• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

Xbox did not exist back then, it was not invented. You do the math. Ppl played games long before the xbox was on the market you know.

Is that even possible you think? Ermm jea kind off.

um... so, as we were saying, 1999 on PC and 2003 on consoles... is there something I'm missing?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also way off-topic but you've been haunting me every bloody day again with Suarez's latest flick How I Live Now being plastered all over buses and billboards around town. God knows what it's about but she's looking all sullen and Avril Lavigne-y.

I wish I had your problem. :p Even though the poster is terrible... probably worse than that of The Host, even.

um... so, as we were saying, 1999 on PC and 2003 on consoles... is there something I'm missing?
If you put it like that, I guess not. But what version do you preferre? the PC version, or the console version.

I myself do not like the console version. I just can not aim fast enough where I want to shoot with a joystick. KB/M all the way

JaseC

Not sure whether this has been discussed at all yet, seeing as it is a few weeks old, but reading the Kingdoms of Amalur thread reminded me of it, and it may be of interest here not only for Amalur, but also for the future of games like Rise of Nations on Steam:

Assets of 38 Studios being auctioned off in November.

Finally, something will come of this!

Edit: I wonder who'll snap up Amalur. Larian could do a sequel justice, I think, though I doubt it has the cash to splash. Depending on the price, maybe Nordic will expand its portfolio that little bit more.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't even know why people think Souls is hard to begin with. It just punishes the impatient.
You can be as patient as you like, but it'll still be difficult. Unless you're playing with a guide, there's just so much you're not going to know your first time through. And if you're playing with a guide, then you're ruining a lot of the fun.

Sentenza

Edit: I wonder who'll snap up Amalur. Larian could do a sequel justice, I think, though I doubt it has the cash to splash. Depending on the price, maybe Nordic will expand its portfolio that little bit more.
Frankly I'm not even sure what kind of appeal this IP could have.
It's not particularly good (subjectively I would actually paint it as terrible), it's not even successful and chances are it's going to be relatively pricey too, given how much they spent on it.

Acccent

If you put it like that, I guess not. But what version do you preferre? the PC version, or the console version.

I myself do not like the console version. I just can not aim fast enough where I want to shoot with a joystick. KB/M all the way

did you read the previous posts? we were only talking about how commercially successful the game was vs CoD or BF :)

anyway:
...I got over my displeasure with the mere notion of invasion, which I didn't know was linked to humanity...

...That is not fun, nor is it unfun simply because it is difficult. That is the game simply being designed to interrupt and utterly ruin any trace of any small ambition or desire you could possibly have to find enjoyment in any facet of its being except the process of dying. That is the game literally saying no, you don't get to experience me. You get this one area and if you try anything else, fuck you.

I didn't have to win. I didn't have to survive. I didn't have to collect a lot of souls. I didn't have to kill anything in particular or be good at fighting. I only wanted to be able to experience and know a single compellingly mysterious area without my ignorance being maliciously exploited and overpowered in the extreme to jettison me a hundred miles away and hinder every single capacity I had to even begin returning to the effort.
And that one security measure will be removed in Dark Souls 2 - people will be able to invade you anytime. I hope they get it right, because I think Dark Souls is amazing when it stands right on the line between severity and unfairness, without crossing it - that's how it feels most of the time, but yeah, in some rare instance it does feel unfair (
walking up the ledge while being sniped by Black Archers in Anor Londo comes to mind
.) Most of the time it feels like the game is punishing you so you can learn from your mistakes, like a harsh teacher that, deep down, cares for you and wants you to succeed; but at times, maybe because of a poorly designed section or maybe because of a combination of individual factors (you being invaded by a high-level player at precisely that point is not the game's fault), it does look like it only wants you to die at all costs as if it was holding some sort of petty grudge against you personally.

Sarcasm

You can be as patient as you like, but it'll still be difficult. Unless you're playing with a guide, there's just so much you're not going to know your first time through. And if you're playing with a guide, then you're ruining a lot of the fun.

My first playthrough I died to environment than I ever died to mobs.

Though that first BK owned me a few times. Than those OP arrows in londo.

But the environment deaths where some times hilarious....not paying attention and just roll off the cliff haha.

Copons

I'm looking forward to the tale of your encounter with a certain doughy gentleman and his lithe accomplice. When you fly with Air Londo, the only thing you need pack is plenty of clean underwear >:D

You're not the only one, my dear.
I'm telling the same story but in Italian (and more often because with him I don't give a damn) to a friend of mine who finished DS on PS3 years ago and is replaying it on PC right now so he knows everything about it and of course, when I bitched about the two gargoyles on top of the Parish, he referred to those guys I think, with those names that looks like a jewish law studio or something.
I believe that episode of LTTPDSAC will be a good one. :D

Wok

Never in my life have I had a game not only foil my efforts, but try in every way it could in design and even enlisting human agency to stop me from even beginning the effort again. There is no "learn and overcome" there, only "risk and maybe not get fucked again" so it was a clear message that the game didn't want to be played, and so I have not since.

I don't understand why the quick save/load feature is not directly built in the game. However, thanks to Durante's fix, we can have a similar feature based on:
  • frequent auto-save,
  • possibility to skip the intro videos,
so that one could just die, alt-tab, make sure the auto-save file is safe, quit the game, reload the auto-save file, and start just at the point he was a few minutes before he dies. It does make the game much more enjoyable.

Storm360

I used a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 version of Counter-Strike: GO

I assume the 360 version is the same?

I don't understand why the quick save/load feature is not built in the game. It makes the game much more enjoyable. Thanks to Durante, we have something similar though: auto-save really often, plus skip the intro videos, so that you could just reload the game before you died.

1337390011838.jpg

Copons

After the Steam Machine specs came out, I'm thinking of sending cute pics of my kitten to Gaben's personal email, once or twice a day. That should grant me a safe spot for the top tier one, shouldn't it?

Copons

Or you could send him some rare knives :p

Or, you know, I could just join our ideas and go with something like
cat-with-knife.jpg

THAT SHOULD TOTALLY DO IT!!

EDIT: btw dear lord gaben, if you're reading this, please acknowledge that I really deserve a Titan GPU, because in the last 4 years I've been playing with a crappy Macbook Pro and the last gaming PC I had, I sold it to buy a Sega Dreamcast day one.
"son, how the fuck are you supposed to study and other stuff without a PC?"
"but the Dreamcast, it has the INTERWEBZ, dear father! it totally can replace my computer!"

Retne

Is anyone interested in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed? There's a 4 pack on sale for $15 and I want a copy for me and a copy my girlfriend to play but don't know anyone that wants the other 2 copies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I used a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 version of Counter-Strike: GO

I assume the 360 version is the same?

No it isn't. Because MS actively stamps out any attempt to put keyboard and mouse controls in their games.

JaseC

Frankly I'm not even sure what kind of appeal this IP could have.
It's not particularly good (subjectively I would actually paint it as terrible), it's not even successful and chances are it's going to be relatively pricey too, given how much they spent on it.

I'd say any interested parties are acutely aware of Reckoning's sales performance and so even if the IP has an inordinate starting price it'll be reintroduced at a lower value (not unlike everybody laughing at Atari wanting $3.5m for Rollercoaster Tycoon). The game's made Rhode Island over $700k on Steam alone since 38 Studios bit the dust despite being on sale only once (as a Daily), so if the price is right I can see a company snapping the Amalur IP even if there's no desire to expand the franchise.

Is the Green Man Gaming 25% off of pre-purchases code still active? I wanted to pre-purchase AC: Black Flag yesterday, but had to hold off... And now I can't find the code anymore.

I might need a new display soon.

I have some money I could spend but I'd rather save that for games and I haven't decided if I want just one or two for work. Or I could just keep the Samsung I have right now for that and add a proper good screen.

I might need a new display soon.

I have some money I could spend but I'd rather save that for games and I haven't decided if I want just one or two for work. Or I could just keep the Samsung I have right now for that and add a proper good screen.

I've been meaning to upgrade to a 1080p computer monitor. Right now I play my games on a Full HD TV, but I'm starting to wonder if playing on a computer monitor I can effectively use in a dualscreen setup without fearing for burn-in isn't a better idea.

Tomodachi

I've got another 360 pad question for you guys. I finally got a wireless one, was wondering if under Windows 7 it's possible to keep it always connected and showing in the devices list, even when it's off.

Problem is, joy2key is set for starting with windows (I need it running at all times to control the desktop from the couch, which I do often), but when windows starts the controller is always off (turns off automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity or so) and when joy2key can't find any controller it just shuts off when launched. I could always turn on the controller as soon as windows starts and then launch manually joy2key but it would be cooler if all of this was always ready for use, of course.

I hope that was clear enough but I somehow doubt it :/

Raxus

So FFVII is on sale for 6 bucks and I am really tempted to buy it. The only thing holding me back is I heard the soundtrack isn't the superior PS1 version and the square DRM. Was anything done to fix this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So FFVII is on sale for 6 bucks and I am really tempted to buy it. The only thing holding me back is I heard the soundtrack isn't the superior PS1 version and the square DRM. Was anything done to fix this?

You can mod that.

Nabs

I heard they just patched that in.

Hot damn!

The first one isn't necessarily true. HL3 was trademarked, then later it got removed, but in the meantime there was another Jira leak confirming again that Valve have people working on it.

Also, just yesterday Valve detailed their Steam Machine prototypes, which save for one config are pretty high-end with Titans and all.

The_Monk

Hello fellow GAFfers, have anyone in here tried Haunted Memories? The first Chapter is on Steam and it's FREE so you can download it and try it for yourself. The game is in Early Access right now so bugs and other issues are expected.

So far it seems that the game have several problems. Frame rate is a known issue, if you play with the 360 Controller you may see your character auto-walk for a moment every now and then specially when you are turning around (which also have a strange animation).

The game seems to look good but I can't really comment on it since I do not have proper hardware to see it for myself. The audio is really nice, the sound of rain and the constant storms at night really add to the experience.

Saving your game is similar to the Resident Evil games, you found a Typewriter and you save your progress. At the start of the game you will have a Flashlight but you will need to get batteries when you run out of juice.

There's also the creepy feeling. I got scared twice out of nothing because I believe I was lost so I wanted to turn back but soon as I did BAM something was just besides me. There was also a moment that it was too creepy for me. Something was in front of you but it was a bit far way, it seems it was looking at you, just staring... I didn't like that, I was saying to myself "Just go away man, just go..."

I climbed a tower, for a really long time at the start of the game (turn left and climb the mountain). Yeah, don't go there.

Minamu

I have five Sanctum 2 steam keys to give away :) ModBot seems a bit scary tbh, so I'll put them in email tags here. I suggest only taking one key so as many people as possible can enjoy the game! I assume there's no region locking thing, but in case there is, the codes are most likely for EU.

didamangi

I have five Sanctum 2 steam keys to give away :) ModBot seems a bit scary tbh, so I'll put them in email tags here. I suggest only taking one key so as many people as possible can enjoy the game! I assume there's no region locking thing, but in case there is, the codes are most likely for EU.

Thx! Took the third one.

adaen

Thanks, took the second one.

I don't understand why the quick save/load feature is not directly built in the game. However, thanks to Durante's fix, we can have a similar feature based on:
  • frequent auto-save,
  • possibility to skip the intro videos,
so that one could just die, alt-tab, make sure the auto-save file is safe, quit the game, reload the auto-save file, and start just at the point he was a few minutes before he dies. It does make the game much more enjoyable.

God, this pisses me off so much. Sorry.

Leave Dark Souls alone!

yoshizzle

Took the 4th one, thank you :)

Xanathus

Thanks, I took the first one which is kinda funny because I tried every key from the last one to the 1st and they're all taken.

OK, so, I bought a second hand copy of Prey and it's got a Steam-valid activation key. I understand the game isn't available on Steam anymore and I already have it on there, so what's the best thing to do with it?

Turfster

Neighbours from Hell is getting tons of greenlight votes thanks to humblebundle, got me thinking if majority of greenlight votes are actually "Hey I got this game in a bundle, I vote so I can get steam key" and not actually going through games and voting based on quality. And yeah, I'm part of the problem..
Except this is a 7 year old turd from an established company.
They're never going to give out steam keys.

OK, so, I bought a second hand copy of Prey and it's got a Steam-valid activation key. I understand the game isn't available on Steam anymore and I already have it on there, so what's the best thing to do with it?

Trade it for RAGE.
(Don't. By all means, trade it, but not for Rage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom