• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Totally digging Borderlands, hits that Kingdom of Amalur 'one more mission before sleep' vibe. I can see why (some) people here hate it, sure, but it hits all the right spots for me. Would be my GOTY if I had friend to play with, I guess. Still a great experience.

I just wish the game didn't have respawning enemies (maybe in some select areas) - it would be a much tighter experience, if you wouldn't be able to grind.

I need to get around to playing the DLC. I've heard both mini-campaigns are quite solid.

Edit: Err, I grossly misread your post and thought you'd been playing Amalur, haha.

nacimento

urgh... last two pages...

Here's a prize up for grabs:

330x192

What is the most underrated game on Steam that no one plays?
Could be gameplay/mechanics/story/visuals - but tell us why.
Winner chosen at 1800GMT (3+ hours from this post.)

Spellforce 2. It's already some years old, but holds up great. The mix of RPG and RTS is really fun and it has a pretty awesome campaign which boasts a lot of variety.

The Expansion in the Gold edition, DragonStorm, is great as well. I love it because it's IMO the best blend of my two favorite genres, being a competent RPG-lite and RTS. The world is interesting as well, even though it's one of those cases were the world is better than the plot itself.

A pity that the developer, Phenomic, is stuck in EA's browser-game making limbo. The first Spellforce is a quality game as well, with som worse mechanics but a better story (pretty fantasy standard, though).

Ledsen

330x192

ZIL1Z.png

Take Super Meat Boy. Now remove his legs and drop him from a great height. That is Nimbus. You are a momentum-driven spaceship whose only means of acceleration is gravity. As you fall, you gain speed. As you rise, you lose it. This deceptively simple mechanic combined with dozens of deviously designed but pleasantly short levels creates the sort of lasting appeal that will have you returning again and again, because you almost had it that last time, if only you could nudge yourself over that... last... ledge... New and interesting mechanics are introduced at a pleasant pace but quickly turn against you as you fail again and again. Despite the games difficulty, you will rarely feel frustrated as the developers managed a smooth difficulty curve throughout. And if you somehow get angry at it, the pleasant and soothing music will quickly calm you down. It took me over a year to finish this game, in short spurts between other, more laborious experiences, and it kept me engaged the entire time. It's always puzzled me that this game didn't arise to the pantheon of the Great Indies alongside such games as the aforementioned Super Meat Boy. I encourage everyone to play it!

02zp9.gif

KS2AH.gif

(thanks to GAF OT for pics)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Fortix ($0.99) and Fortix 2 ($1.99)

They are simple games but highly addictive. They are a lot like the 80's game Qix, in that you separate pieces of the map with lines that follow your character. If you're able to make it to another part of what the game calls the base line then you gain back a section of the map and trap any enemies or forts trapped within. It starts off really easy and ramps up smoothly, with the last stages presenting a welcome challenge. It's hard not to recommend both games for how cheap they are but the second improves on almost everything in the original, including a new graphics style, the addition of puzzle elements like keys and gates, and more levels and enemies. Again, these are short games that are cheap and, as a bonus, will get your Steam cards too, which is nice. They might even pay for themselves.

I always enjoy a good Qix like game and one trying something different even more so. Thanks for sharing this, I would have never have noticed it otherwise.

Turfster

Psycho Break is The Evil Within's name in Japan. Sorta like Resident Evil/Biohazard.

No PS4 exclusive thank god.

Oh. That explains. I retract my statement, sort of =p

I always enjoy a good Qix like game and one trying something different even more so. Thanks for sharing this, I would have never have noticed it otherwise.
Fortix is part of the current Groupees Be Mine Special Edition for the same price.

Take Super Meat Boy. Now remove his legs and drop him from a great height. That is Nimbus.
I loved Nimbus. It had that "one more try" feel and unlike SMB, it didn't go out of its way to screw the player up if they didn't have the motor reflexes of an 8 year old on a sugar rush.

Ledsen

New Humble bundle leaked, Focus is the Developer

Standard

• Divinity II: Developer's Cut

RAW - Realms of Ancient War

Game of Thrones

Confrontation

Cities XL 2012

Blood Bowl: LE - Activation Key

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (

• BTA
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Wargame: European Escalation + DLC

Will grab for GoT (own most of the others).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
glorious title :D

suscribed!

Aaron

Prime World: Defenders is on my wishlist, due to Xel's review, and I'll definitely pick it up one day... but price (I don't think it's dipped under $10 yet) and a lack of word-of-mouth might've been barriers to its success thus far.

Looks like a very solid title with high production values that warrants more attention, but perhaps it has simply suffered due to a general malaise regarding anything labelled 'tower defence'?
Funny you should mention that, I recently bought the game because I crafted a 75% coupon. Have to say for $3.50 it's fantastic. It's easy and quick tower defense with a pretty neat card mechanic. Saw reviews complain about it being a grind, but I don't feel the need to max out my cards since I'm still clearing the levels.

Cheddahz

Banned

Standard

Game of Thrones

Confrontation

Cities XL 2012

• BTA

Amazing bundle, I might BTA for it

Standard

Game of Thrones

Confrontation

Cities XL 2012

• BTA

Might grab for Testament of Sherlock Holmes depending on BTA price.

330x192

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure it's me an DaFish who play it on steam. Nobody probably bought it yet because of the $19.99 price tag, but it's pixeljunk monsters so it's worth any price attached to it. It's probably the most relaxing game on steam, that is until one of your little dudes die, then it fills my heart with rage and sadness.

The_Monk

330x192

I'll give it a go fellow GAFfer:

Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

It has a metascore of 66/100 and Steam says I have 27 friends that have the game and 5 who want it. The game is not great gameplay wise. It might have poor mechanics but if you like Lord of the Rings you may like this game.

It have a nice setting to be played in the Winter with the Night town pouring rain like crazy and some quests with the world full of Snow. You can play Co-op with a friend.

The soundtrack is really nice too, they even had an Orchestra during E3 in 2011! Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSMfNACvGGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-8gxzQHZs

The Art is very nice too. In game you can think it's simple but there are some details here and there that show that there was talented people working in the game.

Here's the picture of my Soundtrack and my own Art Book too:

DaBoss

Here are some numbers:

Assassin's Creed: 8 million as at April 2009
Assassin's Creed II: 9 million as at February 2010
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: 7.2 million as at May 2011
Assassin's Creed Revelations: 7 million as at February 2012
Assassin's Creed III: 12 million as at February 2013

While interest in the franchise certainly waned circa Brotherhood and Revelations, I think it's quite likely that all the numbered entries are over 10m at this point.

A bit late to this, but I feel like ACIII sold best due to the setting, which was in the "USA" and set during the War of 1812. I think we'll see a decline from ACIII to ACIV, but maybe it being a launch title for next-gen consoles can offset that.

EDIT: Meant American Revolutionary War, sorry about that.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I liked what i've played from War In The North. I'm no LoTR's fan, but the atmosphere in that game was great. Too bad about all those enemy waves, though.
It's pretty clear they want you to play in co-op, and i'm more of a SP guy. :p

Anyhow, about Assassin's Creed...
Which one would you guy's reccomend to a newcommer? Played a bit from part three thanks to PS+ and liked it, but I can't bare the framerate. Are the PC ports any good?

And, eh, story related.
Do they constantly push the magical apple's/precursors/weird alien glowing dude's in your face, or is it just backstory? That stuff didn't click the right way, if you know what I mean.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A bit late to this, but I feel like ACIII sold best due to the setting, which was in the "USA" and set during the War of 1812. I think we'll see a decline from ACIII to ACIV, but maybe it being a launch title for next-gen consoles can offset that.

Lol no one in America cares about the War of 1812. It barely gets a chapter in history books. I think you meant Revolutionary War.

Also, we aren't the "USA." We are the USA.

DaBoss

Lol no one in America cares about the War of 1812. It barely gets a chapter in history books. I think you meant Revolutionary War.

Whoops, you're right, sorry about that.

I put USA in quotation marks because I thought it wasn't an independent nation till after the war.

EDIT: It seemed they declared independence during the war.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

My son's history teacher (grade 9) told him that the War of 1812 had no historical significance. I had to sit him down and explain that sometimes teachers are wrong.

JaseC

I liked what i've played from War In The North. I'm no LoTR's fan, but the atmosphere in that game was great. Too bad about all those enemy waves, though.
It's pretty clear they want you to play in co-op, and i'm more of a SP guy. :p

Anyhow, about Assassin's Creed...
Which one would you guy's reccomend to a newcommer? Played a bit from part three thanks to PS+ and liked it, but I can't bare the framerate. Are the PC ports any good?

And, eh, story related.
Do they constantly push the magical apple's/precursors/weird alien glowing dude's in your face, or is it just backstory? That stuff didn't click the right way, if you know what I mean.

I'd recommend starting with 2 as more often than not the monotonous, repetitive nature of the original is off-putting to newcomers to the series. The campaigns in the games focus for the most part on the yesteryear narrative; the First Civilisation stuff exists mostly as a window-dressed means to an end.

Nabs

Wowsers. I had some weird technical issues last night, so I decided to try Dark Souls vanilla...

I forgot how shitty it looks without Durante and the text mod. Holy shit! There are people out there playing the game like this. I feel for 'em.

Grief.exe

Wowsers. I had some weird technical issues last night, so I decided to try Dark Souls vanilla...

I forgot how shitty it looks without Durante and the text mod. Holy shit! There are people out there playing the game like this. I feel for 'em.

Sajjaja plays every game like that.

KenOD

Thanks to Turfster I went with groupees bundle, but now I have extra keys as I only wanted Fortix and surprisingly the music. So enjoy.

No idea about why the images aren't showing.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg
MacGuffins Curse -- MB-6684BC40EA621294 - Taken by bornlivedie. 2 entrants total.
Ravaged Zombie Apocalypse -- MB-CCF1F4D0FE29944C - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Tower Wars -- MB-8138F78905CC3FC8 - Taken by tjohn86. 3 entrants total.
Star Wolves 3 Civil War -- MB-A8119CBE80A6E3BB - Taken by The Super Bob. 3 entrants total.

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1379433995z1.png

KenOD

Hmm, I messed that up somehow didn't I? Someone care to enlightened this unlearned fool?

JaseC

I sunk several hours into the game earlier in the year, before putting it back on the backburner to finish something else (I'll get back to it one of these days), and only semi-recently realised that I changed the wrong line in DSfix, meaning the game was still rendering internally at 1024x720.

Oops.

Hmm, I messed that up somehow didn't I? Someone care to enlightened this unlearned fool?

The images aren't showing because you copied the wrong text and so the URLs are truncated. When viewing the "Thanks! Here's your post code!" PM, scroll down to the Quick Reply box, where you can copy ModBot's message in full.

Thorgal

Need some help here guys.

naamloostherz.png

two things :

1 I pre ordered Agarest war but as you can see there is no pre install button .

is this a problem or has the game simply no preinstall option ?

2 For a while now Half life source seems like it is trying to update but nothing happens at all . ( put it on pause for the shot)

What is going on ?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'd recommend starting with 2 as more often than not the monotonous, repetitive nature of the original is off-putting to newcomers to the series. The campaigns in the games focus for the most part on the yesteryear narrative; the First Civilisation stuff exists mostly as a window-dressed means to an end.
Allright, thanks. I'll look into 2. :)
The protagonist's name is great, that's for sure.

Volcynika

Need some help here guys.

naamloostherz.png

two things :

1 I pre ordered Agarest war but as you can see there is no pre install button .

is this a problem or has the game simply no preinstall option ?

2 For a while now Half life source seems like it is trying to update but nothing happens at all . ( put it on pause for the shot)

What is going on ?

Not all games have pre-loads. And for those that do, it's usually a few days before release.

Grief.exe

I sunk several hours into the game earlier in the year, before putting it back on the backburner to finish something else (I'll get back to it one of these days), and only semi-recently realised that I changed the wrong line in DSfix, meaning the game was still rendering internally at 1024x720.

Oops.

Dark Souls internal renderer set at 1440p, sogood.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom