• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam Family Sharing has been great for me so far. I don't like sharing my own account so sometimes I had to buy a game multiple times for my bros (I'm the older brother and the only one with a job ATM :/).

It's a big deal to me. Now I hope more developers embrace Steamworks.

kulapik

Sooo is the end of month giveaway going to be first come first serve, right? And FFA?

Steam Family Sharing has been great for me so far. I don't like sharing my own account so sometimes I had to buy a game multiple times for my bros (I'm the older brother and the only one with a job ATM :/).

It's a big deal to me. Now I hope more developers embrace Steamworks.

Can you give details on how it works? Can two people play at the same time (other than the host, which we know he kicks)? Can you authorice by mail?

People always blow that aspect out of proportion though. I'm pretty sure my friend has put 15+ hours into games on my account since we got into the beta without me even being aware that my games library was in use.

And since we both have pretty rich libraries I can just play his games while he plays mine.While he sampled The Swapper, I played Rune on his account.

I'm sure someone who is in the process of trying to buy everything on Steam and never play it would find a sharing feature highly useful.

Didn't know this was possible. That's cool actually.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
People always blow that aspect out of proportion though. I'm pretty sure my friend has put 15+ hours into games on my account since we got into the beta without me even being aware that my games library was in use.

And since we both have pretty rich libraries I can just play his games while he plays mine. While he sampled The Swapper, I played Rune on his account.

Don't get my wrong, I'm not blowing it out of proportion or bashing it. But I am saying that I believe my situation is the one that truly applies (hence the name "Steam Family Sharing") to what they're trying to do.

My gripe with "library sharing" rather than "game sharing" is that my son and I are both home from work/school on the same schedule. I know people are trying to compare it to the way sharing works with consoles, although Valve never has. We have 2 Xbox 360s and about 40 games for the system. If him and I both want to play different games on different consoles on different TVs at the same time, we can. With Steam Family Sharing, we can't.

In this case, there isn't a "lost sale".

The_Monk

It makes me sad to see people brush off or feel preemptive disappointment with Steam Family Sharing. Or speak on it as if an authority while not having even tried it.

This happens regarding many things, in many threads actually. I'm glad there's a Beta out there, because the main purpose of it is for people to try, discuss, and then we hope they can improve based on the feedback.

Also, thank you very much didamangi, looks like I won Cognition.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't get my wrong, I'm not blowing it out of proportion or bashing it. But I am saying that I believe my situation is the one that truly applies (hence the name "Steam Family Sharing") to what they're trying to do.

My gripe with "library sharing" rather than "game sharing" is that my son and I are both home from work/school on the same schedule. I know people are trying to compare it to the way sharing works with consoles, although Valve never has. We have 2 Xbox 360s and about 40 games for the system. If him and I both want to play different games on different consoles on different TVs at the same time, we can. With Steam Family Sharing, we can't.

That was always a fantastically unrealistic expectation for digital distribution platforms though. These publishers have already lost 40-50$ of potential revenue from my friend even with the current set up (which probably didn't require publisher agreement due to it's implementation). If it was a per game basis that $ amount would probably be even higher.

Without the potential for inconvenience there would never be any reason for my group of 4 friends to ever buy more than one copy ever.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That was always a fantastically unrealistic expectation for digital distribution platforms though. These publishers have already lost 40-50$ of potential revenue from my friend even with the current set up (which probably didn't require publisher agreement due to it's implementation). If it was a per game basis that $ amount would probably be even higher.

True. I guess if I had one suggestion to fix it, it would be to lift this particular restriction for games being launched from the same IP address. Since 99% of all home networks use NAT, this would mean you could do true game sharing as long as it was in the same household.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm sure someone who is in the process of trying to buy everything on Steam and never play it would find a sharing feature highly useful.

Depending on the circumstances, the alternative of logging into my account on another machine and then switching to Offline Mode would actually be a better approach as the user could play whatever offline game he/she wants without needing to worry about being booted off. Even if you don't have a problem with the lack of concurrent library access, though, surely you can agree that access requests being dependent upon the account owner having installed a game on that particular device is needlessly restrictive -- with Family Sharing in its current form, if I actually sought to share my library with my family, I'd need to provide them with my log-in details and send them the Steam Guard code or remotely access their PC and sign into my account myself.

True. I guess if I had one suggestion to fix it, it would be to lift this particular restriction for games being launched from the same IP address. Since 99% of all home networks use NAT, this would mean you could do true game sharing as long as it was in the same household.

This is what I was initially expecting given how the feature focuses on machines local to the account holder.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Depending on the circumstances, the alternative of logging into my account on another machine and then switching to Offline Mode would actually be a better approach as the user could play whatever offline game he/she wants without needing to worry about being booted off. Even if you don't have a problem with the lack of concurrent library access, though, surely you can agree that access requests being dependent upon the account owner having installed a game on that particular device is needlessly restrictive -- with Family Sharing in its current form, if I actually sought to share my library with my family, I'd need to remotely access their PC and sign into my account.

Or you know, you could just give them your account login since they are your family and message them the Steamguard code?

jshackles

This is what I was initially expecting given how the feature focuses on machines local to the account holder.

My prediction is that after it leaves beta, this is something we'll see in this feature's future.

Fast forward my example of having two Xbox 360s 3 years from now. I'm average gaming consumer Joe and I have two Steam boxes/consoles/whatever. I'm going to balk at the idea of only being able to play on one of them at a time.

JaseC

My prediction is that after it leaves beta, this is something we'll see in this feature's future.

Fast forward my example of having two Xbox 360s 3 years from now. I'm average gaming consumer Joe and I have two Steam boxes/consoles/whatever. I'm going to balk at the idea of only being able to play on one of them at a time.

Yeah, I noted earlier today that I think Valve will relax the limitations in the future. No doubt that the beta is just a starting point and it's being used to gather feedback vis-a-vis what people want to see expanded upon and this information will be used in talks with publishers in hope of finding some common or middle ground.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Steam Family Sharing has two problems, really:

1) Valve designed the system to be used with actual friends and family. If you can't trust the person with your password, then ask yourself, "Are they really my friend or family?"

2) Valve still expects you to buy games sometimes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's almost as slick as creating a game review blog in a language literally no game developer can read.

www.polygon.com actually gave Marlow Briggs a 7/10. Those review copies are sounding like a pretty good idea right now.

bizarre. i just won Warhammer from that giveaway and modbot gave me an encrypted key(that is, when you register a game on ModBot, and he spits out the key to post on the thread). was it a fake key, or a bug occurred?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'm putting up around 200 keys sometime early this afternoon eastern time. It's mostly garbage. There were a few awesome games but I'm reasonably certain they're taken (basically anything that's a Steam gift link rather than a key is clearly going to be re-used by the person within a few days of it not being claimed). If you want 15 copies of Crayon Physics Deluxe or NightSky or Cogs or a bunch of the Red Faction Armageddon DLC, this giveaway is for you~
Stump, can you wait till I dispose of my spare Origin and Desura keys? I know ModdyBotty isn't a dumpster, but I know not what else to do with those keys
(and no, inserting them into one of my body orifices isn't an option I'm seriously considering at the moment).

JaseC

Ivan?

21fIJj6.jpg

Kifimbo

The games of the week:

09/30/2013 - Haunted Memories - Adventure - ParanormalDev/ParanormalDev - F2P
10/01/2013 - Flashback - Platform - Ubisoft/Vectorcell - $9.99
10/01/2013 - Arma Tactics - Strategy - Bohemia Interactive/Bohemia Interactive - $8.99
10/01/2013 - NBA 2K14 - Sports - 2K Games/Visual Concepts - $29.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

10/02/2013 - Air Conflicts: Vietnam - Air Combat - Kalypso Media/bitComposer Games - $29.99
10/03/2013 - Agarest: Generations of War - Action/RPG - Ghostlight - Compile Heart - $19.99
10/03/2013 - F1 2013 - Racing - Codemasters/Codemasters - $49.99

Like Pool Nation above, many surprises not included.

Acccent

I think Modbot, on top of striking entries and adding the winner when editing the giveaway posts, should move them to the bottom of the list. In small givaways it isn't a problem but it would make things easier in huge posts like the "garbage pile" :p

(I'm not taking any game myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom