• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the opinion on Knights of Pen and Paper

hey, go ask your game opininions in the steam announcements thr......

oh, oops. You did.

Not sure personally, but it seems to be an overpriced iOS port with micro transactions (the bad kind).

Shamless copying Xelios' review here

Xelios said:
Knights of Pen & Paper, originally for iOS, is a turn-based RPG with a novel concept: you take on the role of real life players in a tabletop game. The camera is set behind a table where up to five of your characters are seated, with the dungeon master on the other side leading you through the story. Dialogue tends to be humorous and frequently goes out of character.

The game begins with character creation, where you must assign your players a real life persona and one of a dozen traditional RPG classes, each with four skills. The actual gameplay takes place around your table as if you’re in the middle of all the action and consists of traveling to locations on a world map and completing quests, which are really just more battles in disguise. In fact, the entire game is simply one battle after another and becomes very repetitive, very fast.

As expected, level ups provide stat bonuses and allow you to upgrade your skills and wear better equipment. Armor and weapons can only be improved at the blacksmith, but each character has four additional slots for equipping various accessories. In addition to in-game shops there is a “real life” shop where you may purchase snacks to provide temporary buffs for your players, as well as decorations and furniture to confer permanent bonuses.

Overall, Knights of Pen & Paper is passable in the context of mobile gaming, but completely forgettable when compared with quality games on the PC platform. Considering the price is $9.99 on Steam vs a mere $2.99 on iOS and Android, it’s borderline offensive that the devs left in-app purchases in the game--allowing you to buy gold with your Steam wallet funds. Such a shameless exhibit of its mobile origins is perhaps a fitting red flag for a game which also fails to break away from the shallow, repetitive gameplay those origins typically entail.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I swear that thread is half taken over by console fanboy types. A bunch of posts talking about exclusives and how it won't/will be able to compete with X, Y and Z gaming platform.

It's a free OS for fuck's sake!

The Steam OS thread is filled with people just reacting without thinking, basically lower animals.

Wait a minute, poeple are actually bothered by dual-booting? Holy crap :lmao

To be fair, the first time you dual boot can be kind of intimidating. Until everything goes fine, you sit there worried that you just destroyed the Northeast's power grid. After that though, you get a lot braver.

Levito

Banned
So ... if Valve controlled both the OS and the DD side of PC Gaming, that would less of a monopoly situation how exactly?

Yes because all current and future operating systems and home consoles will vanish once SteamOS is available. Brilliant hypothesis sir.

Gbraga

Shit, I wish I've read this before I bought the game. Sounds awful.

Is it possible to beat it without too much grinding if I don't pay anything extra?

If it's anything like the mobile version, I honestly can't recommend it. It's very fun and charming until you realize you can hit walls that push you to buy the in-game gold. I felt pretty burned by that after spending cash to buy the game in the first place. I thought I was playing a cool RPG for about an hour, then I realized this was another Tiny Tower: A good game wrapped up in a vile business model.

I can second this description of the ios version.

And, for me at least, it seems better suited to the "on the
can
go" gaming session than sitting at a desk.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If it's anything like the mobile version, I honestly can't recommend it. It's very fun and charming until you realize you can hit walls that push you to buy the in-game gold. I felt pretty burned by that after spending cash to buy the game in the first place. I thought I was playing a cool RPG for about an hour, then I realized this was another Tiny Tower: A good game wrapped up in a vile business model.

Tiny Tower is a game that actually disincentivizes IAP. The gold and bux ramp is such that after the first few days, the time-skip factor for IAP drops massively. After a week or two it's like "I can pay $5 or wait 3 hours". Not to endorse the paywall but I 100%ed the game through casual play over a month or two without paying any thing and with no real hurdles.

nexen

Valve doesn't want to control the OS market and they gain exactly $0 if they do
I think this outlook is a bit dangerous. Valve is a company - they'll do whatever makes them the most money. They already have a stranglehold on PC gaming and adding control over the OS on top of that is just making it worse. So far they've been responsible with their power but I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the plucky upstart. But really, this isn't my primary problem with this situation, I just found it odd to call out Microsoft's monopoly on PC gaming when Steam is clearly the 500lb gorilla in the room and growing.

Wait a minute, poeple are actually bothered by dual-booting? Holy crap :lmao
Clearly you have never had to run tech support! The average user is often lucky if they can get their machines to work at all.

Yes because all current and future operating systems and home consoles will vanish once SteamOS is available. Brilliant hypothesis sir.
You are certainly fun to talk to. How are things over there in your part of reality? Weather nice?

Grief.exe

Tiny Tower is a game that actually disincentivizes IAP. The gold and bux ramp is such that after the first few days, the time-skip factor for IAP drops massively. After a week or two it's like "I can pay $5 or wait 3 hours". Not to endorse the paywall but I 100%ed the game through casual play over a month or two without paying any thing and with no real hurdles.

Sensible people are not their target market ;)

morningbus

WCW Nitro Steam OS port incoming?!

P.S.: As a teenager, Surge was my jam. I'd say it probably still has a pretty loyal, if completely dormant fanbase.

I'd go for the other under-appreciated Mountain Dew knock-off by Coca-Cola: Vault.

chronomac

It's the exact opposite in fact. SteamOS isn't going to kill Windows, SteamOS was born from a fear that windows would die or kill Steam.

Exactly. They want to create their own separate, independent system. If things go according to their plan, they won't care what the hell happens to Windows or Microsoft.

nexen

Exactly. They want to create their own separate, independent system. If things go accordingly to their plan, they won't care what the hell happens to Windows or Microsoft.

Yeah, were I Valve I'd be trying to do the same thing. I don't have to like it though.

HoosTrax

Is that the stuff that turned your piss green?
I miss it so much :(.

I also miss Vault. Tasted a bit like orange juice mixed with Dew, but with the side benefit of having an unusually large amount of caffeine for a regular, non-energy drink soda.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think this outlook is a bit dangerous. Valve is a company - they'll do whatever makes them the most money. They already have a stranglehold on PC gaming and adding control over the OS on top of that is just making it worse. So far they've been responsible with their power but I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the plucky upstart. But really, this isn't my primary problem with this situation, I just found it odd to call out Microsoft's monopoly on PC gaming when Steam is clearly the 500lb gorilla in the room and growing.

Microsoft makes money by selling their OS but are attempting to be a company that makes money by selling software but failed to do so and then tried to be a company that made money by having people using their services and but failed and now are trying to be a company that makes money from people buying their devices. Apple makes money by selling their devices. Google makes money from people using their services and viewing their ads. Valve makes money by taking a 30% cut on their content marketplace.

This is why all four companies merit different reactions when they make particular moves.

Nuance is required in order to see the long game and offer a reasoned critique.

I swear that thread is half taken over by console fanboy types. A bunch of posts talking about exclusives and how it won't/will be able to compete with X, Y and Z gaming platform.

It's a free OS for fuck's sake!

A free, alternative OS, that's completely optional, that won't prevent anyone from using Windows games via streaming, that is an alternative to a full Windows OS version running Steam. All optional, all alternative. Not aiming to compete with anything, judy aimed to make the Steam thing easier to use in more ways for more people.

The point is sailing 10 miles above a lot of people's heads.

Levito

Banned
You are certainly fun to talk to. How are things over there in your part of reality? Weather nice?

Reality-- where because Valve introduces an operating system, and potentially a home console equates to them suddenly having a monopoly.

*Takes red pill*

Would it also blow your mind that iOS is built of off Unix?

Whoa....

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
damn, looking at some google images, is this shit radioactive
Yes, it is.
P.S.: As a teenager, Surge was my jam. I'd say it probably still has a pretty loyal, if completely dormant fanbase.
Somewhere, there's a man with a crate of Surge in his basement living the dream.
Surge was too beautiful for this world :(

Surge is to espresso as Mike's hard lemonade is to whiskey. Babby mode.

Part of my childhood died when I found out Surge was gone. RIP.

morningbus

Valve is showing it doesn't want to be the proprietary king by basing its OS off Linux. That fact alone means that, if successful, the future of PC gaming is truly open as you can choose from literally thousands of linux distros to run over just whatever Microsoft gives you.

Grief.exe

Anyone posted this? More clues about GTA V on PC: http://wccftech.com/gta-v-pc-code-dx-11-x64-2k-textures/

Awesome

aTKI38K.png

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
What about Orbitz? Some drink ideas just deserved to die

No way. Vanilla orange Orbitz for life. When you die and go to Heaven, God welcomes you with an Orbitz and a six pack of Surge. Then he asks if you want a mint and opens up a tin of ginger Altoids.

EDIT: Whoa, apparently you can still get ginger Altoids on Amazon. $7.11 for a tin. Will wait for winter sale.

morningbus

This Orbitz talk is going to bring Stump into the conversation to rail against us lowly Americans.

If you guys want floating shit in your drinks, buy some Chia seeds.

nexen

Reality-- where because Valve introduces an operating system, and potentially a home console equates to them suddenly having a monopoly.

*Takes red pill*

Would it also blow your mind that iOS is built of off Unix?

Whoa....

I am having so much fun on the internet with you! Tell me more of this red pill, valiant warrior. Was iOS truly built of Linux? Perhaps Linux is some bastardized version of POSIX? Perhaps CP/M is a branch of that, and then MS-DOS a knock off of CP/M? Or was it a cheap version of POSIX? Inquiring minds want to know!
brb dual booting my PC into iOS.

Valve is showing it doesn't want to be the proprietary king by basing its OS off Linux. That fact alone means that, if successful, the future of PC gaming is truly open as you can choose from literally thousands of linux distros to run over just whatever Microsoft gives you.
If this ends up being the final truth, then I am (probably) happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom