• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Unrelated to your post, but definitely related to your tag:

Being a Bostonian (or something like that), have you played D4?
If you have, I'd be curious to know what you think about how Swery has represented Boston in the characters of David, Teddy, etc.?

Well, not to ruin the mystique behind my tag, but:

1) I'm not a Bostonian or anything close to it. I grew up in Massachusetts and currently live about 40 minutes from what people not from Massachusetts consider Boston. I've spent a fair share of time there, but I'm not going to pretend to own the city outside of it being my state capital.

2) I don't have a "Boston" accent either. It's actually quite rare and it legitimately startles me every time I encounter it in public. For those wondering, I have something pretty close to the neutral American accent.

3) Haven't played D4, but you now have me interested. I imagine he didn't do a particularly good job of it as no one does.

Not going to quote all posts related (to Trails talk), it would take too much effort.

Firstly, playtime depends a lot on using a guide or not using, I don't and I consider only that being a true game length, not with a guide, reasons doesn't matter why would one use a guide.
Secondly we play games for fun (some of us, anyway), talking with NPCs in Trails is for the most part fun, as I said before, even calling them NPCs is kinda injustice. No, they are not playable, but they are essential for the game, for many reasons, and yeah, there are hints, secret quests and all that, not like talking is just for talking and making NPCs into people, even if that is enough.
I'm not gonna post screenshots about examples of said talk, as I don't want frost to get a stroke or something, but you may remember some of them already.
Thirdly I'm enjoying myself, so I'm not in a rush to finish it, for any reason, even 52 games challenge.
And for the last but not least point, people are different, saying that a game (or games) like Trails has some definitive length is simply wrong, because it can be played differently.
That's about it, I think.

Agree wholeheartedly. Just thinking about these games makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I need more Estelle and Joshua in my life.

Backlogger

Did Tomb Raider already drop out of the charts?? Can't find it anymore, only under "Popular New Releases"

All those cheap Nvidia keys

Also, some people aren't liking it because its only a slight improvement over the 2013 TR.

I'm enjoying it for what it is though! They really tightened up on the formula from the last version.

ViviOggi

TEN MINUTES TILL XCOM

Well, not to ruin the mystique behind my tag, but:

1) I'm not a Bostonian or anything close to it. I grew up in Massachusetts and currently live about 40 minutes from what people not from Massachusetts consider Boston. I've spent a fair share of time there, but I'm not going to pretend to own the city outside of it being my state capital.

2) I don't have a "Boston" accent either. It's actually quite rare and it legitimately startles me every time I encounter it in public. For those wondering, I have something pretty close to the neutral American accent.

3) Haven't played D4, but you now have me interested. I imagine he didn't do a particularly good job of it as no one does.

I was just thinking about when the tag came about (didn't it have to do with the fact that Fallout 4 was set in the Boston area) and the revelation that you were from MA (and thus giving you the Boston-esque tag)...

At first I couldn't stand the guy they got to voice David... but as I've been playing D4, it's become rather endearing in a way. It's some sort of super-absurd take on some of the tropes associated with Boston, I suppose -- as evidenced by Teddy talking about how him and his wife (both being previously from NYC) are fighting about which clam chowder is best. :lol

Pachimari

Okay, I'm sold on The Sims 4. I'm gonna get it sometime today or tomorrow. It's totally my game. I love decorating and designing. And I loved The Sims 1.

I'm from the Boston area and I had no idea D4 took place here.

David Young used to work for the BPD!
His apartment, where a good chunk of the game is spent, is located in "Thompsonville, MA".

Here is David performing what I can only describe as some sort of strange Bostonian eating ritual:
3431E890FD7A814C0B8A21097F926C459FB4CCE6

Lain

My ISP had set isthereanydeals emails as spam some time ago, so I had to set a filter to get them without having to always look at the spam folder.
Fast forward to today: I get 41 emails about a Raiden 3 deal on Imperial Games.
Maybe my ISP wasn't wrong, isthereanydeals is spam.

Its been on my wishlist forever, I now need to get this.

Okay, I'm sold on The Sims 4. I'm gonna get it sometime today or tomorrow. It's totally my game. I love decorating and designing. And I loved The Sims 1.

giphy.gif

I'm a huge Sims fan and you should not get The Sims 4. First off, Sims 4 isn't on steam. Second, the Sims 4 is the worst Sims game. Get The Sims 3. Its better in everyway to Sims 4 AND its on steam.

Pachimari

I got The Sims 3, but why is it better than The Sims 4 with all of its patches and updates? I also like the more cartoony look to Sims 4.

morningbus

David Young used to work for the BPD!
His apartment, where a good chunk of the game is spent, is located in "Thompsonville, MA".

Here is David performing what I can only describe as some sort of strange Bostonian eating ritual:
3431E890FD7A814C0B8A21097F926C459FB4CCE6

Credit where credit is due: they're using the right type of hotdog bun.

I'm still not used to the lack of all-caps STEAM in this thread title.
r1DmuUI.jpg

Dr Dogg

So my phone just pestered me to say that seeing as it's the Final Fantasy Portal app's anniversary, for a limited time FFII will be free (portal app version just like FFI was on launch of it a year ago). Meanwhile on Steam...

Lain

morningbus

Sentence case is still better than lower case.

Also fitting with the merged threads taking on properties from each respective creator.

For the record, my April thread's title was changed from sentence case to lower case.

And I approve of how the merger was handled because it upsets the most amount of people. You know MrOrange is still punching the same hole in the wall being stuck with this title format.

Another opinion request: The Banner Saga

What can SteamGAF tell me about this gaem? Is it worth it?

I liked it a lot, IMO a no-brainer if you like srpgs.
It's not very long and only the first part of the story so don't expect the plot to be anywhere near resolved by the time you finish it.
The game is gorgeous, challenging and between fights there's a strong emphasys on resource management. During these segments the game will force you to make tough choices that can have a huge impact on the survival of your group.

I got The Sims 3, but why is it better than The Sims 4 with all of its patches and updates? I also like the more cartoony look to Sims 4.

Ok then, I won't stop you. However the game still isn't anywhere close to the game Sims 3 was. Issues are:

• There isn't any generational play. If you want an epic family tree that means something, it's not happening.
  • The Sim multifunctional AI, while neat at first, the characters end up having OCD. Just because they are aware of multiple tasks doesn't mean much if they can't do multiple tasks.
  • Due to the lack of create a style and custom colors, everything looks kinda samey.
  • Without the open world, there isn't that much to do outside the house. With the Get to Work expansion there is an area large enough to have groups and outdoor activities make sense but its just one uncustomizable area.
  • Everything feels smaller in scope.

However, they just unleashed a bunch of free updates and Gardening is coming back in the gardening game pack!
https://www.thesims.com/news/16th-anniversary-items

I need an intervention, don't I?

You mean D4 isn't a Telltale game?

In a way, D4 was Life is Strange before Life is Strange existed.

Spoilers comparing a core premise of both games:
David Young ends up with the power to go back in time and "investigate the past" after experiencing a tragic and life changing event, possibly changing the future along the way by diving into special objects called mementos. He even gets nosebleeds from using this special power implying it may cause him physical harm to do so.
Max Caulfield ends up with the power to go back in time and "fix the past" after experiencing a tragic and life changing event, with the goal of changing the future and "fix the past" by diving into her old photographs. She even gets nosebleeds from using this special power implying it causes her physical harm to do so.

Ludens

Banned
Yeap, pretty much confirmed at this point. I wonder how big it will be considering how many games skipped the weeklongs.

We have just enabled the Sale Approval tool for an upcoming Steam Sale event. The sale is confidential, do not publicly discuss it before it begins.

More information about the sale itself is available from the tool page, which you can access under the Apps & Packages dropdown in Steamworks. Like the most recent Steam Sale events, we’re asking for just one discount which will run for the duration of the event.

Please read the instructions on the tool page carefully. If you need advice on how to select an appropriate discount, check out our best practices documentation here. If you have problems accessing the tool or submitting a discount, let us know in the Steamworks Developer Forums. Thanks!
Azrael: This is a final reminder of an upcoming Steam Sale Event.

More information about the sale itself is available from the Sale Approval page, which you can access from your Steamworks home page, under the Apps & Packages dropdown.

Please read the instructions on the tool page carefully. If you need advice on how to select an appropriate discount, check out our best practices documentation. If you have problems accessing the tool or submitting a discount, let us know in the Steamworks Developer Forums.

Remember that discounts stack by default, so please check the dates of the sale from the Sale Approval tool, and if you have any discount overlaps that need to be resolved (like a launch discount or a weeklong deal), let us know here in the developer forums and we'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pachimari

Ok then, I won't stop you. However the game still isn't anywhere close to the game Sims 3 was. Issues are:

• There isn't any generational play. If you want an epic family tree that means something, it's not happening.
  • The Sim multifunctional AI, while neat at first, the characters end up having OCD. Just because they are aware of multiple tasks doesn't mean much if they can't do multiple tasks.
  • Due to the lack of create a style and custom colors, everything looks kinda samey.
  • Without the open world, there isn't that much to do outside the house. With the Get to Work expansion there is an area large enough to have groups and outdoor activities make sense but its just one uncustomizable area.
  • Everything feels smaller in scope.
I think I'm gonna install and give Sims 3 another go instead of spending money on Sims 4 then. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom