• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Speedrunners -- MB-8B0F7E60EADDD6E2 - Taken by fuzzy123

Anyone hates that japanese publishers are really stupid about announcing their games?

I mean Toukiden and DQH came out on PC and I am sure the sequels will also come out (as K-T ports), so why not announce the games directly for Steam?

Instead we get Arslan, that no one really asked for (and is not really a good Musou game sadly) that sold like 3000 now...

Zeknurn

Weird. I could've sworn we'd seen like Remedy saying to look forward to it for Quantum Break PC info or footage, but I guess they said "end of the month" and the 1st is close enough to that.

I think there's a big chance they might drop some new trailers today because the press will inevitably leak things.

Ludens

Banned
Anyone hates that japanese publishers are really stupid about announcing their games?

I mean Toukiden and DQH came out on PC and I am sure the sequels will also come out (as K-T ports), so why not announce the games directly for Steam?

Instead we get Arslan, that no one really asked for (and is not really a good Musou game sadly) that sold like 3000 now...

Yeah, I hate this. My guess is they hope people will double dip on their releases (console and PC).
Because I bet if they announce a PC release in the same time of console one, some people will just wait for the first one. Otherwise (and we saw example right here on GAF too), people will buy the console version first and later the PC one.

In example, I'm pretty sure FF XV will be released on PC too, but maybe six months later compared to PS4/One release (so basically SE will take all sales it could from the console release).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the
Geothermal Valley
or whatever the fuck its called the last zone in Rise of the Tomb Raider?

the performance is even worse than in the last zone, and I cant get the game to run at 60 no matter what I turn down. Ive been reading and apparently even monster rigs cant maintain 60 with shit turned down?

Lain

I wanted Arslan. I don't have a PS4 or X1 so it coming out on PC has been great. The only downside is that the price is high and the day after I forgot to hit a friendly Canadian to get it for me, so now I'll have to wait for a sale.

I don't think publishers are stupid for not spending money to advertise games they believe won't pull in much dough. Some of those ports are done on the cheap and the little advertising shows as much, if the technical prowess of the ports wasn't enough.
They are short sighted in the treatment of their own properties with cheap ports and little to no advertising but they must have reasons to act that way other than stupidity, because they are in the business to make money, not to go out of business. I mean, not everyone is Sega.

Yeah, I hate this. My guess is they hope people will double dip on their releases (console and PC).
Because I bet if they announce a PC release in the same time of console one, some people will just wait for the first one. Otherwise (and we saw example right here on GAF too), people will buy the console version first and later the PC one.

In example, I'm pretty sure FF XV will be released on PC too, but maybe six months later compared to PS4/One release (so basically SE will take all sales it could from the console release).

I just dont understand why japanese publishers are like that. Most western publishers dont do that. You know whether that game is coming to PC or not (most of the time). But with japanese publishers you even see leaks in the SteamDB (like Stranger of Sword City, thats getting constant updates), but it hasnt been announced officially for PC yet.
Or Earth Defense Force 4.1.

I wanted Arslan. I don't have a PS4 or X1 so it coming out on PC has been great. The only downside is that the price is high and the day after I forgot to hit a friendly Canadian to get it for me, so now I'll have to wait for a sale.

I can tell you. Arslan isnt even that good. Thats why I wonder why it has mostly positive reviews on Steam. As a Musou game it feels barebone, similar to Hokuto no Ken 2.

And really. Why do we get that game, when K-T still has better games to port?

Dr Dogg

is the
Geothermal Valley

the performance is even worse than in the last zone, and I cant get the game to run at 60 no matter what I turn down. Ive been reading and apparently even monster rigs cant maintain 60 with shit turned down?

It's the last big open area yes. You do have one more semi open area but that's right near the end.

Corpekata

Banned
is the
Geothermal Valley

It's not the last zone but it's the last big hub.

Arthea

I wouldn't say nobody wants Arslan, it just that nobody wants it at 60€ price.
Then again, it's true that there are too many games to consider, so Arslan is very low priority for me, even at more sane price I wouldn't have bought it most likely.
Once I said there can't be too many games, I'm reconsidering this statement lately.

Also tomorrow Stardew Valley releases, as there will be no talk about it in the steam thread, is there OT planned for it or something?

Nzyme32

Idk, tedious is the wrong word IMO

Grueling seems better, and appropriately so

I can see why people dislike the pacing, but the whole point is the danger of travel, and those long journeys test your resource management, and put you in the same headspace as your crew. Longing for land, amid the vast unforgiving expanse of darkness and water, days, fuel, and supplies slipping by. Like it's part of what makes the atmosphere works so well. If travel was faster, the gameplay tension of planning and surviving long trips, of making tough unpleasant choices to survive long trips, the sense of being a small ship amidst the endless dark, it's all lost

This is spot on.

Sunless Sea is fantastic, if you can accept the grueling nature of the distant journeys into the unknown. I generally play in shorter bursts but quite regularly compared to most games, and seem to find that the perfect way to play through Sunless Sea for me

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it worth going around exploring in Firewatch?

I wouldn't say nobody wants Arslan, it just that nobody wants it at 60€ price.
Then again, it's true that there are too many games to consider, so Arslan is very low priority for me, even at more sane price I wouldn't have bought it most likely.
Once I said there can't be too many games, I'm reconsidering this statement lately.

Also tomorrow Stardew Valley releases, as there will be no talk about it in the steam thread, is there OT planned for it or something?

I'm doing the OT for Stardew Valley

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Far Cry 4 wouldn't be Ubisoft's Far Cry 4 without a silly bug.

There is a checkpoint race side-mission that requires you to drive this vehicle:

2016-02-25_00001lsu4p.jpg

Said vehicle is inexplicably slower when the input method is set to kb&m rather than a controller, and significantly so -- the best time I could get when using the kb&m was around 1m32s whereas I completed the race in roughly 1m25s when using a controller (gold requires 1m30s or lower).

There's also the fact that the latest (and final) patch for the game broke the Gameworks features for Nvidia's 9xx series of GPUs... well, technically, they do work, but only if you feel like putting up with regular driver crashes.

Arthea

We always can force people to buy the game! :p

even forcing to buy can be a problem, let's remember Trails SC here, let alone to play!

I'm so glad it has everything we asked for, from steam cloud to cheevos, now it only needs to be good and bug free.
soon.jpg

unrelated edit:
Dang got first patch:

fixes:
Windows
[FIX] Fixed an issue that would cause various parts of the interface to glitch out and flicker when using the Direct3D renderer.
[FIX] Improved and more secure saving flow, should hopefully fix the lost-progress issues.
[FIX] Fixed an issue where players with sound cards not running at 48khz were experiencing audio issues.
[FIX] Fixed various sound effects appearing broken or as high-pitched static.
[FIX] Fixed pre-rendered movie audio not adhering to BGM volume setting.
[FIX] Fixed ‘What is a Mistrial’ and ‘You Must Acquit’ achievements not unlocking.
[FIX] Updated the achievement descriptions for ‘What is a Mistrial’, ‘You Must Acquit’ and ‘Not From Concentrate’ achievements to correctly reflect the fact that only a single trial needs to be completed under the conditions described.
[FIX] Improved synchronization between Music and Visuals during MTB sequences.
[FIX] Various performance improvements.
[CHANGE] Re-bound the ‘fast forward’ functionality to CTRL instead of SHIFT to prevent conflicts with the Steam Overlay.
[CHANGE] Opening the Steam Overlay will now pause the game.

Dr Dogg

There's also the fact that the latest (and final) patch for the game broke the Gameworks features for Nvidia's 9xx series of GPUs... well, technically, they do work, but only if you feel like putting up with regular driver crashes.

Upon reading this I thought 'well at least you have a retail copy that you can install from disc for v1.00' but then I remembered that was totally fucked sideways until Sunday with missing features and shadows rendering all kinds of weird.

Another case to add to the list of why Valve needs to mandate revision history as a standard.

gelf

This is spot on.

Sunless Sea is fantastic, if you can accept the grueling nature of the distant journeys into the unknown. I generally play in shorter bursts but quite regularly compared to most games, and seem to find that the perfect way to play through Sunless Sea for me

Early game I like the slow pace, its the late game when you've found all the ports on the map that I started to find it tedious. Then its not about going off into the unknown anymore and I had a decent amount of idea how much resources I need to get anywhere. That was the point I stopped playing the game. When I'm just trading between known ports and accessing new stories I'd like a sailing fast forward.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doogie why arent you on steam? ;_;

also Ucheda you gonna give me your CFN Id or what? :eek:

Saty

Is it safe to call this month the most packed February ever in PC's history with notable releases?

ATS
XCOM2
Firewatch
Unravel
Dying Light: The Following
PvZ GW2
SuperHot
Street Fighter V
Disgaea PC debut
Danganronpa PC debut
Expansion for PoE
Expansion for Skylines
Plague Inc out of EA
The Flame in the Flood out of EA

Less notable stuff like:

Cobalt
Michonne Ep1
Layers of Fear
Arslan
ToS

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Upon reading this I thought 'well at least you have a retail copy that you can install from disc for v1.00' but then I remembered that was totally fucked sideways until Sunday with missing features and shadows rendering all kinds of weird.

Another case to add to the list of why Valve needs to mandate revision history as a standard.

Well, HBAO+ alone seems stable, at least. Some people reported that when it comes to god rays and HBAO+ you can have either but not both and I quickly settled on seeing if I could get away with having only HBAO+ enabled -- no crashes thus far (roughly an hour). I do miss the fur, though, and the god rays were a nice touch in more dense scenes.

The Flame and the Flood still runs like complete crap for me. :(

Been playing a bit of Crookz, fantastic game so far. It's like thieving chess set in 60's San Francisco with added Ron Jeremy.

Grim Dawn also launches very very soon!

Wok

So along those lines, whether I choose to steal a candy bar or choose this line of dialogue is inconsequential?

The dialogue between your buddy and you will change a bit, but the main story will be identical. Plus, you will have to explore anyway due to the story unfolding.

Arthea

Is it safe to call this month the most packed February ever in PC's history with notable releases?

ATS
XCOM2
Firewatch
Unravel
PvZ GW2
SuperHot
Street Fighter V
Disgaea PC debut
Danganronpa PC debut
Expansion for PoE
Expansion for Skylines
Plague Inc out of EA

Less notable stuff like:

Cobalt
Michonne Ep1
Layers of Fear
Arslan
ToS

Stardew Valley didn't even make into less notable stuff?

Corpekata

Banned

ATS
XCOM2
Firewatch
Unravel
PvZ GW2
SuperHot
Street Fighter V
Disgaea PC debut
Danganronpa PC debut
Expansion for PoE
Expansion for Skylines
Plague Inc out of EA

Less notable stuff like:

Cobalt
Michonne Ep1
Layers of Fear
Arslan
ToS

Grim Dawn launches today, and Stardew Valley is notable too.

So yeah, a big month.

Dr Dogg

you dont have to be a tosser about it

I had a giggle in one of the story segments in SFV when Birdie was accused of being with Shadowloo he replied' Shadowloo? I ain't with those wanks no more'. Although I kind of place him with a kind of half mockney half brummie accent.

Jawmuncher

I had a giggle in one of the story segments in SFV when Birdie was accused of being with Shadowloo he replied' Shadowloo? I ain't with those wanks no more'. Although I kind of place him with a kind of half mockney half brummie accent.

Birdie was the best part of the story mode. The accent was definitely a part of that.

Uzzy

Birdie's motivation for quitting Shadowloo is just the best, most noble reason anyone could possibly conceive of.

Corpekata

Banned
alrighty, wishlisted

BTW, did it turn to be as good as people hoped for?

It's pretty great so far. I put in like 15 hours in the EA, and I rarely if ever play EA games for more than an hour or two. Only other game I got close to that was Divinity Original Sin.

milena87

alrighty, wishlisted

BTW, did it turn to be as good as people hoped for?

Yep, it's great. I've played a few hours tonight and it has improved a lot. I previously played it when it launched the alpha and later on when it went on early access.

The game now offers even more customization, the crafting seems finally interesting and the gameplay is as fluid as they promised in the kickstarter.

Really loving it so far and I can't wait to continue my hardcore veteran run with my new Occultist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom