• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

EDIT: Whoa, apparently you can still get ginger Altoids on Amazon. $7.11 for a tin. Will wait for winter sale.
Random side note, but I read somewhere that ginger cures nausea, so I decided to buy a bag of ginger chews and test the theory out while playing an FPS. Didn't help at all. The only thing that seems to help me is a one or two day adjustment period, before I can play a given FPS (or TPS) game without getting a headache + queasiness.

nexen

The lack of GFWL will already be an improvement, but I agree. Can't wait for this...the screenshot thread will be glorious

I'm going to need a new video card just for the screenshot thread :\

Random side note, but I read somewhere that ginger cures nausea, so I decided to buy a bag of ginger chews and test the theory out while playing an FPS. Didn't help at all. The only thing that seems to help me is a one or two day adjustment period, before I can play a given FPS (or TPS) game without getting a headache + queasiness.

Try those motion sickness patches.

I should try that for Kairo. I can't even make it 15 minutes without having to go horizontal.

Grief.exe

Try hanging upside down on monkey bars or your bed for a few minutes.

Levito

Banned
I am having so much fun on the internet with you! Tell me more of this red pill, valiant warrior. Was iOS truly built of Linux? Perhaps Linux is some bastardized version of POSIX? Perhaps CP/M is a branch of that, and then MS-DOS a knock off of CP/M? Or was it a cheap version of POSIX? Inquiring minds want to know!
brb dual booting my PC into iOS..

We'll make it through this fellow keyboard warrior. This nightmarish world where Valve controls all facets of desktop PC's and home consoles. They were really the combine all along, life is imitating art. Where is our Gordon Freeman.

Seriously though, how does Valve introducing an operating system optimized for gaming(a landscape currently dominated by Microsoft) equate to your comment of: "if Valve controlled both the OS and the DD side of PC Gaming, that would less of a monopoly situation how exactly?" --Why propose this hypothetical? Valve isn't going to completely consume either landscape. They're giving you more options.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I take ginger when I get nauseous and it works wonders for me. Altoids, ginger jelly, straight up ginger root. Love that stuff.

Grief.exe

This is interesting, just compared the top ten posters for the SteamOS announcement thread.

Of the top 10, only 2 have posted in here at all. Of those two, neither have posted more than 15 times.

AsylumX

I forgot to include Jamestown. WARNING: I inputted the code into Steam to activate the game but it turned out I already own it. So I am not 100% sure what happens in this case, if the code is vanished and if it will work. Good luck however!

It doesnt work... but thanks anyway.

Tellaerin

Seriously though, how does Valve introducing an operating system optimized for gaming(a landscape currently dominated by Microsoft) equate to you comment of: "if Valve controlled both the OS and the DD side of PC Gaming, that would less of a monopoly situation how exactly?" --Why propose this hypothetical? Valve isn't going to completely consume either landscape. They're giving you more options.

But we see what happens when people have too many options. Look at how many people in this thread, when confronted with their Steam backlogs, look at those hundreds of games and just can't choose which one to play. We're looking at an OSpocalypse, man.

>.>

nexen

Seriously though, how does Valve introducing an operating system optimized for gaming(a landscape currently dominated by Microsoft) equate to you comment of: "if Valve controlled both the OS and the DD side of PC Gaming, that would less of a monopoly situation how exactly?" --Why propose this hypothetical? Valve isn't going to completely consume either landscape. They're giving you more options.
Honestly I don't care much about the monopoly math in this case at all, I just thought it odd to call out Microsoft for a monopoly on PC gaming when Steam is locking it down so tight it may never escape.
My fears with this SteamOS thing are very specific and really begin and end with its possible unintended effects to the PC gaming market. I'm worried that we'll end up with yet another walled garden console. The fact that Linux is open is a strong salve to that fear but the pressure will be to evolve SteamOS over time in a way to make it more and more gaming specific. Linux is already a very poor choice for my other computing needs and I don't see this doing much to make it better. Maybe if Valve's application store was doing better?
Maybe everyone else will be happy with 2 machines or dual booting between OSes or whatever, but I reserve my right to be a grumpy old man on this one.

Lingitiz

Awesome

aTKI38K.png

Nice. I spent about 20 hours playing the game this weekend. While I do enjoy it, the 25 FPS is unbearable. I seriously can't fathom how reviews managed to get past the awful performance, it's a huge dealbreaker. The already clunky ass combat and movement is made way worse by this. Thinking about just selling my copy and waiting for PC version now that my appetite for the game is satisfied.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That speaks poorly for this thread.

Going much further than the observation could descend into overly cliquey behavior, but it does highlight the disconnect that exists because people in that thread think Valve wants to be Microsoft or Sony.

We generally don't have that line of thought in here because we know the ingrained philosophy of the company because we follow it so closely.

Grief.exe

Honestly I don't care much about the monopoly math in this case at all, I just thought it odd to call out Microsoft for a monopoly on PC gaming when Steam is locking it down so tight it may never escape.
My fears with this SteamOS thing are very specific and really begin and end with its possible unintended effects to the PC gaming market. I'm worried that we'll end up with yet another walled garden console. The fact that Linux is open is a strong salve to that fear but the pressure will be to evolve SteamOS over time in a way to make it more and more gaming specific. Linux is already a very poor choice for my other computing needs and I don't see this doing much to make it better. Maybe if Valve's application store was doing better?
Maybe everyone else will be happy with 2 machines or dual booting between OSes or whatever, but I reserve my right to be a grumpy old man on this one.

Monopoly? Steam has fostered a strong competition on the PC side through the Steamworks business model.

They literally do not take a cut of a sale if sold on another storefront. While allowing the game to be activated on their client and taking the download/infrastructure costs that come with it.

Huge businesses have spawned through Steamworks and heavy price competition because of it.

Not to mention the competing clients like Uplay, GOG, Origin, and Battlenet that take a percentage of the market. Though, I would argue that use of those platforms are not mutually exclusive among the player base.

If it were a monopoly, you would see Valve shut down Steamworks entirely. Every sale, no matter the storefront, giving a cut to Valve.

Nice. I spent about 20 hours playing the game this weekend. While I do enjoy it, the 25 FPS is unbearable. I seriously can't fathom how reviews managed to get past the awful performance, it's a huge dealbreaker. The already clunky ass combat and movement is made way worse by this. Thinking about just selling my copy and waiting for PC version now that my appetite for the game is satisfied.

After seeing how framerate was never mentionned in reviews and players saying smooth framerate and all I was very surprised when I started playing.
I mean, I get that the game looks great and that this kind of framerate is standard for GTA games but honestly don't go saying stuff like smooth framerate when you can't even hit 30 fps 90% of the time while driving/flying. I guess I'll stick with what I've been doing this whole time for user/journos reviews : just watch a gameplay video with no commentaries.

nexen

Monopoly? Steam has fostered a strong competition on the PC side through the Steamworks business model.

They literally do not take a cut of a sale if sold on another storefront. While allowing the game to be activated on their client and taking the download/infrastructure costs that come with it.

Huge businesses have spawned through Steamworks and heavy price competition because of it.

Not to mention the competing clients like Uplay, GOG, Origin, and Battlenet that take a percentage of the market. Though, I would argue that use of those platforms are not mutually exclusive among the player base.

Furthest thing from a monopoly.
But Steam does has a near monopoly on PC DD. Just because they haven't abused it yet doesn't mean it isn't true. They could do some nasty wicked evil things if they were so inclined and only the DOJ/FTC and whatever their non-US equivalents are could really stop them.
Because they haven't been evil yet they have strongly fostered PC game development, yes I agree, but they still have an effective monopoly on the digital distribution. How hard would GMG et al be hit if suddenly Valve decided not to sell steam keys through them anymore?
To be completely fair I believe that GOG is really honestly co-existing with Steam but I think that they are far more niche.

Cody_D165

Banned
Got several keys from SteamGAF over the past couple weeks so I grabbed an extra copy of the Groupees bundle for you guys. Good luck!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Vessel -- MB-F0712D840BC63B7B - Taken by arts&crafts
Jamestown -- MB-D404D82C85FF2E6B - Taken by C00kie M0nster
Greed Corp -- MB-35E8FD19BBB43C7F - Taken by JBourne

Levito

Banned

Good thing they support Windows 8 with all their games still despite even Gabe's vicious statements about the OS. One of the biggest reasons SteamOS even exists is because of Microsoft's handling of Windows 8 and trying to enforce their store on all developers on PC.

They're not locking it down "so tight it'll never escape"--They're giving you an OPTION. You don't need to install SteamOS, you can continue using Windows all you want. Now if the market strives more and more into SteamOS's territory, that's another thing entirely. However competition should never be hailed as a bad thing, hell maybe just like what happened with the Xbone, Microsoft will realize their OS is currently very unappealing to a lot of people and they'll revise it some.

We also know absolutely nothing about the "Steambox", it's probably not even a traditional console. All their mentions of Streaming suggests it could be something more akin to Onlive.

Why is that the case?
It implies that this thread is inhibiting discussion.
Going much further than the observation could descend into overly cliquey behavior, but it does highlight the disconnect that exists because people in that thread think Valve wants to be Microsoft or Sony.

We generally don't have that line of thought in here because we know the ingrained philosophy of the company because we follow it so closely.
That thread is approaching 2000 posts and can't be as easily defined the way you are trying. I'd also argue that you imagine you know Valve's philosophy, but that given their apparent business/employee structure actually pinning it down is nearly impossible.

nexen

Not super relevant--Linux kernel can address 36-bits (64 GB of RAM) through extensions so the only major issue would be the 4GB per-process limit which is not likely to be an issue in the next 5 years

I'm no Linux guy but I was under the impression that Ubuntu has a 64bit version, at least.

Good thing they support Windows 8 with all their games still despite even Gabe's vicious statements about the OS. One of the biggest reasons SteamOS even exists is because of Microsoft's handling of Windows 8 and trying to enforce their store on all developers on PC.
Yes, but will it remain that way? Even if I trusted Valve to never force the issue (which, incidentally, I do) I don't believe the market will support both windows and steamos at the same time for very long.

They're not locking it down "so tight it'll never escape"--They're giving you an OPTION. You don't need to install SteamOS, you can continue using Windows all you want. Now if the market strives more and more into SteamOS's territory, that's another thing entirely. However competition should never be hailed as a bad thing, hell maybe just like what happened with the Xbone, Microsoft will realize their OS is currently very unappealing to a lot of people and they'll revise it some.
If you play games on PC, there is an overwhelming chance that you do so through Valve. That is what I mean by locking down the PC gaming market. Its already happened, they are just attempting to secure their footing with this move. I agree that as a kick in Microsoft's ass this is very appealing.

We also know absolutely nothing about the "Steambox", it's probably not even a traditional console. All their mentions of Streaming suggests it could be something more akin to Onlive.
Dollars to donuts its just a pre-configured PC.

Grief.exe

But Steam does has a near monopoly on PC DD. Just because they haven't abused it yet doesn't mean it isn't true. They could do some nasty wicked evil things if they were so inclined and only the DOJ/FTC and whatever their non-US equivalents are could really stop them.
Because they haven't been evil yet they have strongly fostered PC game development, yes I agree, but they still have an effective monopoly on the digital distribution. How hard would GMG et al be hit if suddenly Valve decided not to sell steam keys through them anymore?
To be completely fair I believe that GOG is really honestly co-existing with Steam but I think that they are far more niche.

If Valve pulls a '180' and changes their policy completely, then we can have that discussion.

An 'effective monopoly' due to a slippery slope, doesn't make it an actual monopoly.

It implies that this thread is inhibiting discussion.

Tossing around in the mud is the opposite of good discussion.

Not super relevant--Linux kernel can address 36-bits (64 GB of RAM) through extensions so the only major issue would be the 4GB per-process limit which is not likely to be an issue in the next 5 years

How easy would it be to theoretically "fix" that limit? What would need to be done? Are we talking complete rewrites or a small update?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got several keys from SteamGAF over the past couple weeks so I grabbed an extra copy of the Groupees bundle for you guys. Good luck!

Thanks for Greed Corp.! I have a friend who played this like it was his job back when it first came out. I'm anxious to see how it is.

Everyone who got Jamestown should give it a shot ASAP. It's a fantastic shmup. Playing it with an arcade stick takes it to a whole new level, too.

mrgone

you don't like quaffing down thick drinks that feel like swallowing the liquefied innards of a decomposing animal? you're in the wrong on this one bro.
No way. Vanilla orange Orbitz for life. When you die and go to Heaven, God welcomes you with an Orbitz and a six pack of Surge. Then he asks if you want a mint and opens up a tin of ginger Altoids.

EDIT: Whoa, apparently you can still get ginger Altoids on Amazon. $7.11 for a tin. Will wait for winter sale.

It always reminded me of what it might be like to have the Kool-Aid man vomit directly into my mouth. It didn't taste offensive or anything, but it was kind of an unsettling sensation. Distressing, almost.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Says the person with a Rogue Legacy avatar.

Non-snarky answer: From the Living Room site:

It's clear that Valve is doing exactly that.

Sorry for all the snark by the way, I just keep looking at the Steambox thread and tamping down my snark there. It has to release somewhere, I guess.
Man, you know I really like you as a poster (and if you didn't, you do now), but I'd rather you didn't release your frustration upon other SteamGAFfers here :/

You can always reply in a smart way without having to resort to those cheap tactics. Why do it now, and here?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It always reminded me of what it might be like to have the Kool-Aid man vomit directly into my mouth.

That's my fetish.

Orbitz was just ahead of its time. Now boba tea is everyone's shit, while us OG Orbitz drinkers have be sucking down little balls for years.

nexen

If Valve pulls a '180' and changes their policy completely, then we can have that discussion.
An 'effective monopoly' due to a slippery slope, doesn't make it an actual monopoly.
I think we have two different definitions of monopoly here. The definition of monopoly to me has everything to do with a single entity's share of the market, not how they use it. They could be giving away all the games for free and paying other distributor's electric bills, they'd still be a monopoly to me. Almost all PC gaming goes through Steam one way or the other and Valve is sitting next to the levers that control the world. They are PC gaming.
My use of 'effective' was just to say that there are other players but they are so small as to be negligible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I cant wait till someone gets a hold of these numbers for a SteamOS vs. 8gb of gddr5 thread.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
GTA V on PC is great, but I have doubts that my laptop will be able to run it at any sort of high specs, haha. I guess it's more powerful than a 360 though so I won't have a worse experience than on there, I suppose.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, you know I really like you as a poster (and if you didn't, you do now), but I'd rather you didn't release your frustration upon other SteamGAFfers here :/

You can always reply in a smart way without having to resort to those cheap tactics. Why do it now, and here?
... I was joking. Or, rather, being snarky about my snark. I wasn't frustrated or actually taking frustration out on anyone.

I thought the juxtaposition of snark and immediately supplying a reasoned, sensible point of discussion would reinforce the gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom