• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
So La-Mulana. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I'm getting close enough that I thought I would drop a few thoughts for the sale period. Nothing new or original, but here you go:

Pros
- It is really addictive and provides that "just one more room" feeling because you want to see what comes next.
- The boss fights are (relative to the rest of the game) often quite amazing. Whilst they are difficult, you will often win "on the last strike" as you are
about to die which suggests great balance.
- The game is certainly lengthy, with good variety in the environments and lots of hidden treasures to find.
- Extra systems like the software, fairies and numerous sub-weapons keeps things fresh.

Cons
- I don't know how you are supposed to play it without the aid of a walkthrough. Seriously, it is nuts trying to work out where to go. You'll often throw a switch in one room which will open up a gateway in another area just because "reasons".
- To go with this, if you head out without the right items, or spend money on the wrong thing you can seriously screw yourself over...unless you get the help of a walkthrough.
- The combat is ok, but the platforming itself feels stiff and unresponsive especially compared to a more fluid game like Spelunky.
- Whilst the sub-weapons have variety, there doesn't seem to be a great reason not to use the axe for most of the game.

Overall? I think it is an amazing game. However I don't feel that it is necessarily a good game, if that makes sense. Since that probably wouldn't, I'll just
say that it is well worth a play, just be prepared to be reading along as you go and accept that even then it will not be understandable. Whilst the action is a mixture of good and bad points, there is still enough there to keep you engaged.

A buy. Or better yet, a win:
yeah, seems to align with my thoughts pretty much

I basically had to drop the game because I just wasn't getting anywhere. I didn't try a guide because I felt it would ruin it, but maybe I should.

I didn't even get to beat one boss

edit: got a good guide you can recommend that isn't too spoily? I mean if the game's supposed to be like dark souls or fez in that most the fun is finding shit out for yourself, then I'd like one that's a bit vague or hinty, rather than a step by step thing (also I'm sorta far ahead enough to not want to read too much)

Seanspeed

Banned

Tizoc

Just t confirm, if I PM modbot is it OK to copy the name of the game AND the code or does it have to be just the code?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just t confirm, if I PM modbot is it OK to copy the name of the game AND the code or does it have to be just the code?

Either will work, since ModBot is just looking for the code, but as per the instructions, you're supposed to copy the entire line.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, both are ok

just to be clear format should be game name - credit card information - <1 year old photograph - code

TheD

The Detective
Sure, but only because SSAA in this case is supersampling. When using 4x SSAA at 1680x1050, for instance, you're actually rendering the game at 3360x2100.

I know that, I just was once tripped up by it in Sleeping Dogs, thinking it was SMAA (due to how rare it is).

JaseC

I know that, I just was once tripped up by it in Sleeping Dogs, thinking it was SMAA (due to how rare it is).

I do wish more developers opted for SMAA over FXAA, or at least in addition to it. Crysis 3 was a nice surprise in that regard.

valouris

It's a clever game, and plenty of ways to get through it, and I really really enjoyed the writing, interesting story and genuinely funny dialog. Totally worth it imo.

So should I get Gunpoint?

Yes
iluI2udyjKjgt.gif

ijfDQT6tPlwT1.gif

mKwVELZ.gif

CtlzZHP.gif

yJMZ1HR.gif

JaseC

Is anyone else's client not reporting time played? Steam Community seems fine, as does the overlay -- it's just the client that's blank.

Nillansan

So should I get Gunpoint?

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
It might stop a little short of its systems’ potential, but for a debut Gunpoint is enormously impressive, with a killer mechanic I’d love to see more of, and draped in confidence and style. I’ll end this with special praise for the brilliantly-suited soundtrack – noirish piano noodling that I could listen to for days, and successfully keeping Gunpoint’s mood that of a hi-tech Maltese Falcon rather than the more familiar cyberpunkery it might otherwise have been.

Wot I Think: Gunpoint

JaseC

Somebody needs to create a giveaway for a licensed game so my conscience won't prevent me from entering. ;)

Hasney

I am commanding everyone to buy Gunpoint. The mechanics are sound, but the game shines even more in it's writing.

You also get a TF2 hat, is there anything sweeter in life?

I really wish that awesome-sounding soundtrack had actually played during my playthrough but for some reason it was dead silence

Yeah, it bugged out for some people, myself included. I think Patch 3 got it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I played it from start to finish last week with the rolling stones for a soundtrack lol

patch 3 didn't get it, at least for me

also for some reason not having a controller plugged in gave me insane slowdowns

I am commanding everyone to buy Gunpoint. The mechanics are sound, but the game shines even more in it's writing.

You also get a TF2 hat, is there anything sweeter in life?

Or you can save money and buy the hat instead of the game.

Hasney

Or you can save money and buy the hat instead of the game.

Without a green border to signify it's genuine? What kind of mickey mouse hat enthusiast do you think I am?!

EDIT: Forgot about the Steam market these days. I am a joke of a hat enthusiast, clearly. Going to go sob in the corner.

JaseC

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is on Steam?!
I remember searching for it and would only get back Cliffs of Dover.
Wishlisted!

It was re-added a few days ago. The game was removed quite a while back as Ubi's publishing contract expired.

Edit: It seems 1C forgot to remove Ubi's Aussie Tax, though: $19.99 versus $9.99.

Any additional BTA games for HIB9 should be announced tonight right? Tempted to get buy La Mulana but I don't want to buy it then had HIB9 add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom