• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Lost Planet 3 is going to be in my top 10 for this year, yes I did like it that much :p

Classic Game Room's Mark convinced me to get the game. Granted I've been playing multi for the past few days for the Trophies but I try to get more game time in its campaign when I can.

Seagoon

Just finished Minerva's Den...

The good:
  • Everyone has talked up the story - and rightly so. The twist at the end was not unexpected but was a nice touch
  • I was a bit sceptical when I started Minerva's Den about how power ups and weapon upgrades work, but everything is handled well via drops and weapon caches. I was never hurting for plasmids or weapons

The bad:
  • I wish the combat wasn't so grindy. I had the same problem with the main campaign and constantly found myself killing bullet sponges and longing for a let up so I could focus on the story. BioShock's combat has never been its strong point in my opinion.
  • The constant UI bugs grew annoying over time and downright frustrating during the final scenes of the game. Things like 'Press the Right Stick to Zoom out' popped up every 30 seconds during some of the key story moments. Steam screenshots also did not work by default, instead triggering a quick save.
  • The last boss was almost absurd in regards to how powerful he was, with no justification for being that way. It seemed like a really uncreative way to add a challenge to the endgame.
  • I would have loved to see more interaction with the 'Thinker' - seemed like such a wasted opportunity.
  • Scarcity of ammo - I was playing on normal and constantly found myself without ammo nor the resources to buy more. Drill oil was particularly in short supply.

The ugly:
  • The crashes - I'm running Windows 8.1 (admittedly before general release, so on my head be it) and found the game would crash every couple of minutes. It wasn't until I configured the launch option -dx9 was I able to actually play the game. From what I understand other Windows 7 and Windows 8 x64 users have this same issue.

It might sound like I hated my time with Minerva's Den, but I really didn't. It is a nice addition to the BioShock universe and is the perfect length for a DLC mission. I'm thankful to 2K for gifting it to every previous owner of BioShock 2 and I'd encourage any new purchasers to pick it up.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Game Room's Mark convinced me to get the game. Granted I've been playing multi for the past few days for the Trophies but I try to get more game time in its campaign when I can.

I only played the single player campaign. I still can't believe they used Gamespy for multiplayer on PC, silly sods.

maneil99

To be honest im just assuming the games mediocre never tried it. Then again I am the one debating on AC3. Also is it just me or does Classic Game Room love every game. He liked Haze.

Tizoc

I only played the single player campaign. I still can't believe they used Gamespy for multiplayer on PC, silly sods.

Could you point out what the main issue is with using Gamespy please? I don't recall ever using them for online before.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Could you point out what the main issue is with using Gamespy please? I don't recall ever using them for online before.

Just a real pain in the ass to use and never seemed to work properly for me. It's also a very nearly dead service, I can't think of a single new game that's used it in the last 2 - 3 years.

Tizoc

Also is it just me or does Classic Game Room love every game. He liked Haze.

He likes a lot of games, and I personally prefer watching videos of people who enjoy games rather than bashing them.
Plus Mark is a great reviewer thanks to the way he talks and his humor, check out his Truxton review for example.

Just a real pain in the ass to use and never seemed to work properly for me. It's also a very nearly dead service, I can't think of a single new game that's used it in the last 2 - 3 years.

Wow I can't help but think that Spark Unlimited must know some people from Gamespy so they decided to use it.

For that matter what was the issue with Legendary's gameplay again? I mean it has mythlogical creatures but are there frequent glitches and bugs, etc.?

Dmax3901

GMG Batman Arkham preorder sale back up

Arkham Origins $37.50
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/batman-arkham-origins/

Super Pack $46.87
Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/...man-arkham-origins-and-batman-game-year-pack/

GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC

Origins is mighty tempting at that price, especially considering our Australian prices. Will that code be valid up until release? And any idea when the reviews are due?

Tizoc

I gave it an hour before dumping it.

A shame, you'd think a game where you battled mythlogical creatures would be pretty cool =/

Do the Foul Play coupons stack? I've got one and am thinking of using it, but if I can use it during a sale will it still give an extra discount?

Dr Dogg

pZzRd05.jpg

Hahaha brilliant. I wonder how many games on Steam now besides this and Scribblenauts contain GAF references?

Buying games.

Hahaha. Well you do have to own them all. And I suppose that Russian Steam is kind of like the diametrically opposed version of ROTW Steam in having exclusive stuff ie Mafia II DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Origins is mighty tempting at that price, especially considering our Australian prices. Will that code be valid up until release? And any idea when the reviews are due?

The coupon expires on the 15th.

Hahaha. Well you do have to own them all. And I suppose that Russian Steam is kind of like the diametrically opposed version of ROTW Steam in having exclusive stuff ie Mafia II DLC.

Yeah, the Betrayal of Jimmy DLC being Eastern EU-exclusive is really odd.

Li Kao

Yeah, the default currency is TF2 keys. Dota 2/CS:GO keys may also be applicable but this is generally mentioned in the post.

So seeing as I paid Rash via Paypal some days ago and don't really know Mann Co key market... I just go buy normal keys on the market and make an exchange ? But what about refined metal ? Some games are worth 8 keys 1 ref for example, how do I obtain refined metal ? There doesn't seem to be any sold on the market.

Is it really better to buy via keys/metal than paypal ? You said in case of a scam you can ask for a "rewind" of the transaction to steam ?

JaseC

So seeing as I paid Rash via Paypal some days ago and don't really know Mann Co key market... I just go buy normal keys on the market and make an exchange ? But what about refined metal ? Some games are worth 8 keys 1 ref for example, how do I obtain refined metal ? There doesn't seem to be any sold on the market.

Is it really better to buy via keys/metal than paypal ? You said in case of a scam you can ask for a "rewind" of the transaction to steam ?

Refined metal needs to crafted or traded for. If you don't have any, you just bump up the cost of the item by an additional key (e.g. 5 keys/3 ref becomes 6 keys).

The advantage of PayPal is that it's slightly cheaper; the disadvantage is that it's uncommon among traders and there's no inherent protection against scammers, so you'd need to go through eBay's notoriously awful refund process and pray that fate is on your side. The inverse is true of trading with keys: everybody accepts them and while you're paying a little more than you would via PayPal, you do have a safety net should you find yourself out of pocket as Valve can easily ascertain the veracity of your scam claim and reverse the trade.

kafiend

Refined metal needs to crafted or traded for. If you don't have any, you just bump up the cost of the item by an additional key (e.g. 5 keys/3 ref becomes 6 keys).

Sure Jase meant to say this but most traders offer change so you would get your item cost as stated. Ask if trader has change before trading.

JaseC

Sure Jase meant to say this but most traders offer change so you would get your item cost as stated. Ask if trader has change before trading.

Ah, that's right, but the initial upfront cost is still x keys since you need to overpay in order to receive ref as change. This can also apply to future trades, too, depending on whether or not you have enough ref to purchase the item at its stated price.

Trying to get Septerra Core to run properly is such a hassle, I wish companies had to fix their games for modern systems before rerelasing on Steam`

Edit: And the game freezes for 2 minutes after the first battle! Such an awesome game! Totally should be on steam!

Li Kao

Ah, that's right, but the initial upfront cost is still x keys since you need to overpay in order to receive ref as change. This can also apply to future trades, too, depending on whether or not you have enough ref to purchase the item at its stated price.

Hmm ok, so far I can follow you two, thanks. But is there a way to know how much change you will get ? I mean a way to know how much a key is worth in refined ?

derExperte

From a cursory glance it just seems that ROW copies are being sold, but I'll take one for the team and purchase an RU copy of Remember Me, which also has the "Purchases made in Russia and CIS countries will only be playable in Russia and CIS countries" disclaimer.

Why aren't you using http://steamdb.info/ anymore? Remember Me RU has always been playable everywhere. I know because I bought one.

JaseC

Why aren't you using http://steamdb.info/ anymore?

I am. I mentioned earlier that the runtime restriction wasn't reflected in the registry, but because of the disclaimer on the Steam RU store page I wanted to avoid saying with absolute certainty that the game was region-free until either somebody mentioned they've been using an RU copy or I bought it myself.

And Remember Me RU has been playable from day one everywhere. I know because I bought one.

I thought gifting was disabled on it initially or did you buy a key?

Edit: Oops forgot to switch tabs.

Li Kao

Thanks again ! I imagined there would be some market fluctuations, but if it is indeed 1 key = 6 ref, no problem. I know what one talks about when speaking about keys, I feel like a true steam user / big boy now :)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I wish the Swapper would go on sale again.
Autumn sale's coming up in six weeks (or five).
Then another four (or five) weeks and you've got the winter sale. It'll happen. The question is whether it'll hit that 75% off sweetspot.

JaseC

Ah, didn't read that far back. And I honestly can't remember (ha) how I got Remember Me. Could have sworn I traded for it but probably not then.

I could very well be... uh... misremembering, but I seem to recall looking into the game when it was 40% off recently (back in August, I think?) and finding that it was not giftable. A friend told me he might be able to get a ROW copy on the cheap, so I was going to see how the two options compared.

I will and nobody can stop me!1!

I'm hoping today is Lost Planet day rather than Dead Rising day. Having a single game (i.e. Remember Me) as a featured deal seems unlikely.

The_Monk

Going to try to finish the final hours of Shadowrun Returns because I enjoyed all the other hours spent in this game so let's see how this goes, wish me luck fellow GAFfers.

jediyoshi

Scooped up dmc+dlc. If DR2 complete pack hits 75% off, I guess I'll double dip for modding
And then uh, I'll be done I think

Yeah, the Betrayal of Jimmy DLC being Eastern EU-exclusive is really odd.
Also, the entire thing including the voiced cutscenes are also in english with none of the countries that can actually buy it having english as a native language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom