• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
This made me laugh, my main sniper is English. I love the chap. Brofist 'Omega', even if you can shoot once every blue moon.

Nope, as I said in my post it has been ages since I played X-Com and I fully concede that I could be suffering from some warped nostalgia. But then again I wanted to like XCOM and played it with more than an open mind. So yup, the only explanations are the game is bad (for me) or I should really replay the first one.
Problem is, even if I insist on the fact that I don't treat X-Com like a "sacred cow that you don't dare touch it bitch", it is sitting peacefully in the top of my playing history along games such as Planescape Torment, and I don't know if I want to revisit and maybe break the feeling.
It risks indeed to be rough looking, but I don't know, we will see once I finish that XCOM 2012 campaign which doesn't feel like it wants to end.

PS. Oh and in all honesty, maybe the new one feels harder and more of a chore because at the time of the first game, men were living in caverns, without internet, and thus no patchs. It was many moons later than man discovered that X-Com had a bug that made a game set on 'normal' to play on 'easy' ^_^

Same here, and since IIRC the first (and second ?) one was region locked out of France, I will happily bite one the base tier. Not a stellar series, but some funny moments.

Ha, I've just been reading up on the original game on Wikipedia and that difficulty bug amused me in a schadenfreude way :).

It seems that it is possible to mod the game and tweak the visuals somewhat so I think I'll add it to my Steam wishlist....oh, it's already on there, lol.

Are you aware of Xenonauts?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223830/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

The dev of the original game seems to think that it will be a more faithful re-make of the original game.

Whatever you do, don't find the aliens on your last move. That's usually where things take a turn for the worst. If you're scouting, use only your first move and reserve the second, in case you happen upon the enemy. Hunker down if you're not in full cover, unless you are guaranteed to kill the enemy/be safe from fire on the next turn. I always go with a balanced team, though yes, a Sniper with double tap is going to do most/ a lot of the work. Heavy's are the next best, imo. Especially when it comes to those scary ass
Sectopods. The heat ammo annihilates them.
The rockets are nice too.

If you want to make life easier for yourself, rush the main objectives. The longer you take, the tougher the enemies get.

First paragraph, worked all that out for myself *raises eyebrows up and down in a smug fashion*.

Second paragraph, oh. Um, that would explain it then *shuffles away, blushing*.

I've been interested in The Void for a few years now, and it's the only game in the bundlestars pack I'm into. Go for it? Anything like Dark Souls?

nexen

I've been interested in The Void for a few years now, and it's the only game in the bundlestars pack I'm into. Go for it? Anything like Dark Souls?

It is nothing like Dark Souls.
It is more of an abstract adventure game. No combat (at least as far as I played). I think it is terrible, but some here seem to really dig it.

It's just that I would like, for once, to be able to play a game at its somewhat best.
I know that with a i5 / GTX 650 Ti Boost I still won't, but at least it should feel powerful enough even in its cheapery (is it a word? well who cares :D ).

i have a 650 ti boost 2gb, i mean it's not the best thing around but i haven't met a game i couldn't play with some good settings.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Not anything like Dark Souls at all, save its difficulty which I think is more relentless. You gather color from around the dream worlds and cultivate it in gardens to try and keep a constant crop to use for magic, feed women (yes that is exactly what it sounds like) and keep yourself alive. Certain colors specialize in certain magics and certain "sisters" will only feed from certain colors. Only, the color sprouts are randomized so you could get fucked by a bad crop and be stuck in an unwinnable situation.

It's a weird game but the world is very much worth seeing... assuming you're able to. I think the community has a difficulty patch out to increase the likelihood of the right colors appearing but I've never gone for it.

Chronoja

It is nothing like Dark Souls.
It is more of an abstract adventure game. No combat (at least as far as I played). I think it is terrible, but some here seem to really dig it.

I tried to play that game before and it just would not recognise any of the symbols I tried to draw. Very frustrating. I'm sure it's filled with lots of depth and beauty but I wouldn't know lol

Jawmuncher

Nothing is worse than a bundle where you only want one game and it's a BTA.
All I want from the indie gala bundle i fairybloom freesia, nothing else at all even interests me in the slightest. Think I'll just hold out for the winter sale and a possible 75% off.
Since I already saw the game cheaper during the capcom sale.

Jawmuncher

Dark Souls is so good that when you finally finish it and put the game down, it makes other games difficult to enjoy by comparison.

So True.
After beating both Demons and Dark I felt the same way afterwards for awhile.
Not to mention both games gave me the rare feeling of being excited to play them whenever I got off work. Few games ever manage to make me excited to come home and play them some more.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nothing is worse than a bundle where you only want one game and it's a BTA.
All I want from the indie gala bundle i fairybloom freesia, nothing else at all even interests me in the slightest. Think I'll just hold out for the winter sale and a possible 75% off.
Since I already saw the game cheaper during the capcom sale.

1) Give the unwanted games to a family member/friend that doesn't buy all games ever
2) Give them away on forums and/or random people that can't buy games.
3) Make fun raffles and activities for said keys
4) Pay an overall cheap price for the games
5) Make other people happy in the process

I don't see many downsides, to be honest...

Nabs

It looks like the Mac release of Batman: Arkham City GOTY is almost ready to go live. They just added the mac depots to the main subscription. Maybe we'll see something happen tomorrow for the Weekend Deal.

Not at all, although it's certainly as special in its own ways. It's more of an adventure game of sorts. You are dropped into this world which you have to learn the rules of while gathering resources, in this case color. Some NPCs will lie to you in order to get what they want(you don't have to listen to all advice), the management of resources is intricate and difficult as the resource you use to move around and attack enemies is the same one you use to feed sisters and accomplish tasks. There's just really nothing else like it out there. The atmosphere in the game is also something that very few games can match and even then it's in completely different ways. The Void is a terrible, horrifying place. For every beautiful place full of wonder there are two that are almost shocking in their complete desolation. One of the best games ever made, playing it might not always be fun but it truly is something that no other game has attempted to approximate.

The sometimes beautiful, often terrifying art design mentioned is something that should draw you in if nothing else.
8992F33D574417359AC6A647D5B853917B7595F8
61DBA2439965F90E5F4FD1FDF68AD9C4A770F3AC
0E7128411D88344FED77C9A9B921C4CF60014AD9
C7647E674DC4A1619CFF61C09267408683F8925C

And it is awesome. Some are turned off by its graphics but I think it looks sharp as hell and the details going on behind the scenes are total nerdsauce.

Really? I think the graphics are delightful. I just had a look at the official site and got a really strong sense of nostalgia from the screenshots which is curious since I didn't play games when the original X-Com was released. However, I find them very appealing and have this firmly entrenched in my wishlist now. I would imagine fans of the original X-Com will be all over this :).

I really wish Panasonic didn't abandon Plasmas. It's a better technology, but people are too stupid to notice a better image quality on a cheaper and bigger television, so it doesn't sell as much. :(

I don't think it's that they're stupid; they just have different priorities. I too am sad though and have only had a plasma tv for about a year or so. My eyes don't like LCD tv imagery so I hope there will be something else I can go to when my current tv needs replacing.

Knurek

It's just that I would like, for once, to be able to play a game at its somewhat best.
I know that with a i5 / GTX 650 Ti Boost I still won't, but at least it should feel powerful enough even in its cheapery (is it a word? well who cares :D ).

Umm, I have said Pentium G2030, and this coupled with Radeon 6770 (basically renamed 5770) has so far been enough to hit at least 30 fps (60fps most of the time) on High/Very High setting in 768p (with SMAA) on every single game I tried.

I will not be able to run Watch_DOGE, right, but when I upgrade my rig in... 2016 I guess, I'll be able to play the game if it'll be good enough. For now, I have my 500+ game backlog to tidy me over, Dark Souls included. :)

MRORANGE

I really wish Panasonic didn't abandon Plasmas. It's a better technology, but people are too stupid to notice a better image quality on a cheaper and bigger television, so it doesn't sell as much. :(

Not a big fan of plasma's I, have a ton of natural light coming into the room and it is a deal killer since plasma's are so dim, latency is another major issue with gaming. Also burn-in
/joke

nexen

I just want to say that the Ninja Theory reboot of Devil May Cry has greatly exceeded my expectations.
I never cared for the previous DMC games, to be honest. I thought the first one was 'ok' but the others, especially 4, just didn't do anything for me at all.

This game though. Holy crap is it awesome. The level designs are fantastic and every single boss I've encountered has been filled with 'holy shit' moments. The story is also completely coherent so far. The character animation and art during cutscenes is top notch, but I expected that coming from Ninja Theory. They are seriously some of the best in the business at it.

Really, really glad I bought this game. It is getting a little difficult for me now, but I'll probably stick it out because I love it so much. I wish I had splurged for the DLC.

You get to fight the giant talking head of pseudo-Fox-news, what more do you want?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just want to say that the Ninja Theory reboot of Devil May Cry has greatly exceeded my expectations.
I never cared for the previous DMC games, to be honest. I thought the first one was 'ok' but the others, especially 4, just didn't do anything for me at all.

This game though. Holy crap is it awesome. The level designs are fantastic and every single boss I've encountered has been filled with 'holy shit' moments. The story is also completely coherent so far. The character animation and art during cutscenes is top notch, but I expected that coming from Ninja Theory. They are seriously some of the best in the business at it.

Really, really glad I bought this game. It is getting a little difficult for me now, but I'll probably stick it out because I love it so much. I wish I had splurged for the DLC.
The DLC is pretty great. The level design is just as good and the art direction remains top notch. Totally worth the 2.50$.

How does this Groupee thing work? Do I get all steam/desura/gog keys if I pay over the minimum?

Depends on the bundle. Some bundles are "Build-a-bundles," which means you pick out the games you want (minimum of two games, later in a bundle's life this drops to 1) and pay a minimum of 75 cents for each game you pick. You can obviously pay more if you want. Other bundles are traditional packages where you pay a minimum set price (or more) and get all the games in the bundle, including keys and whatnot.

In both cases, anything that gets added to the bundle afterwards will be given to anyone who's purchased a bundle, no matter when they bought it, how much they paid, or how many games they bought (in the case of the build-a-bundle option).

gabbo

Not at all, although it's certainly as special in its own ways. It's more of an adventure game of sorts. You are dropped into this world which you have to learn the rules of while gathering resources, in this case color. Some NPCs will lie to you in order to get what they want(you don't have to listen to all advice), the management of resources is intricate and difficult as the resource you use to move around and attack enemies is the same one you use to feed sisters and accomplish tasks. There's just really nothing else like it out there. The atmosphere in the game is also something that very few games can match and even then it's in completely different ways. The Void is a terrible, horrifying place. For every beautiful place full of wonder there are two that are almost shocking in their complete desolation. One of the best games ever made, playing it might not always be fun but it truly is something that no other game has attempted to approximate.

The sometimes beautiful, often terrifying art design mentioned is something that should draw you in if nothing else.

I've never gotten very far in the game simply because I cannot keep enough colour.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't even get why somebody would ever even coonsider GFWL? WHy did many devs use it? PC gamers have hated it since the start.

First of all, because publishers are stupid and rarely care about what the user wants.

Punkbuster is a fucking waste of time, but the Battlefield series always used it. This time around, it seems they finally found out that Punkbuster doesn't work, but instead of removing it, they're keeping Punkbuster and adding another layer of cheat protection.

Instead of replacing it for something that works, no, let's keep it and add in another layer.

From my "pulled out of my ass" guess, I believe publishers sided with GFWL because Microsoft promised them that it would be easier to port.

If you think about it, all API calls for network stuff are already done for the 360 version of a game. If the calls are the same for GFWL on PC, and since this is the Microsoft equivalent of DirectX they probably are very similar, and you could just port that part of the code directly from 360 to PC, it's a time and resource saver. The alternative would be code something specifically to the PC version (before Steamworks was what is is now).

Remember, Borderlands used GameSpy, of all people. Maybe some online services have pre-existing deals with publishers on the PC market, I don't know. GFWL at least makes some sense: Parity with the already existing console version of a game... now, GameSpy?

Nabs

AA just got a nice update in the registry:

3 minutes ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
3 minutes ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
3 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp35010\SteamKey
3 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry
3 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 282126 › 306564

The_Monk

yPPifbMl.png

After some hours I may be somewhat stuck in Knock Knock. The game is not clear on what you must do or how you must do it. It's okay, many games do this and it's nice for us to discover on our own (Dark Souls). However I reached one of the last levels and it seems that if you do not proceed to the next level/room/dream/nightmare whatever you want to call it you may be getting a Game Over screen the next time you will try to advance to the next level just like you normally would do.

Knock Knock have a very creepy and depressive atmosphere. Seems to be a great game to play in the upcoming Halloween. You will always feel that you are surrounded by someone or something, yet, you feel alone at the same time.

Now this is very clever: There are things that really help to create a tense mood in the game with such basic gameplay elements. Let's say something is approaching you. You hide but you are still visible. It's okay, because it does not matter if they can see you since it's you that can't see them because if you see them/it then it means they are real and if you believe they are real, then you must be hallucinating meaning you are losing it.

The game have more than one way to end, or to not end at all, in fact. Depending on some actions across the game, when you proceed further a larger enemy may be something for you and a very different one for me.

Immersion tip: In this game the sound of doors opening and closing are quite regular. If you have a sound system with a Subwoofer, placing the Sub below your desk near one of the corners gives you a much more real feeling that something is really knocking a door in your house. This adds to the atmosphere giving you a more intensifying experience when everything is silenced and then BAM!, someone shuts a door, and you feel the vibration.

In my opinion you don't get those jump scares we sometimes see (faked or not) on Youtube videos from games like playing Amnesia, in this game instead of "AAAH, Oh my God & Buddha, that is scary!!!" I got something more of: "That is creepy... go away, please, I don't want to look :( Just... leave me alone... :( "

With being said a Patch was recently released fixing a couple of issues, some bugs and something regarding a couple of Achievements not unlocking for some people. I can always start a new game, try to get it right this time, try to get a proper ending or see if I will see more fragments of memories that kinda randomly appear on the game or even to see what will appear when I'm near the end, but for now it's on stand-by.

FjJ0OHg.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't even get why somebody would ever even coonsider GFWL? Why did many devs use it? PC gamers have hated it since the start.

It's easy to look back on it now, especially since Steamworks has had countless updates and improvements since the last time GFWL updated. There were a few things at play there:

1) It was a platform being pushed by a major player in the industry.
2) That major player actually paid for games to use the platform, usually in cross-platform deals with its Xbox brand.
3) It was often presented to people as the easiest way to get a multiplatform game running on the PC with all the features present in the console version.

How successful it was at any of that is pretty evident and easy to deride now. But, back then, especially when money is being thrown at you, it was easy to look at it and not imagine the future hellscape of a Microsoft-dominated PC platform.

I have a normal Batman AA on GFWL store. I hope I can redeem that code on Steam and it gives me the normal version.

They certainly can.

The question is will they? I'd wager so.

fantomena

AA just got a nice update in the registry:

3 minutes ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
3 minutes ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
3 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp35010\SteamKey
3 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry
3 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 282126 › 306564

So GFWL is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom