• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
Here's hoping I've got enough posts in this and the last thread to enter the Volgarr raffle. Something tells me I need it in my life.

EDIT: what's this about a Humble Capcom Bundle?! Holy shit, Chapter 15 incoming?

Looking forward to getting Res Evil 6 for almost free :p

Grief.exe

I started Call of Juarez this evening and am having a blast. The kb&m control scheme is giving me no end of trouble but I'm slowly improving and not dying quite so frequently now. Thank God for 'Easy' and even more for accidentally finding the Quick Save keyboard button!

Can you elaborate on the M/KB controls? I am interested in the game.

The "hey it has cards I think" bundle

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-99778165927953B9 - Taken by PartTimeWarrior

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
From following the development of DayZ, those banners are completely up to the publishers.

You contact Valve, you provide the banner, and you tell them when you would like it up.

I'm sure the amount of income something like BL2 has generated for Valve greases the wheels of the approval process.

Oh I didn't know that...I'll email my Steam person then, hah.

Can you elaborate on the M/KB controls? I am interested in the game.

Oh well they're only giving me trouble because I've only been gaming on a pc for the last four months or so :). The game doesn't allow a controller by default so it's either persevere with kb&m even though I have hardly any muscle memory with those or faff about with some app to force usage of a controller. I chose the former option on the easiest difficulty setting, partly to force myself to use kb&m to try and improve my ability with same. I'm sure a pc vet like you would have no trouble with them :). From what I can tell they seem to be quite standard for kb&m in a 3D game i.e. WASD for movement, R for reload, F to open doors/pick up objects, and so on.

EDIT - oh and it's the very first one I'm playing. I don't think there's a demo for that on Steam [I playing from a pc disc install] but there should be for the most recent one. This one doesn't have uPlay though so there is the advantage of that :). I am enjoying it so much though that I can easily see myself playing the whole series in the end.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
yup
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-8C37F1083C4610AE - Taken by Kirosia

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
this bundle: re6, dr2 otr, ssf4 ae, lp2, dr2, dmc4, re5, bc:rearmed

Sure, I'll take Biohazard 6 (despite it being shit), Dead Rising 2: Off the Record in Hopes that they patch out GfWL, give SSF4 to modbot (sorry, I'm waiting for the "all outfits"/Ultra-day-one-buyers benefit), maybe keep Lost Planet 2 depending on what Capcom does for GfWL, throw DR2 to Modbot (since he hasn't covered wars, YA KNOW?), take DMC4 willingly, and give BC:R and Bio5 to Modbot.

Now, if Capcom added their entire PC collection and Bio1-3 up... I'd probably buy two copies to give one away entirely to Modbot.

and give away both copies of Donte Must Cry.

Grief.exe

Oh I didn't know that...I'll email my Steam person then, hah.

Glad to be of help.

Oh well they're only giving me trouble because I've only been gaming on a pc for the last four months or so :). The game doesn't allow a controller by default so it's either persevere with kb&m even though I have hardly any muscle memory with those or faff about with some app to force usage of a controller. I chose the former option on the easiest difficulty setting, partly to force myself to use kb&m to try and improve my ability with same. I'm sure a pc vet like you would have no trouble with them :). From what I can tell they seem to be quite standard for kb&m in a 3D game i.e. WASD for movement, R for reload, F to open doors/pick up objects, and so on.

Oh OK, I understand now. We run into so many different issues with M/KB controls that are associated with bad console ports.

If you are new to KB/M I would suggest practicing on this site (mute the sound).
http://www.k2xl.com/games/reaction/shoot/

I used to play the majority of fps games on console and when I switched over I used that site to build muscle memory. I would use it for a couple mins before I went into a game.

I would suggest playing at Low sensitivity and use this guide to keep your sensitivity consistent between games.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=502848

You also need to turn off mouse acceleration in windows, but I can't link that to you right now.

Oh OK, I understand now. We run into so many different issues with M/KB controls that are associated with bad console ports.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of that so I apologise if I gave the wrong impression. I am painfully aware of my pc gaming noobness but I probably shouldn't expect everyone else to be! :)

If you are new to KB/M I would suggest practicing on this site (mute the sound).
http://www.k2xl.com/games/reaction/shoot/

I used to play the majority of fps games on console and when I switched over I used that site to build muscle memory. I would use it for a couple mins before I went into a game.

Thanks very much for the link but Opera suggests that it's a malicious site :/.

I would suggest playing at Low sensitivity and use this guide to keep your sensitivity consistent between games.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=502848

No such issue with that one though, ha!

You also need to turn off mouse acceleration in windows, but I can't link that to you right now.

Oh, I never knew that was an issue; I'll Google it, thanks :).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, damn, that Nordic games bundle is one Steam key. I was gonna give "The Guild 2" away. Fuck.

Dec

Incidentally, why is this an issue? Does it mess up aiming or something? [/pc gaming noob]

He explains it better on the site than I can.

With 'Enhance pointer precision' enabled, slower mouse movements make the pointer go extra slow and faster mouse movements make the pointer go extra fast. It is not linear and not straightline.

This is annoying, because where you are aiming at depends on how far you move your mouse, and also on how fast you moved the mouse to aim.

In summation: it ruins muscle memory. There are too many variables determining how far your mouse will move compared to how far you moved it physically that you will be less accurate with it enabled, even if you don't realize it.

Edit: Should also mention that windows enables it by default because it's actually a useful setting for photoshop and general pc usage. But it makes aiming in games worse because fast accuracy is key.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Yeah, XMP (U2 multiplayer) is actually pretty damn good, though I have no idea how active the community is nowadays. XMP was eventually ported to UT2k4 (the UTXMP mod), which is probably the superior option.

Worked with the guys on the UT2K4 conversion: http://www.moddb.com/mods/utxmp

Mod work got several of them jobs in the game industry, and one of the U2 original devs, Scott Dalton, has worked for Valve for many years, primarily developing levels for the various games.

Grief.exe

I should mention that the article doesn't discuss a PC version, but the classification entry doesn't mention platform at all.

We know from the registry a version of Enslaved is coming.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.ca/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Windows has a habit of turning mouse acceleration back on even after you disable it. This fixes it.

He explains it better on the site than I can.

In summation: it ruins muscle memory. There are too many variables determining how far your mouse will move compared to how far you moved it physically that you will be less accurate with it enabled, even if you don't realize it.

Edit: Should also mention that windows enables it by default because it's actually a useful setting for photoshop and general pc usage. But it makes aiming in games worse because fast accuracy is key.

I understand, thanks :). I'll definitely try this out; no need to make things unnecessarily hard for myself!

Phinor

This 'buying games with keys for cheap' is costing me more than I was using on Steam games before. Another win for Valve.

But at least I now own 3DMark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom