• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikurden

But, I mean, are those games that fans generally agree are JRPGs? It's like with anime where a lot of people won't recognize Korra as an anime because of where it was produced.

I think expanding the meaning of JRPG is important personally, because as "game from geographical region" it's useless. But I still think for most people it requires the game to be made in Japan.
I think the only way these terms have any useful meaning is if you read them as standing for "Japanese-style RPG" and "Western-style RPG" (this of course assumes you understand the distinction between the respective styles). I know there are people who insist a JRPG is simply one made in Japan, but I agree that's totally useless.

For all the flak I gave TR13, credit where credit is due. I didn't experience any technical problems. In RotTR I have. There was a Tip-UI element which didn't go away, the map doesn't show anything from time to time and performance got very inconsistent in the
Russian Base
. I had a very stable 60 all the way to that point but then, wammy! It goes from 35-60 without sense or rhyme.

Besides that I can imagine this game being a blessing/torture for completionists ;) Hub areas have a lot of places and caverns to explore, which I enjoy in RotTR more than in TR13. I think I figured what makes combat a bit iffy for me. The camera is way too close to Lara. Would have preferred a more distanced look ala Uncharted.
I'll probably skip listening to audio logs from now on though, it's just not fun (please patch that CD!).

Other than that, RotTR is definitely a better game than TR13. I'm having a much better time with this.
Danke Zensursula.
Yeah, it's stupid. Dying Light also is not visible here :/
Why is Dragon's Dogma listed in the sale.... but has no discount? Haha.
ARK: Survival is the one game not hidden in the next humble. $12 for that and whatever else might not be too bad.
That sounds good, gotta ask around a bit and might get the monthly this time only. So, what were the February games?
So this just happened...

Perfect description of events.
You game in SLI? Nice. How come the clocks are so low?

Xa7rDfd.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dropsy -- MB-53D24A2A61BB5D47 - Taken by Spirited. 24 entrants total.

t1454710214z1.png
If you're not into cyclops girls with scars.

PranooY

Is D4 worth getting? I mean wasn't there another season planned but cancelled, since this didn't sell well. I just don't want a cliffhanger or an unfinished story.

Tizoc

I don't need this ish
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

xheRJRF.gif
Alien Shooter -- MB-367CA96DB68AF9E2
What's under your blanket?! -- MB-9F783BAE99568F11 - Taken by madjoki
xheRJRF.gif
Zombie Shooter 2 -- MB-39DB44B3FB96D061 - Taken by Eila
xheRJRF.gif
Zombie Shooter -- MB-08DFAD9D4ACE3950
xheRJRF.gif
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded -- MB-7F7D3109B256372F

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nah. The sales have been mostly underwhelming since Valve got rid of daily/flash deals. And maybe even before that.

This could also be a function of price normalization across the platform. Back in the prime of Steam sales, publishers would routinely put their games up for 75% off or more (especially those that were featured as part of the "daily deals" or "flash deals", as you say) and those discounts were more profound because there were less games on the platform. Like, way less. When I started using Steam in 2011, there were only about 2,000 games on the platform, and everything was 100% curated by Valve.

Around the winter sale 2014 (after the latest "store update" went live) we started seeing a shift in Valve's priorities when it comes to sales. This was, I think, the tipping point where a number of factors converged to make the Steam sales overall worse than they were previously. We have Valve officially giving up on curating their own store with the advent of the "discovery queue", we have a swell of users joining the platform, we have an absolute shitload of new games and content available on Steam, and all of these factors converged to create sales that are much more lackluster than they were previously. The Winter Sale 2014 was the last time we saw flash sales, and the following sale (Summer 2015) was the last time we saw daily deals, presumably because of other Steam features that would interfere, such as refunds.

It simply comes down to this: Valve doesn't want to give publishers the illusion that they're being curated in any way. Valve says: "Enter your sales prices, and those games will be on sale for the entire sale", then picks some of the better more popular deals to be "featured" on the homepage each day and I'd put money on the fact that even that selection process is automated. Valve wants publishers to feel like their sales will rise and fall based only on the merits of their games and the price point they're selling at. It's crucial to their ecosystem, because if new developers or publishers feel like the deck is stacked against them from the onset, they're much less likely to want to become part of the ecosystem.

The developers of Turbo Pug using the old rules had exactly 0% chance of being featured on the Steam homepage for any longer than it took their game to get removed from the "new releases" list, especially during a sale. Using the new format, there is a chance (however low) that they could be. Publishers know this and it drives them to create content and continue releasing it on Steam.

The current sales are still subjectively good, but are nowhere near what they were in the "glory days" of Steam. On July 1, 2011 I bought this pack for $4.99. Today, on sale, it's $14.98. Tons of other stuff I bought in 2011 is either more expensive now or the same price as it was on sale back then, and we're talking about games there are now over 5 years old.

I know it's popular to say "well Steam sales are just worse now because you own more stuff" but I think that there are quantifiable reasons why we can say "these sales suck" and be unequivocally correct.

Jawmuncher

Is D4 worth getting? I mean wasn't there another season planned but cancelled, since this didn't sell well. I just don't want a cliffhanger or an unfinished story.

Then you don't want to buy this right now. He's still working on more D4 I believe but who know's when we'll see it.

A thing.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Seeders -- MB-14E97AAA325B09CE - Taken by madjoki

chronomac

Monthly extras:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-0119ECA0C18E7772 - Taken by Kiru. 10 entrants total.
Titan Souls -- MB-06FC22F78F20C6D2 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 6 entrants total.

t1454702054z1.png

yuraya

Wow this past months humble monthly was very good. Broken Age + Titan Souls + Alien + volume.

And this upcoming month has ARK??? Well damn that is impressive. That is probably the most popular early access game atm and I don't think its ever been below 20$. Very impressive Humble good shit. I might just consider subbing for the first time.

Wok

Wow this past months humble monthly was very good. Broken Age + Titan Souls + Alien + volume.

And this upcoming month has ARK??? Well damn that is impressive. That is probably the most popular early access game atm and I don't think its ever been below 20$. Very impressive Humble good shit. I might just consider subbing for the first time.

Honestly, it has been the case since the start.

Unai

Style of combat, story content and character design, open ended quest structure, etc.?

I swear that I'm not trying to be an ass, but I really can't see it.

Style of combat: In Final Fantasy XII you can program the AI to execute commands based in a given situation or you can give the commands all by yourself, and you do that by pausing and choosing the commands. The same as Baldur's Gate. Xenoblade doesn't even have you choosing your actions through menus.

Story content: Somehow I think that BG is even more anime-y in it's story than FFXII. I mean, in FFXII you have a dark fantasy setting heavy in politics. In BG you are a kid from a small town who go in a quest and end up killing a god.

Character design: Yeah, the characters faces, clothes and armors in FFXII are more japanese-like in the main cast at least.

Open ended quest structure: Both games have a main quest that you can stick with or you can also go around doing lots of side quests.

I'm not saying that Baldur's Gate is a JRPG. I'm just saying that there are a lot of games that don't follow the Pokemon formula and are being used in that thread, not only the souls games. If you change the faces of the characters in Divinity: Original Sin so they look like anime, that game would be closer to Pokemon than Xenoblade or Final Fantasy XII.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Riddled Corpses -- MB-7CC91585F1087BBE - Taken by Purkake4
Two Steps Back -- MB-A688E37B0681F7C2 - Taken by Costa1774

What to buy, what to buy. I broke my guitar string so idk if I'll buy Rocksmith DLC yet.

Looking at Transformers Devastation, Oniken, and This War of Mine.

Teggy

The official xcom2 steam controller profile is...not very good. The xcom controls were really good, is the controller not flexible enough to replicate that? I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm going to use the keyboard.

Most of the slowdown I'm seeing is closeups of characters. The menu screen when you boot up the game and you see the female soldier looks like maybe 10fps. But everything else looks good 60fps+. I need to get my gpu monitor back up and running to see if SLI is working but my hunch is that it's not.

Looks like I'm still waiting for the mythical 75% off Avernum 2 sale.

One day, Spiderweb Software. I will not forget you.
The official xcom2 steam controller profile is...not very good. The xcom controls were really good, is the controller not flexible enough to replicate that? I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm going to use the keyboard.

2aN746W.gif

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
If I subscribe to Humble Monthly do I only get Ark or all the other stuff as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom