• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Booted up TIS-100.

First puzzle, ok Jshackles did a little better on this.

Second puzzle, Jshackles did a lot better on this.

Third puzzle, WTF HE DIDNT EVEN USE ONE OF THE NODES.

Freaking programmers.

I've spent more time reading the game's manual and watching a few basic tutorials and reading up on how the different commands work than I have actually playing the game. Like probably 15 hours of "study" and only a few hours of actually working out the puzzles. I'm trying to savor it. It's pretty in depth, but once you get just the right code in the right place, it's pretty freakin' sweet.

yuraya

Everyone's favorite grey market dealer, cdkeys, had it for $32 a month or two ago. I think it's up to $38+ now.

Yea cdkeys had it at 33 now its up to 42. I never shopped with them so I don't wanna do it unless its last resort or something. Also I don't know if they honor preorder bonuses. I kinda want that soundtrack. I don't know if its a steam only thing.

Having played a LOT of DS2:SotFS in the past 2 weeks, I just realized something that would be really handy would be for FROM to let you save loadouts of armor so you can easily have a few sets done up to switch at a bonfire or something. I suppose they could let you do it via the menus anywhere too, but I wonder if that would go against the design of "no pause" since it would make it easier and less risky to swap out armor on the fly.

Armor set loadouts would be nice but I doubt they do anything like that. Miyazaki probably had everyone think of new ways to screw players over instead lol.

I'm playing through SOTFS as well just to get to the ivory king dlc since that is the one I missed out on with the vanilla version. Really enjoying it but it seems to be the same exact thing as vanilla version except they changed up a bunch of enemies and there seems to be a lot more npc invaders. Also FROM are such trolls for hiding the dlc entrance keys all around the game. The vanilla version just gave them to you ಠ_ಠ

Uncharted 3 corrected the course of the franchise and brought everything closer to the original while retraining some of the advances put forth by the focus on multiplayer in the second game. For me, it was a return to form, and showed me that I was wrong to write off the series as a generic Gears of War clone that Uncharted 2 seemed to be pushing the franchise toward.

I did have one moment where I thought it was all going to take a turn for the worse, but it was just a little deja vu as (Uncharted 2/3 spoilers):
there is a bit where you get to the top of the ship graveyard type area that evoked a lot of the experience of climbing out of the train (twice); the train being one of my least favorite areas of the game. It wasn't though, but something about the longish bit of climbing and the way the camera moved brought back all sorts of bad memories of Uncharted 2.

It's not that I hate it. It just feels rote.

I'll just quote the same thing I wrote about it on a Eurogamer review many years ago:

I read through most of the comments after beating the game, and you know what? The review is right on the money. Yes, the characters are as good as ever, yes, the setpieces are still awesome, and yes, there have been several tweaks made to the engine (you can have more allies assisting you in gameplay, the graphics are sharper, the environments are more expansive).

However, Among Thieves took the original game (which was very good), added a spit-shine polish, totally boosted the gameplay, selection of weapons, a full multiplayer mode, lots of hidden secrets, treasures that felt like they mattered, a plot that upped the stakes, a villain who was a complete monster, compelling new side characters - in short, it codified everything great about adventure games, and became a pinnacle of the genre as a result.

Drake's Deception had a lot to live up to, and in that regard, it tries way too hard, almost to the point of ridiculousness. The setpieces have become completely madcap. After the fifth time a ladder/pipe/walkway I was climbing broke in half, I just about swore at the screen. Not only that, but several of Thieves' interesting mechanics are missing - Drake originally checked items, high locations or switches to aid other characters getting up to him easier (i.e. hitting a ladder for Elena to climb up, assisting her with operating a device in tandem). In this, almost all the characters can do the same things Drake can - Sully can clear ridiculous jumps without missing a beat (he and Drake outrun both a collapsing chateau and collapsing city breaking apart beneath their feet), while Elena has somehow gotten absurdly powerful (to the point that she can take on multiple enemies by herself).

Nathan may as well be called "Calamity Drake" for all the improbable shit that happens to him in this game. Not to mention that it suffers from "cutscene power to the max" - you can plow through twenty or thirty mooks, but the second one of the lead villains pulls a gun on you, the main characters give up.

Marlowe and Talbot are nothing compared to Lazarevic from Among Thieves. Lazarevic shot a hostage Nathan was trying to use as leverage, compared himself to Pol Pot and Hitler, had no qualms about executing people once they outlived their use and was willing to steamroll and execute an entire village for one man. By comparison, Marlowe whines about how Cutter "wasn't supposed to kill" Drake and Sully in the opening, prefers mind-games (most of which Drake either rejects or just laughs off) and ends up dying in a pitiful fashion. Not only that, but the previous game gave us an awesome (if ridiculous) controllable battle against Lazarevic. U3's endfight is mostly a quicktime event. Not only that, but there's a polar difference between both games - in Among Thieves, you were always one step behind Lazarevic. In Deception, you're usually one step ahead of Marlowe.

There really aren't any "breather" moments in Deception - you always feel like you're being pushed towards the next objective, and that there's no time to simply stop, walk around and take in the sights. That's why the village sequence in Among Thieves (where you can just walk around and interact with the villagers) always felt so powerful - you made a connection with the people you had to save later in the game. The entire middle-third of the game is basically one long chase sequence (get information before Marlowe does, escape soldiers, escape Marlowe, chase Talbot, chase a pirate - yes, the desert sequence is amazing, but it still feels like a race against time to find water before you die. All of Deception's breather moments happen in all-too-brief cutscenes. There's no flexibility, either - when you want to go fast and activate an object, you have to wait for characters to finish their speeches about the room/area you're in. When you want to slow down after a huge mission, there's no time because it's either a chase sequence or scripted event.

The linearity is noticeable because many of the areas appear to be smaller than the previous game. With the exception of the chateau and the desert, many of the game's setpieces are set in cramped spaces (villages, towers, an airplane, temples).

In addition, the game is more of a father-son tale between Drake and Sully - to the detriment of the returning and new supporting characters. Chloe is back for more "men are pigs" witty dialogue, but she doesn't grow or change in any conceivable way. Cutter was a very cool addition to the cast (he got one of the few "fuck yeah!" reactions from me when he bluffed Talbot and told the team to escape), but he's gone by the second half, and the sheikh who takes his place is never developed or characterized - he's just window dressing to get Drake to and from his destination.

Also, Elena and Drake apparently married, had adventures and separated between games - it would have been nice to have more time to develop their relationship (again) than the last third of the game.

The stakes weren't high enough in this game - in Among Thieves, you had to stop a general before he became invulnerable. In this, you have to stop a woman who wants to control people with hallucinogenic water (and this is accomplished in a cutscene).

I get where the reviewer's coming from - yes, it's a very good game, but it "up the stakes" like the previous game did, and in a fall/winter full of triple AAA titles, it fell a bit short for me.

Buraindo

Everything should be in order.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Buraindo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Undertale -- MB-8E65C37D957FD975 - Taken by laserlaser. 30 entrants total.

t1456391170z1.png

Uzzy

Finally finished Persona 4 Golden last night. Don't think anything's going to top that, at least until we get it on PC!

Guess I'll go through Shadowrun: Hong Kong's minicampaign next, finish that off. And put more hours into Street Fighter V. The gameplay in that is just so good.

Jadax

Our elections are a joke.

Well this election has become sort of a joke for sure. I'm not saying Obama was the shizzle, but he definitely wasn't as bad as most people make him out to be - it's not his fault he took over with a political shit-storm already brewing.

I just fear for this country if Trump comes into power. He believes we can become strong by building walls around us and kicking everyone out who he believes 'steals our jobs, tricks us into bad deals'.

And on the other side we have a crazy high-strung woman who will most definitely have a melt-down during her presidency (if she gets it) and we're all going to be sitting infront of our TVs saying 'Yep, called it'.

Parsnip

Still conflicted about upgrading my PC. I really want to upgrade the GPU, but I want to keep the form factor of my X51 as well. Which would require a new power board and new power brick, along with the new GPU.

Part of me just wants to run this thing even farther and play games at lower than 1080p settings if need be (I don't plan on going higher than 1080p until this monitor breaks). Though as some of you have seen I'm not quite sure how much longer this thing will last. I've been having to fix it on odd ways. But I just can't purchase anything again at a high price.

The wait for Pascal is long and difficult.

Now that Danganronpa and Disgaea are officially out on Steam, it's about time I made the decision on which game that starts with the letter "D" gets my money.

I think I chose well:

uH4stlU.jpg

Pachimari

I should get back to my Mafia II playthrough as well. The atmosphere is in a class of its own.

Finally finished Persona 4 Golden last night. Don't think anything's going to top that, at least until we get it on PC!

Man, also have to start over this playthrough. Threw out a 10 hour one I had months ago.

They better bring her back for Soul Calibur VI. Talim will forever be my main, as soon as I get to practice with her.

Lain

Default Steam Skin for Life.

My dino-man.

-

Did someone post that Akiba's Trip got an update?

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed
FULL STORIES HEADLINES
2/24/16 patch notes 2:53am

Community Announcements - wyrdwad
- Traditional Chinese has been added to the game's available text languages
- The ability to disable movies has been added to the game's config program

Hektor

sunless sea is strange, i kind of at the same time appreciate how little "playing" you do but i feel like listening to a podcast or something while playing because of how much waiting while traveling there is. kinda sad cos the atmosphere is great

my second character is doing a lot better than my first one, but i feel the game's pushing me to start taking risks and making long trips and i feel that'll end in tragedy

That travelling is the main reason i stopped playing once the free weekend was over. It just gets tedious when everything you've left to explore is the very east of the map, 3 minutes back and forth without much happening.

It was tense at times, because i didn't knew if i'm going to make it before i run out of fuel or not, but a speed up Button would've been nice,

Tho, with such a Button the game would probably be only 2 hours long.

Who, did you choose?

Pachimari

I can't express enough how good Street Fighter V is. It feels so satisfying just practicing and finally having moves on your brain, it feels great earning FM, and even better the longer you get in Survival. It's a ton of fun and one of the best fighters I have ever played. It's the best game that have come out this year, so far.

AHA-Lambda

I just picked up Firewatch and Danganronpa. It's going to be a fun few days.

One is filled with twists, deception and paranoia that ultimately leads to despair and disappointment.
The other is Danganronpa.

Now that Danganronpa and Disgaea are officially out on Steam, it's about time I made the decision on which game that starts with the letter "D" gets my money.

I think I chose well:

uH4stlU.jpg

Idk, I thought it got old quick :/

That travelling is the main reason i stopped playing once the free weekend was over. It just gets tedious when everything you've left to explore is the very east of the map, 3 minutes back and forth without much happening.

It was tense at times, because i didn't knew if i'm going to make it before i run out of fuel or not, but a speed up Button would've been nice,

Tho, with such a Button the game would probably be only 2 hours long.

Can't disagree there, free weekend really turned me on it unfortunately :/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Buraindo, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Buraindo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Undertale -- MB-8E65C37D957FD975 - Taken by laserlaser. 30 entrants total.

t1456391170z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom