• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

You basically are going to need a wired connection. I can't stream HD videos from laptop to PS3 which is about 10 feet away.... I can't imagine it will be better stream a game.

It is interesting...but still, I'm thinking you need all wired connections in order to stream competently.

But if you need wires, then why don't you just buy a very long hdmi cable...

GAF, please help me understand. The other thread is moving so fast.

If SteamOS is just another Linux distro, that means that I can run all the regular Linux software on it, just like on Ubuntu. Is that correct?

Derrick01

Banned
While I'm not questioning the usefulness of streaming (my computer is already plugged to the TV...), wouldn't you be using a local network, meaning it'll be as good as your wifi router and not your internet connection?

For me personally I wouldn't use it at all. If I wanted to hook it up to my TV it's about 6-9 feet away from my PC but I don't even find reasons to go that far. I'm very comfortable kicking back in my chair on the PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What exactly is a "living room machine"?

Many people have a room in their house called a living room. It often features couches, a small table called a coffee table, windows, and often an electronic televisual set from the Edison Company. It's a new thing. I hardly even use my sitting room or parlour anymore now that I have one.

GAF, please help me understand. The other thread is moving so fast.

If SteamOS is just another Linux distro, that means that I can run all the regular Linux software on it, just like on Ubuntu. Is that correct?

Someone should ask Valve to mention in the announcement whether or not people can customize and alter parts of SteamOS or whether it is a closed system. If they made that clear that'd answer a lot of questions.

louiedog

You basically are going to need a wired connection. I can't stream HD videos from laptop to PS3 which is about 10 feet away.... I can't imagine it will be better stream a game.

It is interesting...but still, I'm thinking you need all wired connections in order to stream competently.

When you stream an HD video the bitrate is set. You have X amount of data pushing through and if the network can't handle it, the video stutters. Steam would be doing it on the fly and can adjust the bitrate of the video to go smoothly across your network.

Copons

I agree. That's why Valve should announce they're working behind the scenes to secure ports and make porting easier and working to help improve driver performance for Linux.

... ;)

And still it wouldn't be enough, sadly.

Yes, it would be sogood.gif, but there will still be a huge amount of games that won't be updated and ported.

Best thing would be an utopian all-inclusive almighty wrapper that automatically and seamlessly wraps Win games for Linux.
But I don't think it's possible or even plausible. :(

nexen

I wouldn't mind it except for Valve announcing that the PC is dead and they're shutting down access for all users not running SteamOS. That's really my major sticking point.

Wut.

edit: I don't like it because I really like having one do-everything machine. I don't like the idea of locking down my box to SteamOS or having to dual boot it.

Many people have a room in their house called a living room. It often features couches, a small table called a coffee table, windows, and often an electronic televisual set from the Edison Company. It's a new thing. I hardly even use my sitting room or parlour anymore now that I have one.

Someone should ask Valve to mention in the announcement whether or not people can customize and alter parts of SteamOS or whether it is a closed system. If they made that clear that'd answer a lot of questions.
LOL. So does a "living room machine" only include Steambox or will PS3/PS4 be involved considering Valve's relationship with Sony?

nexen

I'm calling a Monday on my faulty troll detector.

LOL. So does a "living room machine" only include Steambox or will PS3/PS4 be involved considering Valve's relationship with Sony?
Honest question: has Valve done anything with Sony since Portal 2? I was hoping much more would come of steam on ps3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wut.

edit: I don't like it because I really like having one do-everything machine. I don't like the idea of locking down my box to SteamOS or having to dual boot it.

Options you have:

- stay on windows. Downsides: no downsides because this doesn't replace Windows
- dual boot. Downsides: no downsides because this will dual boot just fine
- switch to Steam OS. Downsides: No downsides because it'll run whatever Linux runs and you can modify it however you want.
- build a separate machine. Downsides: no downsides, best of both worlds
- buy a premade Steambox from Valve or another OEM. Downsides: no downsides

It really seems like Valve has trapped us in a corner, forcing to choose their proprietary closed box.

Pachael

Sounds 50/50 so far - on the one hand I feel that it might a closed system much like the Chromebook except with Steam Workshop support which is how they'll get around the 'well, if it's closed, then no modding?!' question. This part about 'We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online' seems to imply that they won't allow users to install their own software on top of SteamOS, but they'll provide basic services to these. Maybe that includes streaming services.

Moreover the 'Parental Controls'/family territory section does seem to point towards some locking down of services to prevent kids going around Steam to play Saints Row IV.

Of course, the other hand says "Well, that's speculation thus far off little to squat information".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sounds 50/50 so far - on the one hand I feel that it might a closed system much like the Chromebook except with Steam Workshop support which is how they'll get around the 'well, if it's closed, then no modding?!' question. This part about 'We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online' seems to imply that they won't allow users to install their own software on top of SteamOS, but they'll provide basic services to these. Maybe that includes streaming services.

Moreover the 'Parental Controls'/family territory section does seem to point towards some locking down of services to prevent kids going around Steam to play Saints Row IV.

Of course, the other hand says "Well, that's speculation thus far off little to squat information".

Parent controls suggest an OS is not open.
Windows has parental controls.
Therefor Windows is not open.

This stuff is really simply. They're doing a Linux distro. If you can do it on Linux, you can do it here. In addition to that, Steam has a client (just like today). They will be adding features to the client, like a Netflix viewer. If you don't want to use their UI, that's OK. If you do, that's OK.

But it's moot anyway because nothing will be Steambox exclusive, they are not encouraging people to ditch windows, Steam will remain fully supported on every platform it runs on today. This is additive and designed to support OEM hardware living room boxes.

nexen

Options you have:

- switch to Steam OS. Downsides: No downsides because it'll run whatever Linux runs and you can modify it however you want.

It really seems like Valve has trapped us in a corner, forcing to choose their proprietary closed box.

No, not yet. But it really opens the door. Valve would obviously like Windows to go extinct and these are the just the latest (and largest) volleys towards that end. While I haven't been happy with MSFT's stewardship of Windows lately, I really, really dislike this encroaching future where I have dozens of computers that each do one thing well, and then everything else extremely poorly.

Options you have:

lol. Well, when you put it that way. I don't really see a downside.

Turfster

Weeklong deals:
  • Hacker Evolution (? possible other release discount? Still, weeklong)
  • Syberia 1&2
  • Spectraball
  • King's Bounty The Legend, Armored Princess, Crossworld
  • RIPD the game (again)
  • Warframe: Starter, Gift, Tenno pack
  • The Night of the Rabbit
  • Call of Duty: Blops mac
  • Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Wait wait wait, night of the rabbit is on sale? Darn, can't buy it without the flac lossless soundtrack, sorry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Honest question: has Valve done anything with Sony since Portal 2? I was hoping much more would come of steam on ps3.

The only PS3 game Valve has released since Portal 2 is CS:GO, but cross-platform play was axed as Valve didn't want Sony's cert process needlessly holding up updates on the PC side.

When you stream an HD video the bitrate is set. You have X amount of data pushing through and if the network can't handle it, the video stutters. Steam would be doing it on the fly and can adjust the bitrate of the video to go smoothly across your network.

fair enough...I don't know too much about that A/V stuff. I imagine that if you have a lot of traffic on your network, the quality is going to degrade on the stream. Personally, between phones and computers...we have a max of 7 devices on the network.

I get what they are doing here...and could be pretty sweet if you have throw SteamOS on a Raspberry Pi or something like that and be able to stream your library, I just need to see it in action it works.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No, not yet. But it really opens the door. Valve would obviously like Windows to go extinct and these are the just the latest (and largest) volleys towards that end. While I haven't been happy with MSFT's stewardship of Windows lately, I really, really dislike this encroaching future where I have dozens of computers that each do one thing well, and then everything else extremely poorly.

OK.

Gbraga

Can I buy Night of the Rabbit by itself or do I need previous knowledge in some franchise?

Not sure I should buy backlog games at 50%, but it's so cheap that I think I won't regret it.

Also bought Knights of Pen and Paper, does it have controller support?

King's Bounty games are good, 7,49€ is not a bad price for three KB games as a package.

Don't know what to think about SteamOS. Probably need to see what the other two announcements are and see the whole thing they are doing.

JaseC

Can I buy Night of the Rabbit by itself or do I need previous knowledge in some franchise?

Not sure I should buy backlog games at 50%, but it's so cheap that I think I won't regret it.

NotR isn't related to any previous Daedalic games. As for your other question, no, it does not.

Half Life 3 y L4D3 only for SteamOS?? lol

Granular exclusivity would be antithetical to Valve's goal, which is to get Steam and its catalogue into as many hands as possible. It bears repeating that people need to understand that Valve isn't launching a new platform with the SteamBox/SteamOS, but rather broadening the ways in which people can connect to the actual platform that is Steam itself.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Night of the Rabbit is entirely standalone

EDIT: B10

derExperte

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 has microtransactions. In the forum they say it's not p2w but if someone hates that stuff and doesn't want to support it in any way beware.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Granular exclusivity would be antithetical to Valve's goal, which is to get Steam and its catalogue into as many hands as possible.

A succinct explanation:

Microsoft's share of a sale of a Valve game on Windows: 0
Valve's share of a sale of a Valve game on Windows: 100
Microsoft's share of a sale of a third party game on Steam on Windows: 0
Valve's share of a sale of a third party game on Steam on Windows: 30
Amount Valve makes on an OEM sale of a Windows license: 0

Microsoft's share of a sale of a Valve game on SteamOS: 0
Valve's share of a sale of a Valve game on SteamOS: 100
Microsoft's share of a sale of a third party game on Steam on SteamOS: 0
Valve's share of a sale of a third party game on Steam on SteamOS: 30
Amount Valve makes on an OEM sale of a SteamOS license: 0

How does it benefit Valve to punish Windows users? It doesn't. So they won't.

Zeknurn

I imagine that they will be giving away games for free on SteamOS to drive adoption. If they wish to accelerate it that is.

JaseC

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 has microtransactions. In the forum they say it's not p2w but if someone hates that stuff and doesn't want to support it in any way beware.

I find their inclusion in the PC version rather offensive considering its $9.99 price tag makes it more than three times the price of the iOS flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom