• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Soo..

Wolf among us (+Walking Dead Team, +intriguing story. +Probably great, -maybe boring, -steep price, -short episodes)

versus

DMC (+Don't care about the original series and +am intrigued by this one from videos, +cheap, -people say bad things and -don't care about the original series)

or both.

What to do.

Soo..

Wolf among us (+Walking Dead Team, +intriguing story. +Probably great, -maybe boring, -steep price, -short episodes)

versus

DMC (+Don't care about the original series and +am intrigued by this one from videos, +cheap, -people say bad things and -don't care about the original series)

or both.

What to do.

Both.

Tellaerin

I will definitely buy the Deus Ex Director's cut for $5. What a nice price.

I've been having issues with my computer lately. Deteriorating performance. It's no beast, but I used to be able to run stuff like Skyrim and Dead Space with lots of things cranked and now it can barely run PS2 level geometry without stutter.

Have you checked the fan on your graphics card?

Sounds like a silly thing, but a friend of mine was having similar problems recently. Stuff he used to be able to play without a hitch would run fine for the first couple of minutes, then begin stuttering like mad. I checked for viruses and malware, cleaned out a bunch of unnecessary background crap, but he still kept having issues. So I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was.

He calls me a couple of days later to tell me he found the problem. Turns out the fan on his graphics card had been caked with dust to the point where it wasn't spinning, and the card was overheating whenever he started to do anything heavier than browsing the web. So if you haven't already looked at the card (which you might've), it might not hurt to crack open the case and shoot a little compressed air in there.

Grief.exe

Has anyone else had issues with the audio in Bioshock 2? I just started playing Minerva's Den and sometimes half the audio is missing. In some instances for example I can't hear things shooting at me, but I do hear my character grunting as he gets hit. Here's what it sounds like: http://www.twitch.tv/overdoziz/b/469288108 (go to around 8:50 into the video) Are there fixes for this?

The game also randomly decided to shut itself off at the end of that video. Not even an error message or anything, the window just closed.

Check this thread for a bunch of fixes: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690065

Here is some potential sound fixes I found: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85308628&postcount=655

Seeing how many Capcom's games have GFWL makes me wonder if they had some kind of deal with Microsoft.

Just a deal with stupidity. Unfortunately for us, they are only slinking further down that hole.
At least they have wised up to the general PC market.

Goddamnit. I bought the Colonies edition of Lost Planet 1 not thinking about GFWL. Fuck you, Capcom. Another game I gave you money for that I can''t play.

I've tried my best to warn people. To be fair, it doesn't even say that it has GFWL on the fucking store page.

That is grounds for a refund right there. Send a message to Steam support.

Why do people say CrapCom? It doesn't even make sense when they have great deals :)

They used to be known as CapGod, now their decisions are very circumspect and they have been putting out some horrible games.

NG+ seems like a pointless exercise unless it is really tough as nails or something. Especially since you can easily grab maybe 70% of the augs in a single run doing a little extra (not even really extensive) exploration/side questing.
Yeah, I really didn't get the comments about wanting it or thinking it was a grave omission in the original. I guess it's in part how acquiring the augs was handled, but I'd prefer the stark opposite of NG+, I'd rather more specialization to allow for more replayability in tackling builds.

Soo..

versus

or both.

What to do.

asking here will almost always result in : both.

whynotboth.gif

The Cowboy

Why do people say CrapCom? It doesn't even make sense when they have great deals :)

They didn't release MvC3 on PC and used GFWL on all the fighting games that they did - as such they are now CrapCom to me. As soon as they get the licence to get MvC3 on PC and patch all the other Capcom fighters to not have GFWL - they will be DecentCom.

Hey guys thought I'd ask this in here. I don't use steam much but I got an email today from steam support with a code to reset my password. No link to click. Just a verification code and saying to change my password. I never requested a password change. Error or phishing? I did use steam a few days ago to enter some humble bundle serials but haven't used it in months prior to that. I don't have a decent gaming rig at the moment so am not on much. I have both steam guard and two step authentification on on the email address associated with my steam account. So I should be virtually unhackable unless I click on some link or my password is keylogged, right?

Soo..

versus

or both.

What to do.

DmC is a really nice game if you don't have crazy expectations and don't need a combat system so deep that you can write multiple theses about it. It's fun and good looking and runs really well.

Telltale games are generally kind of meh.

jediyoshi

YXlschg.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
DmC is a really nice game if you don't have crazy expectations and don't need a combat system so deep that you can write multiple theses about it. It's fun and good looking and runs really well.

I loved TWD, but 23 Eurobucks is quite expensive for a Telltale game (series) to buy in, I gotta admit. Decisions, decisions.

Have you checked the fan on your graphics card?

Sounds like a silly thing, but a friend of mine was having similar problems recently. Stuff he used to be able to play without a hitch would run fine for the first couple of minutes, then begin stuttering like mad. I checked for viruses and malware, cleaned out a bunch of unnecessary background crap, but he still kept having issues. So I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was.

He calls me a couple of days later to tell me he found the problem. Turns out the fan on his graphics card had been caked with dust to the point where it wasn't spinning, and the card was overheating whenever he started to do anything heavier than browsing the web. So if you haven't already looked at the card (which you might've), it might not hurt to crack open the case and shoot a little compressed air in there.

I tried cleaning out the case, but there's not much dust in there at all. It's a pretty big case. I just spent a half hour hunting through AMD's shitty graphics driver menu for performance settings of any kind.

Fun fact: I got a PS2 from a cousin once that had terrible performance until I cleaned it out. Mostly crashing. I probably could have pulled out a dust bunny in the shape of the PS2's empty case space if I had known what I was in for.

hlhbk

Telltale games are far better than what Capcom did to DMC with the new release. I just picked up The Wolf Among Us and am estatic to play it especially since TWD was by far the best game last year.

vg260

I am an original DMC fan, but I have to agree. It's crazy we're debating a $12.50 purchase. If interested at all, it's a no brainer.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it winning some GOTY is no argument at all. Lots of mediocre games have won GOTY in the past.

I don't see what people like about TWD. It's boring.

I still think VGA giving GOTY to TWD was supposed to be some kind of "Look how mature games are!" statement and not really about the quality of the game.

derExperte

If the Save game is going to be an issue then it's going to be a long time before I manage to play that game, hyped or not. There's no excuse at this point. Did they even acknowledged in the past that there was a save game bug with TWD or they never cared?

Never cared.

And this time there's no option to tun off the "He'll remember that" hints. Which are stupid. :/ But I like the style so far.

The_Monk

Never cared.

And this time there's no option to tun off the "He'll remember that" hints. Which are stupid. :/ But I like the style so far.

That's a shame, they know the problem is there, wish they could be a bit more humble with their own costumers. Didn't knew about those "hints" since I've been avoiding most of the stuff from the game so far.

All of them, after they all were released. Maybe the wait for new episodes played a part in people's perception of the game, I don't know.

Maybe that was a cause. But i recently played trough all of them again and they are still great. And the only episode that wasnt good was the Whitta one.

DmC: A really fun and good looking game that has a interesting sense of humor. Not without its flaws and isn't faithful to the original IP.

TWD: Amazing storytelling, very mature, great artistic takes of comic book art, and extremely faithful to the IP. Barely a game and the save bug, if it affects you, ruins the story.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Hey guys thought I'd ask this in here. I don't use steam much but I got an email today from steam support with a code to reset my password. No link to click. Just a verification code and saying to change my password. I never requested a password change. Error or phishing? I did use steam a few days ago to enter some humble bundle serials but haven't used it in months prior to that. I don't have a decent gaming rig at the moment so am not on much. I have both steam guard and two step authentification on on the email address associated with my steam account. So I should be virtually unhackable unless I click on some link or my password is keylogged, right?
Did it read like this?

Dear account name,

We've received a request to access your Steam account from a new computer
or web browser.
To complete this process, enter the following special access code into the
authorization dialog before trying to log in again:

XXXXX

If you did not attempt this action, please change your password immediately.
Thanks for helping us maintain the security of your account.

This is the email you get when you have Steam Guard on and you are attempting to log in from a previously-unauthorized computer/browser. Steam will say (paraphrased) "Hey, you haven't logged in from here before. Or maybe you haven't done it in a while. We've sent your email a secret code. Please enter it to confirm this is you."

If you did not attempt this login and see that message, do what the email says and change your password immediately. Someone else has your login information. They probably don't have access to your account because they would need to confirm the secret code from your email, and you say you have two-factor auth on that (and you haven't been compromised on that front, right?)

If that's not it, maybe it could be the "you're trying to claim a code that's already claimed" email. But I've never done that, so I have no idea what that one says

Grief.exe

I bought it last night anyway. :(

I will try to get a refund, or at least switch it out with the non-Colonies version.

You can get a refund, guaranteed.

Having information like that on the Store page is a requirement now, that was just an oversight by Capcom.

I would just put the ticket in and buy the regular edition.

Someone else have any insight on the refund issue? I have never asked for a refund from Steam.

The_Monk

Regarding the controller, I think there's still going to require some time to get used to, also, I know some games have small fonts and playing more far away on a TV can look more difficult or harder to ajust to. This is just an opinion since I never played like that with games that are more heavy on text but I might be wrong. Also, nice to see a game like Papers, please on the video.

KarmaCow

Watching that reminded me something about trackpads I don't like: having to readjust multiple times to move across the screen like in the Civ5 demo. I'm not sure what the solution is because having high sensitivity can ruin accuracy and there isn't much physical space on the controller compared to say, a mousepad.

Perhaps the solution is the one in the Papers Please demo, though that sounds like it has a learning curve so I want to try it first.

FloatOn

I've never played a devil may cry game and I bought part 4 off green man gaming for sake of trying out the series months ago. Still haven't played it.

12 bucks for the new one though is kind of tempting me IF it is a better introduction to the series.

Or is it worth it to play both?

rtcn63

I am not liking the touch swiping to move the camera. I know it's all configurable but, it reminds me a bit too much of touchscreen gaming. I like sticks. Do want to try the controller out for myself.

I've never played a devil may cry game and I bought part 4 off green man gaming for sake of trying out the series months ago. Still haven't played it.

12 bucks for the new one though is kind of tempting me IF it is a better introduction to the series.

Or is it worth it to play both?

Both. 4 focuses more on combat, DmC on platforming.

masterkajo

Looks good. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that when moving the mouse over the whole screen he has to lift his thumb several times. I am sure you can costumize the mouse speed (even with your mouse or operating system) but I think there won't ever be a precise 1 to 1 mouse on thumb movement like with a real mouse due to accuracy issues with high mouse speeds.

Regarding the controller, I think there's still going to require some time to get used to, also, I know some games have small fonts and playing more far away on a TV can look more difficult or harder to ajust to. This is just an opinion since I never played like that with games that are more heavy on text but I might be wrong. Also, nice to see a game like Papers, please on the video.

Yes, devs have to come up with an UI for the big screen, particurarly for strategy games.

nooooot your best argument. TWD was great, but Telltale doesn't have the best track record. i.e. previous games, save-breaking bugs, etc.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it winning some GOTY is no argument at all. Lots of mediocre games have won GOTY in the past.

I don't see what people like about TWD. It's boring.

I still think VGA giving GOTY to TWD was supposed to be some kind of "Look how mature games are!" statement and not really about the quality of the game.

dat story man. it was something else. story shaped by your actions was nice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom