• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What if they disconnect their internet connection? Are you still kicked?

AFAIK, the best way to avoid that is the person that you're sharing the account with hops into offline mode.

That way, you can play a multiplayer game while they play a single player game in offline mode.

BTW, I think it's bullshit. I'd rather have the sharing be game-specific, not entire library. If I give you a game to play, I shouldn't have access to that game anymore until I manually stopped sharing that game with you. The same way I can lend you a physical DVD of a game and we can both play different games at the same time.

jediyoshi

header_292x136.jpg

Who designs this logo and thinks they can get away with it being legible as Iesabel.

Jesabel looks cool, is it any good? Might be a good 4-pack game since it has coop :eek:

I've been playing iesabel for a while on ipad.

It is promising for the genre and should be a good fit for PC. Just be aware that it is a work in progress. It is still getting new content, they are in the phase of rolling out massive performance improvements and it is still a very buggy game.

I also still have no idea how you pronounce it.

One to watch, but I'd wait for either a low price or the all-clear on technical issues.

Dead Rising 2 or Off the Record: which one should I get?

Chances are off the record. It fixes a lot of the issues people had with DR2.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
AFAIK, the best way to avoid that is the person that you're sharing the account with hops into offline mode.

That way, you can play a multiplayer game while they play a single player game in offline mode.

BTW, I think it's bullshit. I'd rather have the sharing be game-specific, not entire library. If I give you a game to play, I shouldn't have access to that game anymore until I manually stopped sharing that game with you. The same way I can lend you a physical DVD of a game and we can both play different games at the same time.

Again, the system is designed so you still may buy a game every once and a while. Every design feature of the system still has that goal as an end point.

However, if it helps, readjust your perspective: you are sharing the platform, not the individual games. Much like how you can't use a 360 if your friend is borrowing it, you can't use your Steam library.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder why Valve never did this...

UcYEDIK.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder why Valve never did this...

UcYEDIK.png

Honestly, lack of attention. The wishlist page in general isn't ideal. Even that links dropdown is kind of awkward and not very useful and the Forum label still evokes SPUF even if it links to Community Discussions.

Other issues:
- Not removing wishlist games when redeemed with external keys (ES has a button for this)
- Reordering does not save without manually pushing save button
- No multi-select
- Unavailable games are allowed to be on wishlists
- No integration with inventory coupons (obvious ES adds this)
- No privacy / no way to have separate public wishlists and private lists (this would be very useful for me. I get gifts sometimes and like having a public list, but I also would want a list of stuff I'm keeping track of, for example, to rebuy that I own on console or whatever)
- Sort by name doesn't alphabetize The or A, just uses the literal name

Just the tip of the iceberg.

Copons

When the guy says about Civ5: "this is a great game for playing on the couch" I rofled hard, considering that probably playing it sitting somewhere more comfy than a hard wood chair = falling asleep with hands still holding the controller. :D
I mean, the main power of Civ series, among others, is its mesmerizing gameplay, where of course you trash hours you perceive as minutes. I don't think I'd be able to be mesmerized on the couch without sleeping in less then 5 minutes (real time, not Civ blackhole time).

Anyway, Portal and CS:GO seem very good with the Steamtroller. Really can't wait to try it!

The Wolf Among Us
header.jpg

Finished the first episode in 1 sitting, took me about 2 hours.
Having liked the walking dead season 1 by telltale games very much and having read one or two issues of Fables in the anticipation of it, I entered the game with very high hopes and closed the game with a smile on my face.
Telltale has managed to make me feel like I was inside the story arc, it felt so vivid, they nailed the art-style this time and the story. It actually felt like I mattered this time, unlike in TWD where I was just observing what Lee was doing.
I'm now eagerly waiting for the upcoming episodes.

Highlighted part is one of the main thing I'm expecting from them after the "trial stage" of TWD S1. Well, I didn't care really, as I managed to enjoy story + wave of feels of TWD even knowing that
any choice will basically lead to the same outcome
, but my gf was super bothered by it, so after reading that, I'm sure she'll appreciate better TWAU and hopefully TWD S2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't know if you are kidding, but he said multiple times it was set-up 1:1. You can obviously adjust the sensitivity.

I'm half-kidding. If you can raise it to where you don't have to lift your finger up and it doesn't become unweidly in aiming, then good. I'll have to try it (hopefully I get sent a prototype...) to see because I'm kinda that target market (controller->Steam controller->Keyboard and Mouse? movement?) but if it sucks... well... then what is the point?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
TWAU is sooo good :D Loved it! Totally worth the dip, can't wait for episode 2. Now waiting for DMC to be downloaded -.-

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Honestly, lack of attention. The wishlist page in general isn't ideal. Even that links dropdown is kind of awkward and not very useful and the Forum label still evokes SPUF even if it links to Community Discussions.

Other issues:
- Not removing wishlist games when redeemed with external keys (ES has a button for this)
- Reordering does not save without manually pushing save button
- No multi-select
- Unavailable games are allowed to be on wishlists
- No integration with inventory coupons (obvious ES adds this)
- No privacy / no way to have separate public wishlists and private lists (this would be very useful for me. I get gifts sometimes and like having a public list, but I also would want a list of stuff I'm keeping track of, for example, to rebuy that I own on console or whatever)
- Sort by name doesn't alphabetize The or A, just uses the literal name

Just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah I get a lot of these requests pretty often. Most of what I can do has already been done. One thing I'm planning on doing is adding a "send to top of wishlist" button. A lot of times typing in a number doesn't work and having a one-click "Put this on the top of the list" would be handy for a lot of folks I've talked to.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the South American countries have low enough figures that GAF members probably represent double-digit percentages of the total national Steam downloads LOL
You can imagine how bad it is here when you learn that several of my friends used to laugh at me for buying Steam games instead of pirating them.

I managed to convince some to buy a few games, but they still pirate most of them. Bear in mind that this is Steam, where costs are pretty low. During the PS2 and Wii eras, you couldn't find an original copy of a game even if your life depended on it.

Salsa

I think we're like 4 from Uruguay and 2 of them now work on the kingdom rush dev team so they're aight with steam and legit gaming

The Adventure Time price is even more hilarious because apparently the game has no online multiplayer whatsoever. But I guess with Family Sharing people can just split the cost in 4.

Tellaerin

Got to visit New York Comic-Con yesterday - wanted to write up some quickie impressions sooner, but haven't really had much chance until now.

Checked out Strider at Capcom's space on the show floor. Only got to mess with it for a few minutes, so I didn't really have time to form deep impressions, but what little I played looked - and more importantly, felt - good. Dunno about the rest of the game, but the first stage seems like a reenvisioning of the original, kicking off with Strider Hiryu hang-gliding into Kazakhstan. (And I was thrilled to hear a remix of Raid! playing during the stage. Strider's just not Strider without that tune.) One neat addition to the starting arsenal is the ability to throw a tight spread of what look like plasma kunai/throwing knives in addition to slashing with the cypher. Also looks like weapon upgrades do more than just upgrade your attack power - I picked up an upgrade that let me reflect projectiles back at enemies if I timed my slashes right. This has definitely become one of my more anticipated games.

The other gaming-related thing that's worth mentioning was that they had an Oculus Rift demo station set up over at the Intel gaming area. Nothing terribly interactive - just cars racing around a track, and you can look around from the driver's POV - but it was cool to actually get to check it out firsthand. The headset's a lot lighter than I expected it to be - I only had it on for a minute or so, but it felt like it weighed almost nothing. The head tracking is incredibly smooth, and being able to look around and off to the sides is amazing. I'm dying to play something like Ace Combat or a decent space sim that supports this tech now. The only negative, such as it was, is that the image seemed a little grainier than I expected, but I figure that'll come as the technology matures. Now that I've had a chance to check it out, I can see why people are so hyped about it.

Kinda bummed that I couldn't get out there today, since I only found out that Hideo Baba ("Tales of" producer) was going to be there, and I'm a big Tales fan. Ah well.

Thanks for the Strider HD impressions, Tellaerin. Hype rising.

I don't know if I should play the game in its original version first, or jump straight to the Director's Cut. I have a morbid curiosity regarding the shitty boss battles.

They aren't the kind of funny bad that you have to experience yourself. Not worth checking out tbh.

Turfster

I don't know if I should play the game in its original version first, or jump straight to the Director's Cut. I have a morbid curiosity regarding the shitty boss battles.

Do you have the original version already?
If you do, I'd suggest playing at least to like, the first boss (which you can do pretty quickly), so you know how badly out of place they felt.

Copons

You can imagine how bad it is here when you learn that several of my friends used to laugh at me for buying Steam games instead of pirating them.

I managed to convince some to buy a few games, but they still pirate most of them. Bear in mind that this is Steam, where costs are pretty low. During the PS2 and Wii eras, you couldn't find an original copy of a game even if your life depended on it.

Here in Italy I still get people asking me why I pay for Steam games instead of pirating them, just because, you know, PC = warez.
Weirdly enough, those people are full fledged console users that buy games only at retail stores at >70€, including collectors edition and stuff.

BTW, the scenario you're saying, in Italy happened during the PS1 era. I was a PC gamer back then so I didn't know well how huge piracy was, but I think I literally NEVER saw an original PS1 game (except in stores) before it went "retrogaming" with people buying them on interne, just to fake they had bought them day one so they were cooler than everybody else.
After that, console piracy sunk (except NDS of course and some Wii).
I honestly don't know how big is piracy on PC here right now, but I believe is kinda low, considering that most gamers abandoned PC (and that's probably why Steam stats are so hard on us :( ).

MRORANGE

Got to visit New York Comic-Con yesterday - wanted to write up some quickie impressions sooner, but haven't really had much chance until now.

Checked out Strider at Capcom's space on the show floor. Only got to mess with it for a few minutes, so I didn't really have time to form deep impressions, but what little I played looked - and more importantly, felt - good. Dunno about the rest of the game, but the first stage seems like a reenvisioning of the original, kicking off with Strider Hiryu hang-gliding into Kazakhstan. (And I was thrilled to hear a remix of Raid! playing during the stage. Strider's just not Strider without that tune.) One neat addition to the starting arsenal is the ability to throw a tight spread of what look like plasma kunai/throwing knives in addition to slashing with the cypher. Also looks like weapon upgrades do more than just upgrade your attack power - I picked up an upgrade that let me reflect projectiles back at enemies if I timed my slashes right. This has definitely become one of my more anticipated games.

The other gaming-related thing that's worth mentioning was that they had an Oculus Rift demo station set up over at the Intel gaming area. Nothing terribly interactive - just cars racing around a track, and you can look around from the driver's POV - but it was cool to actually get to check it out firsthand. The headset's a lot lighter than I expected it to be - I only had it on for a minute or so, but it felt like it weighed almost nothing. The head tracking is incredibly smooth, and being able to look around and off to the sides is amazing. I'm dying to play something like Ace Combat or a decent space sim that supports this tech now. The only negative, such as it was, is that the image seemed a little grainier than I expected, but I figure that'll come as the technology matures. Now that I've had a chance to check it out, I can see why people are so hyped about it.

Kinda bummed that I couldn't get out there today, since I only found out that Hideo Baba ("Tales of" producer) was going to be there, and I'm a big Tales fan. Ah well.

I love the Oculus Rift, but the the low resolution screen are quite a problem for me in terms of immersion.

Tenrius

I just played some RE5 with a friend and it was pretty good. Surprisingly hard, too. I like the action, but I can imagine it being pretty frustrating if you play it with an AI partner.

I know a lot of people here in Chile that buys Steam games. Of course, a lot of my friends are nerds :lol

Gaming has grown a lot this generation here, a few weeks ago people had to do lines to buy GTAV, it was crazy. And some stores sold the game for less than 60 bucks.

Exuro

I'm half-kidding. If you can raise it to where you don't have to lift your finger up and it doesn't become unweidly in aiming, then good. I'll have to try it (hopefully I get sent a prototype...) to see because I'm kinda that target market (controller->Steam controller->Keyboard and Mouse? movement?) but if it sucks... well... then what is the point?
You're going to have to raise your thumb either way if you want position based aiming, just like how you have to raise your mouse to recenter it. The question will be how much resolution can the pads provide to mitigate it. They look fairly precise from the video, but I'd like to see a video sensitivity adjustments to see how far it can push the cursor without losing much precision.

I'd also like to see a video of different controller configs, like having the pad mimick an analog stick, using them as face buttons, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom