• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents used to have to go to The Colony when I lived in Frisco in the early 90's to go to the old walmart lol. At the time we only had Brookshire's in Frisco and Davids. So if we needed stuff that wasn't sold in a grocery store we went to Plano or The Colony. Does The Colony still smell awful because of Lake Lewisville though? I'm in McKinney now, the land of bored housewives.
My house is like, two blocks or so from the lake and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I have friends in McKinney (going to their place for a party on Saturday, actually).

Hey guys, so regarding Valve's last living room announcement, we are all expecting it to be a controller right? The Steam Machines page specifically mentions the release of upcoming information on "input". Well I was looking at some recent interviews with Gabe, and when talking about PC input, he not only mentions interest in low latency, but also in things like biometric feedback.

I think you’ll see controllers coming from us that use a lot of biometric data. Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we’re a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method. Motion just seems to be a way of [thinking] of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth — so to trying to talk to a game with your arms is essentially saying "oh we’re going to stop using ethernet and go back to 300 baud dial-up." Maybe there are other ways to think of that. There’s more engagement when you’re using larger skeletal muscles, but whenever we go down [that path] we sort of come away unconvinced. Biometrics on the other hand is essentially adding more communication bandwidth between the game and the person playing it, especially in ways the player isn’t necessarily conscious of. Biometrics gives us more visibility. Also, gaze tracking. We think gaze tracking is going to turn out to be super important.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming#

Super interesting stuff, makes me very excited for the upcoming announcement. I can see Left 4 Dead 3 using biometric information in really interesting ways when it comes to "The Director".

The_Monk

Being without a proper PC to play many games from my Backlog sure is a bit sad to be honest fellow GAFfers. As some people know already, I gave it to a home that was learning how to use the internet for the first time and decided to start all my savings over again. However the Economy in here is so bad that this goal seems a very far priority and to make it worst paying a lot for things like medicine does not improve my day (I'll be on surgery for the second time in this month, October 1st to remove my second wisdom teeth) I've talked a little bit with one or two GAFfers and it's amazing to see how this community can provide kind and warm words in times of need. Every time I post I try to help every time I can or every time there's such need. I believe that, this is indeed the best Community on any Gaming related forum without a doubt. From members to mods, I can always find proper and polite discussions, kind people, humble people willing to help each other, giving advice and so on. I will keep on working every day or, one post at a time in order to keep building this fine Community because we all deserve this amazing place.

I just wanted to Thank you to everyone on GAF for keeping this place unique. I see it as if we are little rocks. Alone they can't do much but if we put them all together, we can build a Castle with them. I'm very sorry for the "live journal" part, it's just a harsh time, something you all must have been through. I know this is the Steam thread (and not the Off Topic section) but to me it's a thread full of great GAFfers.

Because some of you were patient to read all this (again, I'm very sorry) my next post is going to be a kind, yet very humble giveaway for you all even if my wallet will be done until the end of this year and I shouldn't. Thank you for being part of this Community fellow GAFfers, never stop being good members. Good night!

Tomodachi

I am not sure, but wouldn't Joy2Key kind of be an option for this?
That's the name I was looking for (couldn't remember it) and I just tried, you can use combinations of keys. Now I only need to understand how to switch from one configuration to another but so far so good, thanks!

The_Monk

Good luck to all of you, amazing fellow GAFfers.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 58 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Dead Horde -- MB-0191C6C6D6688F83 - Taken by The-Bean. 14 entrants total.
Commandos 2 Men of Courage -- MB-40F9031211F94E1A - Taken by The Super Bob. 13 entrants total.
Glowfish -- MB-EF6605880FD7AF9B - Taken by Frank Jaeger. 14 entrants total.
Disciples III Resurrection -- MB-F913F958E4D1ECCE - Taken by Purkake4. 19 entrants total.
Patrician IV Steam Special Edition -- MB-A4501D791F9A65AA - Taken by Cheddahz. 11 entrants total.
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-2CCC7460188B99BB - Taken by DeadlyVirus. 9 entrants total.
Dino DDay -- MB-941049B408D567C6 - Taken by maneil99. 11 entrants total.
A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda -- MB-75B47939771D2555 - Taken by dot. 12 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-8C053055517917B8 - Taken by delirium. 1 entrants total.
Trauma -- MB-E9823DEE4ED2ED6C - Taken by Kirosia. 6 entrants total.
Future Wars -- MB-46F00E871AC7C206 - Taken by Boss Doggie. 11 entrants total.
Commandos 3 Destination Berlin#2 -- MB-950E0FA45B05D713 - Taken by ZeroXZee. 11 entrants total.
The First Templar Steam Special Edition -- MB-A023A5289EF6E44C - Taken by XShagrath. 20 entrants total.
Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition -- MB-6AA9A2FB4F2E61D3 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 14 entrants total.
Two Worlds II Castle Defense -- MB-442F5186B13C7665 - Taken by ctw0e. 9 entrants total.
Lunar Flight -- MB-D12B1E05C1E07764 - Taken by Tesseract. 14 entrants total.
Commandos 3 Destination Berlin -- MB-A886D69F60AB99E9 - Taken by creamsugar. 10 entrants total.
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-A3FEFF25933DC25F - Taken by WavekSra. 5 entrants total.
Section 8 -- MB-46A6B4B43CDA4349 - Taken by nexen. 9 entrants total.
Greed Black Border -- MB-69482A08917F8F19 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 8 entrants total.
Shattered Horizon -- MB-AD9E42D8275FE883 - Taken by Kammie. 8 entrants total.
The Tiny Bang Story -- MB-8CDE49B3A3AC3A53 - Taken by Lain. 11 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-D39BF794CF62639F - Taken by Camel Master. 19 entrants total.
Imperium Romanum Gold Edition -- MB-D0E71FCAF61F665E - Taken by fantomena. 5 entrants total.
FTL -- MB-66E920025B1F71AA - Taken by C00kie M0nster. 4 entrants total.
Dream Pinball 3D -- MB-4C1C83A803C30F09 - Taken by SteveWinwood. 15 entrants total.
Rush Bros -- MB-1ABFA0AA2093F24C - Taken by kafiend. 21 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-3ED1B47BBAC602B9 - Taken by Tellaerin. 10 entrants total.
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire -- MB-73EF46C28DB77AE2 - Taken by Vecks. 17 entrants total.
Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead DESURA KEY -- MB-61E425F5AF0E1067
Commandos Behind Enemy Lines -- MB-41CC000F797D163A - Taken by Eanan. 10 entrants total.
Trapped Dead -- MB-F90830D281CF3D29 - Taken by MikeDip. 3 entrants total.
Battlepaths DESURA KEY -- MB-9A64AC99343888A4 - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Grotesque Tactics -- MB-F702BE2382C9DDF2 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 5 entrants total.
Unstoppable Gorg -- MB-E0F487913F8EBA01 - Taken by SinineSiil. 5 entrants total.
Iron Grip Warlord -- MB-C433B44D16ED454B - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.
Sanctum -- MB-33BC2E75C3E6A377 - Taken by bornlivedie. 13 entrants total.
Tropico Trilogy -- MB-E8F6161848C92231 - Taken by RS4-. 21 entrants total.
Restaurant Empire 2 -- MB-5DEB8336792FC374 - Taken by Pudge. 13 entrants total.
Earth 2160 -- MB-487ED7A5C69C1768 - Taken by MechaGodzilla. 11 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-E04EE4E6A8F4852B - Taken by Freezard. 9 entrants total.
Ion Assault -- MB-CE5372B597F746B3 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 9 entrants total.
Twin Sector -- MB-B018D418D30387A8 - Taken by gabbo. 6 entrants total.
Joint Task Force -- MB-9D764ADD1554DDCE - Taken by jshackles. 12 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-8F6403279C5524EE - Taken by DrippySpaff. 4 entrants total.
Planets Under Attack -- MB-65EA22890113BD01 - Taken by r3n4ud. 8 entrants total.
Nexus The Jupiter Incident -- MB-937FDD149699109D - Taken by denx. 19 entrants total.
Stellar Impact -- MB-5E9C261E7CE9F1FF - Taken by Pakkidis. 10 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-2E15BE704A7D8549 - Taken by frogg609. 11 entrants total.
Grotesque Tactics 2 -- MB-06B576E83E419591 - Taken by kidko. 7 entrants total.
Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-960EA8BF620C21E2 - Taken by Rayge. 18 entrants total.
Bad Bots -- MB-1387CFFBA551050D - Taken by Aitor. 8 entrants total.
Garshasp Temple of the Dragon -- MB-E3471576EC47C188 - Taken by Seagoon. 20 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-8EBE06C6D2A7AE84 - Taken by trailmix16. 7 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-714B0BF67C509D11 - Taken by angular graphics. 28 entrants total.
Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty -- MB-6395049ED773B254 - Taken by Miniboss. 7 entrants total.
Insecticide -- MB-663E0629FE6521C0 - Taken by Cth. 6 entrants total.
X Blades -- MB-96C23ACD93148028 - Taken by PixyJunket. 22 entrants total.

t1380326623z1.png

Turfster

I just wanted to Thank you to everyone on GAF for keeping this place unique. I see it as if we are little rocks. Alone they can't do much but if we put them all together, we can build a Castle with them. I'm very sorry for the "live journal" part, it's just a harsh time, something you all must have been through. I know this is the Steam thread (and not the Off Topic section) but to me it's a thread full of great GAFfers.

We love you, The_Monk. If we're all little rocks, you're a big part of the mortar holding us together. You're always polite and courteous and a joy to interact with. I hope your operation goes well (I went through the same thing after battling with a painful infected gum for over a month) and hope things start looking up for you starting next month.

Edit: Amazing giveaway. You're a prince.

That's the name I was looking for (couldn't remember it) and I just tried, you can use combinations of keys. Now I only need to understand how to switch from one configuration to another but so far so good, thanks!

If joy2key falls short, try xpadder.

It isn't free, but it is one of those programs that I'm happy I purchased. What you can do with it is have "auto profiles". What this means is you assign a profile to windows (with your shortcuts etc) and an empty profile to steam.exe or whatever game process you run that has controller support (so you don't have conflicts).

When you exit a game you'll hence get your windows keys back.

There are probably other programs that can do it but this is one option to explore.

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1944

Whenever I take a break from GAF it is this thread and people like you that bring me back. Can always hit me up if you need any help.

Acccent

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming#

Super interesting stuff, makes me very excited for the upcoming announcement. I can see Left 4 Dead 3 using biometric information in really interesting ways when it comes to "The Director".
Rookie mistake

...I just wanted to Thank you to everyone on GAF for keeping this place unique...

aw Monk, you're so sweet, really. I sincerely hope you sort out any problem you have and if I can do anything to help, let me know. You're certainly one of the kindest people out there, and as you said even if that post is kinda off-topic, it's posts like these that make steamgaf what it is: a truly amazing place to hang out in.

Because some of you were patient to read all this (again, I'm very sorry) my next post is going to be a kind, yet very humble giveaway for you all even if my wallet will be done until the end of this year and I shouldn't. Thank you for being part of this Community fellow GAFfers, never stop being good members. Good night!

All the best to you! Add me on Steam & I'll give you a game off your wishlist. http://steamcommunity.com/id/IblisGinjo

Retne

It's a wonderful giveaway Monk, thank you. It's a damn shame you don't have a PC to play your backlog on but you gave it out for a worthy cause. I'm not sure I'd have been capable of giving up my desktop to someone like you did. You're a solid dude and always helpful.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I hope a few of the Aussies will report a link to Monk's mega-giveaway overnight so it gets some good entrants. I'll repost it again in the morning. That's the worst thing about the 24 hour giveaways, no easy way to keep everyone's eyes on the prize with such a long length!

Turfster

I hope a few of the Aussies will report a link to Monk's mega-giveaway overnight so it gets some good entrants. I'll repost it again in the morning. That's the worst thing about the 24 hour giveaways, no easy way to keep everyone's eyes on the prize with such a long length!
Just a thought: Add something to modbot that, if it has a longer giveaway going, it makes a post with the link to the original giveaway every say 8 hours?

We should be the ones thanking you! Your presence here is one of the reason that makes this community be so polite, I consider you an example to be followed by our "community". I hope your surgery goes well.

Wow, The_Monk, very generous! Espero que a cirurgia corra bem (I used Google Translate for that, sorry if it is wrong!)

It's right.

Being without a proper PC to play many games from my Backlog sure is a bit sad to be honest fellow GAFfers. As some people know already, I gave it to a home that was learning how to use the internet for the first time and decided to start all my savings over again. However the Economy in here is so bad that this goal seems a very far priority and to make it worst paying a lot for things like medicine does not improve my day (I'll be on surgery for the second time in this month, October 1st to remove my second wisdom teeth) I've talked a little bit with one or two GAFfers and it's amazing to see how this community can provide kind and warm words in times of need. Every time I post I try to help every time I can or every time there's such need. I believe that, this is indeed the best Community on any Gaming related forum without a doubt. From members to mods, I can always find proper and polite discussions, kind people, humble people willing to help each other, giving advice and so on. I will keep on working every day or, one post at a time in order to keep building this fine Community because we all deserve this amazing place.

I haven't been a member of this forum for very long, but I lurked for a while before I signed up, and on every occasion that I've seen you post you've lived up to your goal and set an example for this community with your quiet kindness. For that I can only salute you, sir, and wish you the best with whatever you are going through.

Hey guys, so regarding Valve's last living room announcement, we are all expecting it to be a controller right? The Steam Machines page specifically mentions the release of upcoming information on "input". Well I was looking at some recent interviews with Gabe, and when talking about PC input, he not only mentions interest in low latency, but also in things like biometric feedback.
A controller would be a rather anti-climatic announcement to follow-up on an OS and hardware.

Matchew

Wow Monk that's awesome of you. I will echo your statements this community is by far the best I have seen on the internet and on GAF by far. No fighting just loving steam and PC gaming. It's refreshing to see after reading the console war crap everywhere else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just a thought: Add something to modbot that, if it has a longer giveaway going, it makes a post with the link to the original giveaway every say 8 hours?

That is a possible addition, thanks for the suggestion. In my head I see how I could do that fairly easily. There are a few technical hurdles, but yeah I think I know how it could be done

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Man, aren't you an incredibly kind and amazing person? Though I feel urged to admit that I disagree with the bolded, if you don't mind. I honestly believe that many people here have done great things on their own, and continue to do so day after day. Of course, all of the efforts and actions together make this a fantastic community group of GAFfers. Be it giving tips or opinions on games, recommendations, gifting stuff (or providing tools to do so), improving the Steam user experience with useful plug-ins or helping each other with their PC or games problems, many people here contributed to make this one of the best places on GAF (or why not, on the internet too).

Here's hoping everything goes well for you with the surgery. Don't hesitate to ask if you ever need a hand with something.

Yes, you are amazing indeed. I'm not going to enter any giveaway, since I already own several of the games I wanted from there and haven't played enough of them (if at all). But I still want to thank you for this and everything else you did. Even when you're going through a rough time you don't lose your classiness and good manners.

I'm being dead serious right now, I've got a lot to learn from you. Thanks for being here, fellow GAFfer. Thanks for being how you are.

Acccent

That is a possible addition, thanks for the suggestion. In my head I see how I could do that fairly easily. There are a few technical hurdles, but yeah I think I know how it could be done

Or you could make it edit the first post on every new page, 24h giveaways aren't frequent enough for it to bother people I think

Also, maybe we could get together and raise some money for The_Monk?

All the best for you mate! Good luck with your surgery!

Wow, The_Monk, very generous! Espero que a cirurgia corra bem (I used Google Translate for that, sorry if it is wrong!)
Yeah, it's perfect portuguese. :)

Turfster

Interesting.
To come back to the Rockin' Android/Greenlight steam keys thing:
The Greenlight icon for Cloudphobia in the Groupees Build a Bundle 7 is the lesser-seen promise-less version... and so is the Oknytt one.

Tellaerin

Thank you, The_Monk.

If a single poster could be said to exemplify the virtues of SteamGAF, it would be you. You're kind, generous, courteous, and warm-hearted, and you do everything in your power to make this community a better place. We're lucky to have you, and we're grateful you're with us. As someone who's had to deal with dental issues, I can definitely sympathize with what you're going through now. I hope your oral surgery goes smoothly, and here's to a quick recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom