• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone is planning on buying Knock-Knock! Ice-Pick Lodge are one of the best studios working and for the price I doubt you can go wrong. Currently working on the OT although don't expect wonders given I wasn't ready as I didn't think it was coming out for quite a while. Damn ninja releases :D

I've been meaning to upgrade to a 1080p computer monitor. Right now I play my games on a Full HD TV, but I'm starting to wonder if playing on a computer monitor I can effectively use in a dualscreen setup without fearing for burn-in isn't a better idea.

So many options but I recommend a PC monitor, mostly because of latency. I've also been eyeing an ASUS that I can pivot but it's expensive :/

So many options but I recommend a PC monitor, mostly because of latency. I've also been eyeing an ASUS that I can pivot but it's expensive :/

Yeah, price is, as always, the biggest point for me. :/ I've seen some good ones for relatively cheap, though, so I'll probably pick one up during the coming weeks.

kulapik

OK, so, I bought a second hand copy of Prey and it's got a Steam-valid activation key. I understand the game isn't available on Steam anymore and I already have it on there, so what's the best thing to do with it?

...why would you buy it again if you already have it? Also, if it activates on Steam, it will probably be useless.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been meaning to upgrade to a 1080p computer monitor. Right now I play my games on a Full HD TV, but I'm starting to wonder if playing on a computer monitor I can effectively use in a dualscreen setup without fearing for burn-in isn't a better idea.

Do the right thing and buy a 1200p 24inch monitor. The extra vertical space provided by the 16:10 aspect ratio is pretty good. I'd recommend a 60hz IPS monitor. Sure, 120hz is better, but there's no IPS monitor that has a refresh rate higher than 60hz. T-N is for chumps, also who cares about 3D. Also, a 60hz monitor means you only have to output at 60fps.

Under those specs, the one I like the most is the Dell Ultra Sharp U2412M. It has a nice warranty and one of the best dead pixel protection programs (if I'm not mistaken). $270 on Amazon. Not surprisingly, The Wirecutter recommends it as well on the "good 24 inch monitor" list. It's a nice read and compares it to other monitors.

If you really want to go balls out crazy and don't really care about multiple resolution support, fancy "modes" that you will never touch, multiple inputs to connect everything on your house, which you will never do, and crap like that, there's always the Hong Kong Panel from Monoprice route. They have a great warranty and it's a much safer bet than importing one from Hong Kong directly. The only real downside is that you'll have to output games at 2560x1440 (and that it's a 16:9 screen.. :D).

I'd stick with 1920x1200 24inch monitors for now. Mostly because you can buy mid-tier videocards and have a kickass experience.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Today's my birthday, and I woke up and saw I had 6 steam notifications. I thought to myself "Sweet!" thinking maybe some of my friends/family gifted me games.

5 coupons for Foul Play, 1 for Volgarr the Viking.

hopes_deleted_futurama.gif

Do the right thing and buy a 1200p 24inch monitor. The extra vertical space provided by the 16:10 aspect ratio is pretty good. I'd recommend a 60hz IPS monitor. Sure, 120hz is better, but there's no IPS monitor that has a refresh rate higher than 60hz. T-N is for chumps, also who cares about 3D.

Under those specs, the one I like the most is the Dell Ultra Sharp U2412M. It has a nice warranty and one of the best dead pixel protection programs (if I'm not mistaken). $270 on Amazon. Not surprisingly, The Wirecutter recommends it as well on the "good 24 inch monitor" list. It's a nice read and compares it to other monitors.

If you really want to go balls out crazy and don't really care about multiple resolution support, fancy "modes" that you will never touch, multiple inputs to connect everything on your house, which you will never do, and crap like that, there's always the Hong Kong Panel from Monoprice route. They have a great warranty and it's a much safer bet than importing one from Hong Kong directly. The only real downside is that you'll have to output games at 2560x1440 (and that it's a 16:9 screen.. :D).

I'd stick with 1920x1200 24inch monitors for now. Mostly because you can buy mid-tier videocards and have a kickass experience.

I definitely want to buy a screen like that, but as a college student that's already a bit out of my price range. Coming from an Xbox background, I'm perfectly happy outputting my games at 1080p if it means I can keep the cost down.

Posted a Knock-Knock OT, suggestions and insults as needed. Game's release came very suddenly so I didn't have anything ready and I posted early so the presentation isn't quite as nice as I would have hoped. In any case, really hope everyone gives the game a buy. Ice-Pick Lodge are some of the best developers in the business and they really deserve the support.

Derrick01

Banned
Today's my birthday, and I woke up and saw I had 6 steam notifications. I thought to myself "Sweet!" thinking maybe some of my friends/family gifted me games.

Yeah I wish they would stop flooding my inventory with coupons for trash games I'll never even think of buying. I don't even know how I'm qualifying for any of these.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah I wish they would stop flooding my inventory with coupons for trash games I'll never even think of buying. I don't even know how I'm qualifying for any of these.

I never understood why they would give you MULTIPLE coupons for the same game. Are they telling me to buy games for my friends or something?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I never understood why they would give you MULTIPLE coupons for the same game. Are they telling me to buy games for my friends or something?

The worst part is that you can't delete them. The only real option is something like Trashbot.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I definitely want to buy a screen like that, but as a college student that's already a bit out of my price range. Coming from an Xbox background, I'm perfectly happy outputting my games at 1080p if it means I can keep the cost down.

The extra 120 pixels are not really for gaming. In fact, some games will only render 1080p and fill those extra 60 pixels on top and bottom with a black bar. Yay for console ports :(

It's mostly for browsing and day-to-day use. It really makes a difference.

270 for that dell monitor is not that expensive, if you start to do some research. 24inch 1080p monitors are usually 150-200 dollars. I do understand your point, but you should keep an eye out for deals (like the one on Amazon, it was 300 dollars last week).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I got a couple of those Foul Play discounts too. Do you think the devs have paid Valve to give everyone a voucher?

If Valve gives away keys that redeem the game on Steam for developers of said games for free to do as they please (sell them on their own digital store or give them away for free) why would they charge any amount of money for a discount coupon that can only be used on a sale on Steam, which means Valve would get a cut out of each purchase made using the coupon?

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag Gold Edition for $80 seems tempting, I've never got into the AC series but I like pirates. Also, the $20 extra dollars worth of content seems okay although I know I won't play multiplayer. The price for the ROW version is around $60+, I think, so not that much savings.

Let's see what Ubi does with Watchdogs, I'm already prepared to pay 60 for South Park.

Cheddahz

Banned
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag Gold Edition for $80 seems tempting, I've never got into the AC series but I like pirates. Also, the $20 extra dollars worth of content seems okay although I know I won't play multiplayer. The price for the ROW version is around $60+, I think, so not that much savings.

Let's see what Ubi does with Watchdogs, I'm already prepared to pay 60 for South Park.

If it plays like AC3, I wouldn't recommend it at full price. I got the game for free through a glitch and I couldn't get far in it

Clawww

The extra 120 pixels are not really for gaming. In fact, some games will only render 1080p and fill those extra 60 pixels on top and bottom with a black bar. Yay for console ports :(

It's mostly for browsing and day-to-day use. It really makes a difference.

270 for that dell monitor is not that expensive, if you start to do some research. 24inch 1080p monitors are usually 150-200 dollars. I do understand your point, but you should keep an eye out for deals (like the one on Amazon, it was 300 dollars last week).

got my monitor (asus vh242) on craigslist for $60, best CL pickup ever

The_Monk

Today's my birthday.

Happy birthday fellow GAFfer, hope you are having a great day with the ones you love. May you count many more years and I hope your work with Steam's Community can keep on improving like it always has been so far.

Also, is someone getting Knock Knock? This game appeared as a nice surprise, from a kind someone. There's a OT already and I posted a very small impression, if anyone have questions I may try to answer but either way I hope someone check the game out. Here's my post if someone is curious:

I'm playing right now fellow GAFfer, but I just started.

I really like the art style. The colors from the character gives me a little peace of mind when everything else is dark and creepy. The game can go from being relaxing to scary at any second. If you have some decent audio setup (nothing fancy, but a subwoofer will add a lot to the experience, even better if it's near your feet) and you turn it up when someone knocks on door your heart will drop too.

In some sort of way you play hide and seek. This reminds you when you were a child and even if there was nothing in the room it was your mind playing tricks on you. Because "if you don't see it, it's not real" it's okay if you are hiding and they can see you. You are still safe because you close your eyes (while shaking) and hope they can go away.

Light gives you comfort but something may turn them off when you leave to proceed to another room. I'll be sure to make further impressions as I advance more through the game.

Also you can adjust your settings and the resolution if you don't have a proper hardware so it's always good for those without a decent PC.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If Valve gives away keys that redeem the game on Steam for developers of said games for free to do as they please (sell them on their own digital store or give them away for free) why would they charge any amount of money for a discount coupon that can only be used on a sale on Steam, which means Valve would get a cut out of each purchase made using the coupon?
I figured because it gives exposure to the game and there's a lot of potential sales to be had. Even selling the keys on their own site at the discounted rate wouldn't get people to notice the game in the same way. I'm sure there's a lot of developers that'd like to have everyone receive a coupon for their game and I doubt Valve just randomly decides to do it. Maybe they do, I just wondered if it was a kind of marketing and whether Valve would charge for the privilege.

Cth

Happy birthday!

I had similar hopes dashed.. -33 off Foul Play, -25 off Volgarr.

Anyone want em?

RuinKaos

Happy birthday.

I keep thinking I have gotten a booster pack and it turns out to be a coupon. Get excited and its nothing.

Derrick01

Banned

I guess it's for friends. I mean it has to be right?

And happy birthday jshackles. I have no idea how I missed that detail in your post.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Happy birthday. :)

The RU sub isn't region-locked so I'll be picking up the DDE for $34 next week. Speaking of, as expected, it contains the "PlayStation-exclusive" Aveline DLC:

DLC Aveline A memorable and epic adventure composed of 3 Aveline's mission unveiling a strange new 1st civilization artifact…

Turfster

Daily: Half Life 2 75% off
2K Daily: Bioshock infinite 66% off (no DLC deals)
Bioshock & Bioshock 2 75% off, Minerva's Den 50% off

fantomena

I just want to give GAF user Lord British a public thank you for giving me a Steam code for Prey for free. Thank you so much! Have wanted that game a long time, last week I almost ordered it from Amazon UK, but the tax way too high so I waited for another opportunity.

And Prey is actually a game Im gonna play, probably after Castlevania: LoS when Im done with it.

Unsurprisingly, the BioInf DLC isn't discounted.

Yeah, Im dissapointed, probably because it wad discounted on GMG when they had a sale in BioInf.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Liberation HD will include the mission where you get to play as Connor too.

At this point it'd be weird if it didn't.

Also, what's the best way to get that kind of pricing again?

You can poke through Steam Trades or TF2 Outpost, but since most people desire payment in keys, the prices of which can be a bit fickle, I typically just go through this guy since he offers PayPal -- basically, add what you want, select your payment method, and generate a permalink to give to him. Thus far I've bought around half-a-dozen games without issue.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You can poke through Steam Trades or TF2 Outpost, but since most people desire payment in keys, the prices of which can be a bit fickle, I typically just go through this guy since he offers PayPal -- basically, add what you want, select your payment method, and generate a permalink to give to him. Thus far I've bought around half-a-dozen games without issue.
Oh damn that's hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom