• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

meh, I'l stick to Windows 8 thank you very much.

Ideally for a setup from a gaming perspective, you'd still want a machine with Windows on it for the time being anyway for streaming. If they're targeting living room setups, their aim was probably never to replace your workhorse's OS.

Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.

Mmmmm...

I hope that one of their content partners is Google Play. Having my Google Music All Access available in the steam overlay would be the greatest thing ever.

Li Kao

Ideally for a setup from a gaming perspective, you'd still want a machine with Windows on it for the time being anyway for streaming. If they're targeting living room setups, their aim was probably never to replace your workhorse's OS.

Exactly, Steambox will be a nice HTPC. The PS4 backward compatibility solution but applied to local network, a system running linux that can receive a windows stream.

Copons

"Four new Steam features focused on the living room.
Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client."

So... nothing really changed...

I'm sorry if I quote myself but I'd like to point on this one.

If major SteamOS features will be available on Steam client as well, what will be the use of SteamOS? :0

Jzero

If major SteamOS features will be available on Steam client as well, what will be the use of SteamOS? :0

Faster performance since a bunch of windows stuff won't be running in the background.

Not really. It's all for-TV stuff as expected.

It would have been soo much more interesting if they did the same exact thing with a new distro, but squarely targeting Windows and Drivers and Direct X, instead of... streaming to the living room. I will probably never even try this in a vm now.

Shambles

A way for manufacturers to make console like steam boxs without having to pay anything for the OS. A huge shot in the arm for making linux gaming viable. An easy way for those who are afraid of getting into PC gaming to get into PC gaming. A way to stream your windows games from your rig in your den to your steambox under your TV.

These are Shift codes for Borderlands 2 that give exclusive access to new Heads and Skins. They were part of the Gearbox Community Day 2013. I got a free key for it from this here so thought it appropriate to share them here as I won't be using them (I don't play Borderlands 2 anymore).

And once again to Gvaz for the codes, especially as they give free access to Homeworld HD and Homeworld Classic when they are released =)

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Borderlands 2 Shift Codes keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

PC/Mac -- MB-14E164A502519601 - Taken by Benedict
Xbox Live -- MB-F463BCBCB6771A7A - Taken by PixyJunket
PSN -- MB-A8BC67ACEF60DEC7 - Taken by kennah

nexen

And lo! Our PCs shall become as consoles. Our consoles will become as PCs. Man will lie with beast and beget the unholy form that shall swallow the sun.

Copons

A way for manufacturers to make console like steam boxs without having to pay anything for the OS. A huge shot in the arm for making linux gaming viable. An easy way for those who are afraid of getting into PC gaming to get into PC gaming.

I knew SteamBox/SteamOS was a battering ram for a Win to Linux conversion of the PC gaming world, but indeed I didn't think of it this way. ^^

rookiejet

But that's a horrible user experience.

Properly-supported and tested wine-ports is the only acceptable usage of WINE in an appliance device.

It's a given that they would consider usability before providing a wine port. There's already a library of decently compatible, usable games already running in WINE, so they can crowd-source part of the testing that they'd have to do.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm actually really excited about the SteamOS news. I already have XBMC set up for streaming media (TV/Movies/Music) but the idea of having a "console" running SteamOS that can stream my Steam library would also be really cool.

fantomena

It would be megaton with Steambox and controller on Wednesday and HL3 on Friday so I can use the weekend to get hyped for the release in 2018.

louiedog

I have a HTPC. It runs lots of indie games well, but it's not a gaming machine. I use Windows 7 right now because WMC is a great and easy DVR and the last time I dabbled with MythTV in Linux it was a huge PITA trying to get it working with my tuner. I'll give it another shot in SteamOS.

This changes things for me and is a big deal.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What's great about Streaming being a fundamental part of the OS is that this allows you to roll your own streaming box if you so desire. You can get a low-power, small-profile linux box for between $25 and $50 and just put the Steam OS on it.

I'm actually more excited for the OS aspect than I thought I would be, as it seems they are putting in a little more work than just rebranding Ubuntu.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Crap. They're gonna make install another OS for a hat again.

Benedict

These are Shift codes for Borderlands 2 that give exclusive access to new Heads and Skins. They were part of the Gearbox Community Day 2013. I got a free key for it from this here so thought it appropriate to share them here as I won't be using them (I don't play Borderlands 2 anymore).

And once again to Gvaz for the codes, especially as they give free access to Homeworld HD and Homeworld Classic when they are released =)

Thanks for the key!
How do I activate the key?
When I enter it in steam it says code is invalid.
Do I have to do it ingame?

Edit: OK, found out you have to do it ingame.

Derrick01

Banned
It would have been soo much more interesting if they did the same exact thing with a new distro, but squarely targeting Windows and Drivers and Direct X, instead of... streaming to the living room. I will probably never even try this in a vm now.

Yeah I'm not going to use anything that requires streaming. My internet is not good enough to keep a strong and stable connection. Plus any lag at all is a huge downside compared to just playing like normal. I see almost no reason at all to use this announcement over my PC.

rookiejet

What's great about Streaming being a fundamental part of the OS is that this allows you to roll your own streaming box if you so desire. You can get a low-power, small-profile linux box for between $25 and $50 and just put the Steam OS on it.

I'm actually more excited for the OS aspect than I thought I would be, as it seems they are putting in a little more work than just rebranding Ubuntu.

That does sound great. My only gripe is latency. Even though I'll probably never notice it, it'll just keeping nagging me in the back of my mind. "That latency..."

Copons

Yeah I'm not going to use anything that requires streaming. My internet is not good enough to keep a strong and stable connection. Plus any lag at all is a huge downside compared to just playing like normal. I see almost no reason at all to use this announcement over my PC.

While I'm not questioning the usefulness of streaming (my computer is already plugged to the TV...), wouldn't you be using a local network, meaning it'll be as good as your wifi router and not your internet connection?

You basically are going to need a wired connection. I can't stream HD videos from laptop to PS3 which is about 10 feet away.... I can't imagine it will be better stream a game.

It is interesting...but still, I'm thinking you need all wired connections in order to stream competently.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ok, but considering the huge difference between (current) Win and Linux libraries, I'd most likely need a Win PC running to play anyway...

I agree. That's why Valve should announce they're working behind the scenes to secure ports and make porting easier and working to help improve driver performance for Linux.

... ;)

I guess the friday announcement will be Source 2 and HL3 or L4D3 is showcasing it.

if you make one more post about HL3....i'm going to sic
image.php
on you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom