• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

JRPG is a useless description if it solely means "game with RPG elements developed in Japan".

it's not what it used to mean, it used to mean menu based combat story heavy character based RPGs. What means ARPGs are not JRPGs, they are ARPGs, same with TRPGs.
People made such a big deal of a word Japanese in later years like last 5-6 years, that now it means literally nothing and is useless.

Lomax

This sale is bizarrely placed. It would have made a lot more sense next month, or maybe the month after. It's been literally a month since the winter sale ended. So here we have a sale that seems to include some ideas that probably should have been in that sale, way too soon, so the deals are basically the same (or worse), and most people aren't going to have more money for games yet.

What's the verdict on the Humble Monthly Bundles so far? Worth the $12? At least the contents of their regular bundles haven't seemed to decrease.

Arthea

It's pretty handy for the people who buy them though because it tells them everything they need to know: Japan.

only there are quite a few JRPGs made not in Japan, I'm not going to bring french fries argument again, because if people don't get it without explaining, they won't get with as my experience with such arguments shows.

it's not what it used to mean, it used to mean menu based combat story heavy character based RPGs. What means ARPGs are not JRPGs, they are ARPGs, same with TRPGs.
People made such a big deal of a word Japanese in later years like last 5-6 years, that now it means literally nothing and is useless.

Yeah, the terminology has diluted and become synonymous with any Japanese game nowadays :(

Teggy

Well damn, I shouldn't have bought volume and then not played it.

They need to allow you to hide games on your wish list so I can put that bunny game on it :p

What's the verdict on the Humble Monthly Bundles so far? Worth the $12? At least the contents of their regular bundles haven't seemed to decrease.

If you don't own a lot of games, the monthly HB can be pretty good on getting some quality games. For folks like me, which from this bundle I own 4 out of the 6 games, I'm still a bit wary.

Bundlestars are doing something again:

From AAA to awesome Indie, we're giving away 20 mystery Steam keys on the blog. Check it out http://bstars.co/winmystery

CaeLtisUkAA7Yyt.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
only there are quite a few JRPGs made not in Japan, I'm not going to bring french fries argument again, because if people don't get it without explaining, they won't get with as my experience with such arguments shows.

Actually not attempting to be a jerk here: what are some of the games that are generally considered JRPGs that aren't made in Japan?

I've seen some games that are "inspired by" or "in the style of" but not ones that a fan of JRPGs would call a JRPG.

It's pretty handy for the people who buy them though because it tells them everything they need to know: Japan.

Hahaha.

Can I immediately cancel the Humble Monthly subscription after paying?

Sure? As soon as they charge you and it unlocks the current monthly so you get ARK or whatever, you can cancel and you'll get the rest of the March games when they come out and will not be subscribed to the April bundle.

You're right, it's kind of useless as it is now, but once upon a time, it conveyed a distinct style of game (and there still can be meaning there if it's used as such). Broadening a genre to encompass everything from a given country really does make it useless as I said above...

JRPG is a useless description if it solely means "game with RPG elements developed in Japan".

Which now has me wanting to go into that thread and list a bunch of character action games as my top 5 JRPGs, since they all have RPG elements in buying skills with currency earned by fighting enemies and they were developed in Japan. :lol

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2. Devil May Cry 4: SE
3. Devil May Cry 3
4. Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma
5. Bayonetta

Or something like that... :D

Unai

Actually not attempting to be a jerk here: what are some of the games that are generally considered JRPGs that aren't made in Japan?

I've seen some games that are "inspired by" or "in the style of" but not ones that a fan of JRPGs would call a JRPG.

Maybe South Park: The Stick of Truth and Child of Light? I don't really know, just guessing.

Also, there are other titles besides the souls games that don't follow the Pokemon formula, like Xenoblade. Why would Xenoblade and Final Fantasy XII be JRPGs and not Baldur's Gate?

The more I think about it, the more useless I think the term is now.

Which now has me wanting to go into that thread and list a bunch of character action games as my top 5 JRPGs, since they all have RPG elements in buying skills with currency earned by fighting enemies and they were developed in Japan. :lol

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2. Devil May Cry 4: SE
3. Devil May Cry 3
4. Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma
5. Bayonetta

Or something like that... :D

Sure, but those games are usually not considered to be any kind of RPG, nor W, nor C, etc, so that would probably backfire.

Worse than just having the standard weekend sale on 1-2 games?

This kinda came out of nowhere so it's no surprise that publishers weren't sure how to price things.

Its hit or miss. The christmas sale, there were less titles on my wish list on sale than there are now and a few that were are getting greater discounts.

Xanathus

I kinda want to get Arkham Knight, I guess I can refund it if it doesn't run well on my rig. Someone give me a reason not to.

zkylon

zkylewd
The latest FROM games fit predominately in the Action RPG... but beyond that, it doesn't have any of the normal "staples" of a JRPG like Persona/Final Fantasy/etc. It's closer to something like Devil May Cry than it is to Final Fantasy or Persona.

I was thinking of posting in that thread until I saw all the "souls" this and "bloodborne" that and figured it wasn't a discussion I really wanted to be a part of.
I did.

Thats what I would classify it.

my point is, genres are dumb, dark souls is a japanese rpg, even if it's not a straight jrpg, and i wouldn't judge how other ppl do that stuff since discussing things based on conventions is kinda silly when the conventions themselves are arbitrary and actually kind of unclear

jrpg for a lot of people means rpg from japan, while for other ppl it means story-heavy turn based combat filled with anime tropes

similarly wrpgs can range from deus ex to baldurs gate to mass effect and alpha protocol and skyrim

genres have their uses, but i feel being really strict about them is silly

who decides which meaning of the word jrpg is the proper one?

Dr Dogg

Remember when this blind sided a load of folks because of the title?
I mean granted mechanically it's got quite a few things in common with that Mana game and while it's got a few hints in the plot that it's Made in the USA, going by the localisations of eastern titles brought over to the west from that era you could easy think otherwise.

Pachimari

The only thing I'll bought from the Steam sale is "Pinball FX2 - Civil War Table" just so I could erase the game from my hard drive and still own it. Then I go to check it's there in the DLC tab and realizes I already bought The Force Awakens table, and thus I had no need of buying the Civil War table. At least it was only €0.74.

Teggy

The jrpg/wrpg thing is pretty dumb because for the longest time it was understood that jrpg meant "like Final Fantasy" and wrpg/crpg meant "like Baldurs Gate" and there were exceptions but everyone seemed to get it and no one got uptight about it

And I know I dump on Dark Souls a lot but it's no coincidence that a lot of this silliness started because somebody always has to jump in and say "Dark Souls is the best JRPG."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Jesus. Another sale. Even GMG has a sale. I cant afford any of it.
vO1sHmy.gif

Maybe South Park: The Stick of Truth and Child of Light? I don't really know, just guessing.

The more I think about it, the more useless I think the term is now.

Hm, I know I wouldn't consider them JRPGs, but I guess South Park has more in common with Final Fantasy than Skyrim.

Wok

Talos DLC is on sale. It was not at the beginning of the sale. It seems like prices are still getting updated..

CFFa2Dm.png

Pachimari

What is the cheapest item I can buy from DOTA 2, that will let me erase the game after but still let me own it?

Will the "Savvy Tarsus" currently on sale for €0.93 do the trick?

AsylumX

The key to the monthly bundles is how many games you own and what kind of games you like. So far I got every bundle and the only game I already owned was Spelunky and in every bundle i got at least 2 or 3 games i already wanted from my wishlist and a couple of good surprises.

The thing is that I now that i won't last forever, some time soon the bundles will get bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom