• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guys.

Steam Family Sharing has fulfilled a dream I once thought dead.

I've posted numerous times in the thread about my one major Steam regret. But regret, I shall no longer.

As of today, I now have Steam access to a copy of Vin Diesel Wheelman.

I have been posting "I AM SO SORRY VIN" in Steam threads for years now.

BUT I AM NO LONGER SORRY.

FOR, TODAY I AM HOME, VIN.

This would be a good death.

But for now, we must ride.

OMG I'm so Jelly of you. Isn't that removed from Steam?

Kammie

Bleh, Soundodger lost its appeal quicker than anything I've played in quite some time.

That's not to say it's BAD, it's just extremely limited and there's no scoring system or anything (for the most part) so the entire scope of the game is really just "beat every stage without getting hit." And that's all there is to it. It's probably worth the asking price for the soundtrack though, the visuals combined with the one classical style piece in the game gave me a wonderful feeling.
I was also disappointed. I bought the game after watching a video thinking it seemed incredible. The first two stages were euphoric, and then everything after is kind of meh.

On top of that, it doesn't help that the auto-generated content for your own songs is lousy. Basically it just involves each point shooting random bullets--not even the bullet patterns from the normal game are present. And I can't select any difficulty or anything. In addition, I find it super annoying how every time you get hit, the music warps in a slowdown/fastforward effect. It's fine in easier modes, but in the tougher ones, you're basically never even hearing the song. I asked about adding an option to disable this on the Steam forum, and the developer didn't seem keen on it. Well, I'm not keen on not being able to listen to the music in a music game.

There's a lot of other issues with the game. The biggest one is that it plays in 30fps with choppy mouse movement. A bullet hell music game can't be released like this, it's almost unplayable to me (the developer is looking into it but says there are sound desync issues in 60 fps).

And second after that, another HUGE issue for me, is that because of the FPS and the fact that enemies only have a hit point on the tip (and not their whole body), you can just swipe the mouse across the screen even if there's 100 bullets there and not die. The developer says he has no problem with people "cheating" this way and that people can choose whether to do it or not. That's just ridiculous, imo, and just hints at either lousy design or an inability on his part to code the game properly.

All in all, one of my biggest regrets on Steam so far (that I have played, anyway).

OMG I'm so Jelly of you. Isn't that removed from Steam?

Yeah, for the longest time I thought it would never happen. I also get to play Sega Rally Revo too now. It's something I hadn't even considered about the Family Sharing thing, but it's super cool regardless.

Yes. :( Excuse me, I have something in my eye...

One day you'll find your Wheelman. If it could happen to me, it could definitely happen to you.

Though how that syncs up with your professional Steam collecting journey, I can't say.

Exuro

Yeah, for the longest time I thought it would never happen. I also get to play Sega Rally Revo too now. It's something I hadn't even considered about the Family Sharing thing, but it's super cool regardless.
It is. I'm on the other end though. I just got it and my brother wanted to try a few games out like Reus and a few other smaller titles he hasn't played. Seems to work really well although it would be cool if we could disable certain games from being played(just due to vac ban paranoia, i trust my brother with pretty much everything :p).

FloatOn

Is Blade Symphony any good? Can you slice people to bits?

It's the closest thing we have to Bushido Blade on steam so yes, it is good. I also had dark souls pvp vibes when playing it, people emote all the time before duels. It took a little time to map the controls to my liking (I picked scroll wheel up and down to change stances, lmb to attack, rmb to block).

It's worth mentioning that the game is kind of bare bones due to the early access nature of its release. Hope that doesn't bother you.

KarmaCow

It's fitting that the achievement for completing RE6's tutorial is called The Longest Night.

After spending the better half of the day downloading the game on my shitty connection, I'm greeted with a unskippable intro cutscene, a QTE, then slow walking to teach me how to move and look around in isolation, as if anyone who bought RE6 is playing a video game for the first time. It's funny because the default keybinds were nonsensical (z is forward, s is back?) so I was actually pressing back to move forward on the set path.

I don't understand how anyone thought that was a good intro to the game, much less then force the player to experience that first before anything else in the game. QTEs, no room to experiment and giving tips like hold a button to see where to go when I'm walking down a corridor while never explaining anything about dodging or the stamina meter -- it's one of the worst intros to a game I've seen in a while.

I don't regret my purchase (yet) but the combination of factors on my end and the terrible decisions of that intro is real bad place to start with that game.

As someone who is probably the biggest fan of Resident Evil 6 in this thread the tutorial is beyond awful and I really can't understand their reasoning behind including it. It doesn't explain or even hint at most of the game's mechanics, is a terrible QTE based slog, and so on. And the real kicker is when you actually get to that point in the game later on in Leon's campaign it plays out completely differently.

By far the worst part of the game and I wouldn't worry too much about it reflecting the rest of the game's quality.

It's the closest thing we have to Bushido Blade on steam so yes, it is good. I also had dark souls pvp vibes when playing it, people emote all the time before duels. It took a little time to map the controls to my liking (I picked scroll wheel up and down to change stances, lmb to attack, rmb to block).

It's worth mentioning that the game is kind of bare bones due to the early access nature of its release. Hope that doesn't bother you.

Bushido Blade was the magic phrase, bought. And the barebones nature isn't a big deal, seems to be the norm with fighting games these days anyway :/

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

How is the lag handled? Because for me in PvP Dark Souls I could get stabbed and yet my opponent was never even close to my back :/

derExperte

And second after that, another HUGE issue for me, is that because of the FPS and the fact that enemies only have a hit point on the tip (and not their whole body), you can just swipe the mouse across the screen even if there's 100 bullets there and not die. The developer says he has no problem with people "cheating" this way and that people can choose whether to do it or not. That's just ridiculous, imo, and just hints at either lousy design or an inability on his part to code the game properly.

He, I read that thread earlier today and it made me remove the game from my wishlist. Will wait for bundles.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
There's a lot of other issues with the game. The biggest one is that it plays in 30fps with choppy mouse movement. A bullet hell music game can't be released like this, it's almost unplayable to me (the developer is looking into it but says there are sound desync issues in 60 fps).

wow WOW sounds like I dodged a bullet by resisting a week one buy

the original was still fun so maybe someday, but certainly not right now

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's fitting that the achievement for completing RE6's tutorial is called The Longest Night.

After spending the better half of the day downloading the game on my shitty connection, I'm greeted with a unskippable intro cutscene, a QTE, then slow walking to teach me how to move and look around in isolation, as if anyone who bought RE6 is playing a video game for the first time. It's funny because the default keybinds were nonsensical (z is forward, s is back?) so I was actually pressing back to move forward on the set path.

I don't understand how anyone thought that was a good intro to the game, much less then force the player to experience that first before anything else in the game. QTEs, no room to experiment and giving tips like hold a button to see where to go when I'm walking down a corridor while never explaining anything about dodging or the stamina meter -- it's one of the worst intros to a game I've seen in a while.

I don't regret my purchase (yet) but the combination of factors on my end and the terrible decisions of that intro is real bad place to start with that game.

That key bind makes sense on French AZERTY keyboards.

Got Democracy 3, it released on Steam today. It's interesting (if you like politics/government budgeting), but I keep getting assassinated after about 6 turns. Guess I need to tone down my radical policy shifts and/or try to placate different interest groups when they get upset at my policy shifts (or just be less radical).

Can someone remind me of the name of that incredible looking 2 person made game that uses the custom engine? Has a robot in it.

Got Democracy 3, it released on Steam today. It's interesting (if you like politics/government budgeting), but I keep getting assassinated after about 6 turns. Guess I need to tone down my radical policy shifts and/or try to placate different interest groups when they get upset at my policy shifts (or just be less radical).

Woah, that does not at all sound like the game I expected it to be. Will have to look into it, sounds like a lot of fun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just let me talk with him.... :D

There's nothing preventing it from happening, really. Midway is dead, Tigon is Vin's own development studio, and the licence is, uh, Vin himself -- all he needs to do is give WB the green light.

Can someone remind me of the name of that incredible looking 2 person made game that uses the custom engine? Has a robot in it.

Reset.

Momentary

Banned
I like how Konami likes to torment me with an MGR tidbit a few days ago and then goes completely cold again. It's so bad that even my wife asks me about the game's release.

Oh well. At least I'm putting a hurtin' on my massive back log.

I've been waiting quite a while for this. I'm amazed their Greenlight page hasn't exploded. Are they not doing any sort of promotion for it?

Momentary

Banned
I just saw on their website that they are FINALLY starting a kickstarter campaign for this. I could have sworn I saw this game well over a year ago.

zoku88

I might have to get this. Sounds interesting.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Speaking of Riddick games, have Atari's assets been auctioned off yet? I'd love to see the rights to Dark Athena+ Butcher Bay get picked up by Diesel. Then he can get it back up on Steam (without Tages hopefully).

Edit: Seems an auction did happen. I didn't see anything on the Riddick games' fate. Would the rights revert to Diesel as he has the Riddick IP?

Grief.exe

Speaking of Riddick games, have Atari's assets been auctioned off yet? I'd love to see the rights to Dark Athena+ Butcher Bay get picked up by Diesel. Then he can get it back up on Steam (without Tages hopefully).

Edit: Seems an auction did happen. I didn't see anything on the Riddick games' fate. Would the rights revert to Diesel as he has the Riddick IP?

I own the games already, but I would love to see that!

JaseC

It's believed that Atari will have another auction in the future. It wasn't a liquidation sale so not everything was sold off.

JaseC

It's unlikely you'd see both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena on Steam even if Diesel gets the distribution rights as the former was remade for inclusion with the latter.

Edit: I assume among what's left on Atari's corpse are the Steam distribution rights for Indigo Prophecy and Hasbro's classic D&D titles (Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and so on). It's the only reasonable explanation as to why they're not on Steam despite being on GOG, GamersGate, and wherever else.

It's unlikely you'd see both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena on Steam even if Diesel gets the distribution rights as the former was remade for inclusion with the latter.

Dream destroyer !!!!! :(

I don't think it's so unlikely, Dark Athena included Escape on console, it depends how hard it's to port it to pc.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
It's believed that Atari will have another auction in the future. It wasn't a liquidation sale so not everything was sold off.

Interesting. However it happens, the Riddick games deserve to live on and not be stuck in the purgatory that most licensed games end up in.

JaseC

Dream destroyer !!!!! :(

I don't think it's so unlikely, Dark Athena included Escape on console, it depends how hard it's to port it to pc.

I think you misread my post. I'm just saying that Butcher Bay being rendered redundant by Dark Athena means the former in particular is unlikely to resurface.

Grief.exe

Edit: I assume among what's left on Atari's corpse are the Steam distribution rights for Indigo Prophecy and Hasbro's classic D&D titles (Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and so on). It's the only reasonable explanation as to why they're not on Steam despite being on GOG, GamersGate, and wherever else.

I am literally salivating right now.

Someone could pick up a good investment for little initial cost.

JaseC

I am literally salivating right now.

Someone could pick up a good investment for little initial cost.

The aforementioned Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast titles have never been available for purchase on Steam, however Atari must have made store pages at some point since Valve employees have them. For example:

icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

Chronoja

The aforementioned Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast titles have never been available for purchase on Steam, however Atari must have made store pages at some point since Valve employees have them. For example:

icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

More than store pages, they even have working community hubs.

the default keybinds were nonsensical (z is forward, s is back?) .
Muahahahahaahahaaaaaahahahaa.

Must be made by a french of belgian developer, AZERTY keyboard layout!

Now you know how I feel every time a game automatically defaults to QWERTY and Z makes me walk backward while Q does nothing.

*diabolical laughter*

icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

That breaks my heart, hopefully they'll make the games available down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom