• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's an interesting software package and obviously a bit more complex than Idle Master. They're building a SteamKit instance of Steam rather than relying on the client to determine their "in-game" status. Because of this, it's capable of idling games from multiple accounts at the same time, which is a nice bonus for some people (judging by the number of folks that have emailed me asking if Idle Master can do this). It looks like it also has standard "steam-bot" capabilities where you can easily trade between your alts and easily funnel your cards back to your primary account.

I've not used the software so I can't comment on how well it works. Idle Master has always been a "it's good enough for me, and you might get some use out of it too" kind of software. I do have multiple Steam accounts but I don't redeem my extra games to my alt accounts or anything, I really just use them to test different functionality in Enhanced Steam - for example, "what happens on this page if I own less than 1,000 games?" so that's what I use my alt accounts for.

Obviously, one of the things everyone is worried about with Idle Master is "can Valve detect that I'm doing this?" And while it might be possible for them to determine that you're using Idle Master (based on things like how it switches games, average time per game based on it's card drop rate, etc) it would be significantly easier for Valve to detect something like this other program because from their server-side backend they can literally see you and all of your alt accounts connecting from the same IP, and they can easily track all the trades funneling back to your main account. It seems pretty obvious that they don't care about such things, but it is something to keep in mind when using automation software like this. There were several changes I wanted to make to Idle Master to make it more automated, but ultimately decided against it because I felt it made the system too automated and thus much easier for Valve to detect.

Of course, if you connect to a VAC enabled server while either program is running, Valve can see things like what processes are running in memory and can easily detect if you're running Idle Master or the other program (or any program, really) so that's why I don't recommend doing that. Again, it doesn't seem like Valve cares - so I'd say use the best tool for the job that fits your individual needs the best.

Parsnip

i guess i misunderstood then

so then it's probably running on the idtech5 engine. It's the only other possible answer

I could be wrong of course.

My guess for the big download is that they created a shit ton of parcels and plots for the procedurally generated environments. If I could remember his twitter handle at this moment I would ask the engineer who was in the panel.

VpYLVrG.png

giphy.gif

losing all my masters, not sure I can be arsed to level a bunch of newbies up again if it goes completely down the drain >_<

hey at least theres a bunch of new slots for more people to die! dont even know who im missing now tbh

RIP, hope I did good while I was alive.

UE3, actually.

i was joking
I could be wrong of course.

My guess for the big download is that they created a shit ton of parcels and plots for the procedurally generated environments. If I could remember his twitter handle at this moment I would ask the engineer who was in the panel.

makes sense. Glad i have another 2 tbs arriving in the mail today, these 50 gig games are really putting a hurting on my current 1 tb drive

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Put me in coach(?)

M4yskXI.png

RIP, hope I did good while I was alive.

your death was funny at least. it was a boss run, the run itself was fine, but the boss went terribly wrong, everyone started dying and you were the last one alive, and because of how youre setup as a healing sniper, you had no melee skills at all, so it was you alive in the far right spot, with no skills to use. So since it was a wipe, I tried to at least get you out alive, I retreated from the boss, but as soon as you got out of the room, you had a heart attack and died lol >_<

Does that game automatically pick people from your friendlist or are you naming them all yourself?

its me. its like xcom, you can rename your dudes

Dirt Rally is legit

I swear those screenshots looked 20 times better in motion, but you people are going to downsample from 5k or whatever with your silly high tech graphic processors anyway
Kx975A0.gif
Those look great. Yeah, in stills you can see trees looking bad etc. but it's a racing game so it's better they took priorities somewhere else. It does look great in motion.
MetroUI in Win8 always popping up at the borders and corners gets to me :/
OK, I'll give it a last shot with my weird Win8.1 key. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure I'll pay for a Win7 key though.

gelf

I feel this idea usually comes from fan paranoia more then anything stated by the publisher so I can't call it "ransom". This paranoia is fuelled by many Japanese companies not tending to be very transparent with their future plans and still appearing to be in limbo about what they think of the PC as a platform. Even if you complain then you feel like your complaining to some shell of the companies western base that has no decision making influence rather then the actual people in charge. Also some publishers are notorious for being very conservative and likely to react poorly to low sales for any reason.

Not knowing what's going on and feeling unable to communicate to the publisher why a game is unpopular brings the idea that the game must sell well regardless or we'll get no more. So its not exactly ransom, its just shitty in other ways thanks to poor communication.

M4yskXI.png

your death was funny at least. it was a boss run, the run itself was fine, but the boss went terribly wrong, everyone started dying and you were the last one alive, and because of how youre setup as a healing sniper, you had no melee skills at all, so it was you alive in the far right spot, with no skills to use. So since it was a wipe, I tried to at least get you out alive, I retreated from the boss, but as soon as you got out of the room, you had a heart attack and died lol >_<

its me. its like xcom, you can rename your dudes

If you need another meat shield I'll volunteer. It worked out ok for iosefe in XCOM I think....

Dr Dogg

Since Origin is my new digital client best friend (don't worry Uplay it's just a phase I'm going through) I thought I better check out what's coming soon. Complete forgot that Need for Speed, the new one that is from last year, still isn't on PC yet. That's going to be DOA. Though if it pops up on EA Access it's totally worth £4 just to experience the shitty FMVs. They're so bad but soooo good.

finished bionic commando, i dont even know how that thing got greenlit. It's a game about transversal that severely limits your ability to actually explore, it's a game where the main character's design was radically changed from the first game (much to everyone's dismay) and there's zero in game reason given to why he's some sort of focus grouped dreadlocked dirty hippy man now after being a legit badass in the first game and rearmed, the story sucks, and the swinging is only enjoyable until it breaks where then it's a most annoying shit ever.

It's a looker, sure, and that soundtrack is fantastic, yeah, and there are a few moments where i honestly thought "hey, that's kinda neat." but the overall package is just a barely tolerable TPS that should've been much more.

All this witness talk lately reminded me that i never put more than like 30 minutes into Braid so that's what i'll tackle next.

Since Origin is my new digital client best friend (don't worry Uplay it's just a phase I'm going through) I thought I better check out what's coming soon. Complete forgot that Need for Speed, the new one that is from last year, still isn't on PC yet. That's going to be DOA. Though if it pops up on EA Access it's totally worth £4 just to experience the shitty FMVs. They're so bad but soooo good.

It's been what over 2 months and they were trying to figure out how to unlock the framerate or something? That was their reasoning I think.

finished bionic commando, i dont even know how that thing got greenlit. It's a game about transversal that severely limits your ability to actually explore, it's a game where the main character's design was radically changed from the first game (much to everyone's dismay) and there's zero in game reason given to why he's some sort of focus grouped dreadlocked dirty hippy man now after being a legit badass in the first game and rearmed, the story sucks, and the swinging is only enjoyable until it breaks where then it's a most annoying shit ever.

It's a looker, sure, and that soundtrack is fantastic, yeah, and there are a few moments where i honestly thought "hey, that's kinda neat." but the overall package is just a barely tolerable TPS that should've been much more.

All this witness talk lately reminded me that i never put more than like 30 minutes into Braid so that's what i'll tackle next.

Yeah, but your
wife
is your
arm
. That's Grade-A genius there!
How much space do The Witness need? I'm running out of space on my hard drives.
~4GB I think

Unravel is coming next week on Origin...Access people can play the first two levels for up to 10 hours before release

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
if you see this post while scrolling

you have been visited by the sony master race

good games and exclusives will come to you

but only if reply 'thank mr sony' to this post

Needs more ascii art

After the mind-numbing blandness of Tomb Raider, I think it's finally time to give The Swapper a whirl. Should help resuscitate at least some of the cells hurt by TR. Wish me luck, I hear it's a mind-bender.

Swapper was good.

It happens to everyone, there will be a couple of times where that game will break you. dont fear checking out a guide once in a while just so you can kinda wrap your head around some of the game's logic.

I had to use a guide 3-4 times because some of the puzzles were mind melting

Endruen

After the mind-numbing blandness of Tomb Raider, I think it's finally time to give The Swapper a whirl. Should help resuscitate at least some of the cells hurt by TR. Wish me luck, I hear it's a mind-bender.

I really liked, but some of the puzzles turn out to be very difficult. I had to look for a walkthrough for a couple of them.
Also, you might wanna know that for the achievements you are supposed to find secret rooms that are behind fake walls. Nobody tells you that at any point, so better if you know what you have to look for.

Ucchedav&#257;da;194131191 said:
I don't think it counts as murder if it's yourself you are killing
over and over and over again
I gues you didn't swap with the other guy at the end, did you?

Ludens

Banned
It's an interesting software package and obviously a bit more complex than Idle Master. They're building a SteamKit instance of Steam rather than relying on the client to determine their "in-game" status. Because of this, it's capable of idling games from multiple accounts at the same time, which is a nice bonus for some people (judging by the number of folks that have emailed me asking if Idle Master can do this). It looks like it also has standard "steam-bot" capabilities where you can easily trade between your alts and easily funnel your cards back to your primary account.

I've not used the software so I can't comment on how well it works. Idle Master has always been a "it's good enough for me, and you might get some use out of it too" kind of software. I do have multiple Steam accounts but I don't redeem my extra games to my alt accounts or anything, I really just use them to test different functionality in Enhanced Steam - for example, "what happens on this page if I own less than 1,000 games?" so that's what I use my alt accounts for.

Obviously, one of the things everyone is worried about with Idle Master is "can Valve detect that I'm doing this?" And while it might be possible for them to determine that you're using Idle Master (based on things like how it switches games, average time per game based on it's card drop rate, etc) it would be significantly easier for Valve to detect something like this other program because from their server-side backend they can literally see you and all of your alt accounts connecting from the same IP, and they can easily track all the trades funneling back to your main account. It seems pretty obvious that they don't care about such things, but it is something to keep in mind when using automation software like this. There were several changes I wanted to make to Idle Master to make it more automated, but ultimately decided against it because I felt it made the system too automated and thus much easier for Valve to detect.

Of course, if you connect to a VAC enabled server while either program is running, Valve can see things like what processes are running in memory and can easily detect if you're running Idle Master or the other program (or any program, really) so that's why I don't recommend doing that. Again, it doesn't seem like Valve cares - so I'd say use the best tool for the job that fits your individual needs the best.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm ok with Idlemaster, but I was curious on how this software works.

I really liked, but some of the puzzles turn out to be very difficult. I had to look for a walkthrough for a couple of them.
Also, you might wanna know that for the achievements you are supposed to find secret rooms that are behind fake walls. Nobody tells you that at any point, so better if you know what you have to look for.

I'm inclined to say skip the achievements completely.

Like others have said, don't feel too ashamed about using a walkthrough, but give the puzzles time before you do. Sometimes messing up a dozen times makes the way through clearer.

The premise here is alright, possibly even cool.

The presentation looks bland, though. It's a shame that the games hit hardest by the market saturation are indie multiplayer games. They can't seem to sustain a playerbase. Rocket League aside, of course.

VpYLVrG.png

giphy.gif

losing all my masters, not sure I can be arsed to level a bunch of newbies up again if it goes completely down the drain >_<

hey at least theres a bunch of new slots for more people to die! dont even know who im missing now tbh

Put me in coach! I won't disappoint you.

i didn't find a single hidden room in the swapper. Hell, i finished the whole game and got zero achievements.

Didn't affect me but i didn't even think that was possible

i didn't find a single hidden room in the swapper. Hell, i finished the whole game and got zero achievements.

Didn't affect me but i didn't even think that was possible

I didn't find a single hidden room either in my play-through, either, nor did I get any achievements. Apparently all achievements are for the hidden rooms, which explains that.

The premise here is alright, possibly even cool.

The presentation looks bland, though. It's a shame that the games hit hardest by the market saturation are indie multiplayer games. They can't seem to sustain a playerbase. Rocket League aside, of course.

A big problem I see with this game is that you have 20 minute matches, and you are out for the rest of the match once you die. So if you are unlucky, you get to spend 20 minutes doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom