• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I'll give you that it was a bit of a step down from the first one, but at least you could still pretty much play DX:HR how you wanted to play it (ignoring the stupid boss fights). Also, it had non-contextual jumping.
This looks like it has Uncharted level Michael Bay ohnoeseverythingisfallingapart "dramatic" scenes and guards that... recognise you (what the fuck?), both of which are just... no. Coupled with the uninspired voice acting and the matrix "shoot 3 dudes in the head with arrows at the same time!!!!111oneoneone" drek from the other trailer, I'm pretty much done.
I was gonna say "at least Thief probably won't have contextual melee", but looking at the latest gameplay footage any blackjack finesse was thrown out in favour of a "takedown" prompt when you're behind someone. Yeah, it looks pretty bad. Stealth's gone the way of survival horror.

I have fun with serious sam.

I just don't care enough to defend it here.
Ditto, but they're really one and done experiences. Any attempt I've made at replaying them has been difficult, so in that sense I can't really refute criticisms.

What control scheme are people using for CSD? I can't seem to get comfortable with just the keyboard so I'm using numbers for the orders and the mouse for everything else (other than dishes/garbage).

Will this bite me later on?

Tellaerin

Shit Trine 2 was snatched away from me? No worries, can't really complain about losing a game I didn't buy :p

Round 2, fight!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-5ECD08A1477D6CCB - Taken by Accoun

Storm360

What control scheme are people using for CSD? I can't seem to get comfortable with just the keyboard so I'm using numbers for the orders and the mouse for everything else (other than dishes/garbage).

Will this bite me later on?

I'm just using the keyboard, some key binds throw me though

Hey, you are trying to adapt to kb+m control and I'm trying to be a good boy and finally learn wasd in place of arrow control :)
Not totally satisfying so far, and I wonder if I even can be really good at it : I'm getting used to wasd with far less problem than I thought, but dear god in heaven, my fucking pinky is all over the place. So in a nervous fps that means "you wanted to run here ? Klolbyeloser, enjoy your capslock/left ctrl/whatever".
In Shadow Warrior it could be super annoying during an intense fight.

Ha! I share your pain :). As in I really do share your pain since I just played an episode in Call of Juarez where Billy the whiny little kid had to do a mass of sneaking around. My poor little pinky finger has never been abused so much. It must have thought I was Steve Davis after he'd won the world championship of snooker. Sorry Steve, sticking your pinky finger out when you take a sip of water does not make you posh.

Oh and Billy the whiny little kid is rubbish at sneaking. How can you grow up in that environment and be rubbish at sneaking? smh

Oh [again] the Golden Joysticks bollox was still borked for me when I tried again so fuck'em. It's just life's way of telling me to stay true to my decision.

Bollox :(.

Good luck with learning WASD :). I shall think of you the next time I have a brain freeze in a stressful situation and my fingers don't know where to go or press the wrong key. Much empathetic chuckling shall be had! :)

r3n4ud

Shadow Warrior is good ol' fashion fun, but shit does it make me nauseous and gives me a headache :/

Most fps's do, but this one takess the cake. FOV is at 90, but makes no difference. I love fps's but not what they do to me...

Accoun

Nice. I'm curious about CSD. Hearing nice words about it here.

Nymphae, don't hate me, plz. ;-) And thank you,Tellaerin.

[EDIT]
By the way, is it normal that I don't see "Accoun now owns XXXXX" in my activity feed at all? Is there an option for that I might have unchecked and forgotten about?

Dec

Ha! I share your pain :). As in I really do share your pain since I just played an episode in Call of Juarez where Billy the whiny little kid had to do a mass of sneaking around. My poor little pinky finger has never been abused so much. It must have thought I was Steve Davis after he'd won the world championship of snooker. Sorry Steve, sticking your pinky finger out when you take a sip of water does not make you posh.

Oh and Billy the whiny little kid is rubbish at sneaking. How can you grow up in that environment and be rubbish at sneaking? smh

Oh [again] the Golden Joysticks bollox was still borked for me when I tried again so fuck'em. It's just life's way of telling me to stay true to my decision.

Bollox :(.

Good luck with learning WASD :). I shall think of you the next time I have a brain freeze in a stressful situation and my fingers don't know where to go or press the wrong key. Much empathetic chuckling shall be had! :)

pinky -> shift, A, W, D, space <- thumb

Eventually it's second nature. My hand rests on those keys when I'm just reading gaf.

derExperte

[EDIT]
By the way, is it normal that I don't see "Accoun now owns XXXXX" in my activity feed at all? Is there an option for that I might have unchecked and forgotten about?

Don't forget you only see games you bought directly through Steam there.

Tellaerin

So I'm looking at the Retro City Rampage page just now, and I see this:

GAME FEATURES

Includes BOTH the DRM-Free game and your choice of a Steam Key (click here to get) -or- GOG Key (click here to get).

The DRM-free game and a GOG key? Isn't that... um... a little redundant? ^^;

jediyoshi

Hmm... Makes sense. Do gifted games count as well? I think I saw someone saying he got the game from his friend in comments under his "now owns" entry about it.

Yep, gifted games activated from the inventory will show up in the activity feed/friends recently bought section.

Dec

I kind of hate the windows start bar. It drops the fps of anything near it.

Having a game in a browser open and touching the start bar = 20-30 fps

manually making the browser window end just two centimeters before the start bar = 60 fps

making game fullscreen = 60 fps

autohiding start bar = 60 fps until you bring it up again, then 20-30.

Is there a trick to getting it cheap, or did you just have to put on a blonde wig and affect an Irish accent?

:eek: Joe Molotov says that JaseC gives sexual favours for cheap!

That's libel Jase; I would sue if I were you!

pinky -> shift, A, W, D, space <- thumb

Eventually it's second nature. My hand rests on those keys when I'm just reading gaf.

Thanks :). Yes that's what I'm doing. I just played some more and noticed that my finger accuracy and speed has noticably improved in just 24 hours. Although accidentally hitting some sort of debugging key [I assume] which freezes my character and types characters on the screen until I notice is not terribly helpful when in a gunfight!

However, shooting sinahs in slow motion IN THE FACE is terribly enjoyable in this game. I've never played a Max Payne game. Perhaps I should give them a try.

Tenrius

Let's talk Thief Gold. Is this modding guide accurate? I want three things: working cinematics (they don't work at all out of the box), widescreen 1080p + possibly some AA, bugfixes. What's the best way to go about it?

Turfster

Let's talk Thief Gold. Is this modding guide accurate? I want three things: working cinematics (they don't work at all out of the box), widescreen 1080p + possibly some AA, bugfixes. What's the best way to go about it?

I pretty much just downloaded TFix from ttlg, installed it and I was good to go. I didn't try to run any extra mods or whatever tho, apart from the ones that were included with TFix.

Kifimbo

Midweek update. Let me know if I missed anything new.

10/07/2013 - Salvation Prophecy - Action - Firedance Games/Firedance Games - $XX.XX
10/07/2013 - Chainsaw Warrior - Board game - Auroch Digital/Auroch Digital - $XX.XX
10/07/2013 - Pandemonium - Platformer - Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics - $XX.XX
10/08/2013 - Gravi - Platformer - Hashbang Games/Hashbang Games - $XX.XX
10/09/2013 - Escape Goat - Platformer - Magical Time Bean/Magical Time Bean - $XX.XX
10/17/2013 - Bad Hotel - Tower defense/Music - Lucky Frame/Lucky Frame - $XX.XX
10/17/2013 - Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - Space simulation - 1C Company/SNK-Games - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Master Reboot - Puzzle/Adventure - Wales Interactive/Wales Interactive - $XX.XX
2013 - Hive - Board game - Blueline Games/Blueline Games - $XX.XX
2013 - Luxuria Superbia - Adventure - Tale Of Tales/Tale Of Tales - $XX.XX
2013 - Soundodger+ - Bullet hell/Music - Adult Swim Games/Studio Bean - $XX.XX
2014 - PULSAR: Lost Colony - Ship simulation - Leafy Games/Leafy Games - $XX.XX
2014 - River City Ransom: Underground - Action - Conatus Creative/Conatus Creative - $XX.XX
2014 - Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - Action - Tecmo Koei America/Spark Unlimited - $XX.XX
TBA - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Adventure - Phoenix Online/Pinkerton Road - $XX.XX

More Dark Souls Impressions

Still really digging it while laughing at the dumb deaths I usually have a part in causing (some rat knocked me off a building to my death and also their own since they followed me).

Saw the dragon, did the thing to get the sword (knew about that eons ago and its in the same league with the "just block" response for a certain area in Ninja Gaiden 2), approached him for the hell of it and got fried lol.

Now I'm the gate, cheesed some armored pig, fought some knights, then fought a particular knight who killed me in one shot with a move that looks similar to a backstab (but it was from the front) and I'm dead with no new bonfire. :(

With all of that in mind I have a game plan now, and not a lot of games forces me to do that, also I'm really digging how careful I'm now since even the fucking scrubs can give you a hard time if you let them. Plus on that subject its funny seeing how similar they are you when fighting (using strong and weak attacks, shields, "jump back" dodging, healing, and now some counter move).

Will try to continue this when I can.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the art style in SS3 either, I'm so sick of the eternal Egypt theme. I still like the game though even though it introduced many things that shouldn't exist in the Serious Sam games (sprinting, reloading, stealth missions, too much running around in small interiors, big fat melee hammer that makes you feel nauseous when using it). Hopefully they'll go back to the roots in SS4.

It seems you guys haven't played SS2 though because that game is awful, a lot worse than SS3. As a fan I couldn't even stand a playthrough.
I bought the franchise pack because a friend had been bothering me for quite a while to play SS2. Played TFE Classic and liked it, but then I got bored at the 3rd level of TSE Classic. It was the same mindless shooting all over again, and it got old.

I then played the first few levels of SS3 in splitscreen co-op with my cousin, and it was pretty terrible. Maybe it was because of the smaller screen size, but it was very hard to see and distinguish anything. The level design was a confusing mess, and the sewer level is a good candidate for my Worst Level of Any Game Award. It simply wasn't fun to play.

Oh, and the art style? Pitch black passageways and gray cities. After my (short) time with it, I only have but one question in my head: Seriously, Sam?

Khronico

Got some Teleglitch time in last night (courtesy of toddhunter =P). Most intense 30 minutes of gaming I've had in a long while. JEEZ. It's like Doom, Hotline Miami, and Survival Horror all in one gloriously low res, chromatic aberration filled package. BUY IT PEOPLE.

Now I'm the gate, cheesed some armored pig, fought some knights, then fought a particular knight who killed me in one shot with a move that looks similar to a backstab (but it was from the front) and I'm dead with no new bonfire. :(

You would have got parried. When those knights hold up their sword in a defensive stance you shouldn't attack. Just use something ranged or bait them into going for you again (and parry them back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom