• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

You can imagine how bad it is here when you learn that several of my friends used to laugh at me for buying Steam games instead of pirating them.

I managed to convince some to buy a few games, but they still pirate most of them. Bear in mind that this is Steam, where costs are pretty low. During the PS2 and Wii eras, you couldn't find an original copy of a game even if your life depended on it.

I know a guy who earns around the US equivalent of $45,000 a year and still pirates PC games :|

smh.

I know a lot of people here in Chile that buys Steam games. Of course, a lot of my friends are nerds :lol

Gaming has grown a lot this generation here, a few weeks ago people had to do lines to buy GTAV, it was crazy. And some stores sold the game for less than 60 bucks.

Unfortunately, here in Argentina with the bullshit inflation and such the situation may not change all that much. A lot ARE switching to Steam, yep, but if they could break with something like Pago Fácil or anything that could allow younger people to pay with cash instead of a CC or the numerous loops you have to go through in order to setup PayPal (and bearing in mind the nefarious way the government is targeting external/international purchases)...

Ugh, sometimes I wish I could just get away from this mess...

Back to Steam, I just reached over 500 games on Steam. Growing dat backlog, one game at a time! And what am I gonna do today? Probably get DmC for the giggles and pile it up in the backlog. Or play it. Depending on how heavy it is.

I just realized I feel less and less compelled to download a game when the reported size is like a bajillion of GBs.

Serandur

I want to buy Dragon Commander so badly, but I don't have a lot of expendable money right now. I can afford it, I'll just feel a bit guilty about it. Should I get it or just wait for a bigger Steam sale?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're going to have to raise your thumb either way if you want position based aiming, just like how you have to raise your mouse to recenter it. The question will be how much resolution can the pads provide to mitigate it. They look fairly precise from the video, but I'd like to see a video sensitivity adjustments to see how far it can push the cursor without losing much precision.

I'd also like to see a video of different controller configs, like having the pad mimick an analog stick, using them as face buttons, ect.

My problem is that lifting the mouse and continuing to travel in stuff like tanks in BF is already being done on mouses. Dropping the sticks that stop me from doing that (and having a full 180 turn in one "smooth" motion) with normal joystick controllers doesn't really feel like an "evolution" to me.

Joe Molotov

Disappointing, but at least the devs were quick to answer my concerns:

ejMY39y.png

Dr Dogg

DmC @ 75% off. Oh go on then. I feel kind of bad waiting on it to drop under a tenner.

I'm not sure how the PSN version worked exactly, but I think forcing people to sign in on the other computer really puts a damper on that kind of situation.

Well all depends on the game as to how it worked. Way back when the policy was actually promoted with some games as being able to share them with up to 5 friends ie Warhawk. The only limitation was that you needed the account that paid for the title originally to be on the PS3 but you could both be signed into your respective PSN accounts and play the games online. Funnily though some games only allowed 1 copy to play the game online at any given time and would be required to use the account that made the purchase to play online. Obviously later on this has all filtered down to online passes even for PSN titles and all accounts now only being able to register up to 2 Playstation devices only(I think if you had more registered before some time in 2010 they are still on there but if you revoke all permissions you can then only register 2 after that).

All in all what started like as a promotion turned into an area of contention for publishers as it was way to easy to get way more than 5 people playing one purchased copy. That's one reasons those Capcom online only horrors Final Fight and Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 are always online. Maybe a little forward thinking and better planning in to the account system would have helped this feature but I can't help thinking about nice things and why we can't have them.

Freezard

Seeing all these Cacpcom sales made me miss Resident Evil 6 Menu theme music when I played back in the day on the PS3. While it's a very FPS focused game I still managed to find some atmosphere in it, it's a shame that is only for a very short brief time because then, the heavy shooting comes back again and again (and again).

And did you know? The menu music suffer minor changes in its rhythm based on which character you are playing? I like these tiny details. There are 3 different versions at least.

I miss the RE6 menu theme too, so great! Leon's campaign had an awesome atmosphere, as well as half of Jake's. Could not finish Ada's campaign due to some broken timed event where the water flooded me however I tried to do it, got frustrated after trying 30 times or so without doing anything wrong so I just quit right there. Should pick it up on PC in the future to play through the patched version and some online :)

Hawkie

I want to buy Dragon Commander so badly, but I don't have a lot of expendable money right now. I can afford it, I'll just feel a bit guilty about it. Should I get it or just wait for a bigger Steam sale?

You can pick it up for about $12, not sure you will get it much cheaper for a while.

Dr Dogg

not sure, got it but havent played it yet

its supposed to be good

Sod it, I gobbled it all up. I still had hat and trading card money kicking about.

Funnily that everyone I've asked about DmC who played it on a console ranged from 'it's alright' to 'it's heresy!' compared to everyone who's even played a teeny bit of it on PC says 'cracking port'. That feel of 60fps eh.

Resident Evil period better be 75% off so I can get Revelations.

Fingers crossed. Most retailers round my way have been selling boxed copies at £9.99 for a few months now but I'm being a right tight arse and holding off for 75%/£7.49. I think worse case is 66% and I might bite even at that.

Serandur

You can pick it up for about $12, not sure you will get it much cheaper for a while.

Wait, $12? In the U.S.? I've got it at $23.99, $19.99 for me (discount because I already have Divinity II), and $22.49 for the Imperial Edition. Is it supposed to be cheaper?

Will you play it immediately? No? Wait.

Yes... I really want to play it immediately (I don't buy $20+ games to put into my backlog), but not sure if it's so good that I shouldn't just wait. I think it looks interesting and I want to play it immediately, but I don't need to because of my huge backlog and feedback on the game's quality seems mixed. Hard decision.

Turfster

Wait, $12? In the U.S.? I've got it at $23.99, $19.99 for me (discount because I already have Divinity II), and $22.49 for the Imperial Edition. Is it supposed to be cheaper?

Probably by buying TF2 keys and then doing a deal in a shady back alley of the internet with people in fur hats.

Salsa

Sod it, I gobbled it all up. I still had hat and trading card money kicking about.

Funnily that everyone I've asked about DmC who played it on a console ranged from 'it's alright' to 'it's heresy!' compared to everyone who's even played a teeny bit of it on PC says 'cracking port'. That feel of 60fps eh.

120fps+ downsampling breh

its ridiculous

Dr Dogg

Some ungrateful sod who I offered this to for free said they didn't want it so I'm sure one of you folks will be more appreciative.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-56B847E65E1011F7 - Taken by Spawn

120fps+ downsampling breh

its ridiculous

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop at the thought, I'm actually quite looking forward to Enslaved now it's getting a 'proper' version.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't the kind of funny bad that you have to experience yourself. Not worth checking out tbh.
Mmm... I'm still curious. Are they really not worth playing?

Haha, that's hilarious. He beat it with a single punch?

Do you have the original version already?
If you do, I'd suggest playing at least to like, the first boss (which you can do pretty quickly), so you know how badly out of place they felt.
Yup, but I can't play it because I haven't gone through Invisible Touch War yet. And yes, I want to play that one.

Here in Italy I still get people asking me why I pay for Steam games instead of pirating them, just because, you know, PC = warez.
Weirdly enough, those people are full fledged console users that buy games only at retail stores at >70€, including collectors edition and stuff.

BTW, the scenario you're saying, in Italy happened during the PS1 era. I was a PC gamer back then so I didn't know well how huge piracy was, but I think I literally NEVER saw an original PS1 game (except in stores) before it went "retrogaming" with people buying them on interne, just to fake they had bought them day one so they were cooler than everybody else.
After that, console piracy sunk (except NDS of course and some Wii).
I honestly don't know how big is piracy on PC here right now, but I believe is kinda low, considering that most gamers abandoned PC (and that's probably why Steam stats are so hard on us :( ).
Oh, PS1 games were heavily pirated too, I totally forgot about them.

And I totally get what you mean by those console gamers who buy expensive stuff but refuse to purchase cheap PC games. Here it's similar, though I don't think many people buy collector's editions and such.

Cheddahz

Banned
I need some help, my mom's account is being notified by Steam that she "might be be banned from buying things on the community market" and she had been told by Steam that she could buy items on Steam after September 29th and she waited until then to buy anything off of the community market

bIiRTwP.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The PC port of DmC is crazy good, the game isn't good though

TOLD YOU.

Don'tbelieveDonteslies.jpg

Though I guess I should modify that to "Don'tbelieveEzekialandStallionsLies.jpg"

I love you Stallion, but I can't support you on this.

Hawkie

I need some help, my mom's account is being notified by Steam that she "might be be banned from buying things on the community market" and she had been told by Steam that she could buy items on Steam after September 29th and she waited until then to buy anything off of the community market

bIiRTwP.png

When I had a similar issue I had to contact support to remove an account flag, took about 3 days.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

bIiRTwP.png

You can try restarting Steam, I recently couldn't list anything but a restart solved it.

If that doesn't help, you can look in the Steam community forums.

Dr Dogg

Yup, but I can't play it because I haven't gone through Invisible Touch War yet. And yes, I want to play that one.

As much as I've tried to purge Invisible War (nice Phil Collins reference :p) from mind I pretty sure Human Revolution doesn't even acknowledge it let alone reference it. There are obviously a few nudges and winks towards the original. Seeing as you only recently finished and loved the first you'll get them straight away.

I'm a little on the fence as I've finished it twice but the low price point even for a few extra tweaks has me tempted as the boss fights were either bastard hard or pathetically easy depending on your approach.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I've tried to purge Invisible War (nice Phil Collins reference :p) from mind I pretty sure Human Revolution doesn't even acknowledge it let alone reference it. There are obviously a few nudges and winks towards the original. Seeing as you only recently finished and loved the first you'll get them straight away.

I'm a little on the fence as I've finished it twice but the low price point even for a few extra tweaks has me tempted as the boss fights were either bastard hard or pathetically easy depending on your approach.
I know HR is a prequel and IW is supposed to be worse than the offspring of Serious Sam and Borderlands combined, but I like to play games in a series in release order. Besides, I think I may enjoy that game, because I'm gonna walk in with an open mind, and knowing full well what I'm getting into.

I'd like to replay the original game too, but that will have to wait until a few years at least.

Turfster

I know HR is a prequel and IW is supposed to be worse than the offspring of Serious Sam and Borderlands combined, but I like to play games in a series in release order. Besides, I think I may enjoy that game, because I'm gonna walk in with an open mind, and knowing full well what I'm getting into.

I'd like to replay the original game too, but that will have to wait until a few years at least.

Invisible Wa.
r isn't.
that ba.
d, just be pr.
epared for a.
wkward con.
solitis bullsh.
it loadi.
ng.

Dr Dogg

Well if IW has got one thing going for it, it's considerably shorter than the other 2.

Still I think, as with anything of a cultural nature, it's best to come to your own conclusions. Though this game does have very few fans that doesn't say the exist.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Invisible Wa.
r isn't.
that ba.
d, just be pr.
epared for a.
wkward con.
solitis bullsh.
it loadi.
ng.
I don't get it, is the formatting of your post supposed to be a reference to something in the game?

Kinda reminds me of that
"ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU, RUN WHILE YOU CAN"
message in the first game. So good!

Well if IW has got one thing going for it, it's considerably shorter than the other 2.

Still I think, as with anything of a cultural nature, it's best to come to your own conclusions. Though this game does have very few fans that doesn't say the exist.
Dr Dogg: "This may be a bad game, but it's a bad game that doesn't disrespect your time."

Someone should put that quote on the Steam store page :p

Dr Dogg

Yep, 2.5 hours to get it to work on a modern system and 5 minutes of play before you abandon ship ;)

Hahahaha sounds about right.

Not exactly the most optimised product in the world even for it's release. Which gives me the impression it was a console game first and foremost.

Christ even Warren Spector himself touched upon it briefly in a GDC talk he gave around 6-7 years ago ironically about the risk adverse nature of the industry (incidentally with Mark Cerny as the keynote speaker before people were all over him like they are today).

Saying that I had more trouble with the first due to having an antiquated ATI card and everything had this green and purple hue which was reminiscent of my old 286 with EGA graphics. It's a testament to that game that I bothered playing it then finally shelling out for a new video card (even though DE1 still looked like shit for the time it came out).

Turfster

I don't get it, is the formatting of your post supposed to be a reference to something in the game?
It was also being developed for the OG XBox, so the locations are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally cut up into tiny little bits, which seriously breaks the flow of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom