• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Need SteamGAFs oinion on these games:

Shoot Many Robots
Cliffs of Dover
Theatre of War
FaltOut 2
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
iBOMBER games
Necrovision

Are any of them any good? iBOMBER seems anythough way too mobile-like games.

Thanks, bought.

Shoot Many Robots is quite fun, extremely disposable but decent for a cheap price. Flatout Ultimate Carnage is brilliant and one of my favourite racing games this gen. It's basically an enhanced Flatout 2 but better. However, it uses GFWL so that's a minus.

The Necrovision games are fun, I have a soft spot for The Farm 51s janky shooters. It also has some of the worst voice acting in a FPS.

nexen

Shoot Many Robots
Cliffs of Dover
Theatre of War
FaltOut 2
iBOMBER games
Necrovision

Are any of them any good? iBOMBER seems anythough way too mobile-like games.

Thanks, bought.

If you like janky shooters Necrovision is worth a few dollars. It can get really intense.

I can't believe it's been so long! I still have my retail disk around here somewhere and was thinking of installing it a few months ago. We had a great time with Space Rangers 2 over on Eurogamer back in the day, lots of conversation and tips in the thread. Good times.
I hadn't realised it had been taken down a year ago but i'm glad there's a HD version on the way but i'll wait and see before i buy it as it's not by the original team.

SR2 truly was a jack-of-all-trades with so many different mission styles and most being short and sweet so they didn't drag too much. It's all coming back to me now, i'll try and post some decent impressions later on. I didn't play SR1 much as the follow up was not as clunky so i spent most time there.

tldr; Space Rangers 2 is an ace little game, give it a whirl. SR1 has dated a bit if i remember correctly.

I've just spent a couple of hours on the original & I have to agree with you about the clunkiness. I suspect that there's still fun to be had, but I think that I'm going to put it back on the virtual shelf and wait until the HD remake of the sequel arrives.

Hope you enjoy it! I almost forgot about that myself! It was unexpectedly in Indie Gala 7, which allowed me to grab a Steam key, even though the game was no longer on sale at that point. If only they'd offered the second game as well... I guess it is too much to hope for it to appear as a bonus in the new Groupees 1C Mega Bundle...

Yeah, would be great, but I really can't see it happening.

MaLDo

Everything.

Tell me what's good with the game and I'll say those are actually terrible.

I enjoyed from the first minute to the last. Just the minute until the last boss appears because I still can't defeat him. Graphically is awesome. Visually is orgasmic and difficulty (playing with gamepad) is perfect. Fluid, old school, lots of hidden secrets and riddled with hundreds of bloodthirsty enemies. 9/10

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually tried doing this but did it in your profile page, which gave me a neogaf-hosted version! Dang it.

If you right-click -> View Image, you'll get the image.php URL, but if you right-click -> Save Image As, you'll get the actual file name (although GAF Firefox doesn't like spaces, apparently: mine is sronan.jpg rather than sronan av 150.jpg).

Copons

If you right-click -> View Image, you'll get the image.php URL, but if you right-click -> Save Image As, you'll get the actual file name (although GAF doesn't like spaces, apparently: mine is sronan.jpg rather than sronan av 150.jpg).

Your image name actually works for me (Chrome on Win7).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I enjoyed from the first minute to the last. Just the minute until the last boss appears because I still can't defeat him. Graphically is awesome. Visually is orgasmic and difficulty (playing with gamepad) is perfect. Fluid, old school, lots of hidden secrets and riddled with hundreds of bloodthirsty enemies. 9/10

1) It's art style is ugly, repetitive, and at its worst is actually repulsive (thanks for the extra detail of the gaping vagina on the flying monster, Croteam).

2) It's fluid in the sense that you're a flying head weightlessly traversing bland and samey spaces.

3) Polio is old school and yet that doesn't inherently elevate it.

4) Difficulty can be hard to gauge in the game depending on the settings you roll with. If you give yourself infinite lives, it isn't very difficult. Regardless, monster closets aren't difficult: they're just tedious.

5) There is no value in finding the hidden secrets beyond traversing the same levels even more.

Cimarron

Thank hod for midweek madness! ASSCREED3 for 60% off was my sweet spot. I am about 2hrs in and I have yet to see the glitches and the stink. Too soon?

Acccent

Hard riddle + Desura key = low demand ;)

Yup, I'll use the same trick next time I gift a £20 Steam game to see who's paying attention.

I actually tried doing this but did it in your profile page, which gave me a neogaf-hosted version! Dang it.

Ah, that means it was at least solvable! good job :)

Anyway, now the riddle's solution has been given but no one claimed the gift still? Demand must be really low...

MB-776FF27B9D76A082 (Rkctr on Desura)

FloatOn

I still contend if you want to shoot thousands of things in an ugly engine EDF insect armageddon is the way to go.

Because: loot AND jetpacks

Ionic

I hold the opinion that the survival mode on the Death Canyon map in SS3 is the epitome of FPS timed survival gameplay. I still jump into that trying to beat my times.

Turfster

Thank hod for midweek madness! ASSCREED3 for 60% off was my sweet spot. I am about 2hrs in and I have yet to see the glitches and the stink. Too soon?
You... didn't see any glitches on the ship? And you enjoy being Douchebag McFuckwad (the tutorial guy)?

Also, man, the new Thiaf 'gameplay' trailer just makes me cry. I can't believe this is from the same people that brought us DX:HR...

Looks like Steam Card Exchange has a page for Steam's badges.

Nothing too interesting except that the Hardware Beta badge seems to have a hidden third level.

hwbeta03_80.png

Also, man, the new Thiaf 'gameplay' trailer just makes me cry. I can't believe this is from the same people that brought us DX:HR...
Believe it or not Human Revolution was pretty much just as bad coming from the first, I guess with its general kitchen sink design people are more lenient with expectations whereas Thief's expectations are laser focused.

Baha

Yup, I'll use the same trick next time I gift a £20 Steam game to see who's paying attention.

Anyway, now the riddle's solution has been given but no one claimed the gift still? Demand must be really low...

I sent Modbot a PM nearly an hr ago.

Aitor

I took the Rkctr key, thanks.
Sorry for the delay am at work went to a damn 1 hour and a half meeting.
Got 20 messages from Modbot 1 to 3 with the key.

Not sure if into Volgarr or not. It just feels soooo slow after playing Rogue Legacy for 20 hours in the past few weeks. And not like Castlevania 1 slow, more like... Sega MegaDrive slow. Like slow motion Ghosts and Goblins. Still, getting hang of it and getting past most of a level easily was rather fun and rewarding and did some cool tricks too.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I still contend if you want to shoot thousands of things in an ugly engine EDF insect armageddon is the way to go.

Because: loot AND jetpacks

Absolutely not. Insect Armageddon is OK at best but I'd take Serious Sam 3 over it any fuckin day.

EDF4 on the other hand.......

Turfster

Believe it or not Human Revolution was pretty much just as bad coming from the first, I guess with its general kitchen sink design people are more lenient with expectations whereas Thief's expectations are laser focused.
Eh, I'll give you that it was a bit of a step down from the first one, but at least you could still pretty much play DX:HR how you wanted to play it (ignoring the stupid boss fights). Also, it had non-contextual jumping.
This looks like it has Uncharted level Michael Bay ohnoeseverythingisfallingapart "dramatic" scenes and guards that... recognise you (what the fuck?), both of which are just... no. Coupled with the uninspired voice acting and the matrix "shoot 3 dudes in the head with arrows at the same time!!!!111oneoneone" drek from the other trailer, I'm pretty much done.

Wut, Im totally voting and it's not working?

I'll have to register first?

This is what happened for me:

I logged into my GMG account, started voting, got seriously pissed off with the glitchy "whoops we have a problem with out internets because we have a shitty website with needlessly poncey voting pages that are putting too much load on our asstastic servers", decided to give up on the voting when it wouldn't accept by vote for Steam for the best platform [besides, any vote that doesn't let me vote for FTL for game of the year doesn't deserve my time and energy] only for it bork and not accept my votes. Several times. Go to email and click the link to vote only to be told that I have to sign in or join the shitty CVG site.

After a walk to burn off some of the irritation [not helped by GAF being borked also; I was soooo close to sending a stroppy email to GAF, demanding a partial refund on my NeoGAF Gold sub] I might try again now. If it doesn't work first time however then they can just fuck off. It's not worth all this hassle just for a free copy of M2 which will just sit in my backlog anyway.

Not sure if into Volgarr or not. It just feels soooo slow after playing Rogue Legacy for 20 hours in the past few weeks. And not like Castlevania 1 slow, more like... Sega MegaDrive slow. Like slow motion Ghosts and Goblins. Still, getting hang of it and getting past most of a level easily was rather fun and rewarding and did some cool tricks too.

It's about ten times better than Rogue Legacy though. Stick with it, you'll find the groove.

Li Kao

Oh well they're only giving me trouble because I've only been gaming on a pc for the last four months or so :). The game doesn't allow a controller by default so it's either persevere with kb&m even though I have hardly any muscle memory with those or faff about with some app to force usage of a controller. I chose the former option on the easiest difficulty setting, partly to force myself to use kb&m to try and improve my ability with same. I'm sure a pc vet like you would have no trouble with them :). From what I can tell they seem to be quite standard for kb&m in a 3D game i.e. WASD for movement, R for reload, F to open doors/pick up objects, and so on.

EDIT - oh and it's the very first one I'm playing. I don't think there's a demo for that on Steam [I playing from a pc disc install] but there should be for the most recent one. This one doesn't have uPlay though so there is the advantage of that :). I am enjoying it so much though that I can easily see myself playing the whole series in the end.

Hey, you are trying to adapt to kb+m control and I'm trying to be a good boy and finally learn wasd in place of arrow control :)
Not totally satisfying so far, and I wonder if I even can be really good at it : I'm getting used to wasd with far less problem than I thought, but dear god in heaven, my fucking pinky is all over the place. So in a nervous fps that means "you wanted to run here ? Klolbyeloser, enjoy your capslock/left ctrl/whatever".
In Shadow Warrior it could be super annoying during an intense fight.

Accoun

FaltOut 2

As already said, Ultimate Carnage is more of a new version of FlatOut 2, rather than the sequel. Stil, it's awesome. Funfunfun!

Also, if you haven't played FlatOut1, I strongly recommend it. Maybe it's less polished, but I remember it having a bit different driving model (IIRC kinda less "typical arcade", which I preferred. On the other hand, there are people who like the new one more) and better soundtrack (I think the smaller, even unsigned, garage bands fitted more than the big ones from the sequels).

Finally got into the Family Sharing beta, is there a GAF thread for it, and if not, how do I actually allow others to play games in my library?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey, Jase. Lemme tell you a secret: Firefox sucks!

I like Chrome in general but I simply can't stand Google's insistence on including search phrases among address bar suggestions in lieu of more history items. It's a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

louiedog

Steam Family Sharing is terrible. I wasn't allowed to play anything last night because my girlfriend discovered Cook, Serve, Delicious in my library from her account on her laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom