• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Most Telltale games are poor imitations of the hey-day of the point and click genre that skate by most criticism because they are a puddle of piss in a desert.

Basically, Telltale : Point & Click :: Croteam : Serious Sam.

Most Telltale games are poor imitations of the hey-day of the point and click genre that skate by most criticism because they are a puddle of piss in a desert.

Basically, Telltale : Point & Click :: Croteam : Serious Sam.

I'm continually surprised by the praise The Walking Dead receives. But maybe it really picks up after Season 1?

Ugh, they couldn't even get the UI right, or bother to fix the save game issues on their mega-hit. Screw them.

Grief.exe

I'm continually surprised by the praise The Walking Dead receives. But maybe it really picks up after Season 1?

Ugh, they couldn't even get the UI right, or bother to fix the save game issues on their mega-hit. Screw them.

I believe 1 and 3 are the really boring ones, with 2, 4, and 5 being great experiences.

hlhbk

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it winning some GOTY is no argument at all. Lots of mediocre games have won GOTY in the past.

I don't see what people like about TWD. It's boring.

I still think VGA giving GOTY to TWD was supposed to be some kind of "Look how mature games are!" statement and not really about the quality of the game.

It wasn't boring, it was amazing and the best game by far of last year.

denx

Kind of a disappointing weekend sale, as I'm not really interested in any of the Capcom games. :/ The EA sale on GOG is better imo.

About TWD, I played the five episodes for the first time earlier this year on consecutive days, and I thought it was pretty damn awesome, so I can definitely see why people would rank it as their game of the year.

Grief.exe

my only concern with the controller is how it'll play with regular-ass controller games that need 4 face buttons

Its meant to use the back buttons, triggers, and trackpad buttons instead of the standard 4 face buttons.

The four face buttons on the Valve controller are meant for non-critical actions.

Check out the setup they have for Portal 2 on the announcement page for a great example of this.

I don't like not having the sticks. When a controller is needed I would much rather play with the 360 controller, and ps3 controller when needing the DPAD. Overall mouse and keyboard all the way.

Then plug in the 360 controller. There is nothing stopping you from doing that, it is an open platform after all.

The Valve controller was obviously designed to fit a niche that wasn't available before. Compatibility with legacy games that have no controller support and usage with games that previously struggled with analog controller use.

morningbus

I don't like not having the sticks. When a controller is needed I would much rather play with the 360 controller, and ps3 controller when needing the DPAD. Overall mouse and keyboard all the way.

Yes, but the video showed the person playing Portal 2 and Counterstrike pretty proficiently. How did that look any worse than the compromise of a 360 pad? It appeared functionally better than a traditional controller in every way with those 2 games. With Civ, obviously a Keyboard and Mouse is going to be better, but that's a game that could never work on a traditional controller that is at least workable on the current prototype.

I swear, I wish some of you were old enough to have written down your feelings on the N64 controller when it came out.

Eanan

DmC finally on sale for €10. Looks good.

Whats the consensus here? I loved the first and second devil may cry back when they were released on the ps2.

Salsa

Its meant to use the back buttons, triggers, and trackpad buttons instead of the standard 4 face buttons.

The four face buttons on the Valve controller are meant for non-critical actions.

Check out the setup they have for Portal 2 on the announcement page for a great example of this.

I know. Im saying how it'll feel and wether it'd be preferable to the 360 pad

Grief.exe

Yes, but the video showed the person playing Portal 2 and Counterstrike pretty proficiently. How did that look any worse than the compromise of a 360 pad? It appeared functionally better than a traditional controller in every way with those 2 games. With Civ, obviously a Keyboard and Mouse is going to be better, but that's a game that could never work on a traditional controller that is at least workable on the current prototype.

I swear, I wish some of you were old enough to have written down your feelings on the N64 controller when it came out.

In the original announcement thread, I saw a large percentage of people struggle to form a rational thought. Imagine their cognitive ability 15+ years ago.

Dragging->lifting the "mouse"/right-thumb: No high-DPI confirmed. Terrible controller for FPS confirmed.

Pack it up Valve, it's dead.

:p

Don't know if you are kidding, but he said multiple times it was set-up 1:1. You can obviously adjust the sensitivity.

Looks terrible.

insightful post is insightful.

elaborate? And who really cares how it looks? If the thing performs great, that's really all that matters. You aren't taking the thing out on a date.
right?

my god, what an abomination. Agreed on Civ, although i hope you'll be able to to tweak the sensitivity and such. Still an improvement over the previous controller options for Civ.

morningbus

In the original announcement thread, I saw a large percentage of people struggle to form a rational thought. Imagine their cognitive ability 15+ years ago.

insightful post is insightful.

elaborate? And who really cares how it looks? If the thing performs great, that's really all that matters. You aren't taking the thing out on a date.
right?

Let me see if I can go dig up my old journal from when I first tried the N64 controller:

wutta peace of ####. duz 'tendo think i got 3 buttholes to stick dis 'troller inna?

Ah, to be 26 again.

hlhbk

I am 32 and been gaming since the Atari was out. I loved the N64 controller with certain games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That controller seems like it is perfectly optimized for me to aim down sight while rooted to the ground in my favorite first person shooters.

I just hope it's supported in Call of Duty multiplayer.

Sometimes I wish people would get out of their comfort
console
zones. Look at all the reactions and it's clear that people can't see the middleground. It's either has to be white or black. The product has to target the largest audience; It has to be better then the rest since it replaces the others; there have to be exclusives etc

I won't say that I'm "anti" but that controller video really didn't impress me that much. The thing that bothered me is that when lining up lots of the shots / jumps in Portal it looked like the handling was very close to dual sticks, and not to a mouse and keyboard. When trying to move into jumps the person controlling would often not move the aiming cursor at all and would just line up by strafing back and forth on the left pad only and then moving forward into the jump. With a mouse / keyboard you'd do more combination movements with using both the keys and small mouse movements to smoothly curve into those moves. No real judgement yet, but looked more like maybe Gamepad++ when I was more hoping for M+K on the couch.

morningbus

I am 32 and been gaming since the Atari was out. I loved the N64 controller with certain games.

My point is that there were probably many people who complained about the analog stick when they first tried it and wondered what the hell they were doing trying to supplant the dpad.

I know that my first experience with the analog stick was terrible. I had a bitch of a time getting Mario to do what I wanted during my 9 minutes of game time at Sears.

Nabs

Lol just paid 2.50$ for the DMC DLC so me and 3 friends could enjoy it. A 4 pack for the pirce of 1 at 75% off so swag. Based Family Sharing.

iKgpNRv1Ofz2A.gif

Salsa

In CIV5 it looked like it was played with a laptop touch pad, with constant flicking to move the cursor. In Papers, Please, everything was much smoother. Weird.

well the thing seems pretty accurate so ideally you could just amp the mouse sensitivty and play Civ comfortably. Just seemed weirdly low for the demo

hlhbk

My point is that there were probably many people who complained about the analog stick when they first tried it and wondered what the hell they were doing trying to supplant the dpad.

I know that my first experience with the analog stick was terrible. I had a bitch of a time getting Mario to do what I wanted during my 9 minutes of game time at Sears.

I always loved the analoge stick. I might love the Steam controller to, but just from the video and the design I am not digging it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lol just paid 2.50$ for the DMC DLC so me and 3 friends could enjoy it. A 4 pack for the pirce of 1 at 75% off so swag. Based Family Sharing.

You know, I kinda hate people like you. It would be easier (I didn't say better, I said easier) to just play the pirate version.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I am literally the person who Valve designed it around.

Somehow, I don't think the Family Sharing was made with people that share their account with other 3 friends just so they can divide every game their purchase by 4 so they can all play one copy of the game from different households/countries in mind...

You know, I kinda hate people like you. It would be easier (I didn't say better, I said easier) to just play the pirate version.

You hate people that spend money and use features?

Somehow, I don't think the Family Sharing was made with people that share their account with other 3 friends just so they can divide every game their purchase by 4 so they can all play one copy of the game from different households/countries in mind...

It literally says friends as who you can share with. It's not in the title, but go ahead read the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom