• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strongest nay on earth.

I generally disagree with your opinions (in a friendly and loving way, of course), but yeah, Absolution was fun for two levels or so, then a helicopter appears and you won't want to look at it ever again. Horrible, horrible game.

Edit: I should add I'm not a Hitman fan per se, but I can see the quality of Blood Money by comparison. As a non-fan Absolution is still shit.

Tenrius

I have it from that AMD deal. I figured even though it and DmC are sort of mediocre according to most people I'd enjoy them for the usual 6-8 dumb AAA kind of experience that I don't get to these days much. At least Hitman is a stealth game, and DmC a character action game, things my library is short on.

,..so is it not a stealth game at all then?

It's actually very much a conventional stealth game, unlike the previous Hitman games, and that's half of what makes it disappointing. The other half is that the actual game is not that good.

Nabs

I keep getting tempted by Dark Souls on the PC. But (I don't know if anyone else feels the same way) I totally loved, loved Dark Souls on the 360, but it was such an experience and took so long that I just don't know if I want to go back and do it again. I can see the replay factor of trying new stuff a second time, but at the rate that I game Dark Souls took me like 5 months to finish, just don't know if I can commit to that again, especially if I'm not sure if it would be as special the second time through (since I've seen it all before).

It wont take you 5 months to replay Dark Souls and Durante Edition is like seeing the game for the first time. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5474/9781060726_93ec082f8a_o.png

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Enslaved as in the Ninja Theory game?
That would be kinda great, actually. I enjoyed the first two chapters but found it to be unplayable on consoles due to technical problems.
That, and a way to close-up camera during combat and lot's of incredibly annoying filmgrain. But i'm afraid that's not console exclusive.

r3n4ud

I generally disagree with your opinions (in a friendly and loving way, of course), but yeah, Absolution was fun for two levels or so, then a helicopter appears and you won't want to look at it ever again. Horrible, horrible game.

So you're saying I shouldn't have paid full price for it? :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Nope, the original Facebook post is a complete shop. A lazy one at that, they just took the top post off of the official Dark Souls Facebook page.

From has been updating the registry app this past month, we will see what comes of that.

It isn't even a poor Photoshop. They just used Chrome's live editing feature.

Grief.exe

Are you saying we vegemite see the game released soon?

Is Vegemite a Pokemon?

Enslaved as in the Ninja Theory game?

Yes

So in doing a quick google search for this game, I found a 1440p screenshot from a preview on Dualshockers.

Apparently this game has been running on PC for over 3 years now.

Enslaved_Highres_Screenshot_000061.jpg

http://www.dualshockers.com/2010/09/23/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-demo-impressions/

Preview mentions the great visuals, but does not say anything about frame rate.

justjim89

I have it from that AMD deal. I figured even though it and DmC are sort of mediocre according to most people I'd enjoy them for the usual 6-8 dumb AAA kind of experience that I don't get to these days much. At least Hitman is a stealth game, and DmC a character action game, things my library is short on.

It's most certainly a stealth game, even more of one than Blood Money, Contracts, or Silent Assassin if you go by the traditional definition. On higher difficulties, disguises typically don't get you too far because people of the same outfit will begin to see through your get up if you're anywhere in their immediate line of sight. You combat this with the instinct meter, which is severely limited on higher difficulties. It's decidedly different from Blood Money, where all you had to do was get a guard outfit and have free reign to do whatever you want without consequence.

It basically means on the harder difficulties, you play large chunks of it like one might play Splinter Cell: hiding, evading, and trying not to be seen.

On lower difficulty levels, detection isn't as fucked and instinct replenishes, so you can play it more like a Hitman game.

Orayn

Is it kosher to start a thread about Dark Souls being on Midweek Madness deal if I really want people to know? Figure you guys would be the ones to ask.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Is it kosher to start a thread about Dark Souls being on Midweek Madness deal if I really want people to know? Figure you guys would be the ones to ask.
Why not? The La-Mulana thread last week certainly worked.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn, it really was that bad huh?

Yeah it was an awful game who's problems were right in front of us almost a year before the game even came out. It's a sub par cover stealth game (which is not what Hitman traditionally is) for at least 80% of the game and it uses a disguise a system that may as well not exist at all. It and instinct mode is completely broken. It only has about 3-4 traditional Hitman areas and they're all smaller in size and have less options for kills.

It uses a checkpoint system too and even that's broken. You can shoot a level up for 3/4 of it, save the checkpoint, reload and finish the last 25% of the level stealthy and get a silent assassin rating for the entire level.

Grief.exe

I've played through both but you're right, they should be in my library. Can you still play CT multiplayer?

I just checked PC Gaming Wiki and Steam forums and the multiplayer still seems to be functioning fine. There may be a lack of players, but we should get a GAF Stream night set up for that.

Oh god, why did I go to the Steam forums...

SubxXZL.png

Screenshot is 1080p with no aliasing

Ya, Ninja Theory demo'd this game on PC.

Wait, is that the same Enslaved that ran at 20ishFPS+OHGODTEARING on consoles? First time I've heard of it coming to Steam.

You would have only heard of it in this thread.

I'll keep you posted.

Maxwood

Steam downloaded a 6,4GB patch for Trainz Simulator 2012. :/

nexen

Nope, the original Facebook post is a complete shop. A lazy one at that, they just took the top post off of the official Dark Souls Facebook page.

From has been updating the registry app this past month, we will see what comes of that.
I really hope we don't lose too many games due to this GFWL fiasco. Except that Ace Combat abomination. That thing can die in a fire.

Hitman: Absolution is a stealth game, the problem is the kind of stealth game it is. The Hitman series was different from other stealth games because you could hide in plain sight with the right disguise. You were a wolf in sheeps clothing. The problem with Abolution is how far away and how quickly npcs with the same outift quickly see through your disguise and the half-baked ways you can try to avoid detection/allay suspicion.

There are also problems with level design and how heavily story-focused they tried to make this game.

Turfster

Hitman: Absolution.

Yay/nay?

Very much nay.
It's not even a good "classic" stealth game, like some people here are saying.
It's an abomination of a chimera and a crime against nature that doesn't know what it wants to be, and ends up being nothing.

Tenrius

I'm probably going to get scorn from PC elitists rampant in this thread, but I think that playing the console version of Dark Souls is a better experience. I have it both on the PC and the PS3 and I had much more invasions, summons, ghosts and messages in the latter version. The online is just more active in general, which is essential in this game and the IQ is of course worse, but still pretty comparable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm probably going to get scorn from PC elitists rampant in this thread, but I think that playing the console version of Dark Souls is a better experience. I have it both on the PC and the PS3 and I had much more invasions, summons, ghosts and messages in the latter version. The online is just more active in general, which is essential in this game and the IQ is of course worse, but still pretty comparable.

I got my fill of summoning and invasions easily on PC. Eventually both communities will be incredibly quiet (Demon's is quieter on PS3 on Dark on PC) and at that point I'd rather have the HD version to play with my go-to Sunbro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom