• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I think we have two different definitions of monopoly here. The definition of monopoly to me has everything to do with a single entity's share of the market, not how they use it. They could be giving away all the games for free and paying other distributor's electric bills, they'd still be a monopoly to me. Almost all PC gaming goes through Steam one way or the other and Valve is sitting next to the levers that control the world. They are PC gaming.
My use of 'effective' was just to say that there are other players but they are so small as to be negligible.

Just checking the Wikipedia definition, which is what I would follow from schooling.

A monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity.
Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service and a lack of viable substitute goods.

Only Supplier: Valve is not the only supplier of the goods. See Steamworks platform allowing other distributors to sell Steam keys at no cost. See: GMG, Amazon, Humble, etc.
Substitute goods: See Origin, Uplay, GOG, etc.

The quality of discussion is irrelevant if all discussion is inhibited. Maybe you should clarify why you posted the posting data in the first place. What relevance did it have for this thread?

I just thought the data was interesting, as the people in this thread generally have a good grasp on what direction Valve is headed in and why. Could explain why the quality of discussion in that thread is low.

mrgone

That's my fetish.

Orbitz was just ahead of its time. Now boba tea is everyone's shit, while us OG Orbitz drinkers have be sucking down little balls for years.

Oh wow, I hadn't even drawn the connection between the two. Boba tea is somewhat of a pleasantly horrific dichotomy, too, but now I'm all proud and patriotic about Orbitz.

Volotaire

Antonio Banderas

ishXpnDqHhMzM.gif

oh my

nexen

Just checking the Wikipedia definition, which is what I would follow from schooling.
Only Supplier: Valve is not the only supplier of the goods. See Steamworks platform allowing other distributors to sell Steam keys at no cost. See: GMG, Amazon, Humble, etc.
Substitute goods: See Origin, Uplay, GOG, etc.
Those keys came from Valve. Valve supplied GMG, Amazon, Humble, etc. They control the supply of goods. He who controls the spice controls the universe, yadda yadda.
The real competition is Origin, Uplay, and GOG, but I don't believe that their market share is very large. They're like Bing vs. Google.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortably pedantic now though so maybe we should just agree to disagree.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
... I was joking. Or, rather, being snarky about my snark. I wasn't frustrated or actually taking frustration out on anyone.

I thought the juxtaposition of snark and immediately supplying a reasoned, sensible point of discussion would reinforce the gag.
My bad then. I read that as you being malicious just for the sake of it.

I don't usually mistake your jokes/irony for truth. Don't know why that was the case here.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Huh. I wonder if looking up Max Payne 3 as a GTAV bench mark makes any sense.

Ay dios mio, GTAV is probably going to take up 40 GB of install space.

So, I just got FF VII thanks to a trade. I never played the original. Should I be happy or am I fucked because of whatever DRM and Squeenix online account shenaningans it has?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, I just got FF VII thanks to a trade. I never played the original. Should I be happy or am I fucked because of whatever DRM and Squeenix online account shenaningans it has?

You should be fine. It's one of those things where it's a pain to set up initially but once you do you're all set and shouldn't have to log in again afterwards.

EDIT: Also, digging around in the latest Steam beta client functions yields this list:

RCtd7G2.png

It seems their music service of choice for the Steam app as well as SteamOS will likely be Spotify.

Does Spotify still have those ads that minimize whatever else you've got running so you can see their ad? I really didn't enjoy that part.

Tellaerin

Spotify is great, especially if I can top up with card money. Netflix not so useful but I suppose it makes sense.

It'd be amusing if Steam keeps on diversifying, and Steam credit eventually ends up becoming the dominant form of online currency.

"With enough keys, you can buy anything, man. Anything."

Now there is something.

Can I pay my monthly Spotify with steam bux? If so awesome.

Awww shit, I'd actually suscribe to Spotify if I could pay with card money.

On the other hand, this would be like doing a shitty job you've never enjoyed in order to pay the rent, having to actually idle every game I can before I run out of money.

Steam: Just like the real thing.

EDIT: To be honest, what I REALLY would love to see implemented is the ability to purchase indie bundles with Steam money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's not much of a selection in terms of current movies on Netflix. What other service could they use?

No one service. That's dumb console talk. They should build applications for many major services AND have an open development API to support any services that want to build their own.

Grief.exe

There's not much of a selection in terms of current movies on Netflix. What other service could they use?

Due to the large content providers are currently locking them out from content.

Its a huge issue right now, check out Net Neutrality arguments. Many of the movie/TV providers also control the physical networks that get us data, it is a very bad conflict of interest that can only lead negatively towards consumers.

Momentary

Banned
Gentlemen, and the two or five ladies here, we're about to be in for a treat come this Friday. Something tells me there's going to be a torrent (def. copious outpouring) of developers making announcement about unmentioned PC ports for the STEAM OS.

Finally, Metal Gear Rising will be announced... It's just wishful thinking on my part.

No one service. That's dumb console talk. They should build applications for many major services AND have an open development API to support any services that want to build their own.

That's sounds too brilliant to happen.

hwateber

Gentlemen, and the two or five ladies here, we're about to be in for a treat come this Friday. Something tells me there's going to be a torrent (def. copious outpouring) of developers making announcement about unmentioned PC ports for the STEAM OS.

Finally, Metal Gear Rising will be announced... It's just wishful thinking on my part.

That's sounds too brilliant to happen.

I completely forgot that MGR was announced for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom