• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I've not played Blacklist, but if you're expecting something different from the usual Ubi open-world fare with Far Cry 3, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hmmm seeing your disdain for all things Skyrim. Couple that with endless checklists of collectables and inane shit to do Far Cry 3 might make you a little bit angry.

Oh and regards to Blacklist. I hope you like gray and green as that's pretty much the colour pallet.

You mentioned many times how much you hate Assassin's Creed's gameplay and design methods so I'll tell you right now don't bother with Far Cry 3. Everything outside of the main story missions are typical Ubisoft filler. In fact many of the side stuff is ripped straight from AC.

I wasn't planning on doing anything outside of the main story in Far Cry 3. I've been skipping the majority of side content for yonks.

The actual gameplay in Far Cry 3 looks far more interesting than Skyrim and Assassins Creed. I detest one button combat. Of course I haven't actually played FC3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm pretty sure Ass Creed is two button combat, but okay.

Only if you do the "hold defense button+counter" that was broken. If you vary it up it isn't. AC3 meanwhile... yeah... that was two button EVERYTHING.

Anyway:

Crysis: I dunno how I feel about this. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting and took like an hour and a half to get through the first level stealthing my way through the secondary and story objective.

THEN (spoiler despite it being a 2007 game...)
FUCKING ALIENS BUST OUT OF NO WHERE AND WE CHASE IT

I kinda liked the game better when it was Korean choking gamez. :/ Too bad that enjoyment was short-lived due to the stupid suits powers running out and you can't switch the powers like stealth on-off manually unless I'm missing something. My extra mouse-buttons aren't being used for anything and it'd be nice if those were "toggle your selected power off/on" instead. :/

Also holy god the number of enemies to wade through. I mean it's a Crytek game but goddamn it's feeling like Far Cry 2's checkpoints at times when I'm just trying to sneak through the forests and BAM suddenly enemies on me that the binos didn't pick up.

Narag

Too bad that enjoyment was short-lived due to the stupid suits powers running out and you can't switch the powers like stealth on-off manually unless I'm missing something. My extra mouse-buttons aren't being used for anything and it'd be nice if those were "toggle your selected power off/on" instead. :/

I could swear there was an option that'd let you pull up the power menu and quickly select with a mouse movement for turning stuff on and off.

TheSeks

I could swear there was an option that'd let you pull up the power menu and quickly select with a mouse movement for turning stuff on and off.

You mean the radial menu on mouse-3/mouse-wheel click? That's what I've been using. But I mean if I choose cloak it's on 24/7 unlike Crysis 2 where I can choose the powers and then turn them off/on at will.

Basically I have to mouse-wheel click->cloak then as it's about to run out z->prone and mouse-click->armor to have the game switch to armor mode to recharge my battery at 50% or above Otherwise cloak will continue to run until the battery runs out and then it switches to armor anyway to recharge. A bit annoying.

There is the v button that does the same thing as the mouse wheel. Which brings another complaint: the default controls are pretty bad. I get it's a "PC game" and doing so many different things compared to the "dumbed-down"/streamlined "console" sequels but goddamn. Why is binos on b to where I'm hitting xcv instead of b now and then?! UGH!

And X being crouch after so much Battlefield means I'm switching to single-auto constantly when I have to hit left ctrl to crouch.

(And the tutorial is set up for a 360 controller instead of my keyboard and mouse. WTF Crytek?)

TheSeks

You say that as if the games can be beaten without using counter once.

They can. Defense->disarm->stabby-stabby. :p

Just everyone used the counter because it's the "easiest way" to go than the various methods of attack/defense.

Which is sort-of-kinda why AC3 dropped the "four limb" system and just made it an "attack/defense"-two-buttonish system. But then the two buttons are handling shit that the four buttons normally split off reasonably in non-combat situations.

denx

You mean the radial menu on mouse-3/mouse-wheel click? That's what I've been using. But I mean if I choose cloak it's on 24/7 unlike Crysis 2 where I can choose the powers and then turn them off/on at will.

I'm not following you. You can use the radial menu to turn on/off any of the powers at any time, so you din't have to wait until your energy runs out. Unless you mean turning off powers with a keybinding, which I'm not sure if it's possible.

EDIT: actually, turning off cloak doesn't drain the suit's power? I played Crysis Warhead like a month ago, but I can't remember.

This reminds me that I wanted to play Crysis 2. I'll probably just do that and make time until the Batman games have GFWL patched out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Enclave and Gorky 17 Steam keys are now available in Groupees Bemine 6-bundle.

Thanks for the heads-up.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Gorky 17 -- MB-5F4C94B313618276 - Taken by tuseday
Enclave -- MB-C827AC273215482B - Taken by BorntoPlay

Nabs

Crysis tip #1: try suit shortcuts. Double tap shift to sprint, crouch to cloak, jump/melee for strength and s (back) for armor. It isn't for everyone, but it changed the way I played the game.

ss_lemonade

Following gaf advice, I shall wait for RE6 to become a daily. Instead, I bought DMC (plus some DLCs) and Devil May Cry 4. I find it pretty amazing how well Devil May Cry 4 runs. According to the benchmark, at 2160p maxed out with 16xCSAA I still average above 100fps and other than the shadows, the game still looks pretty damn sweet. I noticed random crashing though, I wonder what's causing that.

Addnan

Resident Evil today, Remember Me tomorrow? Not sure what to do with the latter now that it's free with PS+ :/ To ultra 60fps or to free.

ss_lemonade

Following gaf advice, I shall wait for RE6 to become a daily. Instead, I bought DMC (plus some DLCs) and Devil May Cry 4. I find it pretty amazing how well Devil May Cry 4 runs. According to the benchmark, at 2160p maxed out with 16xCSAA I still average above 100fps and other than the shadows, the game still looks pretty damn sweet. I noticed random crashing though, I wonder what's causing that.
Ah crap, the game froze on me and I ended up with a black screen I couldn't get out of (my monitor sometimes doesn't like me downscaling from 2160p). After I restarted my computer, for some reason Devil May Cry 4 won't run anymore. Starting the game on dx10 gives me a stopped working error while dx9 just stays stuck in a black screen. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Figured it out. It didn't like the overlay for the rivatuner statistics used by evga precision (which is weird because I had it running the whole time I was doing the benchmarks)

Gvaz

Banned
Character creation in GOT is surprisingly complex. I had to give myself gout to balance Mors out!

Yeah the GOT game is really fucking fantastic and I wish more people played it because it's great. Especially if you're an ASOIAF nut and KOTOR 2 fan like myself.

Tizoc

Resident Evil today, Remember Me tomorrow? Not sure what to do with the latter now that it's free with PS+ :/ To ultra 60fps or to free.

Remember me doesn't have much replayability IMO, so as a Plus freebie you could like get the Platinum and had your fill of it.

It's a grindathon / rpg-ification of rerunning through campaign levels. I don't think I've gone through any game and ended up memorizing enemy spawn locations more than this :p
Interest fading.

Someone post that guys thread about the multiplayer. He has the avatar that says, "that would be tits."

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
Oh, Neiteio. Cool dude. Can't seem to find the thread though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Super Street Fighter IV AE is locked at 24fps if I turn on v-sync and tears like crazy if I leave it off.
I get >140fps in the benchmark at 1080p/8x MSAA and >180fps at 1080p/no AA.
SFxTekken works perfectly completely maxed out. I don't get it.

Anteater

It is pretty good. The UI is very helpful and Civ doesn't have a huge amount of depth so once you invest a little time in learning the basics you're pretty much set and learning anything new is straightforward.

Cool, looking forward to it, I don't usually play these games, so it'll probably be a good change!

Tizoc

Super Street Fighter IV AE is locked at 24fps if I turn on v-sync and tears like crazy if I leave it off.

I had SF4 PC and it ran fine for me, maybe its your PC specs not being compatible with the game?

Nvidia I'm guessing? I know there are problems with some hardware config or a driver or something that I don't recall.

Anyway you should disable vsync in game and enable it through your cards control panel. I think that sorts it out. If that doesn't help, disable the steam overlay through the startup options because I think that can help.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Honestly just leave vsync off unless you want input lag because you want slightly prettier picture, after that set the framerate to fixed and you get 60fps locked which is what you want.

Dr Dogg

DmC. Hmmm I can certainly see why this is a marmite kind of game, there's been a few bits that have already rubbed me up the wrong way in the first hours. Though that's a contentious matter so more over what's it like as a port? Well despite the standard very limp graphic settings that ports more often than not come with it actually looks and performs like the knees of the bee. Even my aging set up is getting around 140fps on average with drops in and around of 110-120 at the worst so far and being a UE3 games there's bound to be some .ini tweaks kicking around. So there's a tricky compromise do I want 120fps gameplay or downsampled loveliness?

Though the game has been out for a while and I'm sure you've heard this all before and about it's PC specific performance. Well one thing a lot if not everyone has failed to mention is highly compressed, prerendered 720p cutscenes. Ewwwww. Now I know why this was done and some of the extra bells and whistles in UE movie suite but if you know you're making a PC version wouldn't it cross your mind to capture some higher quality renders?

I don't know maybe I'm being picky and thinking about it there's a list of UE games with the similar compromise on PC as long as my arm and back again.

Sbik

Neo Member
I've been playing Hard Reset for a few hours and wow I haven't had this much fun playing FPS for a while. I've bought it based on a recommendation from this thread and just like every other games I bought this way it doesn't disappoint! But it sure is super short though. Just beated
Atlus
and it looks like there's only 2 chapters left :(

neoemonk

I'm glad they played CIv V on the Steam Controller demo video because that is one of the games that I was curious to see how it would work.

Dark Souls is another one I'd like to see them demo as well, and StarCraft 2 I guess but since it's not going to be on Steam...

Finished Bioshock yesterday for the first time, awesome game. Would have been even better if it didn't crash every 2 to 60 minutes randomly. Surprisingly long too (I think it took me like 15 hours, I did scourge every corner though). Was it supposed to play credits after the ending or just pop into main menu? Because System Shock 2 did the same for me too, but at least Bioshock played the ending this time, hah!

Scipius

I've been playing Hard Reset for a few hours and wow I haven't had this much fun playing FPS for a while. I've bought it based on a recommendation from this thread and just like every other games I bought this way it doesn't disappoint! But it sure is super short though. Just beated
Atlus
and it looks like there's only 2 chapters left :(

That's just the base game; if you're playing it on Steam you have the Exile DLC as well, which contains the actual, proper ending to the game (with a few more chapters). The game will just continue seamlessly after the original "end".

Jawmuncher

Everyone needs to grab RE6 if it dips to 10 or less.
I personally find the game leagues more enjoyable than Revelations and I have played both extensively. Also having all the DLC Mercenaries Map in the PC Release adds a lot of fun to the mercs mode.

Don't bother with the MP modes unless they're dirt cheap and you have people to play with though. The only one worth a damn is Onslaught.

If I could somehow buy the game again and have more than one copy on my steam library I would.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Capcom seems to have removed the region lock on Remember Me: the RU store page still states that the game will only run in RU/CIS countries, however this isn't reflected in the registry and it's now giftable.

PriitV

Capcom seems to have removed the region lock on Remember Me: the RU store page still states that the game will only run in RU/CIS countries, however this isn't reflected in the registry and it's now giftable.

Just went ahead anc checked, Capcom might be the first publisher to not include the baltic states in the CIS listing :O I hope they keep it as it is.
http://steamdb.info/sub/27235/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom