• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I could agree it's the best worst game and the best example of everything that went wrong with gaming this gen. That's all I can give though.
In a world where Serious Sam 3 was released, this is nothing more than hyperbolic sensationalism.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Why in the hell my post always end up being the 50th of the page. :lol

Nah, I don't want to switch to 100pp

Tenrius

Can you relate that game to any other you have played? Would you consider to be emotional (even if you didn't feel that way)? Some GAFfers told me a while ago that, if I liked the way Telltale's The Walking Dead was approached I would also like this one. I know there's many different things about it, I'm just trying to see if it's similar to any other games when it comes to Story/Feelings (I'm trying to avoid gameplay videos, spoilers, etc).

I'd say it feels like a mix between One Hundred Years of Solitude (the book), O Brother Where Art Thou?, Interstate 60 and Big Fish (all movies) with a Monkey Island-ish vibe (just the vibe though, there are no puzzles or anything). If that make sense of course, lol.

As for it being emotional — well, it's not like The Walking Dead in that regard, because the narrative is highly unconventional in KR0 as opposed to that game, but it sure is emotional in its own way.

Li Kao

Which remake do you mean? Roughly the last third of Black Mesa Source isn't finished yet, but the game itself is free. Half-Life: Source is basically the original game with fancier water, everything else is the same.

Yup, sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought when writing my post. I was talking about Half-Life / Half-Life Source. I am really really fond of vanilla Half-Life and if at first I thought an updated engine might be good, it might be odd too. The store page screenshots are... meh... but at the same time, the blocky soldier on the HL vanilla page is something too ^o^
I was wondering which way to go.

Tak3n

Banned
Batman Arkham Origins is £22.50 at GMG using code GMG25-J2566-L2GHZ...

I was going to get it on ebay or the steam trade but the Dev confirmed the Nvidia codes wont include the pre order bonus

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Personal BGEE Update: This game still holds up, not that I expected otherwise. Love Neera, even if the characters don't do much in the first BG.

NeeraPortrait.jpg

She's a wild mage, has a very random spell and some other perks, and it's a nice change to all the other (imo) really boring looking mage characters in the game. It meant I had to scrap Minsc after rescuing Dynaheir though, so I'm going with one rotating spot since I wanna keep Jaheira and Khalid (and Imoen of course)

Just got through my first visit of the
undercover
Tazok area, now back to the Arm and planning to go back torch/check out that place more. Depending on my mood.

This game really really is still awesome, hopefully I will finish it in time for BG2 EE. Oh, and the EE itself I really like too. The zoom is useless but fun, the screen ratio is perfect, the redone menus are really nice. Quicksave button right on the GUI, great idea. And I didn't run into any bugs whatsoever up to now, everything went smooth and buttery. It also takes the game rules and mechanics of BG2, which I also do like.

So yeah, will probably keep you updated.

morningbus

I really enjoyed Serious Sam 3...

What was your favorite part?

The shitty gameplay or the shitty level design?

I suppose one could like the shitty enemy spawns that forego even shitty monster closets and just shittily spawn shitty enemies in front of your shitty guns.

What was your favorite part?

The shitty gameplay or the shitty level design?

I suppose one could like the shitty enemy spawns that forego even shitty monster closets and just shittily spawn shitty enemies in front of your shitty guns.

I don't know, you ran around and you shot a heap of stuff. Granted you have to be in the right mood, but it met my expectations.

Had you player the series previously?

FloatOn

The only good thing about Tomb Raider '13 was the bow and the pretty graphics.

I agree with salsa that the writing is a syfy movie level bad.

Enco

I want a HUGE mutliplayer game.

Something that has a ton of content and not an MMO.

Kinda like DayZ or Starbound. Or even something similar to Dwarf Fortress but playable and with others. The only mp game I play is Dota. I want more...

Papytendo

Oh cool, I went to purchase Minerva's Den on sale, only to learn that I got it in the update. Must be because I bought the code from Amazon.

Enco

What the FUCK happened to my play times?

Everything has been reset.

This is a huge Steam pro for me. If it's fucked up I have a lot less to like about Steam.

morningbus

Anyone who complains about a game's writing has to first state their opinion on Borderlands 2's writing. If I could code this into GAF user profiles and make it part of the TOS, I would.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If I did it, probably even a 3 years old kid without hands can do it.
Are you telling us that you're worse than a 3 years old kid without hands?
Yes I am! I totally am, at least when it comes to video games.

You are making life harder why? It doesn't seem like you are enjoying the challenge, so why not ease the struggle a bit?

Who knows, it might just be more fun...
I guess you're right, yes. I think I have a spare piece of humanity, so I could try using it to summon someone who could help me.

But still, I definitely need to learn how to fight on my own; how to roll properly, when to strike and when to run or heal myself. I also need to learn about upgrading my equipment and weapons, because I take a lot of damage and barely deal any.

a small tip from a noob (aka, me):
go for the tail, you can get a nice weapon and the gargoyle will be unable to do that annoying spinning attack thingie. Keep your distance, have a fire-resistant shield (if possible, can't remember if there's any fire-resistant shield at that point), DON'T RUSH. When you get it to half-health (or quarter-health, can't remember) the other gargoyle will drop. Don't let them corner you. Circle the one that spewing fire, strike and back the hell out. Keep moving, don't let them corner you.
Thanks for the tips, but the problem is that I can't hit the first one without being hit myself. I already have a lot of trouble staying alive, so I can't focus on attacking him at the same time.

Back in the day when I played on console I remember using my sword on both hands and adding something to the weapon that I can't recall the name, sorry. It's some sort of shock related damage based. It really helps. Couple of hits with that, both hands, dodge, repeat, when the (bit of BOSS Spoiler here) >>
other one appears, keep attacking the same until it's gone then focus on the other one
. Hope this helps fellow GAFfer, sorry if it doesn't.
Fight him naked and you'll win. (for faster roll)
Thanks to all of you, guys! Gonna try these tips next time I play the game.

Parsnip

I'm really enjoying reading the Dark Souls posts from the past few pages.

I too am playing it (second time), rolling with a very low health, high dex and endurance build. Fun fun. I didn't
find Ash Lake the first time at all, illusionary walls
are dumb. This time though, I got there, got cursed on my way down there, and then everything was one-shotting me. But I kept pushing forward anyway, ran
past the hydra and found the dragon covenant. Then I sniped the hydra
and got the hell out of there.

Getting cursed for a long time forces you to play extra careful, especially on low health character, and then when you remove it, it's very easy to get reckless because of all the health you now have.
I'm now in
Anor Londo

Disp

Neo Member

This is a huge Steam pro for me. If it's fucked up I have a lot less to like about Steam.
They are correct in the steamcommunity profile, its just the clients library view that's screwing up.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, you ran around and you shot a heap of stuff. Granted you have to be in the right mood, but it met my expectations.

Had you player the series previously?

Serious Sam 3 is great. It becomes even more of a puzzler on the higher difficulties in using the right weapon for the right situation.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How is it that you are able to beat Super Hexagon, but you play games on easy? This boggles my mind.
Because I'm not actually good at games. I managed to beat SH by playing it a lot, so I finally learned the patterns and how to react to them. But other games still kick my ass, and since I don't like BioShock's gameplay and most enemies are bullet sponges on Hard, I decided to tone it down to Easy.

And it was a good idea: I'm now able to kill Big Daddies really fast, which means I won't get frustrated anymore due to the bad shooting mechanics.

Playing Bioshock on hard just seems like a chore.
That was the reason I never finished the game. Had I played it on Easy (or maybe even Medium) from the very start, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot. Such a good setting and story.

rtcn63

Played B2 on hard not long ago. It's horrible at first, but actually gets borderline easy later on. Just make sure you use the research camera every chance you get. I was at the point where I would buy ammo just to burn money, there was so much.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I could agree it's the best worst game and the best example of everything that went wrong with gaming this gen. That's all I can give though.

I don't know how you can say bad things about Tomb Raider when you say you liked the even worse Enslaved. Tomb Raiders a fuckin masterpiece compared to that shit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In a world where Serious Sam 3 was released, this is nothing more than hyperbolic sensationalism.
I love to see you guys talking about games you deeply dislike. I'm sorry for thinking that way, but I hope there are many more games you hate to come. They make for such a fun reading :p

Nabs

Because I'm not actually good at games. I managed to beat SH by playing it a lot, so I finally learned the patterns and how to react to them. But other games still kick my ass, and since I don't like BioShock's gameplay and most enemies are bullet sponges on Hard, I decided to tone it down to Easy.

And it was a good idea: I'm now able to kill Big Daddies really fast, which means I won't get frustrated anymore due to the bad shooting mechanics.

That was the reason I never finished the game. Had I played it on Easy (or maybe even Medium) from the very start, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot. Such a good setting and story.

Is it that you're not good at games, or that games just aren't good?

Derrick01

Banned

I stopped caring about that when Steam decided to misreport my play times in a lot of games. I know for a fact I have nowhere near 165 hours in Skyrim or 43 in NBA 2k13.

I don't know how you can say bad things about Tomb Raider when you say you liked the even worse Enslaved. Tomb Raiders a fuckin masterpiece compared to that shit.

I died a few times in Enslaved so it's definitely a better game than Tomb Raider. I wouldn't say it's a good game but it was a decent and forgettable game. Hardly as offensive as TR was.

RionaaM said:
I love to see you guys talking about games you deeply dislike. I'm sorry for thinking that way, but I hope there are many more games you hate to come. They make for such a fun reading :p

I'm honing my skills for when Thief comes out in February.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I died a few times in Enslaved so it's definitely a better game than Tomb Raider. I wouldn't say it's a good game but it was a decent and forgettable game. Hardly as offensive as TR was.

Of course you died in Enslaved. With the terrible combat, awful framerate and shitty controller lag it all worked against you.

I'd like to think that I'm not a difficulty snob (since I'm not that good at games either) but I think people are doing themselves a disservice by playing some on lower difficulties. Sounding like a broken record here but Alan Wake in particular I found very unfun to go through on Medium but when I went through the PC version on Nightmare I had a blast. I'd go as far to say that you haven't even scratched the surface of the game at Medium.

Derrick01

Banned
Of course you died in Enslaved. With the terrible combat, awful framerate and shitty controller lag it all worked against you.

Nope it was none of those things. I just wish I could have died once in TR that wasn't from missing a QTE or from me not paying attention because I was falling asleep from boredom. The tacked on RPG checklist features like crafting made an already easy and challenge-less game a joke. A toddler with barely functioning motor skills could have finished that game.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I'd like to think that I'm not a difficulty snob (since I'm not that good at games either) but I think people are doing themselves a disservice by playing some on lower difficulties. Sounding like a broken record here but Alan Wake in particular I found very unfun to go through on Medium but when I went through the PC version on Nightmare I had a blast. I'd go as far to say that you haven't even scratched the surface of the game at Medium.

It all depends on the game. Some games you absolutely need to play on hard(Metal Gear Revengence) while other hard difficulties are sometimes atrocious(COD)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Nope it was none of those things. I just wish I could have died once in TR that wasn't from missing a QTE or from me not paying attention because I was falling asleep from boredom. The tacked on RPG checklist features like crafting made an already easy and challenge-less game a joke. A toddler with barely functioning motor skills could have finished that game.

I don't disagree with any of your Tomb Raider complaints despite enjoying it. I just really hate Enslaved, probably moreso than morningbus hates Serious Sam :p

Derrick01

Banned
I don't disagree with any of your Tomb Raider complaints despite enjoying it. I just really hate Enslaved, probably moreso than morningbus hates Serious Sam :p

Well if I'm being honest I don't remember much about Enslaved, like I said it was pretty forgettable. I just don't remember outright hating it. I would definitely buy it cheap if it does come to Steam just to see if I still don't mind it.

It all depends on the game. Some games you absolutely need to play on hard(Metal Gear Revengence) while other hard difficulties are sometimes atrocious(COD)

I'd love to know what the "target difficulty" for some of these games are and which is the one most people choose. Would be nice to have stats.

Well if I'm being honest I don't remember much about Enslaved, like I said it was pretty forgettable. I just don't remember outright hating it. I would definitely buy it cheap if it does come to Steam just to see if I still don't mind it.

Guess RionaaM will have his wish fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom