• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Are the RE:R dlcs anything worth getting?

If you are as much in for costume and weapon packs as me you will love the DLCs.

I hate costume/weapon/cosmetic DLCs, I never buy them, saves me alot of money

Salsa to go 3DS-exclusive confirmed.

Good thing that the 3DS is a good device. :)

I have yet to open my MH3: U, Lugis Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing game. Worst is that I have both Pokemons pre-ordered.

fantomena

Got my review key for The Stanley Parable. Played 30 minutes of it. I don't think I will break the embargo by saying: holy fuck this is a good game.

Dr Dogg

If someone told me that Capcom not only would have a dedicated sales on Steam (30th Anniversary or not) but that their marque titles would be at 75% off I'd think they were mental. With DmC yesterday and RE6 & Rev today I'm chuffed to bits despite how much derision is aimed at the former two.

The_Monk

Salsa just go play RE Revelations on Steam since you already have it and play it for the both of us and never look back to RE Revelaitons. Ok?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dead Rising 3 is still an Xbone exclusive right? I wonder if Capcom will put DR2:OtR for $5 during the winter sale.

Or they just put it up at $5 during this sale. There's still tomorrow. They did Donte, Biohazard, Street Fighter. Just leaves Dead Rising or Lost Planet for tomorrow (and Monday?) to do a sale on.

I'm kinda disappointed that Slant Sux's Biohazard side-make game isn't $5. I'd buy that for $5 just to see the trainwreck despite knowing it's trash.

In any case, I'd buy Off the Record for $5-10 (pref. $5) to replace my PS3 copy in a wait-and-see-if-the-patch-out-GfWL approach.

Deques

If you are as much in for costume and weapon packs as me you will love the DLCs.

I hate costume/weapon/cosmetic DLCs, I never buy them, saves me alot of money

I am more of completionist so costumes/weapons are something for me. But too bad I don't like costumes and extra weapons. So no no for me too :p

But 3 keys for RE:R, thats a go go for me :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RE6 isn't region locked anymore I guess, since there are some Russian traders offering the complete pack for 4 keys.

Ah, I didn't realise there was a Complete Pack. Gifting is still disabled on the individual game but not on the pack, oddly enough. Great!

The_Monk

The should add Resident Evil 4 on Steam and, while the are on it, RE1, 2 & 3 for the people who might want to replay them or might get hit for nostalgia sake.

They added the older Tomb Raider titles so there's always hope (or not, I'm not sure).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The should add Resident Evil 4 on Steam and, while the are on it, RE1, 2 & 3 for the people who might want to replay them or might get hit for nostalgia sake.

They added the older Tomb Raider titles so there's always hope (or not, I'm not sure).

The PC Version of Resident Evil 5 is not that good though, it's from the same time as the Devil May Cry 3/Onimusha ports.

It's a poorly done PS2 port that lacks any lighting whatsoever. Sure, it was modded to hell and back by the community, but it's still not as good as the PS3/XBOX360 re-releases.

I wish they would port those back. Along with Devil May Cry 123 HD Re-release on consoles. Now THAT would be nice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The PC Version of Resident Evil 5 is not that good though, it's from the same time as the Devil May Cry 3/Onimusha ports.

It's a poorly done PS2 port that lacks any lighting whatsoever. Sure, it was modded to hell and back by the community, but it's still not as good as the PS3/XBOX360 re-releases.

I wish they would port those back. Along with Devil May Cry 123 HD Re-release on consoles. Now THAT would be nice.

Capcom seems to finally have a strong grasp on the concept of Steam sales so maybe in a few more years it'll realise belated ports can be a good idea, too.

Colin.

Hmm, Resident Evil has never been a series that has caught much of my attention. But tempted to try out 6 or Revelations. Which would be the better choice?

didamangi

They should port RE 0 and RE 1 remake while they're at it as well :)
no chance

The_Monk

I'm assuming you are talking about RE4 and not 5 fellow GAFfer. ;) I played the RE4 HD Version back when I had the 360 and it looked okay to be honest. With mods, on PC it could look better but maybe I'm just hoping.

Well, there you go... Thanks for the link good sir, it seems that I've missed that.

They should port RE 0 and RE 1 remake while they're at it as well :)
no chance

Oh, now that I would be really interested since I've never played RE 0.

Hmm, Resident Evil has never been a series that has caught much of my attention. But tempted to try out 6 or Revelations. Which would be the better choice?

Played RE6 for 40 Hours, never tried Revelations but I would go for that one to be honest.

- You mean 4.

- Lighting is there, it was patched. (And the US version launched with the patch preinstalled anyway).

- Unmodded it's a 1:1 PS2 port with a) worse FMVs and b) better sounds.

- Modded and with a gamepad (since it has no mouse control) it's easily better than the PS360 versions. Sure technically it has PS2 lighting vs GC lighting, but also technically it runs on much higher resolutions with much higher IQ and much higher resolution textures.

IMO:

Dolphin (modded) > PC (modded) > Dolphin > PS360 > PC > GC/Wii > PS2

Turfster

I don't get these Japanese companies. They're leaving money on the table.

To be fair, the old PC versions were rather shit versions that have none of the nostalgia of the console versions, and it's "just" the PC. Where's the money in that, when you can just keep offering the console versions for basically 'free', thanks to their backwards compatibility?

There's a huge difference between 90s windows and 7/8 in how they handled basically everything. Hell, maybe they don't have the code anymore. Imagine having to start from scratch with something that not enough people would buy to justify the investment.

Resident Evil 6 is the best third person shooter ever made with mechanics that only Platinum games can hope to approach. Best version of the Mercenaries, a really fun mode where you can play as the enemies, and so on. Just an incredible value despite an uneven(but varied) campaign.

Revelations is a weak version of Resident Evil 5 with worse combat, terrible hit reactions, and some laughable attempts at instilling fear and atmosphere. Has an incredible coop mode called raid though which manages to be quite fun despite the lesser combat.

Resident Evil 4 is the best game in the series bar none in terms of overall quality. Should really give it a go on one of the many platforms it is on. Resident Evil remake on the gamecube or wii is my second favorite as it's a good example of what I felt Resident Evil was always aspiring to in the older games but never actually reached until then because of bad mechanics and voice acting. Some great scares in the game and one element in particular is something no other game to my knowledge has done and it's inclusion really makes the game worth playing blind. For better or worse Resident Evil 6 is as mentioned above as the best TPS ever made in my opinion, but despite the intense encounters on higher difficulties because of the balance of melee and shooting with limited ammo, it's never really scary.

Wok

From the little I have played, The Wolf is very promising: the art direction is wonderful. The game is very violent though.

I cant believe Revelations is 75% off! When I first got my PC, like two weeks ago, it was one of the first demos I played. I know its not very taxing on hardware, but it was running at 60 and the idea of playing a game on a haunted ship is a really cool concept to me. It almost makes me want to pick up RE6, but I hear nothing but bad things about it. Not even " Its flawed, but some parts make up for that". Nothing

The_Monk

From the little I have played, The Wolf is very promising: the art direction is wonderful. The game is very violent though.

Can you give a little more detail on this without spoilers please? Do you mean Violence in the art style like gore, or something different?

I cant believe Revelations is 75% off! When I first got my PC, like two weeks ago, it was one of the first demos I played. I know its not very taxing on hardware, but it was running at 60 and the idea of playing a game on a haunted ship is a really cool concept to me. It almost makes me want to pick up RE6, but I hear nothing but bad things about it. Not even " Its flawed, but some parts make up for that". Nothing

You should get your hearing checked:)P) given the statements I made above are echoed throughout much of neogaf and the web at large.

Grief.exe

IMO:

Dolphin (modded) > PC (modded) > Dolphin > PS360 > PC > GC/Wii > PS2

I was just about to come in and talk about the Dolphin Version!

Dolphin with texture mods is the best way to get RE4 up and running on PC.
Mouse controls work perfectly out of the box, just set up standard keyboard bindings for FPS/TPS games.

I wish Capcom Japan would get off their ass and clean up their library for Steam releases, but we are talking about Japanese companies here. Square and Capcom make some of the worst decisions.

Wok

Can you give a little more detail on this without spoilers please? Do you mean Violence in the art style like gore, or something different?

I have only played for half an hour, and it has been very bloody and violent during the first fight (mainly pressuring the eyes of the opponent, damaging his body with an axe). At least, you can stop some of these actions, it is not always necessary to go through these scenes. Maybe it is me, afterall it might just be the usual violence of fairy tales and cartoons, but depicted in a modern and adult atmosphere. I feel like there is a little feeling of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" in some of the dialogues and situations, in order to lessen the violence of the situations the characters are in. For instance, in this situation (not really a spoiler, but still do not click if you are afraid of spoilers) (image), you have a joke after
a violent fight and with a close-up on the woman's bruise.
, as to dedramatize stuff.

Edit: Notice the collision bug with the fingers. The game looks really good most of the time.

To be fair, the old PC versions were rather shit versions that have none of the nostalgia of the console versions, and it's "just" the PC. Where's the money in that? Hell, maybe they don't have the code anymore. Imagine having to start from scratch with something that not enough people would buy to justify the investment.

That's incorrect. RE1-2-3 on PC are among the *best* versions.

RE1 on PC is probably the best since it looks much better with 3D acceleration and proper 3D character models (with perspective correction).

RE2 on PC is identical to the DC version which is often considered "the best". (This can be debated, as there are some downsides, point is whether it's the absolute best or not, it's not bad).

RE3 on PC has the highest quality backgrounds and support for higher resolutions than 640x480 that the previous two games were limited to (but unfortunately no perspective correction on the 3D models, unlike the GC version).

As for not having the PC code Capcom released slightly updated PC ports of RE2&3 in 2006 in Japan with better Windows XP compatibility and the best quality FMVs than in any other version. This suggests they have the code (okay, not definitive proof as the rereleases weren't radically different from the originals, but better than nothing) and hell maybe even some assets (like the videos) from the original production of the games.

Colin.

Resident Evil 6 is the best third person shooter ever made with mechanics that only Platinum games can hope to approach. Best version of the Mercenaries, a really fun mode where you can play as the enemies, and so on. Just an incredible value despite an uneven(but varied) campaign.

Revelations is a weak version of Resident Evil 5 with worse combat, terrible hit reactions, and some laughable attempts at instilling fear and atmosphere. Has an incredible coop mode called raid though which manages to be quite fun despite the lesser combat.

Resident Evil 4 is the best game in the series bar none in terms of overall quality. Should really give it a go on one of the many platforms it is on. Resident Evil remake on the gamecube or wii is my second favorite as it's a good example of what I felt Resident Evil was always aspiring to in the older games but never actually reached until then because of bad mechanics and voice acting. Some great scares in the game and one element in particular is something no other game to my knowledge has done and it's inclusion really makes the game worth playing blind. For better or worse Resident Evil 6 is as mentioned above as the best TPS ever made in my opinion, but despite the intense encounters on higher difficulties because of the balance of melee and shooting with limited ammo, it's never really scary.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually have 4 on the Wii, got it real cheap one day, but never tried it out. I'm leaning more towards 6 at the moment, since it seems it has more opportunity for co op play. I will check out some gameplay of both later, it's not like I have to buy right away. It doesn't have to be an overly scary experience for me either, since I rarely play horror games. As long as there is some decent story and action.

Joe Molotov

lawl

RE5, 6, and Rev = 75%
RE ORC = 66%

I would expect nothing less from the master trolls at Capcom.

iNzXfX0s2nVoY.gif

Grief.exe

Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually have 4 on the Wii, got it real cheap one day, but never tried it out. I'm leaning more towards 6 at the moment, since it seems it has more opportunity for co op play. I will check out some gameplay of both later, it's not like I have to buy right away. It doesn't have to be an overly scary experience for me either, since I rarely play horror games. As long as there is some decent story and action.

Throw your Wii copy into your PC and load up Dolphin. Best way to experience the game.

Note: you have to do some trickery with tour Wii to load the ROM.

Moral question: is there a problem with owning the physical copy, but downloading a ROM? It seems like you end up at the same end, but take the easier road.

Momentary

Banned
Time to go shopping for games I won't play for a year. Lost planet hasn't gone on sale yet right? I should hold off on picking those up. I think I can go ahead and get LP2 and LP: Colonies. They probably won't get cheaper than that.

gabbo

Throw your Wii copy into your PC and load up Dolphin. Best way to experience the game.

Note: you have to do some trickery with tour Wii to load the ROM.

Moral question: is there a problem with owning the physical copy, but downloading a ROM? It seems like you end up at the same end, but take the easier road.

Moral grey area. You've already paid and it's more or less a backup at that point, no? However, depending on how you acquire it, you may be helping others who haven't [bought the game] acquire it.

Would it not be easier to dump it straight from your disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom