• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
To illustrate the first point, here's what happens when you try to run a Steam Uplay game from within the Uplay client:

ac3steamuplaym4kjy.jpg

Ah, got it. For some reason I thought I remembered hearing about Uplay letting you activate Steam games to your Uplay account when the client got overhauled, must have just been a request I'm half remembering. Still, thanks for clearing up the AppID/SubID thing, makes me a lot more relaxed about grabbing RU stuff.

Since no-one else seems to have answered...
Hopefully, but we don't know yet. There was something about Magic cards in their twitter feed, and there's a Hothead bundle (DeathSpank, Baconing, RainSlick Precipice 1-2) in the steam DB (which will probably be one of the weekly deals), but other than that, we haven't really had any more information.

As for the $6 "BTA" value, it seems to be that way for the publisher bundles. The 'real' humble bundle still seems to be some kind of BTA.

I'd be all over there...been waiting for 1&2 to get a sale

Turfster

holy shit urban chaos

used to love this game

must've aged like shit

Urban Chaos was great. I'm still sad Mucky Foot never released ER Tycoon (by the Theme Hospital guy) and Skyships, their steampunk pirate game. They really were ahead of their time there. If they'd tried to shop that one around today, it'd get snapped up in a flash.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But at what price? You always get three cards but their value depends heavily on the game.

I'd say a dollar per booster pack that gives 4 cards would be worth it. That's $.25 a card. Base price for trading if you were going to sell them.

The people that drive card prices down are the best people on Steam.

I just look at the graph when i'm selling my duplicates and put whatever seems to be the going rate. I've only sold about 4 cards though and i haven't had any "rare" ones.

Was there a golden half-hour when cards were worth more than 10-15p at some point?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not for most games, sadly. If it's not a niche game that hasn't been in a bundle, it's about 10 cents.

Cards should have a standard amount of cards for sets and a standard amount of drops.

Valve REALLY screwed up this "feature" if they wanted people to care.

Copons

Just to know: is Deadly Premonition very action heavy?
I mean, I enjoyed playing Walking Dead with my gf and as we both are huge Twin Peaks fans, so I was thinking of what game I could pick to repeat the TWD experience.

As I understood, it's very dialogue and plot driven, but I want to be sure, because I don't think she would agree to watch me shooting down hundreds of enemies between a dialogue and the next. :D

I mean, I enjoyed playing Walking Dead with my gf and as we both are huge Twin Peaks fans, so I was thinking of what game I could pick to repeat the TWD experience.

As I understood, it's very dialogue and plot driven, but I want to be sure, because I don't think she would agree to watch me shooting down hundreds of enemies between a dialogue and the next. :D

IIRC, the action sections are divided from the story sections

Tomodachi

Imagine GTA meets Silent Hill meets adventure gaming. Many cool sections to enjoy together, especially the investigation, but there's often action and exploration in between.

EDIT: oh and lots of driving too, that could be off-putting.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
During the beta, you could get 1€+ per normal card for quite a lot of games.
Then they opened the floodgates and it all went to shit.

If I worked at Valve, and I wanted to watch the world burn, I'd start putting out cards for games that are no longer available on the store. You know, stuff that you already have to own, or have to find an old retail copy somewhere.

Imagine the chaos.

Chronoja

Cards should have a standard amount of cards for sets and a standard amount of drops.

Valve REALLY screwed up this "feature" if they wanted people to care.

I want to care about cards, I'd love to craft badges but even when single cards are around £0.07 - £0.10 that really starts to add up if you do want to take them seriously. To craft level 5 badges it can be anywhere from £2 - £5 depending on set size and rarity of the game. The benefits to doing so are just negligible especially considering how many actual games you can buy for the same amount of money.

derExperte

Was there a golden half-hour when cards were worth more than 10-15p at some point?

I sold a few cards for 50c and more even after the (highly profitable) beta. Happens for obscure games and sometimes one specific card is expensive. I got 75c for one Cherry Tree High Comedy Club while all the others were a lot cheaper. Oh, just checked and the prices of those have gone up too.

Copons

IIRC, the action sections are divided from the story sections

Imagine GTA meets Silent Hill meets adventure gaming. Many cool sections to enjoy together, especially the investigation, but there's often action and exploration in between.

EDIT: oh and lots of driving too, that could be off-putting.

Thank you both.

Hell, I'm figuring a completely open world Silent Hill with fog and guys suddenly spawning from under parked cars and shit. Now I'm honestly not sure I've got the balls to play it myself! :D

zkylon

zkylewd
Urban Chaos was great. I'm still sad Mucky Foot never released ER Tycoon (by the Theme Hospital guy) and Skyships, their steampunk pirate game. They really were ahead of their time there. If they'd tried to shop that one around today, it'd get snapped up in a flash.
can't remember much about it, but I remember loving the shit out of it

there was also a weird game about a reality tv show that had people going into a haunted house and shooting zombies and you had this cameraman following you around that could get eaten by zombies.

urban chaos and that game are both from that weird early 3d action era that I remember fondly but I can't imagine them being anything but atrocious today :p

there's a bunch of semi-long action sections, but there's a lot of story too

I think you and your gf will be fine

edit: silent hill is a good comparison as far as gameplay to story ratios go, though it's a bit more action-y than that

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
urban chaos and that game are both from that weird early 3d action era that I remember fondly but I can't imagine them being anything but atrocious today :p

Which reminds me, I need to pick up the BloodRayne games. They've never been on sale so it'll be another thing I do once PayPal gives me my money.

Li Kao

there was also a weird game about a reality tv show that had people going into a haunted house and shooting zombies and you had this cameraman following you around that could get eaten by zombies.

Hmm, "The Devil Inside" by Cryo Interactive ?

derExperte

About a month or two ago I realized these prices were almost never going to go back up, not just the summer cards but cards in general, so I sold all of mine. People are idiots and they completely crushed the prices with their races to the bottom and it'll never get better as long as these batch of idiots still participate in the card stuff. That or Valve does something to spark such an outrageous demand for cards that the batch of idiots can't crush the prices as fast as people are buying cards.

It's shit like this...

Derrick01

Banned
don't just sit there, flip that shit

It was easy to do that back before the summer sale and I would at times but when there's 10+ people doing it for each card it becomes impossible. Nowadays new cards don't even start at the old prices, they immediately go to the 10-20 cent range. People don't even give them a chance to sell anymore.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Valve still hasn't lifted my 200 trades limit and I only have 10 left which I don't want to waste for a few cents.

fine, I'll do it

It was easy to do that back before the summer sale and I would at times but when there's 10+ people doing it for each card it becomes impossible. Nowadays new cards don't even start at the old prices, they immediately go to the 10-20 cent range. People don't even give them a chance to sell anymore.

yeah, that's unfortunate.

I funded so many game purchases back during the beta, now it takes forever just to get up enough steambux for a cheap game on sale.

Derrick01

Banned
Everyone in this thread right now:

I miss making actual money, it's tough to let go of the good days :(

Now I recently had a bunch of games with cards and sold them all and only made like $3 from it all. That used to be 1 game back in the ancient days of April of this year.

valouris

I know where you guys are coming from, but I kinda feel better living in a world where virtual cards aren't as expensive as they used to be.

Li Kao

Uguu, BTA on the Humble Focus bundle and the first batch of game key is... temporarily exhausted. I don't have enough will in me to be vulgar.
So how much is temporarily ? Uguu...

Edit -
Temporarily is quick, kudos !

Whools

I think people wouldn't undercut by stupid amounts if the currently posted prices were shown when putting up an item. The graph of what they're selling for just perpetuates the low prices, a vicious circle.

fallout

About a month or two ago I realized these prices were almost never going to go back up, not just the summer cards but cards in general, so I sold all of mine. People are idiots and they completely crushed the prices with their races to the bottom and it'll never get better as long as these batch of idiots still participate in the card stuff.
Welcome to the free market. Just because cards are posted at high prices doesn't mean that people are actually going to buy them at those high prices, especially for this type of good. There just aren't enough buyers for the amount of cards out there.

A perfect example of this are the summer cards. People started buying them up at the end of the sale. This drove the prices up, as you didn't need to put the price too low in order to find a buyer. You could actually watch this in near real-time. The lower price cards got bought up so fast that the higher price cards started getting bought up. This drove the price up. People saw this and wanted to get in on the money. This resulted in cards flooding the market. The supply went up and the price went down. It had nothing to do with people being idiots. It had everything to do with the supply of cards shooting up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do they manage to sell the game for so little?

Do they buy dodgy Russian games? Isn't that something you can get banned for?

Yes, they're copies of the game sourced from the RU store; no, you can't get banned for buying them through another user, partly because Valve doesn't care and partly because even if Valve did care, accounts are no longer banned but rather restricted in functionality. In fact, publishers do have region-locking measures available to them, so Valve's unofficial stance is that it's their own damn fault if they don't use them.

Turfster

Welcome to the free market. Just because cards are posted at high prices doesn't mean that people are actually going to buy them at those high prices, especially for this type of good. There just aren't enough buyers for the amount of cards out there.
Dunno, the market crashes a lot quicker than demand does. The first hour or so of a card's life gets a high to 'normal' price... and then the army of tards show up and it's worth less than 10 cents in less than 5 minutes. Some cards can stave this off by smart people sticking to the current lowest bid, fixing the price... until an "ZOMGIGOTTASELLNAOBECAUSEINEEDTOBUYDRUGS!!!!!1111oneoneone" idiot shows up and ruins it for everyone.

People are willing to pay more, but idiots want to get their money as quickly as possible... and they want it quickly so badly they don't care about how much they actually get, which is all kinds of stupid.

Enco

Yes, they're copies of the game sourced from the RU store; no, you can't get banned for buying them through another user, partly because Valve doesn't care and partly because even if Valve did care, accounts are no longer banned but rather restricted in functionality.
So zero risk involved?

I've spent a ton on my account. Don't even want a small restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom