• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

I'd say it feels like a mix between One Hundred Years of Solitude (the book), O Brother Where Art Thou?, Interstate 60 and Big Fish (all movies) with a Monkey Island-ish vibe (just the vibe though, there are no puzzles or anything). If that make sense of course, lol.

As for it being emotional — well, it's not like The Walking Dead in that regard, because the narrative is highly unconventional in KR0 as opposed to that game, but it sure is emotional in its own way.

I'm a bit late for replying, sorry, but thanks for your impressions!

gabbo

Thanks. No need for them then.

Opposing Force is pretty damn good fwiw. Provides a good take from 'the other side' of the Black Mesa incident. It lacks any real canon status (as does most of Blue Shift) at this point, but it's certainly worth playing through and retains most of HL1's tone and feel.

Coldsnap

I need to make 10 friends for the hardware badge. If anyone wants to add me that would be awesome ColdsnapBryan is my ID. I'm on steam a lot :)

gabbo

hey stumpakow or any other knock-knock backers, have you gotten your steam key yet?

I wanna play :(

Was it not in the email with the rest of the download links?
Keep in mind I haven't had a chance to download any of it because I'm not at home for the weekend, but i assumed it was among those in the email i got.

zkylon

zkylewd
Was it not in the email with the rest of the download links?
Keep in mind I haven't had a chance to download any of it because I'm not at home for the weekend, but i assumed it was among those in the email i got.
haven't gotten anything from them yet, steam keys or otherwise

sent them an email to support, and took the opportunity to write them about how madly in love I am with the void lol

Tankallex

Banned
I was playing Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines today, and I was in the Cyber Cafe', where I realized that the Steam Machine as well as the controller were being thought of YEARS ago... I give you the evidence.
lhzh.png

AND those controllers have NO buttons..
ctsj.png

That's right. A console that can play VTMB on a television. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it that you're not good at games, or that games just aren't good?
The former. I haven't found any game (except maybe Super Hexagon) where I can say "I'm actually good at this!". For someone who started playing video games since he was 4 (I'd say 3, but I'm not sure about that), I can't say I have much to show for it. Maybe it's a matter of practice, who knows.

About to order a 120 Hz 3D monitor, from what I understand the 120 Hz will benefit all games in general or is that just due to the improved response time in general? There are of course many games I can play at 120 FPS with a GTX 670 but the most modern games often fail to hit even 60 consistently.

For people who use Nvidia 3D Vision, how big is the framerate hit in general?

Grief.exe

Playing Bioshock on hard just seems like a chore.

BioInf on hard tested my patience in some spots, namely due to the added damage the enemies dealt making the shield practically useless -- one hit from just about anything was enough to deplete it, even when I'd maxed out its upgrade slots.

I kind of feel the same way about BioShock 2 on hard right now.

The enemies don't do anything interesting, they just turned them into bullet sponges that do increased damage.
They just stand in one spot and shoot at you.

The boss fights are more fun on hard though.

Up to capcom, batman... Soon?

I've always speculated that these patches would be released with some kind of promotion.

2K went first this weekend with the sale, Warner will be doing upcoming promotions for Arkham Origins.

Nabs

Well, something might be wrong with me. I just beat Brothers: AToTS (~2.5hrs) and... I was pretty bored through most of it. I got tired of the controls pretty quickly, and the puzzles rarely felt good. The graphics were well done, and there were some really stunning scenes, but that's about it. I'm watching the WTF right now and I feel like I played a completely different game.

I blame Serious Sam 3.

Copons

Yes I am! I totally am, at least when it comes to video games.

But I am too! You should have seen me on WoW. I was like the worst GM on the entire Crushridge EU server. And by far! Oh the happy days when I dropped out of university to play 10+ hours a day, still remaining one of the worse player around. :D

I guess you're right, yes. I think I have a spare piece of humanity, so I could try using it to summon someone who could help me.

But still, I definitely need to learn how to fight on my own; how to roll properly, when to strike and when to run or heal myself. I also need to learn about upgrading my equipment and weapons, because I take a lot of damage and barely deal any.

Thanks for the tips, but the problem is that I can't hit the first one without being hit myself. I already have a lot of trouble staying alive, so I can't focus on attacking him at the same time.

Thanks to all of you, guys! Gonna try these tips next time I play the game.

Letting alone how to combat (I don't know really, and of course is the main part of the fun of playing DS, so it would be unfair to explain it), after something like 20 tries against the gargoyles I noticed some common patterns.
First and less important: when they spit fire together my framerate take more hits than my character in game. But I assume if you are here you should have a better PC than mine, so it doesn't apply to you.
Second: you just have to kill the first one before the second one reach you. Considering the second appears when you pass half HP of the first, it means that somewhere near 51% of its HP you have to hit hard no matter what (worst case scenario: you die. so basically it's average case scenario :D ). At that point, go near it and try a 3+ combo (I beat it with a halberd+3 fast attack only) if you can. This way you should be able to avoid it flying away, killing it before the second gargoyle is able to get near you.
If you have both gargoyles around it may get messy, because I didn't know which was the first one, so I didn't know who to hit first.
The second gargoyle is actually easier, because you just have to get near it and roll around avoiding fire. It's slow and it's super clear when it's starting an attack.

Well, something might be wrong with me. I just beat Brothers: AToTS (~2.5hrs) and... I was pretty bored through most of it. I got tired of the controls pretty quickly, and the puzzles rarely felt good. The graphics were well done, and there were some really stunning scenes, but that's about it. I'm watching the WTF right now and I feel like I played a completely different game.

I blame Serious Sam 3.
It's not just you. Game wasn't good and I have no clue why some people thought it was so amazing.

dani_dc

If you have both gargoyles around it may get messy, because I didn't know which was the first one, so I didn't know who to hit first..

There's a good way to identify which is which (both from the front and from the back), the first Gargoyle has a shield on it's left hand and also has a tail, the second Gargoyle lacks both.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
About to order a 120 Hz 3D monitor, from what I understand the 120 Hz will benefit all games in general or is that just due to the improved response time in general? There are of course many games I can play at 120 FPS with a GTX 670 but the most modern games often fail to hit even 60 consistently.

For people who use Nvidia 3D Vision, how big is the framerate hit in general?

I'm pretty sure that a 120hz monitor will give you nothing if you're rendering games at 60fps. The monitor/videocard will just double those frames up when displaying. To get a true advantage in using it, you'd need to render games at 120fps, which means you'd need a beast of a videocard to do it on most games, which is my most defining aspect for the "I don't need a 120hz monitor" argument.

The other two arguments are the fact that I think that 3D was just a fad and that there's no scenario that benefits from a 3D monitor. Also, there's no IPS monitors that go at 120hz, and IPS is a much better technology than T-N when it comes to color reproduction. The benefits of T-N are the faster response rates (which I personally don't believe are sufficient to make a difference) and 120hz, which I already explained. Also, constant 60fps is already an amazing jump from the "cinematic" 27fps that consoles provide.

But that's just my opinion. There are people who swear by the Response Time of T-N panels in 120hz. And, believe me, there's even people that think 3D is.. not terrible!

I still stand by my "Get a 24 inch, 16:10 60hz IPS panel" argument I presented in the thread earlier today (because of course I wouldn't change my mind from earlier this afternoon to now.. :D)

Copons

There's a good way to identify which is which (both from the front and from the back), the first Gargoyle has a shield on it's left hand and also has a tail, the second Gargoyle lacks both.

Ah, thank you!
I'll try to remember it for NG+.

(also, I hope that for that time I'll have a Gaben Much Appreciated Prototype to ease the framerate drops pain :D )

MRORANGE

I just want to game in 21:9, really tempted as a upgrade to my 16:10 22 inch samsung.

Ea0GM4S.jpg

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nothing excels in this game. Gameplay is a rehash of existing games, writing is bad, and shaky cam. Why do you need shaky cam in a game?
To experience the visceral uneasiness of barely scraping out your survival.

A.K.A. Ruining the game even more.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I blame Serious Sam 3.

It's not just you. Game wasn't good and I have no clue why some people thought it was so amazing.

But enough about Serious Sam 3...

Oscar-caliber script.

I SAID ENOUGH ABOUT SERIOUS SAM 3!

Kammie

Nope it was none of those things. I just wish I could have died once in TR that wasn't from missing a QTE or from me not paying attention because I was falling asleep from boredom. The tacked on RPG checklist features like crafting made an already easy and challenge-less game a joke. A toddler with barely functioning motor skills could have finished that game.
Should have played it on hard mode. I never bothered with normal. It was actually a good challenge, I died at least once in half the enemy encounters (and others were a real bitch and took me upwards of five tries).

I also played without using the survival instinct or whatever it's called. Ended up using it only for some of the collectables. The game has inherent level design issues (it tries to feel organic but it's just confusing and arbitrary with all the random barriers), but it did make it a little more challenging, too.

I'm pretty sure that a 120hz monitor will give you nothing if you're rendering games at 60fps. The monitor/videocard will just double those frames up when displaying. To get a true advantage in using it, you'd need to render games at 120fps, which means you'd need a beast of a videocard to do it on most games, which is my most defining aspect for the "I don't need a 120hz monitor" argument.

The other two arguments are the fact that I think that 3D was just a fad and that there's no scenario that benefits from a 3D monitor. Also, there's no IPS monitors that go at 120hz, and IPS is a much better technology than T-N when it comes to color reproduction. The benefits of T-N are the faster response rates (which I personally don't believe are sufficient to make a difference) and 120hz, which I already explained. Also, constant 60fps is already an amazing jump from the "cinematic" 27fps that consoles provide.

But that's just my opinion. There are people who swear by the Response Time of T-N panels in 120hz. And, believe me, there's even people that think 3D is.. not terrible!

I still stand by my "Get a 24 inch, 16:10 60hz IPS panel" argument I presented in the thread earlier today (because of course I wouldn't change my mind from earlier this afternoon to now.. :D)

Of course I know you need to render at 120 FPS to actually get that major advantage, as I said there are many older games I can run at the framerate, but I thought some had said the 120+Hz panels would lead to an overall boost in response.

And I'm someone who very much supports 3D and think it can add a lot when done right both in gaming and film(watch Pina or Gravity!) so it's something that stands out as an advantage to me. The 3D of today is not the 3D of yesterday. Not to mention it's something very important to virtual reality systems which I'm very keen on as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Of course I know you need to render at 120 FPS to actually get that major advantage, as I said there were many older games I can run at the framerate, but I thought some had said the 120+Hz panels would lead to an overall boost in response.

And I'm someone who very much supports 3D and think it can add a lot when done right both in gaming and film(watch Pina or Gravity!) so it's something that stands out as an advantage to me.

So why are you even asking questions? A T-N 120hz monitor is the only option. :D

Should have played it on hard mode. I never bothered with normal. It was actually a good challenge, I died at least once in half the enemy encounters (and others were a real bitch and took me upwards of five tries).

I also played without using the survival instinct or whatever it's called. Ended up using it only for some of the collectables. The game has inherent level design issues (it tries to feel organic but it's just confusing and arbitrary with all the random barriers), but it did make it a little more challenging, too.
Every mode is easy mode. Headshoting enemies with pistol is very easy, since TR is also a cover based shooter. All you need is a pistol and a shotgun(for the boss fights).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The questions were about the specifics. Ie, can anyone who uses Nvidia Vision 3D speak about the performance hit or does 120 Hz does feature that general increase to responsiveness.

Yeah, I was editing my message.

I don't think you'll gain anything by running things at a lower than 120fps, because the hardware would only be doubling frames. I guess you'd get less trailing effects.

About 3D, it does have a hit on performance. I'm not 100% sure, but as I understand, you'd be rendering two different viewpoints. I don't know how much of a hit it does though.

Basically, I don't know the answer to your questions and I shouldn't have posted that message. I'm sorry. :D

I just want to game in 21:9, really tempted as a upgrade to my 16:10 22 inch samsung.

Ea0GM4S.jpg

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

I was recently talking with a friend about this and other than the price (these monitors are usually 3 to 5 times the price of regular monitors where we live), I told him that I don't think it's a good idea, because most games don't support the resolution.

However, it just dawned upon me that, for games that don't support it, you could just play the game in windowed mode, move the window to the sides/center and use the extra screen space for a ghetto "dual monitor" setup.

I was playing Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines today, and I was in the Cyber Cafe', where I realized that the Steam Machine as well as the controller were being thought of YEARS ago... I give you the evidence.

AND those controllers have NO buttons..

That's right. A console that can play VTMB on a television. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

There are actually some Steam and Gabe Newell references in the game. Maybe they really knew something :eek:

Khronico

Holy cow. There's so much new stuff in Terraria. I played like 3 hours today and all I see is new stuff everywhere. Everyone who hasn't played it since the update should do so immediately!

dot

Holy cow. There's so much new stuff in Terraria. I played like 3 hours today and all I see is new stuff everywhere. Everyone who hasn't played it since the update should do so immediately!

That's good to know. Me and my friend are planning to jump back in later tonight. I heard they added tons of new stuff like the map and new biomes. This will hopefully hold me over until Starbound is out (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom