• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a laptop worthy of playing some games! (HP Envy 17" i7 2.4ghz12GB Ram Nvidia GEForce 740). I've been out of the PC game since about '95-'96. I've got a decent Steam library, due to Humble Bundles and insane Steam sales that I couldn't turn down. Looking forward to playing some of the big games I've missed, but I really don't know where to start.

I've owned every major console in that time I stopped PC gaming, so I'm not looking for anything I could have played there. It's weird. I've been looking forward to this so much, but now (especially with GTA V out), I just have no desire to play any of these games. Someone recommend me a great PC game that will fit between my 4 hour sessions of GTA.

patochaos

Neo Member
I finally got a laptop worthy of playing some games! (HP Envy 17" i7 2.4ghz12GB Ram Nvidia GEForce 740). I've been out of the PC game since about '95-'96. I've got a decent Steam library, due to Humble Bundles and insane Steam sales that I couldn't turn down. Looking forward to playing some of the big games I've missed, but I really don't know where to start.

I've owned every major console in that time I stopped PC gaming, so I'm not looking for anything I could have played there. It's weird. I've been looking forward to this so much, but now (especially with GTA V out), I just have no desire to play any of these games. Someone recommend me a great PC game that will fit between my 4 hour sessions of GTA.

Try FTL

Haha! That was my first thought, then I realized I probably don't need a "gaming laptop" to run FTL. So the first thing I gave a whirl was Dear Esther, which is just barely a game. Maybe I should just play FTL, but I also don't have a real Mouse and Keyboard right now, and I'd rather not play anything with the trackpad if it's gonna make it worse.

maneil99

Haha! That was my first thought, then I realized I probably don't need a "gaming laptop" to run FTL. So the first thing I gave a whirl was Dear Esther, which is just barely a game. Maybe I should just play FTL, but I also don't have a real Mouse and Keyboard right now, and I'd rather not play anything with the trackpad if it's gonna make it worse.
Rogue legacy. Also if you have a wired xbox controller, use it

Saige

I must do better.
I don't have one, but I've got one ordered on Amazon.

Also, I'm holding out for the Vita/PS4 version of Rogue Legacy. What else do you got?
If you want some mainly keyboard based rogue-likes maybe try The Binding of Isaac or Dungeons of Dredmor.

Both are quite good with DoD being more of a traditional rogue-like.

AsylumX

Bastion, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Mark of The Ninja (i'm assuming you have a PS3, you said you don't have a Xbox360 controller)

Bastion, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Mark of The Ninja (i'm assuming you have a PS3, you said you don't have a Xbox360 controller)

Sorry...have a 360 controller, but just the plug and play one's, which don't seem to work for me. I've definitely played the hell out of Bastion, Meat Boy and MotN.

Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos is unlocking on Steam in two days. It was in the Groupees Doujin bundle.

Awesome. I really love the way all the 100 Greenlit games are slowly popping up on the store and I'm getting all the free keys for games I've bought in bundles. I mean, I know that I've already paid for them and own them but it still feels like I'm getting a free game anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How long has it been since MGR was "announced"?

A little under four months.

No game announcement this week.

Via Valve employee on Twitter.

Well, all Laidlaw said is that the announcements are related to Steam, so if you want to be very optimistic, you can say that he's just being coy as a Steamworks-enabled game technically fits this mould.

jediyoshi

Steam market down right this second? I get antsy when I don't know the current trend of tf2 key prices.
edit: back up

wsNmBTx.png

Game over

So despite me maybe being critical of some of the bonehead assumptions in the other thread and here, I do think Valve is going about this announcement the wrong way. I get that they want to avoid a big event, but were I Valve I'd have led with the hardware announcement. The same day as the announcement I'd have interviews going live with a series of major gaming sites. There are a lot of people questions have that they wouldn't have if Valve had done the announcement in a more logical way.

It'll all get sorted out over a longer period of time so to some extent it's just a matter of shutting the hell up and not wasting your time correcting people until Valve releases more information.

Sometimes I wish Valve would set up a dedicated PR group.

JaseC

Steam market down right this second? I get antsy when I don't know the current trend of tf2 key prices.
edit: back up

wsNmBTx.png

Game over

Due to the rise in key prices, it's actually invariably cheaper for me to pay traders using PayPal (where posible -- there's one bloke in my friends list who offers it), and that's including the transaction fee as well as PayPal's less-than-ideal exchange rate.

Edit: I take it Valve fixed the Dawnguard snafu that occurred earlier? I just checked Skyrim's properties window and it's not listed in the DLC tab.

neoemonk

I don't think it ever really did. You never needed a PS4...except for playing PS4 games where it will still be the only option.

For several reasons I don't really want to elaborate on, a streaming system that would allow me to play games on a different floor in my house than the hardware running those games is extremely attractive to me. I had strongly been leaning towards a PS4 since as far as I know it's the only system offering this feature. Until now.

MNC

I hope to god they dont have a controller as one of the announcements. I want more fancy features *I* would use!

The_Monk

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, yesterday I only had time to check what the news regarding Steam were, now I'm trying to learn more about SteamOS but there's a lot of pages to catch and I'm a bit amateur when it comes to such things so let me see:

- SteamOS will be free correct?

- If the games are available for SteamOS then it's okay, if not, we can always Stream from our current PC/Laptop to the SteamOS.

- For streaming purposes the main PC must have decent specs to support most demanding games even if it's for Streaming on the SteamOS PC, correct? The SteamOS PC can be a less decent PC since it will be the receiver for the Streaming?

JaseC

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, yesterday I only had time to check what the news regarding Steam were, now I'm trying to learn more about SteamOS but there's a lot of pages to catch and I'm a bit amateur when it comes to such things so let me see:

- SteamOS will be free correct?

- If the games are available for SteamOS then it's okay, if not, we can always Stream from our current PC/Laptop to the SteamOS.

- For streaming purposes the main PC must have decent specs to support most demanding games even if it's for Streaming on the SteamOS PC, correct? The SteamOS PC can be a less decent PC since it will be the receiver for the Streaming?

- Yes

- It's Linux-based, so it'll support everything here from the off

- Yes, the host machine is what will be doing the grunt work while the "living room machine" will simply be relaying the image to the display

The_Monk

Thanks a lot for answering JaseC. So it does not matter if we are Streaming the game instead of playing on the PC itself, because, if the PC does not meet the minimum requirements for the game then streaming will also be affected, correct?

If you just want a SteamOS for streaming purposes can we expect to have a humble build (regarding price) considering it will make the job without performance issues or are some people considering building a decent PC for SteamOS only?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The Underrail keys are now available on the Groupees page (Build a Greenlight Bundle)...
Just got mine :)

Li Kao

No game announcement this week.

Via Valve employee on Twitter.

Uh, as much as I loved HL1 and liked 2 and episodes, I am not that interested in 3, but even then, with the three announcements/three buttons thing, and knowing Valve is not stupid, all there is to say is : WTF ?!

Uh, as much as I loved HL1 and liked 2 and episodes, I am not that interested in 3, but even then, with the three announcements/three buttons thing, and knowing Valve is not stupid, all there is to say is : WTF ?!

Valve doesn't make games any more, what a shame :(

JaseC

Thanks a lot for answering JaseC. So it does not matter if we are Streaming the game instead of playing on the PC itself, because, if the PC does not meet the minimum requirements for the game then streaming will also be affected, correct?

That's a bingo.

If you just want a SteamOS for streaming purposes can we expect to have a humble build (regarding price) considering it will make the job without performance issues or are some people considering building a decent PC for SteamOS only?

If you're just after a streaming box, since none of the actual rendering/processing will be taking place on it, you can:

- Build/buy a new system for the cheapest possible price
- Repurpose an old system
- Install SteamOS alongside the main OS on your secondary system (which is what I'm going to do with my laptop)

Correct. In theory you might get away with somewhat lower specs if you are like me and only have a 720p TV.

In theory you could install it on pretty much anything that supports linux (and has the needed ports) ... there may also be chromecast support and that type of stuff for real cheap devices. But the detail isn't there at this stage to really know what the plan is hardware wise (if there really is one at this stage).

The_Monk

Thank you very much, both of you, really helping with my doubts.

In that case I think my priority is to keep saving my pennies so I can get my PC parts for the "main" PC Gaming usage. Since I had to start all over it will take me a while but right now it seems that this is the direction I need to focus on.

Somehow I was expecting that, for streaming purposes you could get aways with a less optimal PC Build for the most demanding games, guess I was wrong because I still need to learn more about streaming. Either way I can't wait for see Steam OS in motion and we still need two more news I believe so here's hoping for something nice.

Li Kao

Well I know many people aren't interested in SteamOS, but put me in the "do want, now, take my money, and my body while you're at it" category.
There is this dream I have of a connected house* and the evident first step was an htpc. And every time I fiddled with it, no, even with XBMC I still think there must be a better way of handling an htpc interface on a big screen (that thing has a name, can't remember it) (edit : ten-foot UI ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-foot_user_interface).
So for me the thing will partly live or die on the interface, if Valve do a good job, yesterday announcements could sort of solve a part of my big quest.

* we live in a world of informations, and I think for the time being there isn't enough cohesion, I want order, a structure in order to have a better handling of that information. I know I will repeat part of what Gabe said, but there must not be this much "distance" between tv, pc, phone, what have you, this shit is counter intuitive.

Depends, how accepting is Microsoft for Valve developing 360 controller drivers for Linux?

Support for 360 pads is already well sorted under linux, so that isn't too much of a concern.

Where the fun starts is when Microsoft start playing patent games again...time will tell on that one.

JaseC

Anyone noticed the interface change of steam? in last time played and hours count

For all of about 24 hours, the time stats were moved over to the right-hand menu (assuming Detail View). I'm glad they were moved back, but I'm not sure I agree with aligning the text to the right of the "Play" button rather than the left.

JaseC

To be honest I'm even having some trouble trying to understand it fellow GAFfer (english is not my native language).

The game is essentially claiming that it's breathing new life into the "god game" genre (think Populous and the like). That's Peter Molyneux for you, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom