• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Just finished Tomb Raider. What a great game. I 100%ed it by looking at a guide for the last 2 pieces of collectibles, which I couldn't find otherwise.

Now to decide whether to continue playing BioShock 1 (after putting it on Easy, mind you) or to start Dead Space. Or maybe something completely different, I have no idea.

Latest Tomb Raider is better than Uncharted from the brief time I had with with TR.

I'm playing through Tomb Raider right now and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I have never played a Tomb Raider game before though. I will say the typical AAA tropes (example: QTEs) are getting in the way of my enjoyment somewhat. They do seem to be fairly few and far between.

didamangi

Just finished Tomb Raider. What a great game. I 100%ed it by looking at a guide for the last 2 pieces of collectibles, which I couldn't find otherwise.

Too bad they fucked it up by adding mp achievements as well :(

I thought it was an entertaining ride as well, but was dissapointed with the lack of any real puzzles in the game.

Altazor

Tomb Raider... I had tons of fun with it, but I can't deny it was a pretty shallow experience. Those QTEs, man.

Also, I found it a bit excessive in regards to Lara's misfortune. Every cutscene seemed to be worse than the previous. Oh, and the dissonance between cutscene!Lara and gameplay!Lara regarding the killing of the crazy cult... well, yeah.

Baha

Groupees Casual bundle coming tomorrow: http://groupees.com/casual

From their youtube video description:
Announcing the Casual Groupee. A $1.50 minimum Build a Bundle campaign. Game titles include Luxor Envolved, Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena, Pickle Frenzy, Crazy Belts, Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time,Vizati, Smash Cat, Monstafish!

Copons

The LTTP Dark Souls' Adventure of Copons S01E06

Can't remember who talked about basilisks and curses, when I was all badass saying ahah you suck I never got cursed ahah.
Well, after I killed the megarat, going back to the bonfire I fell in a drain right on top of a basilisk nest. Insta-cursed of course.

I tried to keep on with half life (thus HL3 confirmed) in the other foggy door opening to the wide area. Cutscene to some fucking giant super scary beast that two-shots me.

So I run back to the top of the cathedral to pay the most ominous guy ever (c'mon, he just lives 24/7/365 with his arms open trying to hug people??) to uncurse me, but I totally didn't have a single clue, so I asked to clean my sins and he wanted 165000 souls.
Lot of funny farming time later, I go there, pay my dues and nothing fucking happens. Later I'd have discovered that sins-cleaning undo the occasional NPC hitting (I hit one guy by mistake because he looked like an enemy but then I stopped because he started cursing to me and I felt super guilty and sorry).
Then I noticed that the uncurse thing is an item the ominous guy (and even the NPC I hit, but that I figured several minutes later) sells for 3000 souls.
So back on farming, then uncursing and finally into the Depths.

What I learned today? Well, when I had full HP I thought I was really weak. Then I felt the half HP feeling, risking being oneshot by even the weakest enemy around. And then when I went back to normal I felt like the king of the world, running around killing people with zero cautiousness because fuck it I have like DOUBLE HP!!
I'm expecting to die even more, now that this thing is deceiving me to think that I'm powerful while I'm obviously not.

Grief.exe

What I learned today? Well, when I had full HP I thought I were really weak. Then I felt the half HP feeling, risking being oneshot by even the weakest enemy around. And then when I went back to normal I felt like the king of the world, running around killing people with zero cautiousness because fuck it I have like DOUBLE HP!!
I'm expecting to die even more, now that this thing is deceiving me to think that I'm powerful while I'm obviously not.

You just described NG+ ;)

That is what makes SL1 runs so much fun. You have to be aware of your surroundings and enemies at all times.

Altazor

The LTTP Dark Souls' Adventure of Copons S01E06

Can't remember who talked about basilisks and curses, when I was all badass saying ahah you suck I never got cursed ahah.
Well, after I killed the megarat, going back to the bonfire I fell in a drain right on top of a basilisk nest. Insta-cursed of course.

'twas me :D

fucking basilisks!

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the game... I am too, currently (location spoiler)
about to enter Sen's Fortress and kinda dreading it. I hope my reflexes don't betray me and leave me prey to those huge spinning blades

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing through Tomb Raider right now and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I have never played a Tomb Raider game before though. I will say the typical AAA tropes (example: QTEs) are getting in the way of my enjoyment somewhat. They do seem to be fairly few and far between.
I thought the QTEs, while not fun, didn't ruin the game. That said, my thumb is still aching from all the times I had to repeatedly press X.

Too bad they fucked it up by adding mp achievements as well :(

I thought it was an entertaining ride as well, but was dissapointed with the lack of any real puzzles in the game.
Yeah, there never should be MP achievements. Though I still lack 2 SP ones, which I may get if I ever decide to replay it.

By the way, the
Bell Gargoyle
boss in Dark Souls is a fight I'm supposed to lose, right? There's just no way of killing that motherfucker.

Altazor

By the way, the
Bell Gargoyle
boss in Dark Souls is a fight I'm supposed to lose, right? There's just no way of killing that motherfucker.

it's not THAT hard, dude, just keep on trying and you'll make it :)

Curiously enough I spent more time stuck on
the fucking TAURUS DEMON, yes, the second boss of the game
than on the one you're stuck on. It's a thing of learning patterns and being careful.

Copons

By the way, the
Bell Gargoyle

I got stuck there for a LOT of time. But eventually I got lucky and succeeded in killing one of them before
the other comes down
, and from there is a simple job.

than on the one you're stuck on. It's a thing of learning patterns and being careful.

Ahah, that guy, I was so afraid of it, I killed it just by throwing firebombs. I actually NEVER hit it with my weapon. :D

Go human and summon a sunbro to help you.

This is one of the stuff that I'm going to ask (another time, cause I'm going out and I won't be able to keep the discussion going), because I totally don't understand how multiplayer (or summoning in general) works.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Go human and summon a sunbro to help you.
But I want to do it on my own :/

It kills me in 3 or 4 hits, and I can't seem to dodge them. Besides, I never have the time to strike it myself and run away from his retaliation.

I beat that one after asking for tips here on GAF, once I knew the trick it wasn't that hard. This one is literally impossible.

I got stuck there for a LOT of time. But eventually I got lucky and succeeded in killing one of them before
the other comes down
, and from there is a simple job.
What the hell? I'm meant to kill
TWO of those
? Haha, this is a joke, please tell me it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think my Halloween Sale fund will see a ~$135 reduction thanks to my useless, awful, piece-of-crap SSD, and of course it happens now, when said sale is around the corner.

Copons

I beat that one after asking for tips here on GAF, once I knew the trick it wasn't that hard. This one is literally impossible.

If I did it, probably even a 3 years old kid without hands can do it.
Are you telling us that you're worse than a 3 years old kid without hands?

The_Monk

I think my Halloween Sale fund will see a ~$135 reduction thanks to my useless, awful, piece-of-crap SSD, and of course it happens now, when said sale is around the corner.

That's sad to know fellow GAFfer... Isn't a way for you to fix it? How did that happened?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But I want to do it on my own :/

It kills me in 3 or 4 hits, and I can't seem to dodge them. Besides, I never have the time to strike it myself and run away from his retaliation.
You are making life harder why? It doesn't seem like you are enjoying the challenge, so why not ease the struggle a bit?

Who knows, it might just be more fun...

Copons

What the hell? I'm meant to kill TWO of those? Haha, this is a joke, please tell me it is.

WOPS!
I didn't realize you hadn't get to that part (now I put my line in spoiler), I'm very sorry man!

BTW, your reaction is totally the same I had when I saw the second one coming down. :D

Altazor

a small tip from a noob (aka, me):
go for the tail, you can get a nice weapon and the gargoyle will be unable to do that annoying spinning attack thingie. Keep your distance, have a fire-resistant shield (if possible, can't remember if there's any fire-resistant shield at that point), DON'T RUSH. When you get it to half-health (or quarter-health, can't remember) the other gargoyle will drop. Don't let them corner you. Circle the one that spewing fire, strike and back the hell out. Keep moving, don't let them corner you.

didamangi

This DS gif always gets me every time.

I love how later on
there are a bunch of em on a level that you can kill (easily enough).

A nice reminder of how strong/experienced you've become.

The_Monk

Back in the day when I played on console I remember using my sword on both hands and adding something to the weapon that I can't recall the name, sorry. It's some sort of shock related damage based. It really helps. Couple of hits with that, both hands, dodge, repeat, when the (bit of BOSS Spoiler here) >>
other one appears, keep attacking the same until it's gone then focus on the other one
. Hope this helps fellow GAFfer, sorry if it doesn't.

JaseC

That's sad to know fellow GAFfer... Isn't a way for you to fix it? How did that happened?

I had an issue last year with the firmware becoming corrupt, which was easily fixed (though all the data was lost), however this time around Windows is locking up and, after a reboot, my PC claims it can't find the nominated boot device. Leaving it off for a time offers a brief respite but nothing overly long. I've been meaning to buy a replacement SSD for some time now as 60GB has proven to be too little, however I was hoping to hold off on that until after the Winter Sale.

Edit: Incidentally, I was going to reinstall Windows the other day, so fortunately I've already backed up the important data. I wasn't so lucky last time.

fantomena

I just came over a game breaking bug in Castlevania: LoS. In 7-2 where Im suppose to solve some electricity stuff I need to throw a dagger into a button in the wall with shadow magic activated. But it won't work.

Kammie

Now to decide whether to continue playing BioShock 1 (after putting it on Easy, mind you) or to start Dead Space. Or maybe something completely different, I have no idea.
How is it that you are able to beat Super Hexagon, but you play games on easy? This boggles my mind.

JaseC

Playing Bioshock on hard just seems like a chore.

BioInf on hard tested my patience in some spots, namely due to the added damage the enemies dealt making the shield practically useless -- one hit from just about anything was enough to deplete it, even when I'd maxed out its upgrade slots.

Turfster

BioInf on hard tested my patience in some spots, namely due to the added damage the enemies dealt making the shield practically useless -- one hit from just about anything was enough to deplete it, even when I'd maxed out its upgrade slots.

The balance in Bioshock 2 is even worse.

Tenrius

So I just finished KR0 Act II. It was very short, probably even shorter than the first one, but so sweet. Puts you in a really wonderful mood, that game.

F6DC3C859E957E35FE3508944CA2E44B248A72BF

The_Monk

I had an issue last year with the firmware becoming corrupt, which was easily fixed (though all the data was lost), however this time around Windows is locking up and, after a reboot, my PC claims it can't find the nominated boot device. Leaving it off for a time offers a brief respite but nothing overly long. I've been meaning to buy a replacement SSD for some time now as 60GB has proven to be too little, however I was hoping to hold off on that until after the Winter Sale.

Edit: Incidentally, I was going to reinstall Windows the other day, so fortunately I've already backed up the important data. I wasn't so lucky last time.

That's a shame indeed, I can relate with unexpected bills. Hope you can find something for a decent price.

How is it that you are able to beat Super Hexagon, but you play games on easy? This boggles my mind.

It's just that different skills can affect different genres fellow GAFfer, easy to understand. I can finish one FPS in Very Hard or Veteran but will fail a simple double jump on a Platform game many times.

So I just finished KR0 Act II. It was very short, probably even shorter than the first one, but so sweet. Puts you in a really wonderful mood, that game.

Can't wait to play this one, your impressions made the game even better and harder to resist. It's okay if the game can be too short because in games like these it's more important the quality instead of the quantity.

Nabs

How did you like that final encounter?

gblues

Banned
So, Steam has given me a few coupons, none of which I plan to use. PM me which coupon you want and a link to your Steam profile. First PM first served.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gblues/inventory#753

-10%: Shadow Warrior (Valid until 10/25 23:59:00 GMT -0700)
-25%: Volgarr the Viking (Valid until 11/15 23:59:00 GMT -0800)
-33%: Foul Play (Valid until 11/15/2013 23:59:00 GMT -0800)
-33%: Foul Play (Valid until 11/15/2013 23:59:00 GMT -0800)

MRORANGE

The old ones are still pretty good to ok, everyone has their own personal favorite, but I would love to have another isometric Tomb Raider game: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is really good and also made by Crystal Dynamics.

ss_147c97de21a82cab242ddcd7f4c307a331aaddec.600x338.jpg

rtcn63

I stopped at S & O. Remember summoning some guy in the room before the bossfight, and he got killed by the giant guards. Just said screw it after that, even though the humanity loss wasn't so bad, since I farmed 10-20 in the painted world of ariamis. Those mice yo.

I guess I'm just not hardcore enough. I beat Shinobi and DMC3 on the PS2, and I doubt I could even do that anymore.

Tenrius

Can't wait to play this one, your impressions made the game even better and harder to resist. It's okay if the game can be too short because in games like these it's more important the quality instead of the quantity.

Oh, of course! It's just that the second act ends rather abruptly and the third one doesn't even have a release date yet. I didn't at all expect it to end when it ended.

The_Monk

Oh, of course! It's just that the second act ends rather abruptly and the third one doesn't even have a release date yet. I didn't at all expect it to end when it ended.

Can you relate that game to any other you have played? Would you consider to be emotional (even if you didn't feel that way)? Some GAFfers told me a while ago that, if I liked the way Telltale's The Walking Dead was approached I would also like this one. I know there's many different things about it, I'm just trying to see if it's similar to any other games when it comes to Story/Feelings (I'm trying to avoid gameplay videos, spoilers, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom