• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
Why does every survival game have to be in first person?

xcmP1.gif

Yes. Because third-person is just plain awful.

I'd say always, but that'd be a lie. Just... Ninety percent of the time.

It's not the hardest chapter, but I think it has some unfair elements which elevates its status.

That being said though the hardest chapter to me was 14. Also happened to be the most annoying. Chapter 17 is also harder than 7 IMO, but is very fair.

Thanks. I was getting tired of getting fucked by that energy rifle thing.

milena87

Any ways I enjoyed Her Story and was recommended to play Contradiction - Spot The Liar. Its got pretty good reviews on steam. So worth giving it a try?
I'm asking coz i've never heard of this game before finishing Her Story and seeing it on "More Like this". There was no media coverage of this game.

Contradiction is great and Jenks' facial expressions are awesome. It's totally recommended.
It was voted nr. 10 in our personal GOTY list.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Any ways I enjoyed Her Story and was recommended to play Contradiction - Spot The Liar. Its got pretty good reviews on steam. So worth giving it a try?
I'm asking coz i've never heard of this game before finishing Her Story and seeing it on "More Like this". There was no media coverage of this game.

HQe07ll.gif

abracadaver

Why is Elite: Dangerous listed under SteamVR for me?

How do I move it back to the rest of the games?

I never had it installed so far.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Yes, it's very much worth playing.

y3sZih8.png

yuraya

People need to stop making fun of FFXIII. Its a great game that everyone should play. Leave it alone.

Pick on something that is actual shit instead pls.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Everything you need to know about XCOM 2 mods

XCOM 2 is coming, and it's bringing mods along with it. Right out of the gate, on day one, you'll be able to use mods with Firaxis' excellent turn-based strategy game (read our review here). The mod tools available at launch mean you'll be able to quickly start creating your own mods as well.

Here's everything you need to know. After launch, we'll be keeping our mod-savviest eye out for player-made mods and judging from information below it won't be long before they start appearing. We'll be updating this article regularly.

How can there be mods the day the game is released?

In an unusual and highly welcome move, Firaxis teamed up with Long War Studios, the mod team that created the Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within. Long War made XCOM more complex and challenging with an extended campaign, new character classes, new weapons and tech, and tons of other tweaks and changes.

The original XCOM didn't officially support mods, and this partnership is an effort by Firaxis not just to include mod support from the jump but to recognize the creativity and dedication of the XCOM modding community.

What mods will be available immediately?

The mod team has a few things planned for launch day. First, there's a mod that adds a submachine gun—an alternative to the assault rifle—which also appeared in the Long War mod. While the SMG doesn't do as much damage or have as much ammo as an assault rifle, it allows a soldier using one to move faster and makes them harder for the aliens to detect.

Another mod will add a bigger, re-textured Muton called a Centurion (menacingly looming above) who will act as a miniboss, feature some new abilities, and appear about halfway through the campaign if you've enabled the mod.

The third mod adds a new development path for your soldiers that allows them to obtain leadership perks, similar to the custom Officer class from Long War. These perks result in buffs that will help the entire squad, but you can only take one of these leadership characters with you at a time. In other words, you'll need to carefully choose which soldier you want to lead along this path.

Most of this information comes to use via Eurogamer.

Where will I find XCOM 2 mods?

XCOM 2 has Steam Workshop support, so you'll be able to subscribe to mods on the Workshop page with a single click and then activate or deactivate them in the game's mod menu. Here's a link to the Steam Community page, where the Workshop will show up.

However, modders will also be able to zip their mods for distribution elsewhere, so expect to find them on other sites like Nexusmods, Moddb, or the XCOM 2 forums.

How can I start making my own mods?

The mod editor, called ModBuddy, will be a separate download of about 45 GB. If it sounds familiar, it's because it's the tool used for Civ 5's mod-making. For Civ 5, Modbuddy can be downloaded as a Steam Tool, and we assume it'll be the same for XCOM 2. With ModBuddy, you'll be able to debug your mods and upload them directly to Steam.

According to the panel at PAX South, the XCOM 2 SDK will provide 1,900 game script files, 2,400 maps, thousands of props, materials, and textures, plus hundreds of character assets and animation sets. There will be procedural level-making system, meaning you won't have to build a map completely from scratch if you don't want to. There will also be a number of biomes to choose from, and the ability to add cinematic sequences to your mods.

If you're not looking to build a massive mod right off the bat, ModBuddy can also be used to make simple tweaks to things like AI behavior, weapon damage, perks, and so on. There will also be a mode called Replay that you can use to set up co-op matches with friends. This info comes to us via iDigitalTimes.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Doom just went on sale at GMG. Hells yes i can actually use my 27% bday coupon on something!

Also is Dark Souls 3 confirmed to be 60 on PC? thats also on sale at gmg.

Arthea

Not going to quote all posts related (to Trails talk), it would take too much effort.

Firstly, playtime depends a lot on using a guide or not using, I don't and I consider only that being a true game length, not with a guide, reasons doesn't matter why would one use a guide.
Secondly we play games for fun (some of us, anyway), talking with NPCs in Trails is for the most part fun, as I said before, even calling them NPCs is kinda injustice. No, they are not playable, but they are essential for the game, for many reasons, and yeah, there are hints, secret quests and all that, not like talking is just for talking and making NPCs into people, even if that is enough.
I'm not gonna post screenshots about examples of said talk, as I don't want frost to get a stroke or something, but you may remember some of them already.
Thirdly I'm enjoying myself, so I'm not in a rush to finish it, for any reason, even 52 games challenge.
And for the last but not least point, people are different, saying that a game (or games) like Trails has some definitive length is simply wrong, because it can be played differently.
That's about it, I think.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Why is Elite: Dangerous listed under SteamVR for me?

How do I move it back to the rest of the games?

I never had it installed so far.

It should also be listed under the "normal" games, games that support Steam VR are just collected in the VR tab too

def sim

ModBot said:
Instructions for def ault:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (def ault, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-6695C43CDF5E2365 - Taken by Lone_Prodigy. 8 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Rayman Origins (Uplay) -- MB-AB123AF30883B68A - Taken by iosefe. 2 entrants total.

t1454606409z1.png

Dr Dogg

It makes me hungry. I love moddybuddies.

What on earth are they?

*goes off a goog-a-ling*

Corn Chex? So I guess like Shredies but made from corn not wheat. Then coated in a mixture of melted chocolate, butter and peanutbutter with a dash of vanilla. Left to set and then dusted with icing sugar? I think I've gained weight just looking that up.

Contradiction is great and Jenks' facial expressions are awesome. It's totally recommended.
It was voted nr. 10 in our personal GOTY list.

It should've been higher.

Also "nr." is not an english abbreviation for number that I've ever seen. # would be the default shorthand.

And since I'm on grammar/semantics, it definitely wasn't my personal GOTY list. Mine had games that "weren't eligible" by the rules of JShackles. :p

People need to stop making fun of FFXIII. Its a great game that everyone should play. Leave it alone.

Dunno if it's something everyone should play, but I certainly enjoyed it enough to 100% it back on PS3.

Doom just went on sale at GMG. Hells yes i can actually use my 27% bday coupon on something!

Also is Dark Souls 3 confirmed to be 60 on PC? thats also on sale at gmg.

No clue on DS3; you'd think it would be, after DS2, but we won't know for certain, I think, until April.

windows 10 popup multiple times in 5m

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Embrace the future.

Not going to quote all posts related (to Trails talk), it would take too much effort.

Firstly, playtime depends a lot on using a guide or not using, I don't and I consider only that being a true game length, not with a guide, reasons doesn't matter why would one use a guide.
Secondly we play games for fun (some of us, anyway), talking with NPCs in Trails is for the most part fun, as I said before, even calling them NPCs is kinda injustice. No, they are not playable, but they are essential for the game, for many reasons, and yeah, there are hints, secret quests and all that, not like talking is just for talking and making NPCs into people, even if that is enough.
I'm not gonna post screenshots about examples of said talk, as I don't want frost to get a stroke or something, but you may remember some of them already.
Thirdly I'm enjoying myself, so I'm not in a rush to finish it, for any reason, even 52 games challenge.
And for the last but not least point, people are different, saying that a game (or games) like Trails has some definitive length is simply wrong, because it can be played differently.
That's about it, I think.

Thanks for the screenshot consideration. ;)

And yes, I do play games for fun. Most of the time. Which is why I haven't bothered with FC, since I'm 99.89% sure I cannot enjoy it based on my penchant for achievement hunting and dislike of the tone/humor/writing used in translation/localization. :p (This is a damn shame, because it was gifted to me and I accepted based on it's reputation as a really solid JRPG not knowing that I would take issue with one of the core aspects of the game as a JRPG.)

Also, while I understand your argument about NPCs, I do not agree with it. I mean, I know why they're there... it would look silly to walk into a town and have no people in it. But giving every single one of them something meaningful to say, something worth reading, something that makes them "jump off the page" (to use a literary term, since we're talking about how they're written)... that's just about impossible.

Your final point is something I was going to bring up myself... trying to assign length to a game like trails is somewhat arbitrary because you will have people that use guides, people that skip through most/all of the dialogue, people who do everything, people who only do what's required, etc.

anyways, wheres SFV the cheapest guys? CDkeys is sketchy, right?

Nobody reads the OP... nobody reads the thread either, it seems. :p
It's been covered already, for sure, in the last couple pages (depending on your PPP).

Gamesplanet was mentioned at having it for $40.
CDKeys has it for $36 or so, but whether or not you're willing to buy from a grey market key reseller is up to you.

Edit: FFS, Hektor posted this in REPLY TO YOU:
40€ on Gamesplanet. gogo

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What on earth are they?

*goes off a goog-a-ling*

Corn Chex? So I guess like Shredies but made from corn not wheat. Then coated in a mixture of melted chocolate, butter and peanutbutter with a dash of vanilla. Left to set and then dusted with icing sugar? I think I've gained weight just looking that up.

There are a few varieties of chex, including wheat, rice, or corn, and I don't use butter when I make them, but you're on point otherwise.

They are surprisingly light, as far as sugar-coated, peanut butter chocolate drenched breakfast cereal goes. You get fat from the volume you eat.

Bus, what happened to your avatar?

He's... Smiling.

He's... He... He looks happy.

I think I'm the only person totally satisfied with how merging the two February threads went.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What on earth are they?

*goes off a goog-a-ling*

Now I know how you guys felt when I was scratching my head trying to figure out what Döner meat was. Muddy buddies (or as we called them in the Southern US "puppy chow") is amazing.

Arthea

Also, while I understand your argument about NPCs, I do not agree with it. I mean, I know why they're there... it would look silly to walk into a town and have no people in it. But giving every single one of them something meaningful to say, something worth reading, something that makes them "jump off the page" (to use a literary term, since we're talking about how they're written)... that's just about impossible.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that every single human you meet in Trails is interesting to talk to, but it's as close to that as any game ever got. Of course, to get to know all them in detail, give everyone not only character and opinions but personal story also, would take a book, or rather huge series. So you are right about impossibility of it in literary sense, but what they did in Trails is truly amazing and worth praise, even if it makes localization pain in the ass.

Just upgrade ya dumbos.

bbbut driver problems, compatibility problems

I upgraded, it's better than win8, that's for sure

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
-HORROR ALERT-

I've decided to make the call and after every month is up, do a Horror Alert to fill you all in on what horror releases came out during the previous month (and the start of the month this time, I guess) that are worth looking into. Won't spend so much time on each game, but to inform those who may be curious.

I haven't played every horror game of January yet, so any I might play in the future but missed mentioning here I think are worth mentioning I'll mention the month after as "Missed but worth checking out" titles from the previous month.

For prosperity I'll also not include Early Access games, UNLESS they're absolutely top of the line and worth mentioning, or when they come out of Early Access otherwise.

With that said...

---

Pony Island - $4.99

Release Date: January 4, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Pony Island is a suspense puzzle game in disguise. You are in limbo, trapped in a malevolent and malfunctioning arcade machine devised by the devil himself. It is not a game about ponies."

My Quick Take: A game where the less you know, the better going in. A 2-3 hour experience, not scary but quite interesting. Minor spoilers you can figure out in the first 30 minutes of play:
A super meta-game, maybe one of the best meta games yet, with a unique story about you being a 'playtester' for a game that may or may not be made by the Devil, with the coat of a Pony Runner-type game. Has a lot of twists, turns, and tricks.

---

OxenFree - $19.99

Release Date: Jan 14, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Oxenfree is a supernatural thriller about a group of friends who unwittingly open a ghostly rift. You are Alex, and you’ve just brought your new stepbrother Jonas to an overnight island party gone horribly wrong."

My Quick Take: Very good narrative-based game that's set somewhere in the thematic of 80s horror. The main gameplay elements are exploring, tinkering with a radio you have for signals, and conversing with the people you came with on vacation. A lot of different potential pathways, events, beautiful art style and music, and actually a really good story. Think of it as an atmospheric take in a world kind of like some anthology horror show like Twilight Zone, but with a consistent cast with an on-going narrative and some actually well-written Teen Drama.

---

header.jpg

Fear Equation - $14.99
Release Date: January 15, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Fear Equation is a turn-based horror strategy game where you play the engineer of a modified freight train, built to protect its occupants from a deadly fog that brings their nightmares to life. Survival depends on analyzing passengers' dreams, crafting defenses, upgrading, scavenging and resource management."

My Quick Take: Actually an incredibly interesting Horror Rogue-Like Strategy game. I can't help feel this was inspired by FNaF's a bit, but it's a lightly inspired by, not a rip-off is a clear point to make. In the game, you have a 'turn' to make a certain amount of actions with a variety of things to do; you're in a conductor's car on a train that's being attacked by nightmare creatures of surprising variety. Elsewhere on the train there's survivors who want to live. But you also have to protect yourself from the monsters and make sure you are able to bring the train to a safe stop. You can only do so much in a turn; do you help the survivors, help yourself, try and work on getting this train out of control to rest, or other things. But nothing is as easy as it seems; the survivors are panicking as a strange fog is bringing their personal nightmares to life, you need to communicate and calm them down, and then direct them to be safe... There's more, but it's an interesting game of resource management, communication, decision making, and managing different systems while nightmare creatures wreck havoc.

---

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster - $19.99

Release Date: Jan 19, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Before the mansion, before the destruction of Raccoon City, there was Resident Evil 0. Now remastered with improved visuals and sounds, as well as the all-new Wesker Mode, there's never been a better time to experience the origins of the Resident Evil story."

My Quick Take: A fantastic remaster of a one of the weakest old-school Resident Evil games; but even the weakest of the older Resident Evil games still makes it a very good game. Tough in places, with more resource management than usual and a kind of weak narrative and enemy selection, the game has fantastic environments and details, some fun if not easy puzzles, mixed with strategizing to survive, limited supplies, slowly unlocking more areas and maneuvering dangerous situations, it features some changes and 'quaintness' to previous entries, but stands as maybe the best-looking classic survival-horror game of all time to date.

---

Arctic alive - $3.99

Release Date: Jan 29, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Arctic alive - a simulator with elements of survival horror. The action takes place in Siberia on the research station "Arctic". There was something in what is necessary to understand the player. The world is open for exploration."

My Quick Take: I'm not sure if this is a particularly 'good' game, but it's worth mentioning. If you can like creative, quirky games with low-budget and rough around the edges elements, there is stuff to like here (a few things they need to patch, however). You basically are stuck in some Arctic outpost and can do misc things; water the plants, exercise, read a book, etc. And you take care of needs; you need warmth, you need food, and doing misc things like exercising will increase stamina, or bathing will decrease odor, etc. The eventual goal is you want to escape the outpost, but leaving is not so easy, there's wildlife like bears out there that will eat you... But the longer you stay at the outpost, the more nightmarish it gets, as strange shadow monsters begin to slowly take over. Again, not really a good game, but it's interesting and has some appeal, some rough edges, but might be worth checking out if it sounds interesting to you.

---

Rusty Lake Hotel - $1.99

Release Date: Jan 29, 2016

Official Synopsis: "Rusty Lake Hotel an eerie point-and-click adventure developed by the creators of the intriguing Cube Escape series."

My Quick Take: Actually a pretty good horror point'n'click. About 3-5 hours long, has a nice visual style, and interesting kind of grotesque story, some challenging puzzles, and a good growing uneasy feeling. You are Mr. Owl in a hotel littered with animal-headed guests, but there's murder afoot, and maybe more... It has some violence and gore, but in an interesting, twisted way, and the story than unfolds is actually pretty nice.

---

IMSCARED - $3.99

Release Date: Jan 31, 2016

Official Synopsis: "I need a Heart in order to open it"

My Quick Take: This started as a remake of a 2012 freeware game, and became a much expanded, now paid version. At the time of writing it has a few bugs it seems the developer is ironing out, but this game is completely worth checking out. It has a very pixely-3D style, and the game can be quite effective in doing what its title implies. It's got some great atmosphere, twists and turns, and surprises up its sleeve. Maybe wait to play it when it's a bit more ironed out, but a good remake/expansion of a good freeware horror game, another one that's best to go in knowing as little as possible. If you want an idea of what it's about, it's original freeware 2012 version is still available of course.

---

Will fill you guys in for February horror releases next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom