• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Playing SC: Blacklist...

I've read horror stories about patching on Uplay. Has this been fixed? I don't know whether i'm playing a fully patched version of the game or not.

Now it uses modern UPlay patching system not old one that you had to install manually one after the other. But naturally you will hear screaming about that today.

Wok

DlDyjKs.png

I am quite confident that I will end up buying Talos DLC (I wanted it after I finished the main game, and then The Witness was released) and Firewatch (even though the game is only 5-8 hours long), but I am more skeptical about the other two because I have never played games of similar genres. So I am looking for some opinions on these. Has anyone played Castaway Paradise or Aviary Attorney? I read Aviary is only 3 hours long so the price asked looks really steep, but the visuals and music look and sound great. Castaway is made by the people who made Ichi and seems to have tons of contents.

I also have to keep in mind that Michonne should be released next week.

Runestone Keeper — great roguelite / minesweeper game. Looks simple at first, but there’s a surprisingly deep gameplay in it. 60+ hours and counting for me. Can’t have enough.

Desktop Dungeons — coffee brake roguelike with puzzle elements and huge replayability.

Tales of Maj'Eyal — the best roguelike on the market. Simple graphics, but almost limitless potential for hours to spend in it. There’s also an ingame chat with friendly community always willing to help.

Battle Brothers — medieval fantasy turn-based RPG / RTS with surprisingly deep gameplay, fantastic atmosphere, and promises of it being even better game after EA is over. The best turn based game I played in 10 years.

The Talos Principle — first person puzzle made by Serious Sam devs. Smart and interesting challenges, with surprisingly deep story and beautiful world.

Antichamber — first-person puzzle that doesn't play like Portal 2 at all. It's a mind-bending game, that makes you throw away preconceptions and prior experience playing video games and think differently.

Lovely Planet — Super Meat Boy from first person perspective with colorful world and VERY challenging levels. A speed run game.

Snakebird — surprisingly hard but neat puzzle game. Easy buy for those who want both challenging and clever experience.

Eldritch — first person action inspired by roguelikes and Lovecraft.

Teleglitch — Quake II-esque world with top-down perspective and one life per run.

The Fall — platformer / puzzle / adventure with good story and dialogs. Rather short.

Hexcells — neat little variation on minesweeper. Relaxing music and enough levels to keep you busy for a few evenings.

Infested Planet — take control of a squad responsible of purging huge amount of xenos in a top-down realtime strategy. Has that Aliens / WH40k vibe.

Jets'n'Guns — absolutely fantastic and rad SHMUP with ridiculous number of levels, enemies, Jets and GUNS. GORGEOUS soundtrack by cult power-metal group Machinae Supremacy.

Shadowgate — very well done remake of an old NES adventure game. Just the game to spend dull winter evenings in almost pen-n-paper atmosphere. Good experience for those who love the genre.

Silent Storm — still relevant RPG / TBS made by Russians, set in the WWII / post-WWII world. More than solid, — has the best turn based system I've ever seen in any game. Full and total destruction of almost anything you can find on levels. Rare game to have Axis story arc in it.

Pix The Cat — a VERY good variation on a classic ‘snake’ formula. Huge replayability, addictive soundtrack, and co-op designed for parties.

Duck Game — it's a game. About Ducks. Imagine Smash bros. with ducks and huge variety of different weapons, destructible environment, and dedicated QUACK button. Must have for parties.

Hammerwatch — probably the best Gauntlet inspired game that ever came out.

Space Beast Terror Fright — addictive FPS / dungeon crawler set in sci-fi world that reminds of Warhammer 40k Space Hulk and Aliens. Has co-op for up to 4 players on the same screen. Epileptics beware.

Ban Puncher

tumblr_nashuzRA8O1qfxv5io1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg
Blood and Bacon -- MB-60AA34CBDEF883EF - Taken by ussjtrunks. 7 entrants total.

t1454764155z1.png

I have an issue with Larian's reporting tool during its system testing process.

Under the DirectX Version it lists as 0 and failed.

Using dxdiag to check, I get asked dxdiag has detected a problem accessing direct3d and system information and I have to press yes to bypass it otherwise it crashes :|

Anyways, under dxdiag it shows my directx version as blank. Any help? I can run any game i've installed just fine, so i'm not sure why this issue is even happening. Windows version is 10, and I use a laptop.

EDIT: Got it resolved!

I should have bought The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on the release with the -33% pre-order discount. I can't bring myself to buy it now with the current discount.

As someone who have never given a damn about profile comments I have to ask, does anyone? I saw some +rep fishing going on along the lines of:
RUS: Выберите что то одно из этого списка и напишите в моём профиле, отвечу тем же!
ENG: Choose the one that's on the list and write in my profile, I will answer the same!
+rep good player
+rep nice player
+rep gamer
+rep good teammate
+rep nice teammate
+rep gg wp
+rep trader
+rep fast and nice trade
+rep good trader
+rep nice trader
+rep top clutcher
+rep fast and easy trade! thx man
+rep fast trader
+rep great, highly recommended
And other slight variants which suggests people do care about profile comments.

If you people want Tea Party Simulator 2015™ for free* (minus your dignity of doing simon says and actually having it in your library but given I have Bad Rats, Angels of Fasaria and plenty of other pieces of shit I think my dignity is long lost) and why wouldn't you after Jim Sterling (TEA PARTY SIMULATOR 2015 - Oh For Christ's Shitting Sake) here you go:
https://gleam.io/WXF3Q/teapartysim

*-...it has trading cards...I swear one of these days a game that displays nothing more than a black screen (or just crash completely) is going to get greenlit and have 100k users just because it has trading cards.

zkylon

zkylewd
watched the giantbomb quicklook on firewatch

game looks alright i guess, not really feeling the writing, but the atmosphere is pretty cool

will probably buy it if ppl tell me to buy it, eventually

*-...it has trading cards...I swear one of these days a game that displays nothing more than a black screen (or just crash completely) is going to get greenlit and have 100k users just because it has trading cards.

100k x 3 to 6 card drops per user x 0.01 developer fee = $$$

Let's do this.

Arthea

Firewatch is this year's Gone Home

thanks, blacklisted

my PC died, yeah, again

edited: is there any way to make my laptop's radeon not to overheat ever 30 minuted if playing more or less anything? any at all? It's in a good ventilated and cool place already.
Kindly don't say submerge it in ice, please

dex3108

thanks, blacklisted

my PC died, yeah, again

edited: is there any way to make my laptop's radeon not to overheat ever 30 minuted if playing more or less anything? any at all? It's in a good ventilated and cool place already.

Once i used those plastic ice packs fro portable fridges to cool my laptop during scene rendering XD

thanks, blacklisted

my PC died, yeah, again

Get a laptop cooler/fan for it? Also, do you clean the dust regularly?

Yakkue

Has anyone played Castaway Paradise or Aviary Attorney? I read Aviary is only 3 hours long so the price asked looks really steep, but the visuals and music look and sound great. Castaway is made by the people who made Ichi and seems to have tons of contents.

I loved Aviary Attorney, played through all the endings in about 7 hours. You can find some impressions here.

Arthea

Once i used those plastic ice packs fro portable fridges to cool my laptop during scene rendering XD

I don't have those

and it's my gaming weekend, dammit, can Universe give me some slack for once?

Or there are the hella lot od faulty HDDs in the wild, or my luck is having a field year, it's second new HDD that dies in a six months.
I had 4 hardware failures in one year, two on a new PC. Somebody, tell me that PC gaming is cheap, again.

OK, done with complaining now.

So, there is nothing to be done about mob. radeons overheating like crazy?

Get a laptop cooler/fan for it? Also, do you clean the dust regularly?

you mean those external ones? Do they even work? I never tried

I don't have those

and it's my gaming weekend, dammit, can Universe give me some slack for once?

Or there are the hella lot od faulty HDDs in the wild, or my luck is having a field year, it's second new HDD that dies in a six months.
I had 4 hardware failures in one year, two on a new PC. Somebody, tell me that PC gaming is cheap, again.

OK, done with complaining now.

So, there is nothing to be done about mob. radeons overheating like crazy?
There is, get a good laptop cooler :/

Arthea

I am quite confident that I will end up buying Talos DLC (I wanted it after I finished the main game, and then The Witness was released) and Firewatch (even though the game is only 5-8 hours long), but I am more skeptical about the other two because I have never played games of similar genres. So I am looking for some opinions on these. Has anyone played Castaway Paradise or Aviary Attorney? I read Aviary is only 3 hours long so the price asked looks really steep, but the visuals and music look and sound great. Castaway is made by the people who made Ichi and seems to have tons of contents.

I also have to keep in mind that Michonne should be released next week.

yeah, I've played Castaway Paradise, it's made by a gafer I think. It's OK, not particularity good. It has a lot of content though, true.

There is, get a good laptop cooler :/

what is considered good? any tips?

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

BANZAI PECAN -- MB-7D7AC483AA46D7D4 - Taken by ModBot
BoxesWithGuns -- MB-D30189BD06306F3D - Taken by ussjtrunks

Should work.

dex3108

Already over 360K owners of XCOM 2 on SteamSpy. Game is selling like hot cakes. I am starting to think that it could reach 1M in first week.

Hektor

Modbot doesn't do the repost, so i'll do:
ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hektor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM 2 -- MB-F8CDC7E5C7ACB8E8 - Taken by Haunted. 93 entrants total.

t1454799974z1.png

Please only participate if you really want to play this game!

yeah, I've played Castaway Paradise, it's made by a gafer I think. It's OK, not particularity good. It has a lot of content though, true.

what is considered good? any tips?

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have much of a selection choice and am stuck wit ha cheap chinese copy :|

I would love to know a better alternative for myself.

Arthea

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have much of a selection choice and am stuck wit ha cheap chinese copy :|

I would love to know a better alternative for myself.

I just checked, they aren't exactly cheap and I would have to wait till Tuesday for delivery anyway, *sigh
apparently Deepcool ones are good, if I can believe what I was told.

Pachimari

I have two questions:

1. Which is the better game, Endless Legend or Endless Space?

2. Recommend me some soundtracks on Steam. I want to grow that library now.

since I changed nick months ago:

I'm just curious now, what was your nickname before?

watched the giantbomb quicklook on firewatch

game looks alright i guess, not really feeling the writing, but the atmosphere is pretty cool

will probably buy it if ppl tell me to buy it, eventually

Yeah, I felt the same way. The atmosphere is what sold me on it, but the writing really left something to be desired.

Ruruja

Well my 360 controller from 2005 has finally shat the bed.

What's the general consensus on the best PC controller these days; Steam, XBO or PS4? (or shall I get another 360 pad?)

Knurek

Well my 360 controller from 2005 has finally shat the bed.

What's the general consensus on the best PC controller these days; Steam, XBO or PS4? (or shall I get another 360 pad?)

PS4 is best for 2D games, anything that uses DPad basically.
XBO might be best for FPS shooters, but if you play them on PC with a pad, you're doing things wrong (tm)
Steam is divisive to say the least, some people love it, some hate it with a vengeance.

Ludens

Banned
So, I need help. I'm trying to fix the laptop of a friend because start button totally stopped working.
I tried scannow from Powershell, no errors at all.
Now I'm doing DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, even if probably won't solve nothing since there are no errors.

I hope I won't need to reinstall, after this I only have the recover backup option, is there anything else I can try?

Balthuk

Runestone Keeper — great roguelite / minesweeper game. Looks simple at first, but there’s a surprisingly deep gameplay in it. 60+ hours and counting for me. Can’t have enough.

Desktop Dungeons — coffee brake roguelike with puzzle elements and huge replayability.

Tales of Maj'Eyal — the best roguelike on the market. Simple graphics, but almost limitless potential for hours to spend in it. There’s also an ingame chat with friendly community always willing to help.

Battle Brothers — medieval fantasy turn-based RPG / RTS with surprisingly deep gameplay, fantastic atmosphere, and promises of it being even better game after EA is over. The best turn based game I played in 10 years.

The Talos Principle — first person puzzle made by Serious Sam devs. Smart and interesting challenges, with surprisingly deep story and beautiful world.

Antichamber — first-person puzzle that doesn't play like Portal 2 at all. It's a mind-bending game, that makes you throw away preconceptions and prior experience playing video games and think differently.

Lovely Planet — Super Meat Boy from first person perspective with colorful world and VERY challenging levels. A speed run game.

Snakebird — surprisingly hard but neat puzzle game. Easy buy for those who want both challenging and clever experience.

Eldritch — first person action inspired by roguelikes and Lovecraft.

Teleglitch — Quake II-esque world with top-down perspective and one life per run.

The Fall — platformer / puzzle / adventure with good story and dialogs. Rather short.

Hexcells — neat little variation on minesweeper. Relaxing music and enough levels to keep you busy for a few evenings.

Infested Planet — take control of a squad responsible of purging huge amount of xenos in a top-down realtime strategy. Has that Aliens / WH40k vibe.

Jets'n'Guns — absolutely fantastic and rad SHMUP with ridiculous number of levels, enemies, Jets and GUNS. GORGEOUS soundtrack by cult power-metal group Machinae Supremacy.

Shadowgate — very well done remake of an old NES adventure game. Just the game to spend dull winter evenings in almost pen-n-paper atmosphere. Good experience for those who love the genre.

Silent Storm — still relevant RPG / TBS made by Russians, set in the WWII / post-WWII world. More than solid, — has the best turn based system I've ever seen in any game. Full and total destruction of almost anything you can find on levels. Rare game to have Axis story arc in it.

Pix The Cat — a VERY good variation on a classic ‘snake’ formula. Huge replayability, addictive soundtrack, and co-op designed for parties.

Duck Game — it's a game. About Ducks. Imagine Smash bros. with ducks and huge variety of different weapons, destructible environment, and dedicated QUACK button. Must have for parties.

Hammerwatch — probably the best Gauntlet inspired game that ever came out.

Space Beast Terror Fright — addictive FPS / dungeon crawler set in sci-fi world that reminds of Warhammer 40k Space Hulk and Aliens. Has co-op for up to 4 players on the same screen. Epileptics beware.

Huh interesting list, thanks. Wishlisted a whole bunch of them

MadGear

While re-playing Shantae I noticed that the seams of my DS4 around the handles don't fit snug anymore giving the cheap top plastic a little room to flex and creak when applying moderate force with my palms. I carefully applied some scotch tape to the seam and snapped the controller back together. It fixed the issue but for a controller that got so little use in only 4 month this is very disappointing and I hate to ghetto-fix my hardware. I really like the design of this thing but its build quality is poor. I personally still think the 360 one is superior to both the DS4 and XO controller ... except for the dpad.

Ruruja

So, I need help. I'm trying to fix the laptop of a friend because start button totally stopped working.
I tried scannow from Powershell, no errors at all.
Now I'm doing DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, even if probably won't solve nothing since there are no errors.

I hope I won't need to reinstall, after this I only have the recover backup option, is there anything else I can try?

If it's Windows 10 just restart it, it's a common problem that used to happen to me a lot - though has since disappeared after removing Avira anti-virus.

How is World in Conflict?
header.jpg

Forgot the reason I wishlisted it, but someone convince me to pull the trigger on it ;P
I actually am considering a purchase myself- I was on final deployment in 2007 and played catch-up when I got home. This slipped through. ForgetAmnesia sold me on the game in one trailer-

Balthuk

I have two questions:

1. Which is the better game, Endless Legend or Endless Space?

2. Recommend me some soundtracks on Steam. I want to grow that library now.

Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Transistor, Bastion, Shovel Knight, Undertale are the ones that I can think off the top of my head.

How is World in Conflict?
header.jpg

Forgot the reason I wishlisted it, but someone convince me to pull the trigger on it ;P

Also is this the cheapest that Alan Wake Collection has been?
It's not getting cheaper, not with Valve's new sale policy and Ubisoft forgetting this game exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom