• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHould I buy the HL1 Anthology for Oppossing Force and Blueshift? Are they any good?

Opposing Force is awesome. Compared to the brilliance of HL1 it's a bit rough around the edges, but it brings something really important to the table: it's got amazing weapon and enemy variety, which leads to a huge variety of interesting combat encounters throughout the game.

Sadly, the lesson Valve appears to have taken from the negative end of their Gearbox collaboration is "put only shitty guns and like four different enemies in your shooters." :/

Am about to pick up HL2 and I was wondering what people's opinions were on episode 1 and 2? Worth the pick up?

Valve took all the parts of HL2 (an extremely uneven game) and split them up into two parts to make the Episodes. All the bad parts went into Episode 1.

Hurf

Neo Member
Anyone who complains about a game's writing has to first state their opinion on Borderlands 2's writing. If I could code this into GAF user profiles and make it part of the TOS, I would.

Offensively awful nerd-pandering shit tailored to appeal to teenagers and imbeciles; Borderlands 2 stands as a perfect litmus for determining whose opinions about games and writing you can safely discount.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Offensively awful nerd-pandering shit tailored to appeal to teenagers and imbeciles; Borderlands 2 stands as a perfect litmus for determining whose opinions about games and writing you can safely discount.

Whatever do you mean ? I just looooooved characters like Tiny Tina............

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

All hail King Hurf. May his justice be swift and merciless.

Whatever do you mean ? I just looooooved characters like Tiny Tina............

In my future utopia comments like these would put you on the list for the sex inhibitor implant. Yes, even if said jokingly.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
In my future utopia comments like these would put you on the list for the sex inhibitor implant. Yes, even if said jokingly.

I don't mind Borderlands 2 but I'm not a big fan of its humour. I'll take the stupid Wang jokes from Shadow Warrior over it anytime (and gameplay)

You don't need to give me any sex inhibitor implants either, I do a perfectly good job of keeping women away myself. ;)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've enjoyed the humor in Shadow Warrior. Not every line is a winner, but it has great moments. Bunnies, the cop car, some of the fortune cookies.

The first 5 minutes of Shadow Warrior are funnier than all of Borderlands 2.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've enjoyed the humor in Shadow Warrior. Not every line is a winner, but it has great moments. Bunnies, the cop car, some of the fortune cookies.

The Frank Sinatra fortune cookie had me laughing out loud. Very silly and simple.

Derrick01

Banned
Should have played it on hard mode. I never bothered with normal. It was actually a good challenge, I died at least once in half the enemy encounters (and others were a real bitch and took me upwards of five tries).

I also played without using the survival instinct or whatever it's called. Ended up using it only for some of the collectables. The game has inherent level design issues (it tries to feel organic but it's just confusing and arbitrary with all the random barriers), but it did make it a little more challenging, too.

I did play on Hard, that's the problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Saying that like it's a challenging thing is funny to me.

Anything is better than Boredlands. Because Gearbox.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will RE 5 be playable when GFWL shuts down? And did the Batman games ever patch that out like Bioshock 2?

We dunno. Capcom sucks. Most likely no, given their silence.

And no, not yet. But if Grief is to be believed (HOOKED ON A FEELIN'~) it's gonna happen.

Whoops, doublepost.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd like to think that I'm not a difficulty snob (since I'm not that good at games either) but I think people are doing themselves a disservice by playing some on lower difficulties. Sounding like a broken record here but Alan Wake in particular I found very unfun to go through on Medium but when I went through the PC version on Nightmare I had a blast. I'd go as far to say that you haven't even scratched the surface of the game at Medium.

I think being able to decide what difficulty is most entertaining for you is more important than researching opinions from people on the internet or always committing to one setting.

Baha

Well hello there...: http://store.steampowered.com/app/257350/

Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.
Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition brings this critically acclaimed role-playing experience to back to life.

Features:

The Final Chapter - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, the epic conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga.

Four New Party Members - Bundled with Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition are four new characters that can join you on your journey.

The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay - Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Undermine your captors and prey upon their weaknesses while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and Githyanki.

Easy Multiplayer - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.

Widescreen and More - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.

$24.99, November 15th release date.

FloatOn

Just got back from GRAVITY

sorry video games you are no longer the superior form of media.

my love for film has been rekindled.

bye steam

only sort of kidding.

Matchew

Does steam have folders for games? I just bought all the Half-Life games and I could use a folder to organize better.

DocSeuss

Opposing Force is awesome. Compared to the brilliance of HL1 it's a bit rough around the edges, but it brings something really important to the table: it's got amazing weapon and enemy variety, which leads to a huge variety of interesting combat encounters throughout the game.

Sadly, the lesson Valve appears to have taken from the negative end of their Gearbox collaboration is "put only shitty guns and like four different enemies in your shooters." :/

Valve took all the parts of HL2 (an extremely uneven game) and split them up into two parts to make the Episodes. All the bad parts went into Episode 1.

All the mediocre parts went into Episode 2.

Half-Life 2 just isn't as good as Half-Life was. I played Half-Life for the first time a week before my first time playing Half-Life 2. And then Episode 1 and 2.

The difference between the two is night and day. Half-Life 2's got the more compelling world--due to a lot of things like facial animations, sound design, art design, the visual storytelling (the literal storytelling is a lot of massive infodumping that sucks). It's a shooter on par with, like, Resistance 3 or Timeshift or something. Part of the problem is that all of Half-Life 2's puzzles are simplistic and physics based; they're not so much puzzles as "now make the physicy thing interact with the other physicy thing." Seesaws and floating barrels and weight on a platform and such.

Half-Life, conversely, is still one of the greatest games of all time. Opposing Force is amazing because it's still, at its core, Half-Life. I mean, the Pit Worm is basically the same thing as the Tentacle, but it's still awesome, because Blast Pit was one of the best levels in video game history, surpassed only by... what, Surface Tension?

I think it deserves to be one of the most talked-about games of the year. It actually manages to be somewhat touching, in part because the entire game basically just takes clichés, eats them, and makes you watch. The end was wonderfully foreshadowed. Surprisingly good story; Lo Wang's voice actor and overall character actually kinda hurt it.

Half-Life 2 just isn't as good as Half-Life was.

Well that's absolutely true. Half-Life is an all-time classic, a lynchpin of the genre, the first (and still most brilliant) blending of pure horror with objective-driven FPS design; Half-Life 2 is a competent narrative-driven shooter.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
you should play EDF insect armageddon on steam for all of your mindless shooting needs.

I think it might warm your cold dead heart.

As an EDF fan I cannot agree with this motion. Sure it may be the only EDF on Steam but it's the worst EDF game.

Well that's absolutely true. Half-Life is an all-time classic, a lynchpin of the genre, the first (and still most brilliant) blending of pure horror with objective-driven FPS design; Half-Life 2 is a competent narrative-driven shooter.

Half Life has a shittastic final part with the alien planet which really hurts it IMO. It will never be as good as Half Life 2.

Grief.exe

Bioshock 2's multiplayer still has some huge issues.

Sensitivity adjustment only has 10 levels, no way to change FOV through ini, no way to turn off mouse acceleration or smoothing in the ini.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

Grief.exe

But is it still good?

I played one match, it was playable and pretty fun.

Took me about half the match for my muscle memory to adjust to the mouse sensitivity and acceleration and I started to get kills.

I forgot to mention that everyone's mic is set to always on. There is no way to switch this option off from what I can see.
Someone suggested to turn your Steam settings from always-on to PTT.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Bioshock 2's multiplayer still has some huge issues.

Sensitivity adjustment only has 10 levels, no way to change FOV through ini, no way to turn off mouse acceleration or smoothing in the ini.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

usermp.ini allows you to change the multiplayer FOV in like one of the first lines.

[Engine.PlayerController]
DefaultFOV=90.0
DefaultForegroundFOV=80.0

Grief.exe

usermp.ini allows you to change the multiplayer FOV in like one of the first lines.

[Engine.PlayerController]
DefaultFOV=90.0
DefaultForegroundFOV=80.0

Did you confirm that this works?

I did that and hasn't done anything for me. Of course, I haven't been in an actual game since then, just walked around the apartment.

zkylon

zkylewd
the fov settings in bio2 have to be set to something like the movement keys so they reset each time you move

this is specially important because aiming down the sights sets them back to the default values

DocSeuss

I think System Shock 2 did horror better (and I think it's the greatest video game of all time), but Half-Life's so much more accessible, yet smart, exemplified in Blast Pit, which is just a series of interlocking, smaller puzzles to solve one giant puzzle.

Half-Life's very much a game where you go into a situation asking "how do I..." and then coming up with a solution. Maybe that's figuring out how to use grenades to stop the tentacle. Maybe it's about how to take out a room full of ninjas who are faster than you while you've only got twenty-five health.

Can't say I've played many shooters like that, though I'd really, really like to.

Half Life has a shittastic final part with the alien planet which really hurts it IMO. It will never be as good as Half Life 2.

Xen is actually something I enjoy. It's so alien and weird. I think most of the people who hate it just didn't take naturally to the jumping the way I did.

Half-Life can't be as good as Half-Life 2 because that would mean being a significantly worse game than it already is. Half-Life 2 isn't even worthy of being in the top twenty shooters of all time. Plenty of games have better gameplay and storytelling. Half-Life 2's only important in the sense that it is still an artistic, audiovisual achievement. It excels in things like atmosphere, sound design, art design, storytelling through the world, little details like the way power cables reach towards a gunship when it flies by... in other words, a bunch of things that make it an intoxicating place to be, even if the way you interact with things in that place, and the story presented to you are really kinda awful.

Khronico

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-043612EDB2DAC4CE - Taken by Clawww
Project Aftermath -- MB-3D0AB4C6146EAEFE - Taken by maneil99

Before I go to bed, here's some games.

Wok

Well, something might be wrong with me. I just beat Brothers: AToTS (~2.5hrs) and... I was pretty bored through most of it. I got tired of the controls pretty quickly, and the puzzles rarely felt good. The graphics were well done, and there were some really stunning scenes, but that's about it. I'm watching the WTF right now and I feel like I played a completely different game.

I blame Serious Sam 3.

Although the game is short, I have not finished it because of its slow pace.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Half-Life can't be as good as Half-Life 2 because that would mean being a significantly worse game than it already is. Half-Life 2 isn't even worthy of being in the top twenty shooters of all time. Plenty of games have better gameplay and storytelling. Half-Life 2's only important in the sense that it is still an artistic, audiovisual achievement. It excels in things like atmosphere, sound design, art design, storytelling through the world, little details like the way power cables reach towards a gunship when it flies by... in other words, a bunch of things that make it an intoxicating place to be, even if the way you interact with things in that place, and the story presented to you are really kinda awful.

Half Life 2 is one of my favourite games of all time so needless to say I disagree :) The thing I love about Half Life 2 is how much of a long adventure it feels and it's a feeling not many FPS do well. It really does feel like a big journey across City 17 and the way the game flows from scenario to scenario is absolutely masterful. I personally adore parts like the boat journey and travelling across the world in the buggy. The sense of loneliness, the sense of isolation and you trying to survive in this hostile world. The gravity gun is still a lot of fun to use even now too.

I won't say anything bad about Half Life 1 as I think it's overall still a brilliant game but there's no way in hell I'd consider a better game than HL2.

Grief.exe

Did you try setting it to read only?

No, but you don't have to do that for the single player ini fixes.

the fov settings in bio2 have to be set to something like the movement keys so they reset each time you move

this is specially important because aiming down the sights sets them back to the default values

No need to aim down sights in this game, the option is there but I feel like you are doing it wrong if you ADS.

Makes you an easier target and doesn't give you an aiming advantage like in other games with typical ADS mechanics.

zkylon

zkylewd
No need to aim down sights in this game, the option is there but I feel like you are doing it wrong if you ADS.

Makes you an easier target and doesn't give you an aiming advantage like in other games with typical ADS mechanics.

I dunno, I really enjoyed it with the harpoon gun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom