• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm kinda shocked by those specs as well considering it won't even be able to play most of the games natively with the OS it ships with... I thought it was centered around being a streaming machine?

It's interesting Valve would make it that beefy, sort of just a pre-built, by Valve now. Guess they are expecting you to install Windows on it?

garath

Those specs made me want to join the pool for a prototype. Just need to launch a game via big picture mode when I get home. :)

Grief.exe

ACIV store page just updated on the registry

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/

Added exfgls – 1
Added controller_support – none

To be expected, but Uplay confirmed. No controller support?

03b7d5de493d679f1ae49478e054f4969b1778ec.ico

Grief.exe

Check my edit, no controller support.

Whats worse: Uplay or the always online drm?

The differences are subtle, you have to be online and the Uplay servers active to even access your games on Uplay. At least if you drop connection while you are playing the game won't exit.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
mad? You got a free computer while 99.997 percent of people didnt!

For me, it would be pointless and make me feel selfish when someone else would be getting a free upgrade. My PC is already better than that and hooked up to my living room TV, so unless it had some cool tricks up its sleeve it would largely go unused. It's like having a car giveaway and handing out a few Porsches, a handful of Corvettes, and some 1999 Honda Civics. A free car is a free car, but I'd rather someone with a Pinto get the Civic instead of someone with a better ride.

If that makes any sense. I'm tired and don't really know jackshit about cars.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spent about 10 hours playing Final Fantasy VII yesterday and last night. SUCH a great game. Today, cloud saving is broken (presumably because of the sale = high number of new users) and takes like 2 minutes to time out.

I want to keep playing but there's no way in hell I'm going to sit and wait two minutes for their server to time out every time I want to save.

Does anyone know if the timeout period can be adjusted?

rtcn63

On the .00000001% off-chance that I get into the beta, might I have to drain the bank account for an HDTV or monitor. (15+ year old mono SDTV and VGA CRT)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But can it run Crysis?

Not Crysis 3 (it's not on Steam).

Although streaming seems like a great way to bridge the gap for non-Linux ported titles, I doubt very much it will work for non-Steam games.

Addnan

Not Crysis 3 (it's not on Steam).

Although streaming seems like a great way to bridge the gap for non-Linux ported titles, I doubt very much it will work for non-Steam games.

There probably won't be anything stopping you from installing Windows on those machines and using Origin for their games.

Dr Dogg

Just seen the surge of Steam Box Spec threads and glad I didn't pull the trigger on some updates the other month. Yeah in that oh so slight chance Gary is going to grace me with one.

Although...

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

I know newer Nvidia cards and Haswell CPUs are really energy efficient but there would be no way I'd put a 450 watt PSU in my box if I was spending that much on components, Gold or Platinum rated or not. Old habits die hard I guess.

Addnan

Just seen the surge of Steam Box Spec threads and glad I didn't pull the trigger on some updates the other month. Yeah in that oh so slight chance Gary is going to grace me with one.

Although...

I know newer Nvidia cards and Haswell CPUs are really energy efficient but there would be no way I'd put a 450 watt PSU in my box if I was spending that much on components, Gold or Platinum rated or not. Old habits die hard I guess.

A 450W high end PSU can power pretty much any single card with an Intel CPU as long as you are not pushing overclocks.

So those Steam Boxes sound a great deal more expensive than I originally anticipated. I think the streaming option using my existing desktop may end up being the best bet, pending latency and network coding.

Dr Dogg

A 450W high end PSU can power pretty much any single card with an Intel CPU as long as you are not pushing overclocks.

Yeah I had a nasty 'accident' about 7 years back where my PSU went POOF! Left a nasty brown/black mark on the wall behind that took about 8 coats of paint to cover up and took half my system with it.

So I'm an over cautious fellow these days. Saying that the likes of Antec and Corsair are usually quite modest with their ratings and will usually go higher than what they're rated at.

I just kicked
the Joker's
arse in Arkham Asylum so can now get on with a different game. Thank God for that! I can't say I understand why it is such a well regarded game. The game has so many clear issues for me and I shall not remember it fondly. Still, at least it's not at Other M levels i.e. revulsion, so there is that I guess. It had a [very] few high points, lots of low points but mostly a huge load of meh. I don't know if it was but it struck me as a game that was focus tested to buggery and back and that led to a profoundly bland and, frankly, pretty boring game :/.

Grief.exe

of course it has controller support

I figured, just thought I would put it out there.

Thought the same thing when I read it.

Yeah I have been watching the registry and it looks like they are working on some stuff that would point to it supporting controllers. Probably in QA.

I see we are back to our old pass aggressive bullshit.

Non-Steam related, but is Enslaved worth playing?

Steam Registry App has seen significant updates over the last couple months.

Grief.exe

Some Ubisoft games are still missing the exfgls tag from the registry, excluding them from the family share service.

Someone should test Splinter Cell Blacklist and see if it will work, or if it is just an oversight.

Turfster

Thank God for that! I can't say I understand why it is such a well regarded game.

It was the first kinda modern Batman game that didn't stink.
It had a nicely worked out base combat system, and included stealth elements.
It was full of nice nods and winks to the greater universe, which is always great for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom