• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way install mods on the Mac version of System Shock 2? When I go into Steam/Steamapps/common/SS2 I don't see the datapermmods folder. I have SS2 modded on my Bootcamp drive, but instead of booting into Windows 7 every time to play, it would be nice to have it on the Mac side.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, that's what I mean -- you can buy the game through someone on Steam who's offering it in exchange for TF2/Dota 2 keys or PayPal bucks.

Hahahaha. I thought you did. Sorry I'm a little slow in the head today (more so than usual) and I switching between 2 computers with only 1 mouse between them. Right flipping pain.

Ledsen

Call me when they get affordable 1 TB SSD's, for now i can't be bothered with fast startup times as I rarely turn off my PC (maybe once a month?).

BOOOOOM!!!

You think SSDs are primarily about startup times? Dude, your mind will be blown.

derExperte

Call me when they get affordable 1 TB SSD's, for now i can't be bothered with fast startup times as I rarely turn off my PC (maybe once a month?).

BOOOOOM!!!

It's not only the boot time. I can't imagine using a computer without an SSD anymore, even simple internet browsing feels faster. Was one of the best and in day-to-day use most noticeable upgrades ever in my 20 years of using a PC.

Milamber

You think SSDs are primarily about startup times? Dude, your mind will be blown.
It's not only the boot time. I can't imagine using a PC without an SSD anymore, even simple internet browsing feels faster.
Oh I know that everything on that SSD will be fast. It's just that I can't justify current SSD sizes with their prices to make it feasible as I got a lot of stuff that I like keeping on system drive to even fit.

Using an SSD for Windows is a very worthwhile upgrade regardless of how the rest of your system fares -- everything is much, much snappier. I had to briefly go back to using a HDD for Windows and it was torture.

Pretty much this. You're practically forced to upgrade every computer in your household with an SSD unless you only plan on using one.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Can you show me a screenshot in game for the multiplayer?

Haven't been on neogaf since I've been haven't been home in a couple days but I after actually set up my fov for sp and learned that I had to bind it to a key(which is retarded btw), I was wrong about the multiplayer FOV. After researching turns out the devs locked the FoV to keep the multiplayer balanced or some crap.

Default multiplayer FoV does seems a lil better than SP default FoV though. Posting this assuming you still care or maybe don't already know :p

Freezard

I just have 1 TB HDD space cause I've been too lazy to get more and I've been waiting for a SSD purchase. But in all hoensty I think I'm just a cleaning masochist since I hate to have things on my HDDs that I'm not using so I'm deleting stuff all the time.

That said, when games start being 50 GB I think it's time to upgrade >_<

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That bloody Build a Greenlight Bundle. How many times must it taunt me as being the one I didn't buy?

Towns releasing on Steam at $15 after I missed the Indie Royale(?) bundle it was included in some months earlier is what compelled to me purchase every bundle that includes at least one Greenlight game. I've missed one here and there but I've avoided nasty surprises for the most part.

Copons

Talking about SSD, as I don't have one, I don't really understand how one should set it up.

Like, you install on it the OS alone and then everything else (including the Steam library that could easily fill up every SSD in the world) on the HDD?
Or, like, one should choose to install the most used apps on the SSD too?
Is it possible to change the install location of some Steam games only, while leaving all the other on the HDD?

And in case of a hybrid drive (like the one in the Steam Machine prototype), where SSD partition is too small to contain two OS, what is the best course of action there (aside buying another SSD of course).

Twinduct

Just a quick question regarding upgrades (can't find that other spec thread).

I've decided against becoming an early adopter with this new set of consoles, in fact the Wii U was the first console I haven't bought day 1 & the HD Twins will be the casualty of my new decision.

I've been spreading myself too thin with trying to game on every platform I own or always trying to be on the forefront of the 'new' experience with releases. So instead I've decided to scale back my idea of gaming to only the current platforms I own (Got a backlog of crazy proportions on each platform already).

So on to my question, would it be worth upgrading from the 580 at this stage?
I'm not a 120 refresh rate, 60 fps min kind of person. I also don't mind gaming with zero AA settings.

In fact all I want from my games is all the pretty thrills (IQ be damned) with a stable framerate.

If I should upgrade, would something like the 7970/R9 280 be a decent enough jump?

So on to my question, would it be worth upgrading from the 580 at this stage?
I'm not a 120 refresh rate, 60 fps min kind of person. I also don't mind gaming with zero AA settings.

My advice is to wait until there is something you want to play and you can't play it. For a start I wouldn't worry about these so called recommended specs. Remember the games referenced have 360 and PS3 versions and they are not new engines. It'll all scale nicely.

A year or two down the track you'll really start to feel it if you stick with AAA. But by then hardware will be cheaper, any games you missed will be $5 on steam and you can pick up something with the bang for buck to smash the rest of the generation.

At least that is my plan. I'm quite happy to play on medium if I have to do so.

derExperte

Talking about SSD, as I don't have one, I don't really understand how one should set it up.

Like, you install on it the OS alone and then everything else (including the Steam library that could easily fill up every SSD in the world) on the HDD?
Is it possible to change the install location of some Steam games only, while leaving all the other on the HDD?

And in case of a hybrid drive (like the one in the Steam Machine prototype), where SSD partition is too small to contain two OS, what is the best course of action there (aside buying another SSD of course).

A hybrid drive uses the SSD part to cache data, you don't install anything there yourself.

For the rest: OS and every normal program I use daily goes on there. Steam plus 95% of the games on my normal hard drive and then I install some on my SSD when I think faster load times make a difference (and it's possible without using some external tools, too lazy for that). BF4 goes on the SSD for example.

Twinduct

My advice is to wait until there is something you want to play and you can't play it. For a start I wouldn't worry about these so called recommended specs. Remember the games referenced have 360 and PS3 versions and they are not new engines. It'll all scale nicely.

A year or two down the track you'll really start to feel it if you stick with AAA. But by then hardware will be cheaper, any games you missed will be $5 on steam and you can pick up something with the bang for buck to smash the rest of the generation.

At least that is my plan.

That's actually not a bad idea. I think I just wanted to psychologically feel like I'm still getting something new, if not a platform.

As it stands now the only game I actually own that I find annoying is Rome 2 .. but I think the game itself is just horribly optimized.

Copons

A hybrid drive uses the SSD part to cache data, you don't install anything there yourself.

For the rest: OS and every normal program I use daily goes on there. Steam plus 95% of the games on my normal hard drive and then I install some on my SSD when I think faster load times make a difference (and it's possible without using some external tools, too lazy for that). BF4 goes on the SSD for example.

Ah, thank you!
I always thought hybrids were just partitioned drives.

Ledsen

Things I keep on my SSD:

- Windows
- All programs
- Some Steam games (yes, you can choose to install on either SSD or HDD on install)

120 GB is more than enough for this, everything else (=Steam games) I keep on a 500 GB HDD.

JaseC

That was a fun read:

Dusting off and mounting its decade-old shooting series, Counter Strike, back on a giant pedestal with an &#8220;HD&#8221; refresh last year.

GO began life as a port of CS:S to consoles, but it's not an HD remake. That would be CS:S itself, which released not even 8 years prior to GO, as it was literally a remake of CS:CZ within the Source engine.

Ponying up for the rights to the &#8220;DOTA&#8221; trademark in order to refresh and re-release the popular online-battle game with very few gameplay or rule changes.

I'm not familiar enough with Dota to comment on the latter portion, however as a mod which Blizzard ignored for years, Valve didn't have to "pony up" anything for the rights -- it just hired Eul and later IceFrog.

But the only projects that Valve has released since early 2011 have revolved around play as a service; about games that focus on competition and connectivity.

Portal 2? I mean, I know the game has a store, but it was largely ignored by both Valve and players.

Edit: I'll concede that P2 may be implicitly included in "early 2011", but I wouldn't say a late-April release falls within that window as it's closer to the middle of the year.

Oh, and both eschew Steam so that they don&#8217;t have to give Valve a high-percentage cut of every sale, which means they almost certainly won&#8217;t work swimmingly with the Steam OS or Steam Machines or Steam Controller.

30% is not "high", unless you're comparing it to only the Humble Bundle store widget.

The boss who prioritizes grindy online games, fueled by addiction and micro-transactions, over artful advances in interactivity.

Disregarding his appraisal of the nature of Valve's online games, does the Steam Controller not possibly represent an "artful advance in interactivity"? Even assuming the comment is within the context of game design, Valve's last AAA single-player title was just two-and-a-half years ago, so all this doom-and-gloom talk seems rather premature.

Square still pushing out that 1996 tech with Pandemonium

$7 http://store.steampowered.com/app/243020/

I find it odd that Squeenix didn't bring both over at the same time. I also find it odd that, despite showing up in the registry months ago, Anachronox is poised to be the last of Squeenix's GOG games to be brought over.

Dr Dogg

Yeah the recent spec threads have caused pandemonium. In my experience even the minimum recommendations normal are generous to a degree. When Battlefield 3 had it's specs released it seamed like I'd have to have a complete system overhaul just to get it to run. Turns out that was far from the case and despite only having a 9800 GT an old 1st gen Core Duo and only 2gb of ram it ran perfectly well at mid settings.

As toddhunter said the best time to upgrade is when you can't run something that you're in the market for. Though we all like to get something shiny and new from time to time but you got to remember that PC components move at a much quicker rate of advancement than the depreciation of price of a console. Sometimes the time to upgrade and a price drop can nicely coincide with one another.

So it looks like the English version of Space Rangers HD is finally being released on Steam on October 17th.

Space Rangers & Space Rangers 2 were removed from Steam, GOG, and every other digital store about a year ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing SR2 when I had the chance. They offered a pretty unique game experience, combining a number of seemingly disparate genres, including rogue-like, turn-based strategy, RTS, and text adventure, wrapped in a loving package of (allegedly) deliberate quirky translation from the original Russian.

Or to put it another way: imagine a bizarro 2D turn-based Elite in which you play old-school text adventures to determine your time in prison after the cops or bounty hunters take you down.

One of the highlights of the games was the sheer freedom they allowed you to achieve your primary goal of battling the Dominators - or just forget about it and do something completely different. Like in this zany after-action report, for example:

Space Rangers 2: Arthur Stone and the Rusty Nail

Kieron Gillen's 9/10 review of the original Space Rangers for Eurogamer

So - these older games were pretty amazing but unfortunately also dated: for example, the resolution was mostly locked to 1024x768. Space Rangers HD is supposed to update and enhance the experience:

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart remasters and expands the world of the cult classic Space Rangers 2. The game is developed by the SNK-Games team in close cooperation with fans of the series.

The biggest of the improved features is a new scenario dedicated to the pirates threatening the galaxy. While the Coalition spends all of its resources to fight the Dominators (sentient machines who seek to eradicate all life), the pirates have united under the banner of a mysterious leader. Under this new master they have begun their own guerilla war to seize power in the weakened Galaxy. Players can now choose with whom to deal, the Dominators or the pirates, or both at the same time. If you choose the latter path, you will receive new story and side quests, new goals and promotions. After winning one of the wars, you can either finish the game or continue playing to win another.

Players begin their pirate career as the lowest of the low, and will make their way to the top of the pirate hierarchy, completing story missions and learning new information about the organization and its unknown leader whose actions threaten the very existence of the Coalition of sentient species. All player actions affect what kind of place the Galaxy will be at the end, with the victorious Coalition that managed to overcome its enemies or with a collapsed alliance from both external Dominator and internal pirate pressures.

The game has received a major technical overhaul in addition to the addition of new content. All of the main menu, loading screens, planet and space station vistas were reworked. Now you can choose a display resolution of up to 1920×1200 and planetary battles employ modern render technologies.

wooandindeedhoo: if you happen to be reading this, I suspect this game would be right up your street ;)

Anybody round here able to read Russian and check out the Russian Steam store and forums and see if they've managed to screw up this game?

Tenrius

wooandindeedhoo: if you happen to be reading this, I suspect this game would be right up your street ;)

Anybody round here able to read Russian and check out the Russian Steam store and forums and see if they've managed to screw up this game?

From what I understand, they did a pretty good job. It still seems somewhat buggy, but not overwhelmingly so and at least the developers are providing timely support in the community hub.

I actually have a friend who is a fan of the older games, he played 113 hours of the HD version in total since the summer sale, he is pretty happy with it.

So it looks like the English version of Space Rangers HD is finally being released on Steam on October 17th.

Space Rangers & Space Rangers 2 were removed from Steam, GOG, and every other digital store about a year ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing SR2 when I had the chance. They offered a pretty unique game experience, combining a number of seemingly disparate genres, including rogue-like, turn-based strategy, RTS, and text adventure, wrapped in a loving package of (allegedly) deliberate quirky translation from the original Russian.

Or to put it another way: imagine a bizarro 2D turn-based Elite in which you play old-school text adventures to determine your time in prison after the cops or bounty hunters take you down.

One of the highlights of the games was the sheer freedom they allowed you to achieve your primary goal of battling the Dominators - or just forget about it and do something completely different. Like in this zany after-action report, for example:

Space Rangers 2: Arthur Stone and the Rusty Nail

Kieron Gillen's 9/10 review of the original Space Rangers for Eurogamer

So - these older games were pretty amazing but unfortunately also dated: for example, the resolution was mostly locked to 1024x768. Space Rangers HD is supposed to update and enhance the experience:

You suspect correctly, my fine red dragon fellow! :)

Your post has sold me on the game so thanks for posting this. Added to my mental wishlist.

Hell, the screenshots sold me. Cute alien design plus game text that doesn't take itself too seriously = WIN for me :).

From what I understand, they did a pretty good job. It still seems somewhat buggy, but not overwhelmingly so and at least the developers are providing timely support in the community hub.

I actually have a friend who is a fan of the older games, he played 113 hours of the HD version in total since the summer sale, he is pretty happy with it.

Thanks, Tenrius, that does sound promising :)

You suspect correctly, my fine red dragon fellow! :)

Your post has sold me on the game so thanks for posting this. Added to my mental wishlist.

Hell, the screenshots sold me. Cute alien design plus game text that doesn't take itself too seriously = WIN for me :).

Always happy to lead you into temptation, my fine furry feline! :)

Hope you are enjoying your time with Waking Mars! (O backlog, why do you tease me so...)

I'm not familiar enough with Dota to comment on the latter portion, however as a mod which Blizzard ignored for years, Valve didn't have to "pony up" anything for the rights -- it just hired IceFrog and, a little later, Eul.
"Few rule changes" would be accurate. There are some differences and they're supposed to be intentional, as they're things the wc3 engine couldn't allow. There are some gameplay improvements, I would say some are pretty big (the shop, hero select aren't completely unusable, unintuitive pieces of crap. Lots of controls have been standardized. Lots of "unnecessary" improvements like chat wheel and the hat store. And then of course there is matchmaking just by itself is pretty big. There is their whole replay system and live viewing for pro games. Lots of other stuff.) but those aren't the main points you play dota I guess.

We don't know for sure but yeah it's unlikely valve paid anything. Blizzard really fucked that one up.

We don't know the timeline for sure, but I thought Eul had been there first before Icefrog.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Few rule changes" would be accurate. There are some differences and they're supposed to be intentional, as they're things the wc3 engine couldn't allow.

We don't know for sure but yeah it's unlikely valve paid anything. Blizzard really fucked that one up.

We don't know the timeline for sure, but I thought Eul had been there first before Icefrog.

I would hope that any sensible judge would see how stupid it would be for Blizzard to be paid for anything Dota ever.

People defending them and claiming Valve robbed them was always hilarious though.

Thanks, Tenrius, that does sound promising :)

Always happy to lead you into temptation, my fine furry feline! :)

Hope you are enjoying your time with Waking Mars! (O backlog, why do you tease me so...)

Get behind me Satan!

[I hear you're really good in the bedroom department]

I really did thanks [until I got 'stuck' near the end and couldn't work out where to go which was frustrating. It turned out to be due to me rather than the game though so I can't really complain about that.

The game was a pleasant surprise. I expected it to be a straight forward Metroidvania but the biomass mechanic and the way the story was told really elevated the game for me.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Musaic Box. A simple concept, simply executed but so fun and satisfying. It made me want to go back to learning the piano again.

Both of those were welcome playing experiences after Arkham Asylum left a nasty taste on my gaming palate. I'm still pondering why that was the case when after all I had heard about the game suggested I would love it.

I missed this news, but:

Are these weeklong deals going to be standard as a replacement for midweek madness/weekend deals or is this just an experiment with a different format?

JaseC

I missed this news, but:

Are these weeklong deals going to be standard as a replacement for midweek madness/weekend deals or is this just an experiment with a different format?

Weeklies have been running for months now and haven't replaced anything. The reason they only recently begun being featured in the spotlight is that until last week Valve had to update the deals manually; now, though, they change over automatically a la the Dailies.

The_Monk

Anyone in here getting The Wolf Among Us Day One? Just curious, I hope there's not going to be any saving game problems with the Saves like The Walking Dead did to some people, can't wait to read some impressions from GAFfers.

On a less important note, going to remove all my stitches from my second dentist surgery now, yaaaay ...

Tizoc

Pricing isn't mentioned on the Twitter account (unless I didn't scroll down far enough), however the RRP of the PS360 versions seems to be $40, so I'd guess $30 for the PC version.

Thanks, hope PSN Digital ver. will be of similar price point.
While I do have low expectations of it, I'll prob. enjoy it for the same reason I enjoyed Deadpool.

Weeklies have been running for months now and haven't replaced anything. The reason they're being featured in the spotlight only now is that until last week Valve had to update the deals manually; now, though, they change over automatically a la the Dailies.

Aha. I see then. Was just thrown off by it.

Addnan

I would love to get Wolf Among Us day 1, but seeing as how they put Walking Dead on sale by the time the second episode came out what's the point. They are just going to do the same.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in here getting The Wolf Among Us Day One? Just curious, I hope there's not going to be any saving game problems with the Saves like The Walking Dead did to some people, can't wait to read some impressions from GAFfers.

On a less important note, going to remove all my stitches from my second dentist surgery now, yaaaay ...
Dress me up in stitches, it's now or never. Dying to get my blood on you.

Good luck with that, Monk. Hope you're back to perfect health soon!

And no, I'm gonna wait until all episodes of TWAU are released, so I can play them all together in a single sitting.

Dr Dogg

I think I'm with Addnan on this. It looks great but seeing as TellTale have frequent sales I'm happy to wait. Though really looking forward to the impressions.

And I know how you feel. I had 4 wisdom teeth out at the same time last August and it was not a pleasant experience. Although I had dissolvable stitches having to swill my battered mouth out with salt washes for a month afterwards was not something likely to forget for a long time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery fellow Gaffer ;)

I remember one discussion with a guy saying the original DotA was a Blizzard property...
If you go solely by the blizzard custom games eula he'd be right. If you followed any bit of common sense he wouldn't be.

JaseC, it's a really fun, but complicated soap opera following all those characters through all the years and it gets pretty confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom