• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, man. I tried to play the Witcher 2 again the other day and couldn't get past the first couple of hours. I was even skipping the majority of the cutscenes to speed things up and eventually said "fuck it" before moving on to other games.

I guess it doesn't help that I don't particularly care about the main character or the world he lives in. The combat and the weapons he uses don't really click with me either. So yeah...

I hope the Witcher 3 doesn't have the same problem.

it's a sequel, sooo I have some bad news for you...

wolf fur

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Apparently both versions are from High Voltage (who did the bad MK9 port) so you may want to wait for impressions. I'm getting PC, PS4 and Vita so hopefully there's a good port of the game among one of those I can recommend :/

I thought the MK9 PC port was considered really good?

For offline play it was generally fine but story mode cutscenes were poorly compressed and look bad. There's also no windowed mode for folks who play that way.

The online is literally broken. Matches are laggy, de-sync problems, lobbies not showing people online, etc. Just a mess overall.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I haven't played it myself, but what I've gathered is that it's technically solid however the netcode leaves little to be desired.

Yes, exactly. If you are taking it as a single player game, it is a fantastic port. The only negative is that all the prerendered cinematics are from the console versions and are very jarring when they switch off.

The netcode is terrible if you're playing with anyone farther than about 200 to 300 miles away, I've found. Hopefully they can improve this in Injustice, but if playing with people from across the country or the world is important to you, I'd wait and see.

Seanspeed

Banned
Don't quit W2 mid-way, you are missing out.

Nah, I'm not giving up. Its hardly the first RPG where the intro was a slog to get through, but I'm just incredibly surprised they not only repeated the same problem from the first game, but actually made it even worse.

I do think its a little difficult, though. I've died about 7-8 times already. They don't really explain the combat mechanics to you and you die very quickly if you're not careful.

I buy fighting games because I have actual friends to play them with.

For folks (probably like you and I) that are already invested in fighting games then yeah, all that matters is offline versus play.

But for the games and support (dlc, ports, patches and hotfixes, etc) to keep coming you need to have the total package. That's why it bothers me when people who are purely of the competitive mindset ignore how important it is to get stuff like story mode and online play right for everyone else that buys the game.

Competitive FGC needs them (to keep the sales strong) as much as they need the FGC (to showcase the games at the highest level and build the community).

Dec

The PC port was touted as having superior netcode, so something went horribly wrong, apparently.

So it's a graphically superior version of the game with the same bad netcode from NetherRealm. Not sure that's considered a bad port.

morningbus

Hey, as one of two Martian Manhunter fans, I'm just excited I'll get to main that motherfucker.

How can PC gamers hold all these fighting games?

Really cool. As someone who hasn't played a fighting game since MK4 on PC I think I have to choose one (as a start) of these eventually.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any kind German GAFer out there that can help me get the Hitman Sniper Challenge for free from this site?

I submitted my own order but they sent an email asking for additional information - landline phone number, photocopy of my passport and driver's license and some document in Germany that I guess proves you're over 18.

So I'm kind of confused as to what they're asking for...

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like they're not accepting orders anymore(?)

nexen

Really cool. As someone who hasn't played a fighting game since MK4 on PC I think I have to choose one (as a start) of these eventually.

If you like MK, MK9 is absolutely fantastic on PC.
Well, except for online, apparently. But who plays fighting games online?

morningbus

Fighting games are literally the most important genre of games that exist. If someone were to release a piece of hardware that upon initial snap judgement didn't immediately offer itself as the best method of control for a fighter despite no other standardized piece of hardware actually being suitable for the fighting genre, I'm sure they'd be lampooned and have their hardware disparagingly compared to an owl's face.

Clawww

Man, the Witcher games really try their best to make you stop playing them within the first hour or two, don't they? I just started #2, and I'm just dying to get out of this linear beginning section that just doesn't seem to end. Its terrible. The first one had the same sort of thing, except not quite this bad. It feels like an extremely crappy action game at the moment.

I thought the prologue stuff was alright, but I hated Act 1. Glad I stuck with it, though, because the rest of the game was great.

Fighting games are literally the most important genre of games that exist. If someone were to release a piece of hardware that upon initial snap judgement didn't immediately offer itself as the best method of control for a fighter despite no other standardized piece of hardware actually being suitable for the fighting genre, I'm sure they'd be lampooned and have their hardware disparagingly compared to an owl's face.

Just another shitty controller that won't automatically do fireballs motions for me.

nexen

All jokes aside I wonder if the haptic feedback can make those discs feel like d-pads?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any kind German GAFer out there that can help me get the Hitman Sniper Challenge for free from this site?

I submitted my own order but they sent an email asking for additional information - landline phone number, photocopy of my passport and driver's license and some document in Germany that I guess proves you're over 18.

So I'm kind of confused as to what they're asking for...

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like they're not accepting orders anymore(?)

Sniper Challenge is still included when you buy Absolution on Steam even though it was supposed to be exclusive to pre-orders. I think I remember someone saying you also receive it when activating retail keys, but the retail sub for the Professional Edition lacks it.

morningbus

All jokes aside I wonder if the haptic feedback can make those discs feel like d-pads?

The best case scenario is that it doesn't emulate a d-pad. It'd actually be a great facsimile of how you control an arcade stick.

The real concern would be how the right disc could replace physical buttons. But the positive platformer impressions leave me optimistic that it could be a great alternative.

Salsa

I love fighting games yet ive barely played KOFXII for some reason. I guess im still hooked on Skullgirls and its hard to go back and forth

In retrospect I don't know if that thread was funny or sad.

That's how it worked for SMB and Spelunky according to Refenes. In case of the latter they also emulated face button placement on the other pad. But there's still room for improvement.

Clawww

In retrospect I don't know if that thread was funny or sad.

That's how it worked for SMB and Spelunky according to Refenes. In case of the latter they also emulated face button placement on the other pad. But there's still room for improvement.

It was definitely sad. Probably one of the worst threads I've been involved in since I joined GAF, lol.

alstein

I love fighting games yet ive barely played KOFXII for some reason. I guess im still hooked on Skullgirls and its hard to go back and forth

The two games reward vastly different skillsets. I'd recommend Skullgirls over KOF for newer players- vastly better netcode, and gameplay that is much more friendly to newer players (though both games can be slaugherfests)

There's also Divekick, but I think most folks have forgotten about that one by now- the joke's kinda worn out.

Li Kao

Nice, I really liked what I played of the demo. Picked it up.

Ugh, no way to download the demo anymore. Well, I looked on the official site, desura, steam, google search and a dead link in RPS.
Ok Paradox, if you insist on me waiting a little more before buying, ok, no problem.

Turfster

Daily: 3DMark 66% off
Weeklies:
  • Governor of Poker 2 75% off
  • Worms Revolution 50% off
  • Teleglitch 75% off
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas 75% off
  • Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded 40% off
  • MX vs ATV Reflex 80% off
  • Flatout Complete Pack 75% off (1-3+Ultimate Carnage)
  • 4 elements 85% off
  • Movie Edit Pro 33% off
  • Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood 75% off
  • Betrayer 33% off
  • Cobra Complete Pack 60% off (iBomber Attack, iBomber Defense, iBomber Defense Pacific, Storm in a Teacup)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I love that Weeklies are now automatically updated. It was hell having to stay up another ~half hour as Valve slowly got around to changing them manually.

Edit: For fellow hoarders, Governor of Poker 2 and Governor of Poker 2: Premium Edition are separate apps.

are the flatout games anything like the old demolition racer games? demo: no exit for dreamcast was awesome.

what's the best flatout game in the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom