• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

You would have got parried. When those knights hold up their sword in a defensive stance you shouldn't attack. Just use something ranged or bait them into going for you again (and parry them back)

Or just kick them for being so goddamned insolent! Fighting back is treason.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Midweek update. Let me know if I missed anything new.

10/07/2013 - Salvation Prophecy - Action - Firedance Games/Firedance Games - $XX.XX
10/07/2013 - Chainsaw Warrior - Board game - Auroch Digital/Auroch Digital - $XX.XX
10/07/2013 - Pandemonium - Platformer - Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics - $XX.XX
10/08/2013 - Gravi - Platformer - Hashbang Games/Hashbang Games - $XX.XX
10/09/2013 - Escape Goat - Platformer - Magical Time Bean/Magical Time Bean - $XX.XX
10/17/2013 - Bad Hotel - Tower defense/Music - Lucky Frame/Lucky Frame - $XX.XX
10/17/2013 - Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - Space simulation - 1C Company/SNK-Games - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Master Reboot - Puzzle/Adventure - Wales Interactive/Wales Interactive - $XX.XX
2013 - Hive - Board game - Blueline Games/Blueline Games - $XX.XX
2013 - Luxuria Superbia - Adventure - Tale Of Tales/Tale Of Tales - $XX.XX
2013 - Soundodger+ - Bullet hell/Music - Adult Swim Games/Studio Bean - $XX.XX
2014 - PULSAR: Lost Colony - Ship simulation - Leafy Games/Leafy Games - $XX.XX
2014 - River City Ransom: Underground - Action - Conatus Creative/Conatus Creative - $XX.XX
2014 - Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - Action - Tecmo Koei America/Spark Unlimited - $XX.XX
TBA - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Adventure - Phoenix Online/Pinkerton Road - $XX.XX
Naruto is on the 25th, and I'll probably complain about it being shallow and then buy it anyway because it's a fighting game on the PC.

Freezard

I bought the franchise pack because a friend had been bothering me for quite a while to play SS2. Played TFE Classic and liked it, but then I got bored at the 3rd level of TSE Classic. It was the same mindless shooting all over again, and it got old.

The third level is the worst in TFE ~_~ I don't see any reason to play classic anymore though, the HD remakes are superior in every way (except demo playback). I just love the graphics and art in those games (and glitches).

FloatOn

I'd buy naruto because I dig cell shaded graphics and fighting games...

but it has the unfortunate condition of being anime bullshit so I'll pass.

Dec

I kind of hate the windows start bar. It drops the fps of anything near it.

Having a game in a browser open and touching the start bar = 20-30 fps

manually making the browser window end just two centimeters before the start bar = 60 fps

making game fullscreen = 60 fps

autohiding start bar = 60 fps until you bring it up again, then 20-30.

Quoting myself to say I finally fixed this. There is a small program called 7+ Taskbar Tweaker that will disable anything you want.

I tried registry editing and tons of other over the past year but this finally worked. You can disable every single hover feature of windows 7+8, no thumbnail, no list, no little balloon for tab names that are too long to show fully in the bar itself.

As far as I can see those hover features (even if they are actually up or not) will kill the fps of games touching them. Similar to the way Skype will shit up frame rates when it pops up a notification over a borderless fullscreen game, but all the time.

Side note: Don't use Skype, it's bad.

Nice I didn't know River City Ransom Underground got it's ks fulfilled.

69e39b031caf6ae4125b39ab3276d8d3_large.gif

jediyoshi

Quoting myself to say I finally fixed this. There is a small program called 7+ Taskbar Tweaker that will disable anything you want.

I tried registry editing and tons of other over the past year but this finally worked. You can disable every single hover feature of windows 7+8, no thumbnail, no list, no little balloon for tab names that are too long to show fully in the bar itself.

To be fair, a lot of these are just in Window's Performance Options :p

Kacho

CSD is surprisingly good. Trying to get that perfect day. My highest chain right now is 30. Really digging the menu music too.

Copons

The LTTP Dark Souls' Adventure of Copons S01E08

Do you remember that time I killed Havel and I was super happy and super smartass and shit.
Eh. Good for you, because it seems like ten years ago in my funny holiday in Lordran.

(Spoilers on Undead Asylum, Darkroot Basin and Blighttown)
After that I cleaned the Asylum and Darkroot Basin and now I'm kinda stuck in the swamp beneath Blighttown.

In the Asylum I noticed one thing that completely flew over my head while playing.
Before, I thought knights were just random occasional guys put around to spice things up. But there, I found two of them one after the other and suddenly I realized that they aren't just minibosses but eventually they're going to be common enemies. Oh. Come. On.
Also, the main boss there was a total pain in the ass, because for the first five hundreds or so tries, I didn't understand the actual radius of its AOE attack (the fire wave fart or something) and everytime it oneshotted me in a couple of seconds into the fight. Once noticed that you have to be behind him but kinda far away from him to avoid it, it was easy peasy.

In Darkroot Basin I killed the hydra (falling in the... uh... ledge in the middle of the lake, like ten thousands times) and the golden golem guy in the back of the lake. All standard job for me at this point.
Cool surprise: inside the golem there was a cute gal. She totally seems into me, I'm gonna ask her out one of these days.

And finally, full with antipoison and antitoxin moss, I decided it was time to try again Blighttown.
On my way to the bonfire, I died like ten times between falling off the floors and being intoxicated by fucking invisible darts. Also, the first time I got intoxicated, I don't know why the blooming moss didn't work at all, I panicked and I fell off somewhere, so it counts as double combo death.

Now I found my way down to the swamp, between spiders and mosquitoes. Easy enemies, except once when I got attacked by 2 spiders and 2 mosquitoes and I didn't have time to switch between the halberd and the bow, so I got poisoned and I managed to save myself with just one tick of life left.
Finally, I tried to cross the mud and I found out it's fucking poisonous. Holy shit, DS, will you ever stop to fuck with me?

Highlight of the day: my cat suddenly started to mimick me while playing. I dunno really how to describe it... she stood up in front of me trying to push the triggers of my pad, then doing a scared look, meowing and running away. It was like a reaction video of me (but more furry) playing DS.
All in all it was funny. So funny, it led me to die somewhere. Thank you cat, eh.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yup, thats Dark Souls.

I swear half the fun of this game is beating it and then reading other people playing it for the first time. lol

Dec

To be fair, a lot of these are just in Window's Performance Options :p

They aren't. You can disable thumbnails easily, lists with registry edits, and tooltips I couldn't find.

I've used Performance options to disable fading right click menus because they have a tendency to get stuck all the time and require a resolution change to get rid of, but the options I needed are not there.

derExperte

They aren't. You can disable thumbnails easily, lists with registry edits, and tooltips I couldn't find.

I've used Performance options to disable fading right click menus because they have a tendency to get stuck all the time and require a resolution change to get rid of, but the options I needed are not there.

This (and the slowdowns) sounds more like a problem on your end, never had something like that.

FloatOn

Copons, I love your Dark Souls stories.

I think the guy under the first bell you rang sells the poison bite ring which will help with the poison resist but it's expensive.

I would just wear the ninja gear you got in undead burg before you fought Capra Demon.

Dec

This (and the slowdowns) sounds more like a problem on your end, never had something like that.

It isn't. Happens on multiple computers.

default:
iZcCPCsSBfhLT.png

list:
iSfbHZemcG0G2.png

tooltip:
ictcgUCA1UbMz.png

There are dozens of google results for people wanting to get rid of these. The common answer is if you use Aero, you can't. Just wanted to share a program I found that allows it easily while still keeping Aero. Even if you don't get the slowdown (which I've seen on many PCs and support sites) this is still useful.

Edit: As for the menus getting stuck - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+right+click+menu+getting+stuck

Copons

Copons, I love your Dark Souls stories.

I think the guy under the first bell you rang sells the poison bite ring which will help with the poison resist but it's expensive.

I would just wear the ninja gear you got in undead burg before you fought Capra Demon.

:*

I think you're talking about the Thief set, but in Blighttown itself I found the Shadow set, that seems to be more poison (and bleed) resistant.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But if you read my first sentence

all your points are pointless, because is the most important thing of all.

Yes, but I said:

Everything.

Tell me what's good with the game and I'll say those are actually terrible.

So, while you can of course personally enjoy something immensely, that's not something that can be chalked up as a reason something is inherently good. We don't accept "Morningbus hates this" as a fault of the game, so we can't accept the opposite.

Serious Sam 3 has 83 in metacritic users ratio. It's a very very good average for an horrible game.

Argumentum ad populum. Regardless, I would make the argument that Serious Sam is rated so highly because many people are lured in and blinded by its promise of "retro" gameplay. Revelations 2012 is actually a very, very similar game to Serious Sam, but lacks the lineage and marketing and is routinely the butt of jokes from people all across the internet. As an aside, I actually preferred my time with Revelations 2012 over Serious Sam 3.

Ugly art style?. Nonononono.

Of course subjective, but no other engine and game gets as much of a free pass as Serious Sam. Character models are hideous, everything looks wet, and even if you change the colors over to vibrant the environments look washed out (which is exacerbated by the fact that the vast majority of the levels look identical).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The third level is the worst in TFE ~_~ I don't see any reason to play classic anymore though, the HD remakes are superior in every way (except demo playback). I just love the graphics and art in those games (and glitches).
Because I always like to experience games how they were first made, as vanilla as possible. On subsequent playthroughs I may use mods (though I rarely do so, if ever) or, in this case, play the remastered/upgraded version, but not on my first time. Provided I own the original version, of course.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I don't like the art style in SS3 either, I'm so sick of the eternal Egypt theme. I still like the game though even though it introduced many things that shouldn't exist in the Serious Sam games (sprinting, reloading, stealth missions, too much running around in small interiors, big fat melee hammer that makes you feel nauseous when using it). Hopefully they'll go back to the roots in SS4.

It seems you guys haven't played SS2 though because that game is awful, a lot worse than SS3. As a fan I couldn't even stand a playthrough.

Wait what's wrong with SS2, it always looked awesome in the trailers and reviews? Can't be anything worse than Serious Sam The Next Encounter on PS2/GC.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't. Happens on multiple computers.

default:
iZcCPCsSBfhLT.png

list:
iSfbHZemcG0G2.png

tooltip:
ictcgUCA1UbMz.png

There are dozens of google results for people wanting to get rid of these. The common answer is if you use Aero, you can't. Just wanted to share a program I found that allows it easily while still keeping Aero. Even if you don't get the slowdown (which I've seen on many PCs and support sites) this is still useful.

Edit: As for the menus getting stuck - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+right+click+menu+getting+stuck
I don't know if that's the same problem I have, but from time to time the last icon I hovered with the mouse cursor gets highlighted eternally, and won't fade. It can be fixed by logging off and back in, but it's very annoying.

Been on a crazy backlog cleanse lately got through Uncharted 3, Last of Us, Ni no Kuni, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and DMC

The games I played on PC made the PS3 stuff look massively ordinary Sleeping Dogs especially was fantastic no Idea what to play next though, got Alan Wake, AC3 Tyranny Episodes, Batman AA and AC, Bastion, Bioshock 1+2, Borderlands 1+2, Crysis 1-3, Dishonored, Dust, Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 1-3, Sam and Max S1-3, The Walking Dead and Sonic Generations on steam thanks to the sales lol any suggestions

Dec

I don't know if that's the same problem I have, but from time to time the last icon I hovered with the mouse cursor gets highlighted eternally, and won't fade. It can be fixed by logging off and back in, but it's very annoying.

Like desktop icon and the highlight square around it?

The right click menu getting stuck is a case of windows doing some fancy fade out after you select the option you want and the fade doesn't cause it to completely disappear. Turning off the fade completely, fixes it.

Salsa

I just pre-ordered both Pokemon X and Pokemon Y and became aware of this thing called taxes

I missed Steam throughout the whole process

edit: also I got that black XL grief

gonna sell the blue to a bud

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it, just bought CoJ: Gunslinger. Someone please steal my credit card :/

Like desktop icon and the highlight square around it?

The right click menu getting stuck is a case of windows doing some fancy fade out after you select the option you want and the fade doesn't cause it to completely disappear. Turning off the fade completely, fixes it.
Nope, the taskbar icons. I don't even need to right click for that to happen, the icons get "selected" by simply hovering the mouse over them.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Sector -- MB-A3F7718741E40822 - Taken by Vecks
GTR Evolution -- MB-FCBDCCE5F4F27731 - Taken by SalsaShark
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-BCAA583D40E61273 - Taken by trailmix16

You would have got parried. When those knights hold up their sword in a defensive stance you shouldn't attack. Just use something ranged or bait them into going for you again (and parry them back)

Or just kick them for being so goddamned insolent! Fighting back is treason.

so it was a parry then riposte/counter move? lol they really do utilize the same tools

thanks for that and i'm ready for him and that section the next time I check it out.

Also skimmed Copon's post and it looks like this game is gonna continue keep giving hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom