• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That's one heck of a giveaway, great scott :/

Received a -65% Cities In Motion 2 coupon as well. Own the first one, so i'm guessing that's it. Anyhow, if anyone's interested, give me a shout. :)

Wok

If you are me from the future the past, skip the first twenty pages and start with this post:
So basically Dark Souls is fucked with DSfix now until Durante repairs their damage.

New Humble bundle leaked, Focus is the Developer
Standard
  • Divinity II: Developer's Cut
  • RAW - Realms of Ancient War
  • Game of Thrones
  • Confrontation
  • Cities XL 2012
  • Blood Bowl: LE - Activation Key
  • Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
BTA
  • The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
  • Wargame: European Escalation + DLC

(Did I miss the announcement of this one?)
New Bundle in a box, the indie rpg bundle (only one steam game, Hack Slash Loot, but still)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If you are me from the future, skip the first twenty pages and start with this post:

Wouldn't you from the future already know all of that, since you from the present already knows?

That's a message useful for you from the past.

Seanspeed

Banned
So its been a little over a month now since joining Steam and having a PC gaming rig in general.

I have 36 titles in my Steam library. Plus Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 3(Origin). Splinter Cell: Blacklist. And Minecraft.

That's more games than I've ever had at one time in any point of my life previously. In just a little over a month. Usually this would have meant some reckless spending spree, but with buying a majority of these during the Summer Sale, and jumping on some of the crazy bundles, I've spent less than the cost of five full-priced console titles altogether.

I know 36 Steam games is nothing compared to some of your libraries, but that's a large amount of games for me.

I still haven't figured out yet whether this is a good or a bad thing. :p

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
who decides which games receive trading cards? that link makes it seem like gunpoint made the call
Pretty sure the developers can just say "we want to do this".

What they may not be able to control is when the cards are added to Steam. It seems that Valve and Suspicious Developments worked out a plan for the cards (they would have had to coordinate to do a midweek deal anyway) but other devs have mentioned a queue.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So its been a little over a month now since joining Steam and having a PC gaming rig in general.

I have 36 titles in my Steam library. Plus Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 3(Origin). Splinter Cell: Blacklist. And Minecraft.

That's more games than I've ever had at one time in any point of my life previously. In just a little over a month. Usually this would have meant some reckless spending spree, but with buying a majority of these during the Summer Sale, and jumping on some of the crazy bundles, I've spent less than the cost of five full-priced console titles altogether.

I know 36 Steam games is nothing compared to some of your libraries, but that's a large amount of games for me.

I don't know which games you do have, but you should go through some older messages in this thread and grab some origin games. Everybody has them (from the humble bundle) and nobody is claiming them. The streets are literally paved with gold. The only problem is that we all have that gold already.

The_Monk

It's a good thing fellow GAFfer, you are getting more value and games for your money. Can't wait to see you here during those sales!

Are you getting the PS4 anytime soon or will you be main PC for now?

chronomac

I've had 3 of the 4 Gunpoint cards drop so far and all 3 have been this:

73jFmuN.png

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't know which games you do have, but you should go through some older messages in this thread and grab some origin games. Everybody has them (from the humble bundle) and nobody is claiming them. The streets are literally paved with gold. The only problem is that we all have that gold already.
Yea, I got that EA bundle when it came around. All games except BF3 and Dead Space 3 came with Steam Keys.

Speaking of unclaimed keys, I have an FTL key available still if anybody wants it. Seems just about everyone has it at this point! lol

It's a good thing fellow GAFfer, you are getting more value and games for your money. Can't wait to see you here during those sales!

Are you getting the PS4 anytime soon or will you be main PC for now?
Its a good thing to have so many games at such good value, but there's so much choice now. Too much! Its like that feeling you get after a big grocery shopping, not knowing what to make for dinner(or is that just me?). I've also never been one of the people with a 'backlog'. I have one now and its shadow is starting to loom....

I'll get one of the next-gen consoles a few years down the line. Not sure which yet. I'll wait it out and see whats good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Expect this to become a regular thing.

EviLore said something a long time ago that I sort of agree with. It makes the most sense to treat Steam as a subscription service like Netflix. Every month you buy a couple of games for dirt cheap, pick up a few keys for free, buy a few indie bundles. The net result is $10-15 a month. A few sales a year, you pump in another $50. That gets you 100+ games a year. After a few initial sales where you need to catch up and build your library, that's the only investment you need. In return, you get every game you'd ever want to play--in exchange for maybe waiting a few months for a few of them. And the best part is, unlike other subscription services if you ever stop buying, all your old stuff stays around.

That's how I treat Steam. I don't try to buy games X, Y, or Z. I just give in a few times a month and buy all the indie bundles and in return I always have something to play including some really amazing games.

I've spent about $1600 on Steam including external games purchased and added to steam. I have something like 600 or 650 games. That's 2.50 a game, or something like $300 a year for all the games I'd ever want to play.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Yeah, it can get ridiculous. I'm in a similar spot. From 2007~2012 I had a total of 4 games on Steam: King's Quest Collection (a gift), Sequence (got for free on gaf) and Portal + Portal 2 (bought Portal 2 day one, first one on a sale). Then in Februrary this year I built a gaming rig and started paying close attention to Steam. Between sales, giveaways, gifts and bundles, I got to 143 games in my library and a few more on Origin and Desura (I haven't even installed the latter yet). I'm not a compulsive buyer and those were all genuinely good deals of games I've been playing or plan to do so in the future.

def sim

Steam Support ‏@Steam_Support 5m

PSA: If you're getting the "failed to contact key server" with GTAIV (that's IV as in FOUR), we're working on getting more keys.

I might just be able to play the game I bought yesterday tonight, maybe.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Its a good thing to have so many games at such good value, but there's so much choice now. Too much! Its like that feeling you get after a big grocery shopping, not knowing what to make for dinner(or is that just me?). I've also never been one of the people with a 'backlog'. I have one now and its shadow is starting to loom....

I'll get one of the next-gen consoles a few years down the line. Not sure which yet. I'll wait it out and see whats good.

You know what's great about just starting a Steam collection? You can actually benefit from the huge catalog sales in the next Haloween/Winter/Summer sale.

You can buy all Valve games for like 50 USD when they discount their Valve Pack. Or all ID games for the same amount.

I can't, because I already have half of the games (or all of the games in Valve's case) and that would be stupid for me. But for you? That's the most value per dollar you'll ever get.

And then you'll complain forever that the next sale after the sale you bought everything on the store is not as exciting and you can't quite put your finger on why... (it's because you already bought everything).

The_Monk

Then don't see it as a Backlog fellow GAFfer. Sure I can relate but just take your time and have fun. Playing one game at a time with a mix of some another one with Multiplayer helped me so far. I've been cutting back on getting games on Day One and I'm also reducing on consoles and such. My plan is to be a PC, PS4 and Vita kind of guy. Each platform represent one kind of games I like and it won't take a lot of money investment (If you are wise) as well money and space (which are both a concern for me).

fantomena

The GTA V release is having an impact on Steam. GTA IV is climbing up on the best seller list and is right now on 28th.

Do most people here sell their cards or collect and trade for Badges and stuff?

I don't care about gathering cards and creating badges/whatever, I just sell every card which drops. :p

Jawmuncher

Do most people here sell their cards or collect and trade for Badges and stuff?

I'm fairly middle ground. If I like the game at least somewhat and the cards aren't ludicrously expensive than i'll make the badge. If the cards are worth more as a profit or the game sucks ass then i'll sell the cards.

Omega

Banned
I'll sell/trade cards for games I don't really care about, but I'll try to level up badges for games I like.

Seanspeed

Banned

EviLore said something a long time ago that I sort of agree with. It makes the most sense to treat Steam as a subscription service like Netflix. Every month you buy a couple of games for dirt cheap, pick up a few keys for free, buy a few indie bundles. The net result is $10-15 a month. A few sales a year, you pump in another $50. That gets you 100+ games a year. After a few initial sales where you need to catch up and build your library, that's the only investment you need. In return, you get every game you'd ever want to play--in exchange for maybe waiting a few months for a few of them. And the best part is, unlike other subscription services if you ever stop buying, all your old stuff stays around.

That's how I treat Steam. I don't try to buy games X, Y, or Z. I just give in a few times a month and buy all the indie bundles and in return I always have something to play including some really amazing games.

I've spent about $1600 on Steam including external games purchased and added to steam. I have something like 600 or 650 games. That's 2.50 a game, or something like $300 a year for all the games I'd ever want to play.
That's a good way of seeing it.

I'm just usually not a 'play a bunch of different games' sort of person, though. I tend to focus on select games I really want and then I have my go-to games, usually meaning a multiplayer shooter, multiplayer racer and choice RPG of the moment. Its going to take a bit of adapting to always having this diverse collection available at my fingertips.

I do think it'll be great in the end, opening me up to lots of games I might have otherwise skipped on due to budget restrictions. I'm not trying to complain or anything here! Its just such a different world. Everything is so pretty....

Then don't see it as a Backlog fellow GAFfer. Sure I can relate but just take your time and have fun. Playing one game at a time with a mix of some another one with Multiplayer helped me so far. I've been cutting back on getting games on Day One and I'm also reducing on consoles and such. My plan is to be a PC, PS4 and Vita kind of guy. Each platform represent one kind of games I like and it won't take a lot of money investment (If you are wise) as well money and space (which are both a concern for me).
Definitely have to train myself to focus on certain games.

AsylumX

Oh, I know. It's happened to me before but it's still weird. I sell practically every card I get. I've gotten more than a couple games for free already. Almost ready for La Mulana.

You sell them?? I love collecting things... I m a virtual hoarder.

I sell dota2 stuff... to buy more cards.

chronomac

You sell them?? I love collecting things... I m a virtual hoarder.

I sell dota2 stuff... to buy more cards.

I'll take free games over a badge almost any day. I collected a few badges at first, like FTL and Half-Life 2, but then I realized I was happier getting games like Fortix 2, Super Splatters, Bleed, Anodyne, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Wizorb, Torchlight II and Fez, among others. Different strokes for different folks.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I sell cards just to get rid of them ass quickly as possible. I neither have time nor patience for trading, badge making, or waiting for optimal prices when in the end it's just such small amounts. I have real life issues that will do more for me if I want to spend such time judging values and earning a profit. So I only get six pence or ten cents here or there between my accounts with each card, but that's enough to get that SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed DLC recently or take care of any taxes.

Now to spend a few hours playing games instead of working.

AsylumX

I'll take free games over a badge almost any day. I collected a few badges at first, like FTL and Half-Life 2, but then I realized I was happier getting games like Fortix 2, Super Splatters, Bleed, Anodyne, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Wizorb, Torchlight II and Fez, among others. Different strokes for different folks.

To be 100% honest... At first I chose to sell them, but I could never press that damm button. I can't let them go away.

Vecks

I'm only over 300 games, but it's like perfect now, especially with steam card trading. I'll snatch the occasional bundle that has games I want, sell the cards/boosters(for almost the value of the bundle), and just save all that card money for the next big holiday steam sale because, honestly, I still have like 20 games in my backlog that I'm dying to play but just don't have the time to get through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom