• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clawww

inc5qK17ksxcP.gif

(shamelessly stolen from Nabs)

tumblr_mndbhcsXZe1r7yplso1_500.gif

Steam controller looks amazing, I'm very happy.

PriitV

The Wolf Among Us
header.jpg

Finished the first episode in 1 sitting, took me about 2 hours.
Having liked the walking dead season 1 by telltale games very much and having read one or two issues of Fables in the anticipation of it, I entered the game with very high hopes and closed the game with a smile on my face.
Telltale has managed to make me feel like I was inside the story arc, it felt so vivid, they nailed the art-style this time and the story. It actually felt like I mattered this time, unlike in TWD where I was just observing what Lee was doing.
I'm now eagerly waiting for the upcoming episodes.

Alec

Somehow, I don't think the Family Sharing was made with people that share their account with other 3 friends just so they can divide every game their purchase by 4 so they can all play one copy of the game from different households/countries in mind...

Is it really any different than me and three other people splitting the cost of a game so that we can take turns playing it?

The_Monk

You know, I kinda hate people like you. It would be easier (I didn't say better, I said easier) to just play the pirate version.

Why hate him fellow GAFfer? Hate is such a strong word, there's no need for that. He's using the feature the way it suits him best. He is playing the games & DLC he bought legit and he's using the Family Sharing features so more people can enjoy it too. It's good to share with the ones we care about.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Somehow, I don't think the Family Sharing was made with people that share their account with other 3 friends just so they can divide every game their purchase by 4 so they can all play one copy of the game from different households/countries in mind...

That is literally how Valve designed it. I actually know 3 other people who I trust with my actual account and who I would actually allow to log in more than just the one time necessary. I am actually using the feature in the the way they intended it to be used since we all have different schedules and free times.

What the fuck do you think sharing is?

Grief.exe

The money is still in Capcom and Valve's respective pockets. Its difficult to form an argument that the 3 other guys in the group would have bought that DLC individually.

In fact, there is data out there to show that the vast majority of people don't buy DLC anyways, so it would be easier to form an argument that, statistically, none of those people would have bought the DLC.
Stallion sees extra value in purchasing the DLC because his friends can enjoy it as well, he may not have seen that same value without sharing and declined to purchase the DLC at all.

You're implying a party is being damaged in some way. That, because of this one sale being shared across 4 people, that 3 sales were lost?

The point of the sharing program is to get more people into the Steam ecosystem and then use the old rising tide raises all boats thing. More people in the ecosystem for longer time = more use of games on Steam = (hopefully) more purchases/spending overall.

And no, the pirate version is not easier or better. The purchase of a fully supported and feature complete, legally acquired game and then sharing of that game is much better than piracy, no matter who is looking at it.

In terms of "hating" someone for something like this? Do you really think that's a rational or reasonable reaction to this?

Alec

The money is still in Capcom and Valve's respective pockets. Its difficult to form an argument that the 3 other guys in the group would have bought that DLC individually.

In fact, there is data out there to show that the vast majority of people don't buy DLC anyways, so it would be easier to form an argument that, statistically, none of those people would have bought the DLC.
Stallion sees extra value in purchasing the DLC because his friends can enjoy it as well, he may not have seen that same value without sharing and declined to purchase the DLC at all.

mind_blown.gif

I like how we've gotten to a point where companies fuck you in the ass so hard that when a feature comes out that actually benefits people you need to feel guilty.

It's like some really depressing lifetime movie involving spousal abuse.

"Flowers for me? Did I do something wrong? Oh god."

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Why hate him fellow GAFfer? Hate is such a strong word, there's no need for that. He's using the feature the way it suits him best. He is playing the games & DLC he bought legit and he's using the Family Sharing features so more people can enjoy it too. It's good to share with the ones we care about.

Because I either hate somebody or love somebody. There's very little grey area in my life. Sure, that's not the best way to face... anything, but that's something I should work on (not that I do it, anyway).

That is literally how Valve designed it. I actually know 3 other people who I trust with my actual account and who I would actually allow to log in more than just the one time necessary. I am actually using the feature in the the way they intended it to be used since we all have different schedules and free times.

What the fuck do you think sharing is?

Maybe it's because I don't find myself in the same situation: There's almost nobody that I would entrust with access to my stuff, be it digital or physical. The only way I can envision 4 people getting together and sharing something to that extent is with a profit in mind. I don't have a single friend or family member that I would lend a DVD, for instance.

I don't know, it just feels too close to the "you can assign this game to 4 PS3s" and then everybody went into making PSN Accounts, buying the game on that account, turning around and selling that account to 4 people for half the price of the game so they could make money on the side.

I know this is not what Stallion is doing, but it feels the same.

Nabs

I once traded the SNES version of The Marvin Missions for some anime game and never got it back. Trading is evil, or... anime is. Hmm.

Grief.exe

ssshhhh no tears, only dreams now

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Just Cause -- MB-E6E66976999BBD9D - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk
Red Orchestra 2 Guest Pass -- MB-1B6E05F57A38F760 - Taken by fernandes
Bat Rats -- MB-4276956A3CEC0C14 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo

I don't know, it just feels too close to the "you can assign this game to 4 PS3s" and then everybody went into making PSN Accounts, buying the game on that account, turning around and selling that account to 4 people for half the price of the game so they could make money on the side.

I know this is not what Stallion is doing, but it feels the same.

I'm not sure how the PSN version worked exactly, but I think forcing people to sign in on the other computer really puts a damper on that kind of situation.

The Wolf Among Us
header.jpg

Having liked the walking dead season 1 by telltale games very much and having read one or two issues of Fables in the anticipation of it, I entered the game with very high hopes and closed the game with a smile on my face.
Telltale has managed to make me feel like I was inside the story arc, it felt so vivid, they nailed the art-style this time and the story. It actually felt like I mattered this time, unlike in TWD where I was just observing what Lee was doing.

Awesome impressions, I want to get it even more now. About how long would you say it took you to finish episode1? Do they have any sort of time frame for a release schedule on future episodes? I tried looking it up and can't really find anything.

edit: That Bad Rats key has got to be jokes.

Clawww

Because I either hate somebody or love somebody. There's very little grey area in my life. Sure, that's not the best way to face... anything, but that's something I should work on (not that I do it, anyway).

Are you a poorly-written anime character???

Hawkie

The Wolf Among Us
header.jpg

Thanks for sharing, when's the next installment due?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Maybe it's because I don't find myself in the same situation: There's almost nobody that I would entrust with access to my stuff, be it digital or physical. The only way I can envision 4 people getting together and sharing something to that extent is with a profit in mind. I don't have a single friend or family member that I would lend a DVD, for instance.

Damn. That time we argued about you thinking of selling the free Metro 2033 key you got makes a lot more sense now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

So because you can't experience it, no one else should be allowed to?

PriitV

Awesome impressions, I want to get it even more now. About how long would you say it took you to finish episode1? Do they have any sort of time frame for a release schedule on future episodes? I tried looking it up and can't really find anything.

Looking at my steamcommunity site I can see that it took me exactly 2.2hours.
I think they are planning to do it on a monthly basis, 1 new episode per month, season over 5 months, don't quote me on that.

Did it read like this?

This is the email you get when you have Steam Guard on and you are attempting to log in from a previously-unauthorized computer/browser. Steam will say (paraphrased) "Hey, you haven't logged in from here before. Or maybe you haven't done it in a while. We've sent your email a secret code. Please enter it to confirm this is you."

If you did not attempt this login and see that message, do what the email says and change your password immediately. Someone else has your login information. They probably don't have access to your account because they would need to confirm the secret code from your email, and you say you have two-factor auth on that (and you haven't been compromised on that front, right?)

If that's not it, maybe it could be the "you're trying to claim a code that's already claimed" email. But I've never done that, so I have no idea what that one says
Nope wasn't the steam guard email for logging in from another computer. Guess i'll ignore it. No one would want to hack my acount theyre full of humble indie bundle games and thats about it. This is what it said:

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration to help you reset your Steam password.

Please enter the following code into the 'Verification Code' field of the 'Forgotten Password' dialog. (Enter the code exactly as written. You can use copy/paste operations to enter the code):

XXXXXX

IMPORTANT: Please do not reply to this message to attempt to reset your password -- that won't work. You must enter the above information into the Steam application

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm not sure how the PSN version worked exactly, but I think forcing people to sign in on the other computer really puts a damper on that kind of situation.

On PSN it was a shared profile. People would make new profiles, buy the game (and only that game) on that profile, and share the information. 4 PS3 machines that had that Profile on their storage would have access to all the games from that single profile.

Also, forcing people to sign in on the other computer doesn't make anything difficult. I can easily see a way to make a profit out of it. Pay me 10 bucks a month and I'll allow your PC to play my games. You install this remote desktop application, I'll log into it, I'll log my account on your PC, I'll log it out, i'll log out, change my steam password and I'll allow you to play my games while you pay me 20 bucks a month.

I don't have the Steam Family Sharing yet, but as I understand you can't really enable/disable computers that are allowed to share your games easily: You either wipe them all out or keep them all. Either way, re-assigning the other computers wouldn't be that hard if you kept it to a manageable number: Let's say 5.

Edit: let's be clear, I wouldn't ever do this. It's just not "hard" to do.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
ssshhhh no tears, only dreams now

Thanks Grief for dat Just Cause :). And I got the almighty grief added to my list now? :WHEW:

Eanan

Lol just paid 2.50$ for the DMC DLC so me and 3 friends could enjoy it. A 4 pack for the pirce of 1 at 75% off so swag. Based Family Sharing.

Where is this 4 pack?

Edit: ooops tiredness getting the better of me tonight it seems.... the family sharing part didnt register with me.

The_Monk

The Wolf Among Us

Thank you very much for your impressions. After reading that I'm happy you liked the game considering you played TWD but at the same you did not help me at all to distract from my hype with the game. Hoping for more impressions and I hope you can keep on providing more info with the upcoming episodes. Did you saw any problems during the game? Some slow times, frame rates dropping or anything similar? I've seen something like that with TWD on Steam and on consoles, it's something that only lasts half a second but it was a bit distracting.

Every The_Monk post brings a little bit of sunshine into my life.

Thank you kind sir, expect many more sun in your life.

While I don't agree with you at all I fully respect you. I understand what you are saying but I just feel there's no reason to say that you hate someone on the internet, without even knowing the person. I do agree with you that it is not the best way to face anything in life and I do agree that you could work on that if you want. There's just so many good things to enjoy in life (even when we live in bad times) and there's so many great GAFfers in here that, hate should be the last of your feelings towards them. Sorry if I offended you in any way by writing this, it's not my intention.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
On PSN it was a shared profile. People would make new profiles, buy the game (and only that game) on that profile, and share the information. 4 PS3 machines that had that Profile on their storage would have access to all the games from that single profile.

Also, forcing people to sign in on the other computer doesn't make anything difficult. I can easily see a way to make a profit out of it. Pay me 10 bucks a month and I'll allow your PC to play my games. You install this remote desktop application, I'll log into it, I'll log my account on your PC, I'll log it out, i'll log out, change my steam password and I'll allow you to play my games while you pay me 20 bucks a month.

I don't have the Steam Family Sharing yet, but as I understand you can't really enable/disable computers that are allowed to share your games easily: You either wipe them all out or keep them all. Either way, re-assigning the other computers wouldn't be that hard if you kept it to a manageable number: Let's say 5.

Edit: let's be clear, I wouldn't ever do this. It's just not "hard" to do.
You can't make new accounts just for sharing on a per game per account basis and the second you give access to your account they can fuck you over quite easily. Have fun abusing it with strangers.

I hope not; I am in contravention of my self imposed adding to my backlog embargo by applying to ModBot for it. At least if I win Bad Rats I can stop dropping heavy hints in here that are repeatedly ignored that I'd like it :/.

EDIT - i has Bad Rats! :D

Thanks Grief :D. My search is at an end!

PriitV

Did you saw any problems during the game? Some slow times, frame rates dropping or anything similar? I've seen something like that with TWD on Steam and on consoles, it's something that only lasts half a second but it was a bit distracting.

No hiccups or any performance issues on my end (2500k; 560Ti @ 1080p), other than some odd moments when one
interrogation
cutscene didn't merge with the next one well, so the camera moved a tiny bit when it shouldn't have been.

The_Monk

No hiccups or any performance issues on my end (2500k; 560Ti @ 1080p), other than some odd moments when one
interrogation
cutscene didn't merge with the next one well, so the camera moved a tiny bit when it shouldn't have been.

Thank you for answering fellow GAFfer. I really hope there won't be any issues with the Save games.

AsylumX

Yesterday i bought SSFIV, i always skipped games that have GFWL. I didn't like it but at the same time i never had to deal with it. Now i know where all the hate comes from, 20 minutes just to start the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
While I don't agree with you at all I fully respect you. I understand what you are saying but I just feel there's no reason to say that you hate someone on the internet, without even knowing the person. I do agree with you that it is not the best way to face anything in life and I do agree that you could work on that if you want. There's just so many good things to enjoy in life (even when we live in bad times) and there's so many great GAFfers in here that, hate should be the last of your feelings towards them. Sorry if I offended you in any way by writing this, it's not my intention.

The fact that I know I'm like this, I know it's not the proper way to see things and I do nothing about it just makes it all worst, but I don't really care...

Also, don't worry: You're like the best person on GAF. I don't think anybody can be offended by what you say or do. Specially since you don't do anything offensive. Anything that says otherwise is out of their goddamn minds.

You can't make new accounts just for sharing on a per game per account basis and the second you give access to your account they can fuck you over quite easily. Have fun abusing it with strangers.

Well, then it's not as easy to do it. I'm sure some cases will show up once the program goes full on enabled for everybody, and Valve will most certainly plug any holes that show up.

However, I do have one question that nobody can answer me directly: Let's say you're online and you friend is playing Devil May Cry. He'll only get booted from his game when you run Devil May Cry or he'll be booted from his game when you start ANY game on Steam?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
However, I do have one question that nobody can answer me directly: Let's say you're online and you friend is playing Devil May Cry. He'll only get booted from his game when you run Devil May Cry or he'll be booted from his game when you start ANY game on Steam?

If your friend is playing Devil May Cry (which is being shared from your account) and you start ANY game in your library, your friend will be booted from their game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

You borrow their whole library, not single game. If they go to use their library you are kicked off after 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom