• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

reading about it isn't going to change my opinion until it's in my hands

Your opinion about what buttons are available to press that you are confusing for the face buttons? OK.

But sure, hopefully you'll get your hands on it so that you realize what people know right now by reading about it. *shrugs*

Wanted a good survival horror game to play through October and just remembered I had the Dead Space trilogy sitting in my backlog for awhile now.

What is the best way to experience these games?

By stopping at the end of the second one.

Otherwise a good set of headphones will really help.

Copons

Isn't it nice when people start replying your last post in the exact moment you go to sleep? :D

Which white light?

Undead Parish, after the boar boss.

I remember spending like 6 hours in the Undead Burg, trying to kill the black knight and experimenting, that was when I first played the game. Afterwards, I got the hang of it and it went much smoother. The combat is really simple if you think about it — dodge, block, strike, roll away, wait for stamina to recover, roll, backstab, rinse and repeat.

I'm still at the Burg bonfire so I know what you're talking about.
Yesterday I finally noticed that hitting consumes stamina, and I answered my ancestral question to why the hell sometimes I can perform combos and sometimes not. :D

Seriously tho: just don't read stuff on the internet unless you desperately need to! going through the white light is fine :)

yup, try to go as blind as you can. if you see something you feel like killing, try it, fail, then try again until you feel like there's no hope, then maybe check a guide

or come back in 20 hours with a big ass upgraded sword and destroy that bitch

The knight I'm talking about is the one in the tower right before entering Undead Parish, after the bridge with the huge dragon (I litterally shat my pants the first time he landed there from nowhere, firing fire all over the place and killing me with like 10000 souls from a bit of farming and the Taurus guy over the Burg walls :D ).
Fact is, that knight position is soooo uncomfortable that I just don't enjoy fighting him at all. Camera movement in the tower's narrow spiral stairs it's terrible, and worse when I lock on him to guard while moving back.
Anyway, the lame strategy was actually funny to perform, because the camera got me confused and instead of going down back to the bridge I went toward the Parish, aggroing the skeleton there and letting the knight block the corridor, so I had to instakill the skeleton while the knight was trying to hit the hell out of me, then rolling around everybody screaming NOPE and finally going down to the bridge, where he didn't fall, and when I went to check if he was dead, he was perfectly fine around the corner, probably laughing at me before killing me. :D

I wandered into the graveyard early on because I just assumed skeletons would be easy to kill as, well, they're skeletons. Nope.

Been there, done that. :'(

Copons if you want a small tip on the black knight that worked for me early one

Lure him out of the tower and near the bottom of the small staircase at the entrance to the tower. There's a small ledge above it, run back up the stairs and use a downward thrust from above and rinse/repeat.

It's kind of tricky though.

Kammie

So I was going through steamcardexchange.net, and it turns out that all the cards on Steam are made from 1920x1080 images. If you open each individual card on a new tab or save the link, you'll get the full-res versions. Are these supposed to be accessible if you earn the cards in Steam? I've earned a few cards in the past, but just sold them without paying much attention to them.

Just a few of my faves that I just saw:

Civ 5
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider
Portal 2
Total War Shogun

Dec

Damn, I didn't know. It was pretty good — made by people who made the Spellforce games. I had my fair share of fun with it, used to play it a lot in 2009-2010 with some friends. Don't think I'd ever get back into it. Still a shame though.

Yes, it's all in one package.

Wow, the Spellforce games are great. Kind of sad I missed the party.

YS CHRONICLES MUSIC IS SO GOOD GUYS.

LIKE, REALLY GOOD.

It's all in the install directory, too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I was going through steamcardexchange.net, and it turns out that all the cards on Steam are made from 1920x1080 images. If you open each individual card on a new tab or save the link, you'll get the full-res versions. Are these supposed to be accessible if you earn the cards in Steam? I've earned a few cards in the past, but just sold them without paying much attention to them.

Civ 5
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider
Portal 2
Total War Shogun

You never thought to click on one of your cards when viewing the page of an individual badge? ;)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You never thought to click on one of your cards when viewing the page of an individual badge? ;)

I never did.

8667de74cf7f7b94daca2a31ba3c80fda2bf54d7.jpg

#swag

Out of all the misguided sequels and reboots that I've picked up and played through in the past few years, I'd have to say DmC is my favourite. I actually like the game quite a bit, cringe-worthy cutscenes aside. One thing I've noticed is how the game encourages replaying through previous levels with the power-ups and abilities you acquire in later levels to gain access to the keys and bonus challenge rooms. I kinda like that.

My only real complaint is how the controls feel a bit busy at times with having to juggle your normal attacks between the demon and angel weapons to deal with different enemy types. That and dodging is tied to pressing two buttons at once.

Took a quick peek at at guide to see how far in I am, about half-way through. The game grows on me the more I play it. At this point I'll probably buy The Vergil's Downfall DLC once I beat the main campaign and I'd probably be down to buy the sequel.

Scipius

]

What's more, when you collect all cards and craft the badge, the cards will disappear from your inventory, but you will continue to be able to view the high-res art work.

Arthea

So, I've been away for a while and suddenly bunch of things are happening. You probably already discussed it to the bits, but how's family sharing working for you (if you got selected)? What do you think about all other news?
Not sure I like a controller, I mean, it looks uncomfortable, no?

In other news: Septerra Core is on steam. It might be a wannabe FF and a tad old, but it's by no means a bad game. So if you like old school JRPGs, you might wanna buy it, seeing how cheap it is (><)

JaseC

So, I've been away for a while and suddenly bunch of things are happening. You probably already discussed it to the bits, but how's family sharing working for you (if you got selected)? What do you think about all other news?
Not sure I like a controller, I mean, it looks uncomfortable, no?

I was accepted into the beta the other day, but I have no use for the family sharing feature in its current, limited form. The Steam Controller has piqued my interest, though: it's certainly peculiar but I trust Valve's judgement.

Twinduct

I was accepted into the beta the other day, but I have no use for the family sharing feature in its current, limited form.

Please elaborate on this. What's the current short comings?

Any impressions of Day One(good lord at the screenshot of the guy's arm ,what is that?)or The Dead Linger?

Watching Vids online .. Stay away from both for now.
Day One looks like a student Project and is riddled with Bugs.
Dead linger is really really early. Would give it tome to improve before jumping in.

Arthea

I was accepted into the beta the other day, but I have no use for the family sharing feature in its current, limited form. The Steam Controller has piqued my interest, though: it's certainly peculiar but I trust Valve's judgement.

How is it limited?
I mean it was limited from the start, by definition. Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you explain it a lil?

Watching Vids online .. Stay away from both for now.
Day One looks like a student Project and is riddled with Bugs.
Dead linger is really really early. Would give it tome to improve before jumping in.

Thanks! Day One just caught my attention because of the picture of the arm that I linked above which seemed to imply you had to keep track of your body or terrible things would happen. The other screenshots seemed a bit more generic and awful.

JaseC

Two stick out to me:

1) Sharing is defined by localisation. As the account owner, you can authorise whichever device you use, but for a user to send a remote access request via e-mail, you need to have signed in and installed a game on that device, and while it's possible to get around this using Remote Desktop and the like, it's not the most elegant solution.

2) Concurrent library access is not permitted. Sure, I realise it's not to be expected due to the feature being centred around library sharing and not game sharing, but it's still overly restrictive. The account owner gets preference, though, so there's that, at least.

I suspect Valve will eventually loosen the noose, so I'm not particularly concerned.

How is it limited?
I mean it was limited from the start, by definition. Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you explain it a lil?

I didn't mean to imply the beta is limited in terms of what it offers from the Family Sharing feature set.

didamangi

Just bought a GRID 2 steam code for $5 yesterday from a steam trader and it turns out Intel are giving it away for free? (on some countries) on facebook. Oh, well.

Anyone from the supporting countries (presumably US) can vouch if it's still available?

Anyway, a few days ago I got a cheap GTX 570 from a friend, upgrading from my older HD 6850 and while the faster performance is great, the great thing about going to the green side is the forced anti aliasing thing and more AA options than AMD. (I'm one of those guys that will choose 30 fps with great AA quality rather than 60fps with FXAA/SMAA quality)

It's just a great feature that's really missing from AMD. No more shimmering in game FXAA/SMAA/MLAA crap.

Twinduct

Two stick out to me:

1) Sharing is defined by localisation. As the account owner, you can authorise whichever device you use, but for a user to send a remote access request via e-mail, you need to have signed in and installed a game on that device, and while it's possible to get around this using Remote Desktop and the like, it's not the most elegant solution.

2) Concurrent library access is not permitted. Sure, I realise it's not to be expected due to the feature being centred around library sharing and not game sharing, but it's still overly restrictive. The account owner gets preference, though, so there's that, at least.

I suspect Valve will eventually loosen the noose, so I'm not particularly concerned.

Ah point 2 is really bad! Makes the whole thing pointless for my needs (Friend wanted to play X3 yesterday and in my brain I had a little 'Fuck yes! Sharing would be awesome in this case' sadly it seems no)

With point 1, not completely sure what you mean with this. If the sharee wants to play a game, that specific game needs to be installed on the sharer's PC? So The sharer and the sharee needs to have the exact same installed library?

JaseC

Just bought a GRID 2 steam code for $5 yesterday from a steam trader and it turns out Intel are giving it away for free? (on some countries) on facebook. Oh, well.

Anyone from the supporting countries (presumably US) can vouch if it's still available?

Anyway, a few days ago I got a cheap GTX 570 from a friend, upgrading from my older HD 6850 and while the faster performance is great, the great thing about going to the green side is the forced anti aliasing thing and more AA options than AMD. (I'm one of those guys that will choose 30 fps with great AA quality rather than 60fps with FXAA/SMAA quality)

It's just a great feature that's really missing from AMD. No more shimmering in game FXAA/SMAA/MLAA crap.

It's still available (Spotflux did the trick). Intel is giving away 100 keys a day over 100 days and the promotion has been running for 13 days already. To obtain a key, you need to "race", but I'm not sure what it entails exactly as I selected a practice race, however the video buffering was relentless.

Edit: Err, 100 keys per day over 100 days, I mean. Fixed.

Milamber

Well damn...

ELIGIBILITY: The Intel/GRID 2 Steam Code Giveaway Contest (&#8220;Contest&#8221;) is open only to legal residents of Canada (not including Quebec), Germany, United Kingdom, and the 50 United States (and the District of Columbia)

The details: The Intel GRID 2 Steam Code Givewaway is your chance to win a Steam download code for Codemasters critically acclaimed game, GRID 2! You have one chance each day to find hidden objects in the GRID 2 videos as fast as you can. The top 100 fastest times each day will receive a download code. You can practice your object finding skills on other videos and past races after you've submitted your timed entry.

Good luck!

Limit one code per email address

didamangi

It's still available (Spotflux did the trick). Intel is giving away 100 keys over 100 days and the promotion has been running for 13 days already. To obtain a key, you need to "race", but I'm not sure what it entails exactly as I selected a practice race but the video buffering was relentless.

Oh, it's a contest. I thought its just click here to get your key thing :))

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol did they have a bunch of unused codes from their graphics cards that didnt sell before the game was too old? I paid $20 for one off ebay a few months ago and don't regret it. great game.

Binabik15

Seanspeed

Banned
I just tried the GRID 2 thing and it just aint worth it for me. Have to sign up to a mailing list, only 100 winners a day and you have to do this godforsaken awful 'race' where you don't control anything and then it pauses and you have to find 3 objects on the screen. Except that the picture quality is terrible and it seems to be bugged where absolutely none of the items I'm supposed to find are on the screen and you just have to click away all over til it says you've found it.

I just don't care enough. I played GRID 2 at the BritGAF meetup a couple nights ago and the game sucked anyway. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
been playing the ballad of gay tony these couple days, and man it's great, by far the best rockstar's ever written. the dialogue and relationship between tony and luis is fantastic, I'm really surprised how much I actually enjoy cutscenes in a rockstar game.

the lost and damned wasn't bad, but it was kinda lame even though the bikes felt really good, but tbogt is leaving a very good impression on me, and making me kind of hopeful for gta 5

where was this dan houser for max payne 3 man

Binabik15

Why go through all that when 360 controllers are readily available everywhere?

Eh, I have one, but I don't like it very much. Personal preference. Button shape, shitty d-pad, batteries. It even feels worse holding it compared to a Dualshock.

Besides, the wireless adapter doesn't always work with my pc as it should, dropping the controller, the controller going to sleep and not turning back on and stuff.

Milamber

Mmmm.... Sexy.

Eh, I have one, but I don't like it very much. Personal preference. Button shape, shitty d-pad, batteries. It even feels worse holding it compared to a Dualshock.

Besides, the wireless adapter doesn't always work with my pc as it should, dropping the controller, the controller going to sleep and not turning back on and stuff.
There is always the wired one or if the shitty d-pad is that much of a deterrent, then there is the *cough* razer sabertooth *cough*.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Civ 5
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider
Portal 2
Total War Shogun
I'm totally going to use the Portal and Tomb Raider ones as desktop backgrounds, thanks! I'll see if I can get the 1080p version of some others, using the trick you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom