• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbours from Hell is getting tons of greenlight votes thanks to humblebundle, got me thinking if majority of greenlight votes are actually "Hey I got this game in a bundle, I vote so I can get steam key" and not actually going through games and voting based on quality. And yeah, I'm part of the problem..

Anyway, X-COM Complete Pack get. For 3,74€ (yes I'm euro) it's definetly a great bang for your buck for five games from a great series. Admittedly though I haven't gotten the playing part yet so I can't say if there are any problems running these games on modern hardware or not.

Oh yeah and if someone is thinking what games to grab from groupees build a bundle - Frogatto and Friends is a gem there. Desura + greenlight. Definetly worth getting that bundle whatever games you pick because it got 7 bonus items too of which I think two are games. I just wish I had found groupees earlier on as I enjoy games and music and groupees delivers.

It's pretty disappointing to start up Steam and see you have two new items in your inventory and they're both coupons for games you don't plan to buy.

frogg609

In the vein of giving away coupons I have these:

10% off Shadow Warrior (x 2)
66% off Awesomenauts (x 2)
33% off Foul Play (x 2)

Send me a message if you'd like one, and i'll hook you up. One per customer.

Altazor

The LTTP Dark Souls' Adventure of Copons - S01E05

Ok so there is this knight in the Darkroot Basin. I go full throttle and then full nope. I lure him upon a wide area but then I miss a step and fall off the ledge. He follows me, the dumb fuck. Hell yeah! Knight down, loot and souls dropped, ooooh yes.
Then I go back to retrieve all my stuff back, but I run too fast and fall off the ledge again. Lost something like 15K souls and 3 humanities. How I love this game FFS.

Then I decide to say screw the woods because I'm scared of them and go back finding my way to the Depths. Don't know why they call 'em Dephts, they're fucking sewers, just call 'em Sewers already.
There is this rat just outside the bonfire room, hidden in a box. He gets me every single fucking time I come out of the bonfire room. Fuck him. And my short term memory too.

So, yeah, I'm at this point where I can choose between two foggy doors. One is supposed to bring me against the huge rat, the other is deeper in the Depths, down a brick wall, probably opening to a huge area filled with toxic sludge or something.
I don't know where I'm going to be brutally killed next so I'm calling it a day.
Probably going against the rat first, tho, cause it feels somewhat more safer than running around in a 40 square km room with apparently nothing inside.

Luv you all, good night. <3

I'm gonna say this: FUCKING. BASILISKS.

And now I'm gonna explain it a bit but I'll spoiler it just in case.
So there was me going through the Depths for the first time when I decide to explore a bit. Walking through a small archway, it now looks I'm in the middle of a maze. Great. So I'm turning this corner and I see a rat not too far away from me... so I move in for the kill, carefully... and BAM, I fall. WHAT THE FUCK DUDE, IT WAS A TRAP?! So I'm falling, taking a bit of damage and my hands are sweaty because I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE FUCK I AM. So in the distance I see this big-eyed lizard thingie and it notices me too. And it runs towards me and spits some fucking fog and BAM, I'm pretty much killed in one second. Thousands of souls lost because IN NO WAY I'M GOING BACK THERE TO MY BLOODSTAIN AND RISK ANOTHER INSANELY FAST KILL.

And then when I respawn all the way back in Undead Burg (!) I realize I was CURSED and my HP is cut in half. Fuck this shit. Thankfully, I had this item from that guy up in the bell tower (Carim?) so it wasn't a big deal. But, fuck, going through the Depths was one of the most stressful and tense situations of my recent gaming life. I was fucking terrified of those Basilisks and their curse fog. But i had the halberd with me so I kinda took them down from mid-range without risking myself too much. Not even Blighttown and those Blowdart Sniper guys were as terrifying for me.

Anyway, fuck basilisks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm pretty close to the end of Tomb Raider. I looked at a guide for the last 2 collectibles, and I'm glad I did. Their location is bullshit, and I would never have found them on my own.

Really good game. Totally worth the $12 and change I paid for it. Thanks to everyone who told me to grab it, you were right!

Eh. It's not bad, but it has one of the most annoying and "fuck you player" QTE ever.
(Well, it's not exactly a QTE I guess, but
fuck that star destroyer pulldown
)
Had to check a guide at that part. Turns out I was doing the right thing, but I kept dying anyway. Eventually I managed to beat it, but it left a sour taste after the good fun that was the rest of the game.

Copons

This is great. I can't wait to hear about that second fog door.

Yeah after your "believe" the other time, when I found the two gargoyles sptting fire and burning my framerate, now I totally gonna stand in front of that door for a couple of hours before hitting A. :(

That sounds like one bad rat, bro.

Love the storytime, man. Keep the updates coming!

Yay thanks! I always wonder why people should care about my rants about a super old game, but then I play it and when I quit I'm in full adrenaline and so screw the people, I'm totally gonna vent on GAF. :D
Of course, if someone is annoyed by my stories (or they think I should put them in spoiler
even if I think that writing "Dark Souls adventures" on top of the post should make clear what the content of the post will be :D
) just tell me please! ^^

Uh really?
I did the same path of you (
basically falling in the drain
) and was even suprisemotherfucked by one of the as soon as I landed, He gave me a half full timed status ailment (that purple progress bar), but nothing more.
But then, they were so weak I oneshotted every one of them without sweat (me too with a halberd! <3 ).

And then you learn that the depths are
optional
:p

And then I go to this friend of mine who suggested to go there and basically kill him already. Or not. I'm actually having fun. Probably until that second door Nabs is being smartass and all. :D

M*A*S*H

Yeah after your "believe" the other time, when I found the two gargoyles sptting fire and burning my framerate, now I totally gonna stand in front of that door for a couple of hours before hitting A. :(

I'm looking forward to the tale of your encounter with a certain doughy gentleman and his lithe accomplice. When you fly with Air Londo, the only thing you need pack is plenty of clean underwear >:D

Acccent

Bit late, but League of Legends is just one example of why this isn't really true.
Well, LoL is in the same situation as CoD and Battlefield: they were established, very successful franchises prior to Valve entered their field.

tumblr_li8mrlfGiy1qgv3uu.gif

whatever man. This conversation isn't about me anyway, I don't even know why you dragged me into it in the first place.

Anyway, this is the last thing I post about this, obviously by now everyone has said what they wanted to say and minds have changed as much as they will ever do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was down there a long time trying to learn the place and not die before finding a fire, yet in my desire to go places I hadn't, even took on
the mega rat boss
and survived without getting hurt much. Just before I activated a campfire I finally found, I found I was unable to, because my game was invaded by an insanely powerful person who took like 20 strikes from me and I was killed in two and lost everything, which was quite a lot since I had killed some bosses.

Despite this, I got over my displeasure with the mere notion of invasion, which I didn't know was linked to humanity, and thought might have some regulation on it to prevent people who had been playing or 500 hours from obliterating you, and I headed back. I couldn't remember where the campfire was since it was a new turn I took somewhere, but everywhere else was familiar. I knew how much things could hurt me so I didn't worry about those... because I didn't know they could curse you.

So then I was not only sent back at a loss of all my souls again, but I was cursed, and without any souls to get the thing I needed to remove it, which would be a huge process running around stupid easy places that I had already spent far too much time in, only to earn a proper chance to go back to this maze, now knowing I was risking both invasion and curses simply to reach the campfire for the simple purpose of nothing but exploration.

That is not fun, nor is it unfun simply because it is difficult. That is the game simply being designed to interrupt and utterly ruin any trace of any small ambition or desire you could possibly have to find enjoyment in any facet of its being except the process of dying. That is the game literally saying no, you don't get to experience me. You get this one area and if you try anything else, fuck you.

I didn't have to win. I didn't have to survive. I didn't have to collect a lot of souls. I didn't have to kill anything in particular or be good at fighting. I only wanted to be able to experience and know a single compellingly mysterious area without my ignorance being maliciously exploited and overpowered in the extreme to jettison me a hundred miles away and hinder every single capacity I had to even begin returning to the effort.

Never in my life have I had a game not only foil my efforts, but try in every way it could in design and even enlisting human agency to stop me from even beginning the effort again. There is no "learn and overcome" there, only "risk and maybe not get fucked again" so it was a clear message that the game didn't want to be played, and so I have not since.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, LoL is in the same situation as CoD and Battlefield: they were established, very successful franchises prior to Valve entered their field.

Counter-Strike released at retail in 2000 whereas BF1942 and the original CoD hit shelves in 2002 and 2003 respectively.

^The brilliance of Dark Souls is that you think that you have lost hours and hours of gameplay after getting killed by an invader, but in reality the maze like levels and large areas that are interconnected everywhere; thus you can quickly return to the place you were killed at with an added bonus of actually getting better at fighting AND having more items, flasks and souls. I think the only long run is from Sen's to Seath boss fight and that is only long because the walk down there is rather long (for a good reason).

You don't have to get invaded (like you said, you didn't know that humanity is linked to the invasions, which is explained at the same point where you meet SunBro in the first place. Then again, you can stay human, call in some bro's to help you out and gain tons of experience and souls. Or get the glorious feeling of pushing a ganker to a long fall and getting death threaths on IM. PC Dark Souls does have the connection and cheater problems, so yeah, the online aspect was much better before even if the covenants were a bit wack.

Everyone gets cursed once in a while, but after you overcome that, you have basically doubled your HP. How's that for a reward?

Xanathus

Givin away coupons: (edited out steam ID, pm me with your steam ID if you want a coupon)

1x -10% Shadow Warrior
2x -33% Foul Play
1x -25% Volgarr the Viking
1x -33% Zeno Clash 2

Clawww

I'm surprised basilisks/Depths would be someone's breaking point.

Oh well, don't beat yourself up for not digging the game.

Acccent

Counter-Strike released at retail in 2000 whereas BF1942 and the original CoD hit shelves in 2002 and 2003 respectively.

CS was released on consoles in 2003. (on PC, as someone said earlier - I think it was you actually? - CoD and BF are stomped by Valve FPSs.)

Sentenza

I'm not really sure how people can be *actually* cursed by basilisks in Dark Souls. Especially once they know what they should expect.
You need to essentially sleep on your feet to let them fully fill the "curse bar", and gas aside they are as harmless as kittens.

Clawww

I'm not really sure how people can be *actually* cursed by basilisks in Dark Souls.
You need to essentially sleep on your feet to let them fully fill the "curse bar", and gas aside they are as harmless as kittens.

Yea...unless you heedlessy ran into the thick of them (you should know better), but even then, they aren't very aggressive and don't really lock you in hitsun like other enemies.

JaseC

CS was released on consoles in 2003. (on PC, as someone said earlier - I think it was you actually? - CoD and BF are stomped by Valve FPSs.)

Ah, I wasn't aware that you were referring to consoles. And yeah, I've said that once or twice. ;)

I'm not really sure how people can be *actually* cursed by basilisks in Dark Souls. Especially once they know what they should expect.

Well, if you are geared badly and on low soul level and happen to fall into a trap with basilisks blocking the way it's entirely possible.

Gregorn

In the original console release the curse would stack and was much faster, so if you got cursed again you'd have 1/4 of your overall health. The later patched that out, making it much easier.

You can get to the boss of the depths without even seeing a basilisk, just look around, you'll probably find the way.

CS beta was actually playable in 1999. First without a steam account, later only with the steam beta account and finally a steam account was mandatory to play the CS beta. It had great mechanics. like the bunny hop, running speed depending on weapon in hand, less accuracy when hit in arms, less speed when hit in legs, view shake when hit in head, and so on.
To bad they nerfed is all in later patches, CS 1.2 and 1.3 as I remember correctly. FPS should not be played on consoles. With autoaim there are no skills needed.

Acccent

CS beta was actually playable in 1999. First without a steam account, later only with the steam beta account and finally a steam account was mandatory to play the CS beta. It had great mechanics. like the bunny hop, running speed depending on weapon in hand, less accuracy when hit in arms, less speed when hit in legs, view shake when hit in head, and so on.
To bad they nerfed is all in later patches, CS 1.2 and 1.3 as I remember correctly. FPS should not be played on consoles. With autoaim there are no skills needed.

on Xbox? haha that's awesome

JaseC

The values may have changed between versions (I didn't start playing until 1.5) but the concept remained intact.

Sentenza

In the original console release the curse would stack and was much faster, so if you got cursed again you'd have 1/4 of your overall health. The later patched that out, making it much easier.
Yeah, maybe, I didn't play that part back then.
Then again, I'm mildly confident that people complaining about them right now and on this thread weren't referring to the original console release.

Also, while it's entirely possible, I wouldn't really advise to skip that part of The Depths just to avoid a strikingly weak enemy.

Accoun

Neighbours from Hell is getting tons of greenlight votes thanks to humblebundle

Well, in that particular case, I don't really have anything against. Got retail copies a few years ago and liked it. ;-) Obviously, probably hardly anyone heard of it back then, and maybe some people would actually play it when it comes out on Steam.
Didn't knew it was in a bundle, though.

on Xbox? haha that's awesome
Xbox did not exist back then, it was not invented. You do the math. Ppl played games long before the xbox was on the market you know.

Is that even possible you think? Ermm jea kind off.

The values may have changed between versions (I didn't start playing until 1.5) but the concept remained intact.

Yes, it is still a playable game. The best HL mod there is imho. Have not played in ages tho.

Yeah, maybe, I didn't play that part back then.
Then again, I'm mildly confident that people complaining about them right now and on this thread weren't referring to the original console release.

Also, while it's entirely possible, I wouldn't really advise to skip that part of The Depths just to avoid a strikingly weak enemy.

Single hand wielding a bow takes care of them pretty easily with lock on.

Dr Dogg

Well there is also the small fact that CS started life as a mod and was designed first and foremost to be competitive where as the others have always been commercial products and making money was their top priority. Saying that I knew loads of people that went out and bought Half-Life just to play CS. Ah the painful but pleasing days of WON.

Also way off-topic but you've been haunting me every bloody day again with Suarez's latest flick How I Live Now being plastered all over buses and billboards around town. God knows what it's about but she's looking all sullen and Avril Lavigne-y.

derExperte

After 1 one hour of Foul Play with a buddy I'm glad I bit. It could get reptitve later on fighting wave after wave of the same enemies but that happens in most of these games and the theater setting is just lovely with a lot of small gags und funny dialogues.

After 9 hours of PixelJunk Monsters: That game is hard as nails when trying to go for rainbows (which is kinda necessary). Even the easy levels have some mean enemy waves that can ruin everything right before the end. And online-coop only saves progress for the host, which is bullshit.

Oh aaaand I completed Electronic Super Joy (well, one star missing to unluck the last world but that's more of a bonus). I thought I would have more trouble but the checkpoints are fair most of the time. Still died a lot but it's manageable.

After 9 hours of PixelJunk Monsters: That game is hard as nails when trying to got for rainbows (which is kinda necessary). Even the easy levels have some mean enemy waves that can ruin everything right before the end. And online-coop only saves progress for the host, which is bullshit.

Way back when I managed to get every rainbow on the PS3 version playing by myself. I don't know how many hours it took...but it was a lot.

Fast forward to today and I played about two hours of it with my five year old daughter. I'd tell her where to place some towers and then she would dance away whilst I took care of the rest.

I love videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom