• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

This just in, just about every game gets downgraded from the initial reveal.

never forget

latest

Knurek

Let me help you out
30 is not twice of 20.
It has twice the amount of dialogue in the game. Hence, localization takes twice as long, thus it is assuredly worth double the cost of the first. It's not priced at double though, isn't that nice?

Let me help you with math.
€28 is almost twice as much as €16.

Dr Dogg

This just in, just about every game gets downgraded from the initial reveal.

It's more of the case that poor saps believe what they see presented at a presser like E3 is actually the state of the game in it's current state and not a sectioned of area of the game handed off to a team to put some polish on it to get it to where they want their end target to be. Christ sometimes there's demos made specifically for trade shows when fuck all development on the game has even began. Does this make it ok? No not really and I'm really surprised someone hasn't been sued for it as there have been a fair few instances where there are no disclaimers that the footage was even work in progress.

Ubisoft though seem to have realised they're being caught out by various folks left, right and centre. AssCreed Syndicate had a pretty honest reveal and final game and initial showing are very close together, if not better in various areas too. Rainbow 6 Siege actually has more going on in the final game (on PC at least) that in it's E3 reveal and Ghost Recon Wildlands, short of ridiculous draw distances that probably won't be like that in the console versions at least didn't look anything too techincally impossible for the new consoles.

Yves even said as of last E3 something like that all footage shown off would be representative of final product or playable on target hardware. The Division shown off at that E3 (think it was Dark Zone stuff) while did look similar to PC quality it did still look a notch or two above what the XO looks like. Then again various folks from the press that played it at that E3 said so themselves as XO versions were on the show floor.

It's still going to happen, whether maliciously or not. You can't show someone a cake you havn't baked and you're not going to be enticed to buy that product if at the time all they can show you is a box of eggs, some flower, butter and sugar dumped in a bowl. End of the day don't gut sucked in by the hype.

Tr 13 isnt that good really
But yes the best thing about it is indeed the bow and arrow

Opinions and all that, but TR2013 really is a solid game and a good time.
Go play Strider. :p

Hi Steam-gaf,
My bro Lashman have been pushing me to come by and get involved with steamgaf, for a while now. He is always like - this is the best thread/community in gaf. So here i am. :)

I recently beat Rise of the Tomb Raider and Oxenfree, both of which i really enjoyed a lot. And am now planning to get into The Witness.

Hope im cool enough for this thread. ;)
Any ways Im Pran and my Steam ID is pranooy. So feel free to add me.

Welcome, first and foremost. I do hope you enjoy this thread, as your buddy lashman used to (it was a happier time/place when he actually used to post and be part of the conversation...).

A few things though:
(1) lashman will not be amused that you have capitalized the l in his name. bad form. :p
(2) Best is both subjective and relative. Remember that. ;)
(3) Glad you enjoyed RotTR; this seems to indicate you may have good taste unlike some other vegetable-based posters.
(4) Added. A friend of lashman is usually a friend of mine. Usually. Don't be the guy who breaks the trend. :D

Let's not do this again.

But that's what we always do, Kurt.
This thread is just like the endless cycle in DD:DA.

It took me 56 hours to beat it and I'm not even one of those who talks to the NPCs all the time *shrugs*

Why would you talk to NPCs if they're not required? :lol

Let me help you out
30 is not twice of 20.
It has twice the amount of dialogue in the game. Hence, localization takes twice as long, thus it is assuredly worth double the cost of the first. It's not priced at double though, isn't that nice?

Well, that wasn't helpful at all...

And if there's twice the amount of dialogue in the game, wouldn't it take twice as long to read, and therefore be twice as long?

FC launched at $16.99 (which is probably why people tend to think it costs $15) because of a launch week discount and has been frequently discounted to $10 multiple times since it's release. SC on the other hand launched at $29.99 and has dropped 2-3 times to $26.99. Comparing the launch prices of the two games, SC cost 1.765x the price of FC at launch, which for people generalizing, is close enough to call 2x the price. While you are technically correct when considering the MSRP of the games with no discounts at all, consider your target audience in this thread and then you'll realize that MSRP doesn't matter.

zkylon

zkylewd
deadly tower of monsters looks super lame on the giant bomb quicklook

i wasn't super into it before but still, i'm surprised

edit: i mean, visually it's kinda funny but the narration and the gameplay both sound/look as flat as it gets

Full BP run in both games.
Only thing I haven't been doing vigorously in SC is fishing.
I still talk to each and every NPC after every story event, as I did in FC.

I was aiming for a full BP run too, but I missed the earlier hidden ones in SC and I still ended up with 100 hours.
(missed out on 20 BP, didn't know dialogue affected it and missed the church one)

By any chance are you following a walkthrough/guide?

Also, you're done with SC?

I must be forgetting how long it took me to be FC then. Last time I played it was 5 years ago on the PSP so I could be wrong.

Thought it was around 40 Hours.
It was around 40~50 hours for me.

Nyoro SF

Let me help you with math.
€28 is almost twice as much as €16.

Let me help you out with reading comprehension since I've said it twice now.
Trails SC is worth double the cost of FC.
Actually you have a better deal than the Americans do, you save a grand total of the equivalent of a single USD, lol

It took me 56 hours to beat it and I'm not even one of those who talks to the NPCs all the time *shrugs*

Been a while for me, but if I recall my playthroughs....
FC casual run without investing too much in quests and chatter: ~40 hours
FC full BP run with dialogue abuse: 60 hours
SC casual run: 65 hours
SC full BP run with dialogue abuse: Coming soon, but I don't see how it wouldn't take at least 80 hours minimum

This tends to line up with a few friends of mine who played the games.
Though, I am a very fast reader.

Volimar

XCOM2 WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY WANNA PLAY

Dr Dogg

The hype is getting to me. Anyone know if you can solo the game or do you have to play with others?

Well in my 30ish hours with the beta (over 2 platforms mind) about a third of that was in the Dark Zone, 2 hours of it was the story content and the other 18 was pissing about doing the side stuff and collectables. Dark Zone was mainly in a group, did the story stuff in a group (once with dex and his mate and once matchmade with a bunch of randoms on Hard difficulty and again solo). I'd say you'd have to be a fan of the Ubi Open World Formula for it to hold your attention solo but the story mission on hard is a bit tricky that I found it much more better in a group. Played in on hard in the alpha with me and a mate and it was harder still in the beta with a group of 4 as you get more enemies depending on group size.

I'm looking at it and really I'm thinking from all the info and stuff I've experienced first hand so far that the hook and end game draw is going to end up being the Dark Zone. One of the devs gave a hint that come level 30 the Dark Zone is no longer going to be separated out with level appropriate encounters but be one big level 30 area and repopulated with encounters to suit. So it kind of sound like that's going to be your end game. raid style content to keep you coming back for more loot. Hopefully there's some content drops for PVE style content to keep that aspect of the game fresh after the intial playthrough what content is there but the details released so far about the free content and the season pass content are so devoid on any info that I don't think anyone bar the devs will know until release.

Rock Band: Altered Beast.

Nice.

I couldn't really tell you, never liked the Uncharted games much anyway. Also is it March yet, I want to play Slain.
FYdd4Vk.gif

Slain looks rad as fuck.

I heard from some people who talked to all the town NPCs again after a big story event cause they say new stuff all the time, thats what I meant

Yeah, that's fine and all. But I still don't understand why you'd bother. Do they give you quest information you can't get anywhere else? Do they impact the availability of some item or skill? Unless there's a reason to talk to everyone, the only reason I could see for talking to any NPC is because you were stuck/unsure of where to go next... and if that's the case, you still don't need to talk to every NPC, just a random amount until you hit the one that helps you figure out what to do next. If you know where to go and what to do, to me at least, NPCs are just those things that sometimes walk into my path and make me wish I had a button to push passed them, a la AC games.

If you backed The Flame in the Flood at the soundtrack tier on kickstarter it has been officially released. I've downloaded it and am listening to it now. sogood.gif. If you did not you can still purchase it (because the music's just that good). Amazon has it up if anyone's interested. The game itself continues to receive regular updates and progress is being made on the story campaign. Hopefully it fully releases this year so I can vote for it in the steam gaf goty as I would have voted for it last year had it been eligible.

Well in my 30ish hours with the beta (over 2 platforms mind) about a third of that was in the Dark Zone, 2 hours of it was the story content and the other 18 was pissing about doing the side stuff and collectables. Dark Zone was mainly in a group, did the story stuff in a group (once with dex and his mate and once matchmade with a bunch of randoms on Hard difficulty and again solo). I'd say you'd have to be a fan of the Ubi Open World Formula for it to hold your attention solo but the story mission on hard is a bit tricky that I found it much more better in a group. Played in on hard in the alpha with me and a mate and it was harder still in the beta with a group of 4 as you get more enemies depending on group size.

I'm looking at it and really I'm thinking from all the info and stuff I've experienced first hand so far that the hook and end game draw is going to end up being the Dark Zone. One of the devs gave a hint that come level 30 the Dark Zone is no longer going to be separated out with level appropriate encounters but be one big level 30 area and repopulated with encounters to suit. So it kind of sound like that's going to be your end game. raid style content to keep you coming back for more loot. Hopefully there's some content drops for PVE style content to keep that aspect of the game fresh after the intial playthrough what content is there but the details released so far about the free content and the season pass content are so devoid on any info that I don't think anyone bar the devs will know until release.

Is it really only 30 levels, that seems really few levels for an "mmo". I guess there arent many skills and stats so it is mainly about gun finding and levels don't matter for that. Like Borderlands.

Dr Dogg

So what have we got then regards to games with dedicated buttons for actions?

Rayman had the blow raspberry button.

Transistor had a hum button.

Red Dead Redemption did have a 'howdey pardner' button but it wasn't dedicated.

Is it really only 30 levels, that seems really few levels for an "mmo". I guess there arent many skills and stats so it is mainly about gun finding and levels don't matter for that. Like Borderlands.

Well they did kind of show off all the powers you can unlock. I think there was 4 rows for each speciality wing, so that's 12 powers. And each power has 3 mods to enhance the default action to suit a playstyle so I guess there's room for experimentation. Plus there's also skills and perks for each specific upgrade of each wing you restore but they were locked so couldn't see how many there were but there was break down charts on reddit showing all the available options. Looks a lot but as with every game of this nature there's going to be a go to loadout that will be overpowered until nerfs and balance changes kick in. I think loot is going to be the big draw but if the scenarios to get the drops aren't challenging enough or become to repative then that's going to be a big kick in the teeth right there. Then there's loot drop rates and item variety. Granted getting the legendary guns offered in the beta they did have some nice perks on them with the assault rifle having a healing effect of a certain percent healed to the amount of damage you do on a critical hit. Was a bit had to use as it had some serious recoil to it that even purple tier mods didn't do much to calm it down.

I wonder if they will raise the level cap and add new abilities with the expansions as they come out?

Didnt Conker have a pee button?
Same as Postal 2.

Final Fantasy XIII PC had a dedicated quit button.

def sim

The KOTOR games have a dedicated weapon flourish button. Gotta keep twirling those lightsabers.

Maniac

Banned
Germany have generally been one of the cheaper countries in Europe for PC hardware over the years. In part because a lot of companies European operations are based there and that it's a country with great import/export infrastructure that even still lots of stuff channels through there. I usually order stuff on Amazon.de as even with having to pay for postage (if Amazon extended Prime benefits to different regions that would be some super serious value there) stuff for the most part works out cheaper and half the time comes from the same distributions warehouses anyway. Praise the German [Insert national animal here (is it an eagle?)].
Used to be like that with Prime... When it was changed I cancelled my subscription since it became nigh-useless for me, as Denmark wasn't eligible for Prime's free shipping from neither co.uk nor .de all of a sudden.

I still cry about it every night.
The Logitech G810 keyboard looks very nice, actually - minimalist and practical.

Not sure how the Romer-G keys stack up against the tried and true Cherry MX ones (anyone tried them?), so I'd probably be a bit wary of purchasing sight unseen... but this looks on face value to be a viable alternative to the likes of the Corsair K70.

That... Looks like they looked at the Corsair K70 and were like "We want to make this, let's make this."

... Speaking of, I'm probably buying a K70 or K60 with Cherry Reds soon.

PranooY

Hi PranooY! So.. Cake or Pie?
Cake. ;)
Welcome PrannooY. I remember you.
Yep. https://twitter.com/freshVeggiez/status/690995378372612096
Welcome, I also just finished RotTR btw.
You post so little on gaf so I didn't think you would come in here :p
Ye, I generally stick with twitter gaf. But steam gaf thread look pretty cool, so... ;)
(4) Added. A friend of lashman is usually a friend of mine. Usually. Don't be the guy who breaks the trend. :D
Will try Lol.

Any ways I enjoyed Her Story and was recommended to play Contradiction - Spot The Liar. Its got pretty good reviews on steam. So worth giving it a try?
I'm asking coz i've never heard of this game before finishing Her Story and seeing it on "More Like this". There was no media coverage of this game.

Dr Dogg

Didnt Conker have a pee button?
Same as Postal 2.

Trust Conker!

Final Fantasy XIII PC had a dedicated quit button.

I laughed more than I should have.

The KOTOR games have a dedicated weapon flourish button. Gotta keep twirling those lightsabers.

Ohh fancy.

I remember when DICE used to send me Alpha invites and access without having to do a thing. All that Veteran Rank in BF for nothin' :(

Nyoro SF

Hey Nyoro SF, I beat the
Batomys
chapter in Valkyria Chroonicles, is that the hardest chapter? It sure was a difficulty spike.

It's not the hardest chapter, but I think it has some unfair elements which elevates its status.

That being said though the hardest chapter to me was 14. Also happened to be the most annoying. Chapter 17 is also harder than 7 IMO, but is very fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom