• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
Moral grey area. You've already paid and it's more or less a backup at that point, no? However, depending on how you acquire it, you may be helping others who haven't [bought the game] acquire it.

Would it not be easier to dump it straight from your disk?

The Wii discs aren't DVDs and you have to go through a long process to rip the data off the disc

Turfster

That's incorrect. RE1-2-3 on PC are among the *best* versions.

Good luck getting windows 95 era DirectX3 stuff running on a modern system (your XP example was 7 years ago now, a lifetime in computers) without some kind of graphical/speed glitches, if it wants to start at all. Hell, they didn't even run without all kinds of fixes on XP back then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Moral question: is there a problem with owning the physical copy, but downloading a ROM? It seems like you end up at the same end, but take the easier road.

My stance is that if you own the product then there's no harm in seeking convenience. For example, I have no qualms with downloading a leaked ISO if I've pre-purchased something on Steam and it seems the publisher isn't going to offer a pre-load period, as I've paid for the product and would rather not have to waste several hours on release day downloading the data due to inaction on the part of the publisher, plus I can't stand torrents so there's no catch-22 with me technically distributing the material myself.

gabbo

The Wii discs aren't DVDs and you have to go through a long process to rip the data off the disc

Ah, was unaware of that. I've looked into doing it with some gamecube discs, but I don't have the proper drive to rip them. Guess I shouldn't be surprised it's similar for Wii.

masterkajo

So on steamtrades there are some people offering RE:R for 3 Keys. Just to be clear (before bying any "Keys") the are referring to "Mann Co. Supply Crate Key" I can buy on the community market for about €1,75 right now. So instead of €9,99 I would only pay about €5,25, right?

I have seen people trading with these keys yet have never done it myself. So I just want to make sure I do it right.

JaseC

So on steamtrades there are some people offering RE:R for 3 Keys. Just to be clear (before bying any "Keys") the are referring to "Mann Co. Supply Crate Key" I can buy on the community market for about €1,75 right now. So instead of €9,99 I would only pay about €5,25, right?

I have seen people trading with these keys yet have never done it myself. So I just want to make sure I do it right.

Yeah, the default currency is TF2 keys. Dota 2/CS:GO keys may also be applicable but this is generally mentioned in the post.

Accoun

Good luck getting windows 95 era DirectX3 stuff running on a modern system (your XP example was 7 years ago now, a lifetime in computers) without some kind of graphical/speed glitches, if it wants to start at all. Hell, they didn't even run without all kinds of fixes on XP back then.

I remember playing it on XP. No problem whatsoever. May have helped that it was an ancient laptop basically, but someone here said that he ran it (was it RE3?) on Windows 7.

JDHarbs

I remember playing it on XP. No problem whatsoever. May have helped that it was an ancient laptop basically, but someone here said that he ran it (was it RE3?) on Windows 7.
I can confirm this. I had a class last semester where the kid sitting next to me would play it through the entire class. (RE3 on Win7)

Khronico

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Civilization V -- MB-45A4450C3FEBEFDB - Taken by Melted77. 11 entrants total.

t1381617416z1.png
Here's a game.

Grief.exe

Time to go shopping for games I won't play for a year. Lost planet hasn't gone on sale yet right? I should hold off on picking those up. I think I can go ahead and get LP2 and LP: Colonies. They probably won't get cheaper than that.

No! Don't buy Colonies:

PSA: there are two versions of LP1 available on Steam.

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is Steamworks
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition is GFWL

The former is $3.49 right now, the latter is $5.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

Moral grey area. You've already paid and it's more or less a backup at that point, no? However, depending on how you acquire it, you may be helping others who haven't [bought the game] acquire it.

Would it not be easier to dump it straight from your disk?

Its actually not easier to dump the files from the disk. You have to modify your Wii or have a specific DVD drive in your computer.

My stance is that if you own the product then there's no harm in seeking convenience. For example, I have no qualms with downloading a leaked ISO if I've pre-purchased something on Steam and it seems the publisher isn't going to offer a pre-load period, as I've paid for the product and would rather not have to waste several hours on release day downloading the data due to inaction on the part of the publisher, plus I can't stand torrents so there's no catch-22 with me technically distributing the material myself.

I agree, and I refuse to use torrents as well.

I run them on Windows 7 x64 pretty good, good enough for you? :p

Besides, then basically you responded on a comment that was about Svensson requesting Capcom Japan to update them and re-release them with basically "good luck running the original versions"? But the discussion wasn't about the original versions but updated re-releases? :p

And no, a 2006 game will in 99% cases have no compatibility issues today. 2006 XP games are not considered relics..

The situation is like this:

Capcom spent $ in 2006 to update RE2 & 3 for a retail Japan only release, but nooo they will not spend $ for a 2013 Worldwide Steam release. How the hell does that make any sense.. except if you are Japanese :)

Kammie

Edit: I noticed that i've been changing my Steam Purchase method. It used to be "75% discount or less!" now it's "it received a base price drop AND it's discounted by 75% or less!".
I'm with you. RE6 and RE:R are super tempting, but I know I won't play them anyway by the time the base price is discounted and they're on sale again. I keep track of the price I pay for every game, and every single AAA game I've gotten off Steam that I haven't played, has eventually been offered cheaper.

I'm about to start the Game of Thrones RPG from the Humble Bundle. Hope it's not as lousy as it seems!

Zihark

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Victoria 2 -- MB-0117DD064E72DB0F - Taken by Sajjaja
Naval War: Arctic Circle -- MB-20213CC2F55CC717 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk
Victoria 2: A House Divided -- MB-00013B9F254811A3 - Taken by Kirosia
Commander: Conquest of the Americas -- MB-94EAB047AE86359B - Taken by nightstorm
Ship Simulator Extremes -- MB-CAD3A1AFAB7C3276 - Taken by PriitV
Commander:Conquest of the Americas: Colonial Navy -- MB-B590F181AE35B5B2 - Taken by BorntoPlay
East India Company Collection -- MB-510E836B5C8DA506 - Taken by Hawkie[/QUOTE]

Sajjaja

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Victoria 2: A House Divided -- MB-00013B9F254811A3
Commander: Conquest of the Americas -- MB-94EAB047AE86359B - Taken by nightstorm
Ship Simulator Extremes -- MB-CAD3A1AFAB7C3276
Commander:Conquest of the Americas: Colonial Navy -- MB-B590F181AE35B5B2
East India Company Collection -- MB-510E836B5C8DA506 - Taken by Hawkie
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for Victoria 2!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Victoria 2: A House Divided -- MB-00013B9F254811A3
Ship Simulator Extremes -- MB-CAD3A1AFAB7C3276 - Taken by PriitV
Commander:Conquest of the Americas: Colonial Navy -- MB-B590F181AE35B5B2 - Taken by BorntoPlay
East India Company Collection -- MB-510E836B5C8DA506 - Taken by Hawkie
[/QUOTE]
Thanks need more strategy games in my life.

From what I noticed most RE fans seem to like Revelations more as it's a more "traditional RE experience".

Then again many of them prefer those horrid tank controls and lame jump scares in the PS1 games over RE4 and 6 so I'm not sure if people should listen to that. Regardless, I just bought Revelations since I had a few dollars of card money. Can't say no to that price. I'm just glad this came to PC before I got a 3DS and played it on there.

Hilarious given your stance on Hitman, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc. I guess completely changing and casualising a series only matters if you liked the series in the first place.

Oh, now that I would be really interested since I've never played RE 0.

You're not missing much. Easily the worst of the old games (excluding crappy spinoffs like Survivor and Gaiden). It was such a huge disappointment after REmake.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Glad to hear a few good impressions of The Wolf Among Us coming out, I'm a big fan of the previous Telltale games and the Fables series so have been looking forward to this coming out. The visual style of it looks fantastic, getting the rights to both Fables and TWD is going to turn out to be a very good move for them i'm sure. Will bite when there's a sale, I'm saving money for a house currently so I've been working on my backlog. Blasphemy I know.

Some ungrateful sod who I offered this to for free said they didn't want it so I'm sure one of you folks will be more appreciative.

Better that than they take it and don't even say thank you :/.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually have 4 on the Wii, got it real cheap one day, but never tried it out. I'm leaning more towards 6 at the moment, since it seems it has more opportunity for co op play. I will check out some gameplay of both later, it's not like I have to buy right away. It doesn't have to be an overly scary experience for me either, since I rarely play horror games. As long as there is some decent story and action.

RE4 is awesome and especially so on the Wii. The pointer controls are great fun but it can be played with the Gamecube pad if one is a purist.

Moral question: is there a problem with owning the physical copy, but downloading a ROM? It seems like you end up at the same end, but take the easier road.

My feeling is that morality is for the individual and their conscience to decide. I'm not a fan of morality when it becomes "should" and "shouldn't" as that inevitably leads to judgement of others. I'm not a fan of that either :).

However, it was sometimes suggested in the GAF Wii Homebrew thread that it was an acceptable way to proceed for those GAFers who had serious issues with getting their Wii games to function on their pc as a last resort.

Raid mode is brilliant fun and worth $12.50 on its own

Indeed it is :). I played the 3DS original for approx. 100 hours with half of that time just on Raid mode IIRC. That was offline and single player only too so that shows how much fun I found it :).

How the hell does that make any sense.. except if you are Japanese :)

Comments like this make me uncomfortable :/.

JaseC

Comments like this make me uncomfortable :/.

He could have phrased it better, but he's simply referring to Japanese developers/publishers being slow to notice the significant momentum the PC has gained in recent years. Capcom, for example, has been on Steam for over half a decade but didn't begin discounting its games outside of the larger sale periods until last year and this weekend marks the first time the company has held a publisher sale (with great discounts, no less).

Dingotech

Caved in and bought Teleglitch.
GMG discount + extra 25% off + $0.50 trade in meant I couldn't say no.
It will probably be in an indie bundle tomorrow...

The_Monk

After almost 14 hours of playing Shadowrun Returns I'm at the final Battle. However in this final battle not only I'm very low on Medpacks, but I only have 2 of the possible 4 companions alive. This makes the battle impossible.

Now, I could try and reload to a previous section of the game but it's not up to me to when I want to save, it's up to the game since it only saves when you move to a different area. Even if I accept that I wasted the last two hours, my companions might not be the most suitable for those upcoming battles, meaning I would have to rewind even further to choose a different class for my companions but I will always need to stick with one of them so there's only 2 options available.

And now to make all things even worst. Let's say I rewind and re-do all of the above. There's still a chance that after the looooong battle, when you need to do just a little something, the game won't let you because there's a bug! I just found out this, and the bug is "planed to be to be fixed" which means that even if I had to do all of this, I could still get this bug and all of this would be pointless. I read some threads on the Steam Community forum and it seems there are very bugs in the game. I only had one which was fixed by restarting the game and I had to re-do the last 30 minutes... but this?

14 Hours... I need a GAF-Bro-Hug or something.

Kammie

The Game of Thrones RPG is terrible. No vsync option, apparently can't force it through CCC, it has a FOV where I'm pretty much staring at nothing but my character's ass, and there is crazy stuttering going on EVERYWHERE.

Don't even feel like messing with any files to see if the issues can be fixed at this point. Releasing a PC game of this quality these days is just a crime.

gabbo

After almost 14 hours of playing Shadowrun Returns I'm at the final Battle. However in this final battle not only I'm very low on Medpacks, but I only have 2 of the possible 4 companions alive. This makes the battle impossible.

Now, I could try and reload to a previous section of the game but it's not up to me to when I want to save, it's up to the game since it only saves when you move to a different area. Even if I accept that I wasted the last two hours, my companions might not be the most suitable for those upcoming battles, meaning I would have to rewind even further to choose a different class for my companions but I will always need to stick with one of them so there's only 2 options available.

And now to make all things even worst. Let's say I rewind and re-do all of the above. There's still a chance that after the looooong battle, when you need to do just a little something, the game won't let you because there's a bug! I just found out this, and the bug is "planed to be to be fixed" which means that even if I had to do all of this, I could still get this bug and all of this would be pointless. I read some threads on the Steam Community forum and it seems there are very bugs in the game. I only had one which was fixed by restarting the game and I had to re-do the last 30 minutes... but this?

14 Hours... I need a GAF-Bro-Hug or something.

You may have just stopped me from taking up the game once my SS3 run is complete.

The Game of Thrones RPG is terrible. No vsync option, apparently can't force it through CCC, it has a FOV where I'm pretty much staring at nothing but my character's ass, and there is crazy stuttering going on EVERYWHERE.

Don't even feel like messing with any files to see if the issues can be fixed at this point. Releasing a PC game of this quality these days is just a crime.

It's probably your PC, the game ran perfectly for me. There were a lot of things to pin on the game, but performance wasn't one of them.

Derrick01

Banned
Hilarious given your stance on Hitman, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc. I guess completely changing and casualising a series only matters if you liked the series in the first place.

Controls being bad didn't make Hitman and Splinter Cell what they were though. No one loses from having smoother controls in a game, it's when gameplay is streamlined and features taken out. Bad controls aren't a feature.

I would have thought that much was obvious though.

gabbo said:
You may have just stopped me from taking up the game once my SS3 run is complete.

I've read nothing but bad things about that game since it came out, and even a little before it did with those minor controversies. It's a shame that the first major kickstarter crpg to release ended up being so poor. Here's hoping Wasteland 2 doesn't fall victim as well. And dead state...whenever that releases.

Turfster

Yeah, I was really excited for more "real" Shadowrun, but when it was released and people complained about bugs, and the bugs just don't seem to go away... I'm feeling less and less like buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom