• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

I'm not getting SteamGuard login emails with the code anymore. Is something broken?

You mean the code itself in the emails isn't showing up or you're not being prompted for Steam Guard anymore? If it's the latter, you could've disabled it under Settings -> Account -> Security Info. Otherwise I'd just hit up support
]:

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You mean the code itself in the emails isn't showing up or you're not being prompted for Steam Guard anymore? If it's the latter, you could've disabled it under Settings -> Account -> Security Info. Otherwise I'd just hit up support
]:
I'm being prompted for the code, but no email is being sent to me with the code making it impossible to login to Steam from anywhere but my house.

Wok

Since today was the annoucement of SteamOS, with movie streaming and game family sharing, etc. What is left for the two other annoucements?

Tizoc

Steam doesn't seem to be fully updated with all sales and discounts from my end...
BTW could someone post a link to see how much a game has sold on steam over the course of a set time period? I wanna see how the sales for Space Quest have been so far...

Lain

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cognition Episode 1 & 2 -- MB-AA62693FBA79598A - Taken by Pakkidis. 22 entrants total.

t1379971955z1.png

2 keys for the price of 1.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Stump is on fire! :D

edit: and someone already said that on the previous page :(

Whools

Has anyone heard anything about SteamOS being open source? Any guesses as to whether it will/won't? I assume it will but the fact the didn't explicitly state it had me confused.

I'm liking the "I don't game on tv. This is useless to me.", "lol, Linux" comments in the thread. Yeah, like what where people expecting from "We're pushing Steam and Linux into the livingroom"?

Btw can we expect Twitch integration to record gameplay? Haven't seen that mentioned. Origin and soon Uplay will have that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, not yet. But it really opens the door. Valve would obviously like Windows to go extinct and these are the just the latest (and largest) volleys towards that end. While I haven't been happy with MSFT's stewardship of Windows lately, I really, really dislike this encroaching future where I have dozens of computers that each do one thing well, and then everything else extremely poorly.

I seriously seriously doubt Valve is going to drop Steam support for Windows. They may drop it for older OS's but never drop Windows support so long as games for Windows are made.

I'm more concerned with the backlog of titles. Yes, I can "stream them to another PC with Steam OS" but that isn't a good solution. Stuff like Stalker doesn't work on Linux and unless Valve has a full-time staff working with WINE and other "Windows emulator/API hook"ers, I can't imagine myself jumping ship to Linux.

These are Shift codes for Borderlands 2 that give exclusive access to new Heads and Skins. They were part of the Gearbox Community Day 2013. I got a free key for it from this here so thought it appropriate to share them here as I won't be using them (I don't play Borderlands 2 anymore).
Thank you, this will be nice when I go play the DLCs.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I seriously seriously doubt Valve is going to drop Steam support for Windows. They may drop it for older OS's but never drop Windows support so long as games for Windows are made.

I'm more concerned with the backlog of titles. Yes, I can "stream them to another PC with Steam OS" but that isn't a good solution. Stuff like Stalker doesn't work on Linux and unless Valve has a full-time staff working with WINE and other "Windows emulator/API hook"ers, I can't imagine myself jumping ship to Linux.
Stalker already works with WINE: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7377

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

nexen

That is my exact fear though. I'm looking at what I feel to be the likely evolution of this thing. How can buoying up Linux as a stronger gaming platform do anything except fracture the WinPC market?
If SteamOS takes off like Valve hopes there could easily come a day where publishers are asking themselves if it is worth it to throw a windows port up, or just let the SteamOS version serve the PC market demand.
On the flip side the SteamOS will be under constant pressure to improve as a gaming platform and almost zero pressure to improve as an application platform.

morningbus

That's missing the point: That's one title out of... how many Windows-"exclusive" games?

Yes, WINE has been getting better over the years (more so than the 90's, when it first started) but it's still not at the level for most people to jump ship from a HUGE backlog of Windows titles.
It's just weird you specifically picked a game that works, is all.

Besides, it looks like Valve isn't going that direction anyway. There will always be games that couldn't be supported for one reason or another, but they have to start somewhere and, especially for consumers looking to jump on this whole Steam thing, focusing on new games makes the most sense.

That is my exact fear though. I'm looking at what I feel to be the likely evolution of this thing. How can buoying up Linux as a stronger gaming platform do anything except fracture the WinPC market?
If SteamOS takes off like Valve hopes there could easily come a day where publishers are asking themselves if it is worth it to throw a windows port up, or just let the SteamOS version serve the PC market demand.
On the flip side the SteamOS will be under constant pressure to improve as a gaming platform and almost zero pressure to improve as an application platform.
Microsoft will have destroyed their OS themselves long before that future is realized.

morningbus

I've waded through the Steambox thread and I think this post from MrNyarlathotep does a good job explaining why this move makes so much sense from Valve's perspective:

I'm going to assume all of the people in this thread posting variants on "Here is what the market currently looks like, why would anyone bother doing anything different to that because the current status quo will never ever change for any reason" don't invest in the stock market and aren't senior enough at whatever jobs they do to have to be aware of SWOT analyses.

Let me break it down for you;

- Right now Windows has a kung-fu death grip monopoly on the PC gaming industry. If anything happens to dethrone MS, or if MS make any changes themselves to adversely affect gaming (and why would they? It's not like they have some gaming specific hardware they want to push), and company whose primary source of operations is PC gaming is fucked.

- Right now there is reluctance from embedded customers to switch platforms, due to their amassed libraries and reluctance to give that all away (for more of this, watch this holiday seasons NPDs)

- Right now Linux in particular and Open Source in general find it hard to appeal to content producers to put their software onto, as the market is perceived as 'niche', 'fragmented' and 'freeloaders'. A lot of marketing money has been spent to help foster this perception ("Get the facts!").

Here's what SteamOS brings to the table;

- A mature and well respected digital store front with a loyal customer base (why would Amazon sell their own apps on their own store? There's already a Google store on Android!). Why is this important? Because it provides a service that allows people who want to buy content a trusted way to buy that content.
This is good for both consumers and producers; consumers know if their machine can run SteamOS, it can run the 'app' they buy from the SteamOS 'appstore'.
Producers know products they sell on the 'SteamOS appstore' are piracy free, and can also see how many users the SteamOS appstore has to estimate potential sales in advance. Or indeed the value of porting costs of a product already available elsewhere.

- A method of accessing prior content; this is obviously a stop-gap solution, but it solves the whole "why would I buy a steambox if I already have a Pc and loads of games" question, until software and hardware solutions which don't yet exist do.

- Independence from Windows at a company level; the biggest factor by far. With this, Valve are no longer entirely entwined in the fate of MS and whatever it is they're choosing to do with regards to Pc gaming this month.
This independence is also there for others who might not be as super-peachy-keen on Windows as some of you are to join in on.

Tellaerin

From a practical standpoint, how does that really matter? It's not really "fragmentation" when the market is divided between two OS's, one of which is free and can be run on a partition. It's not an either/or for users. I imagine Valve's going to make setup as simple and hassle-free as possible, too. So even if that scenario eventually does come to pass, it doesn't really seem like anything to be worried about.

Deques

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

The Tiny Bang Story -- MB-D3A0F1078340FDCB - Taken by XShagrath. 8 entrants total.

t1379964170z1.png

Free game here

morningbus

Isn't this all kind of pointless without solving the DirectX dilemma?

You should email Valve about this. There still may be time to stop them from making a huge mistake!

Non-snarky answer: Their solution is to get developers to release OpenGL games for the benefit of easily porting between Steam OS (Linux)/Mac OS/Windows/PS4.

Grief.exe

Isn't this all kind of pointless without solving the DirectX dilemma?

The streaming functionality puts a bandage on the issue for now, but does not fix it.

Angular Graphics posted some information showing that Valve's own wrapper for Linux is actually getting better performance than the native Linux version (Source games aren't naively linux).
We will probably see this expanded out to the whole library as time goes on.

HoosTrax

You should email Valve about this. There still may be time to stop them from making a huge mistake!

Non-snarky answer: Their solution is to get developers to release OpenGL games for the benefit of easily porting between Steam OS (Linux)/Mac OS/Windows/PS4.
This works fine...for hipsters that are satisfied with only indie games, as AAA developers seem reluctant to jump aboard the OGL bandwagon.

mrgone

Has anyone heard anything about SteamOS being open source? Any guesses as to whether it will/won't? I assume it will but the fact the didn't explicitly state it had me confused.

I'm guessing it'll be a partially closed system, with the parts that Valve can claim full ownership over being closed with the rest being open like the other Linux distros. I doubt Richard Stallman will approve of SteamOS :)

morningbus

This works fine...for hipsters that are satisfied with only indie games, as AAA developers seem reluctant to jump aboard the OGL bandwagon.

Says the person with a Rogue Legacy avatar.

Non-snarky answer: From the Living Room site:

All the games you love
Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

It's clear that Valve is doing exactly that.

Sorry for all the snark by the way, I just keep looking at the Steambox thread and tamping down my snark there. It has to release somewhere, I guess.

I like how a lot of people missed the part where Valve talk about multiple devs making games for the OS and to expect AAA announcements soon. Obviously it's going to be a rather slow procedure, but it's not like Valve haven't thought of it.

A legit question would be legacy games though. Not sure devs will go back to those.

nexen

From a practical standpoint, how does that really matter? It's not really "fragmentation" when the market is divided between two OS's, one of which is free and can be run on a partition. It's not an either/or for users. I imagine Valve's going to make setup as simple and hassle-free as possible, too. So even if that scenario eventually does come to pass, it doesn't really seem like anything to be worried about.
But it is fragmentation. When you get right down to it there is far more HW difference on two typical gaming PCs than there is between the PS4 and XBone. The OS is the primary difference there.

Making dual-booting painless and simple for the average user is a tall order, but I do hope that it is their primary plan and that they are successful with it. If they rely on pre-built steambox hardware to carry the mass audience then I will be very unhappy.

PS4 isn't OGL.
I haven't been keeping up with the state of OGL lately - have they reattained parity with DirectX or is it still extension hell?

And what's with Linux is dead? Umm, Android anyone?

ugh, that thread. I was expecting disappointment and cynism, but god, only a handful of people are rational there.

morningbus

Dual booting is already pretty painless
but I'm a member of the Gigas Society, so I do this in my sleep while I have mind-sex with multiple partners
if you are installing a Linux OS on top of a Windows install.

The people who will have problems are those that try to take a Steambox from Linux to Windows, as Windows hates not being the only OS on a machine.

HoosTrax

Says the person with a Rogue Legacy avatar.

Non-snarky answer: From the Living Room site:

It's clear that Valve is doing exactly that.

Sorry for all the snark by the way, I just keep looking at the Steambox thread and tamping down my snark there. It has to release somewhere, I guess.
I don't mind the snark. I'm highly skeptical, but if they pull it off, more power to them. As far as the avatar, I'm not one who plays only AAA games (like Derrick, I guess?), but nor am I one who places indie developers on a pedestal.

nexen

Dual booting is already pretty painless
but I'm a member of the Gigas Society, so I do this in my sleep while I have mind-sex with multiple partners
if you are installing a Linux OS on top of a Windows install.

The people who will have problems are those that try to take a Steambox from Linux to Windows, as Windows hates not being the only OS on a machine.

Eh, it isn't like BeOS. Switching OSes still means I have to shutdown the one I'm currently working on. At that point it might as well be a different box.

morningbus

PS4 isn't OGL.
I haven't been keeping up with the state of OGL lately - have they reattained parity with DirectX or is it still extension hell?

I keep seeing this mentioned, but I can't find a site to back up the claim. Do you have one on hand?

I don't mind the snark. I'm highly skeptical, but if they pull it off, more power to them. As far as the avatar, I'm not one who plays only AAA games (like Derrick, I guess?), but nor am I one who places indie developers on a pedestal.

I understand the skepticism and, of course, reserve the right to be fully converted either way after seeing what they mean by "AAA."

Levito

Banned
"Valve is further fragmenting the PC market!" They scream. Oh sorry, Microsoft may not have a total monopoly on the PC gaming market anymore.

Some of you are utterly ridiculous.

nexen

I keep seeing this mentioned, but I can't find a site to back up the claim. Do you have one on hand?
Sorry, no. I thought Sony had divulged more detail on this but apparently I was mistaken.

"Valve is further fragmenting the PC market!" They scream. Oh sorry, Microsoft may not have a total monopoly on the PC gaming market anymore.
So ... if Valve controlled both the OS and the DD side of PC Gaming, that would less of a monopoly situation how exactly?

I like how a lot of people missed the part where Valve talk about multiple devs making games for the OS and to expect AAA announcements soon. Obviously it's going to be a rather slow procedure, but it's not like Valve haven't thought of it.

A legit question would be legacy games though. Not sure devs will go back to those.

stream from you home pc? Essentially what will be happening with backwards compatibility on PS4, just through your PC instead of an external server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom