• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

sk2fEt1.png

TF2 keys at $2.35 ;_:

Expect this to become a regular thing.

EviLore said something a long time ago that I sort of agree with. It makes the most sense to treat Steam as a subscription service like Netflix. Every month you buy a couple of games for dirt cheap, pick up a few keys for free, buy a few indie bundles. The net result is $10-15 a month. A few sales a year, you pump in another $50. That gets you 100+ games a year. After a few initial sales where you need to catch up and build your library, that's the only investment you need. In return, you get every game you'd ever want to play--in exchange for maybe waiting a few months for a few of them. And the best part is, unlike other subscription services if you ever stop buying, all your old stuff stays around.

That's how I treat Steam. I don't try to buy games X, Y, or Z. I just give in a few times a month and buy all the indie bundles and in return I always have something to play including some really amazing games.

I've spent about $1600 on Steam including external games purchased and added to steam. I have something like 600 or 650 games. That's 2.50 a game, or something like $300 a year for all the games I'd ever want to play.

Pretty much the same thing that I was saying in the last Steam thread. Also gets you to broaden your gaming horizons more by trying new genres.

chronomac

Pretty much the same thing that I was saying in the last Steam thread. Also gets you to broaden your gaming horizons more by trying new genres.

Exactly. This is the main reason why very soon I'm going to build a budget ($500) PC instead of buying a PS4 or Xbox One. My Steam library now has 228 games from a ton of different genres. I have 0 games for the other systems. Why spend all that money and then spend a bunch more? The graphic fidelity of my games might not match up but I'm saving a ton on media.

Looking forward to seeing what we get for extra games in the Humble Bundle tomorrow, they pretty much always deliver. Looking at that leaked Bunle with the Testament of Sherlock Holmes I can definitely recommend it. Really nice game.

Also had an avatar change for only the second time in my Neogaf history.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm working on a new feature of Enhanced Steam that I think will be useful, but maybe others can chime in to let me know if they'd find this useful:

560Z1tP.png

Basically, if someone on your friends list unlocks an achievement in a game you own, ES will place a "(Compare)" link next to those achievements. Clicking this link will let you compare your achievements to your friend's achievements.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
So I'm working on a new feature of Enhanced Steam that I think will be useful, but maybe others can chime in to let me know if they'd find this useful:

560Z1tP.png

Basically, if someone on your friends list unlocks an achievement in a game you own, ES will place a "(Compare)" link next to those achievements. Clicking this link will let you compare your achievements to your friend's achievements.

I don't really look at steam achivements much but this is a pretty neat feature.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Gunpoint for $5, yay or nay?

Yay. You more than get your money's worth with the first play through, and then you can try again for the different ending. A third time if you want to try out the fun "world's biggest bumbling fool" play through where you try as hard you can to get almost noticed and leave no glass unbroken.

chronomac

I mentioned earlier that I want to build a budget system. Do any one you find and kind GAFers have any leftover hardware you'd be willing to part with? I'd pay you, of course. I'd just like to save money where I can.

Turfster

I mentioned earlier that I want to build a budget system. Do any one you find and kind GAFers have any leftover hardware you'd be willing to part with? I'd pay you, of course. I'd just like to save money where I can.
You might want to mention on which continent you are.
If you're on the other side of the world from me, you'd probably be able to find cheaper than just the shipping cost ;)

Wok

The seamless alt-tab was the best feature of Dota 2. After the last Dota 2 update, when I alt-tab, the screen is frozen, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and cancel it to the see the desktop. Such a big regression for a released game.

Purkake4

Banned
You might want to mention on which continent you are.
If you're on the other side of the world from me, you'd probably be able to find cheaper than just the shipping cost ;)
Pretty sure there's also some restrictions on US exports of CPUs to certain places.

The seamless alt-tab was the best feature of Dota 2. After the last Dota 2 update, when I alt-tab, the screen is frozen, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and cancel it to the see the desktop. Such a big regression for a released game.

Are you in borderless windowed?

560Z1tP.png

The only thing I care about achievements for.

560Z1tP.png

Same opinion as Stump, compare achievements could be cool but not a fan of the green text.

Just bought some DLC from the Gamefly sale, have to call them to verify my card. Yay, grats on losing a potential customer. If they could have told me that would happen I would have used paypal instead.

Blargh, can't just every site be easy. I don't want to be called from US/UK, can't be bothered and it's sure to be at some crazy hour or when the kids are asleep :/

*edit*

Now that I think about it I really don't want to use paypal either.

I've heard there are certain people that always try to artificially increase the price.

It's possible but I don't think the margins are high enough to be able to do that and still end up in profit. Especially since the key market outside Steam is still completely unaffected by the price increase.

Anyway I'm glad I stocked up on keys for the rest of the year before this happened.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Just bought some DLC from the Gamefly sale, have to call them to verify my card. Yay, grats on losing a potential customer. If they could have told me that would happen I would have used paypal instead.

Blargh, can't just every site be easy. I don't want to be called from US/UK, can't be bothered and it's sure to be at some crazy hour or when the kids are asleep :/

*edit*

Now that I think about it I really don't want to use paypal either.

Gamefly sales dlc? Never knew

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
(Compare) yes, green text no

Same opinion as Stump, compare achievements could be cool but not a fan of the green text.

Ah okay thanks. The green text is not new, but I might add an option to disable highlighting here. It does the same highlighting for when someone buys games (so you can see if you own a game one of your friends just bought) or when a friend adds a game to their wishlist.

For example:

Jawmuncher

Ah okay thanks. The green text is not new, but I might add an option to disable highlighting here. It does the same highlighting for when someone buys games (so you can see if you own a game one of your friends just bought) or when a friend adds a game to their wishlist.

For example:

Is it perhaps possible to keep the highlighting but instead just changing the font color for those items to the corresponding colors?

jshackles

Is it perhaps possible to keep the highlighting but instead just changing the font color for those items to the corresponding colors?

Hmm good idea. Let me see what that looks like.

Ledsen

I'm sold!

It was nice read, thanks for posting this fellow GAFfer, guess I'll need to try that game soon since it's been in my Library for some time.

That looks... cool, I might take a look at it. Was it on a bundle?

Really glad I turned some more people on to Nimbus! It's really a great game.

And the winner is Ledsen! Add me on Steam so I can gift you the game.

You, Mr. Orange... are a great person!

sapsari

560Z1tP.png

Achievement icons may have borders or underlines with various colors to indicate that he achieved a rare one or he achieved a one that I haven't etc etc.

Or maybe green/blue underlines instead of changing text color.

jshackles

Easier on the eyes?

T5VCo4Z.png

Kifimbo

Just realized a mod put the calendar together in the first page. Thanks a lot.

Also grateful to everyone helping me, especially those posting news link with release dates. I'm not thanking you enough.

jshackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom